Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is she going to.... is she going to kill him and use his soul in her Candy Crush game? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Rorus Raz posted:

Varvel seems fairly against the law, so I saw that as typical worship of the free market.

Then again, how often is "Big Business" used in a positive context?

Still not convinced of that. If it helps any, here's his (I assume it's his) caption at Indy Star: "Governor Mike Pence felt the heat over RFRA, as the LGBT took advantage of Big Business' threats of leaving the state to force a change." e: beaten. If anything these seem like "a thing happened" but there's still something telling in the way he casts the characters (the cufflinks on Big Biz for instance, and apparently Pence is a tiny pointy eared woodland sprite for some reason)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alnilam posted:

Is she going to.... is she going to kill him and use his soul in her Candy Crush game? :ohdear:

The person on the left is secretly Majin Buu. A Fan Comic.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Rebochan posted:

I wasn't sure if this counted as "toons", but they seem to be sequential art, so whatever, have a nice dose of "SOME GIZMOS!" plus one "THUGS!"

Especially enjoying his random addition of "the" to Facebook, just to be double-sure he's interpreted as a crotchety old man.

Have another:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

f#a# posted:

Especially enjoying his random addition of "the" to Facebook, just to be double-sure he's interpreted as a crotchety old man.

Have another:

Thing is good?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Is that a legitimate concern in America? Are your wastewater treatment plants that bad? I've heard you can't drink tap water either. So what do you scrub your churches with? Thawed ice cubes imported from the arctic ocean?
Usually I like Two Bull but this seems just kind of weird. I would understand it if he told me that he has a problem with artifical snow and teraforming in general. But complaining that this water was in the treatment cycle before, seems ridiculous. And of course keeping the water in the taps is cheaper than using it to make snow, but then they wouldn't have any snow. That's such a pointless statement. "Why do you keep using this elevator? Cutting off the power would be so much cheaper."

I don't actually know why this cartoon annoys me such much. I guess I expected better. :sigh:
But do native American groups actually share that exact concern? I can't imagine they would prefer caught rainwater or something like that either.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

you can absolutely drink tap water in the US, it's more highly regulated than bottled water :confused:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

alnilam posted:

you can absolutely drink tap water in the US, it's more highly regulated than bottled water :confused:

Well...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rebochan posted:

I wasn't sure if this counted as "toons", but they seem to be sequential art, so whatever, have a nice dose of "SOME GIZMOS!" plus one "THUGS!"

Increasing interaction with electronic devices is causing a breakdown in direct communication between people negatively affecting socialization and humanities ability to connect and understand each other. A series of Fahrenheit 451 cartoons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

alnilam posted:

I thought as much. But I've heard that some people are really afraid of it. Tap water i usually fine. Well, unless it's burning fracking water.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Air is lava! posted:

I thought as much. But I've heard that some people are really afraid of it. Tap water i usually fine. Well, unless it's burning fracking water.

It's always and reliably potable, but the flavor isn't great.

There is a loving huge gap between the standards for potable water and the standards for reclaimed water. No, you wouldn't drink it, but it's not dirty by any reasonable definition, either. I would absolutely wash my church with it, if given the option. More reclaimed water should be available for stuff like that, it's harmless and it'd help disperse the stuff before it re-enters the water supply instead of just pouring out of the plant.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rorus Raz posted:

Alright...

If Tecumseh Sherman were alive today, I am confident he would treat political cartoonists and newspaper journalists with the same disdain he did in 1864.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
If presenting accurate information in a bland way with some profanity is "edgy," "crazy," or "offensive," to you, I repeat my advice to go outside more, maybe read a book. There's a reason why I post so many questions, if you get angry maybe it's because you don't like your own answers.

Harlan Ellison posted:

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”

Rorus Raz posted:

Thank god LGBT is profitable now! (kudos i guess to Varvel)

I can't buy any sex supplies without most of the money going to BIG GAY in Obama's America. :argh:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alnilam posted:

Unless you're in a rural area with a well, then that might not be an option.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rorus Raz posted:

"Lukewarmness" is my person sin. Also note the lack of homosexuality on there :gay:
It's there, you just need the right eyes to see it.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

f#a# posted:

It's not random. It was called "The Facebook" originally. Arrested Development had a joke about that on its The Netflick season.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Edit: Forget it.

BerkerkLurk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 6, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Neodoomium posted:

If Tecumseh Sherman were alive today, I am confident he would treat political cartoonists and newspaper journalists with the same disdain he did in 1864.

Hopefully he'd treat the south the same way too

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I am really struggling to see why this is bad

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I am really struggling to see why this is bad

"In my day we had journals with built in locks, because we knew not to share our feelings with anyone ever."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Saint Sputnik posted:

Hopefully he'd treat the south the same way too

:sherman:

If only. It's really shameful the amount of perceived persecution some people people feel.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

It's hosed up that there's even a ski resort in Arizona. According to the google, it is the only one, and it looks awful: http://goo.gl/maps/5xqj0.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

pwn posted:

It's there, you just need the right eyes to see it.

Right next to the sin of Approvalness, I see.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Flagstaff gets a shitton of snow iirc. They're one of the snowiest cities in the US

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Whoops, according to the wikipedia, you're right.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

nevermind :c00lbutt:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Deep Hurting posted:

It's not random. It was called "The Facebook" originally. Arrested Development had a joke about that on its The Netflick season.

Also, sarcastically and dismissively referring to a singular wedding as "the facebook event" doesn't require you to believe the website is called "the facebook".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Is that supposed to be a selfie stick, or is he getting on younguns and their "germ theory" about not wanting to touch the light switch in a public bathroom?

Post 9-11 User posted:

If presenting accurate information in a bland way with some profanity is "edgy," "crazy," or "offensive," to you, I repeat my advice to go outside more, maybe read a book.

You were Mr. Fish the entire time?! :psypop:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

there wolf posted:

I really want to know what Pitchforks assault on white men is but, much like when the horror movie finally shows the creepy monster, I feel like whatever it is will be a great letdown from what I'm imagining in my head.
In a stunning upset, Pitchfork was indeed being shits and Return of Kings is on the right side of something. I feel unclean.

Well, they're still poo poo about it, especially towards the end where it turns into the typical bitching about SJWs and Tumblrinas. There just happens to be a bit of truth under the usual bullshit. So don't give them a click and read my summary instead. Pitchfork writer Sarah Sahim wrote a piece that pillories Belle and Sebastian founder Stuart Murdoch for not being non-white.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/710-the-unbearable-whiteness-of-indie/

quote:

As a lover of Belle and Sebastian, I was disappointed, though certainly not surprised. Belle and Sebastian’s work is steeped in Whiteness; God Help the Girl merely underscores this. The film itself is an egregious mess that romanticizes a woman’s struggles with an eating disorder for the sake of Murdoch’s self-promotion. The optimistic, happy-go-lucky and painstakingly adorable aesthetic evidenced in every character he created is founded in Whiteness. Whiteness is beauty; Whiteness is what gives the character the ability to dream of fostering a career in music; Whiteness is what enables the audience to empathize with Eve’s character. A recurring filler in the film was a fictitious radio show where two men try to decipher what “real” indie is and every band mentioned is white, enforcing the film’s aspirational Whiteness. While Belle and Sebastian aren’t the only examples of perpetuating Whiteness through indie rock, this movie serves as a microcosmic view of what is wrought by racial exclusivity that is omnipresent in indie rock.
Murdoch responded on Twitter in appropriately brusque fashion. As reported by Digital Music News:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2015/03/26/stuart-murdoch-responds-article-racism-indie-rock-aw-fck-off

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

pwn posted:

In a stunning upset, Pitchfork was indeed being shits and Return of Kings is on the right side of something. I feel unclean.

Well, they're still poo poo about it, especially towards the end where it turns into the typical bitching about SJWs and Tumblrinas. There just happens to be a bit of truth under the usual bullshit. So don't give them a click and read my summary instead. Pitchfork writer Sarah Sahim wrote a piece that pillories Belle and Sebastian founder Stuart Murdoch for not being non-white.

Murdoch responded on Twitter in appropriately brusque fashion. As reported by Digital Music News:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2015/03/26/stuart-murdoch-responds-article-racism-indie-rock-aw-fck-off

pitchfork is capable of being incredibly, insanely, massively stupid

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the general election campaign – Prime minister warns against the risk of an Ed Miliband government propped up by Nicola Sturgeon" Also 6 pictures of David Cameron feeding a newborn lamb that will make you incredibly jealous

Independent:

Pension pots can now be raided for Lamborghinis, as discussed in 2014.

Times:

Election 2015: Ed Miliband wanted to be 'happy warrior' in TV debate

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Unironically what my grandparents-in-law believe

There doesn't seem to be a signature on this one but it's Mike Thompson of the Detroit Free Press

Varvel's just been shittin' cartoons about this all over the place

Ball is life

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

loquacius posted:

Thinking the moral of Jack and the Beanstalk is "Jack should never have bought those magic beans" is almost as horrible a misunderstanding of basic children's stories as Ted Cruz's reading of Green Eggs And Ham

After Barrack Obama climbed the Nuclear Threat stalk (???), grown from magic beans of suppression and economic hardships, he slayed the Giant of War and returned with the diplomatic goose that lays the golden eggs of peace. AGC.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Just gonna save this in my Gay Abortions folder.

Wait, what? The Iranian was telling the truth all along? The nuclear threat looks scary but if we follow where the Iranian man has lead us we'll find the solutions to all our problems?

How else do you interpret that story other than that Jack was the hero and everyone who mocked him was wrong?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VitalSigns posted:

Wait, what? The Iranian was telling the truth all along? The nuclear threat looks scary but if we follow where the Iranian man has lead us we'll find the solutions to all our problems?

How else do you interpret that story other than that Jack was the hero and everyone who mocked him was wrong?

Somewhere far above the Iranian nuclear threat is a large, angry man who wants to eat humans.

An I Got Nothin' Cartoon

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

"I think the good thing from the fairy tale is bad and the resulting metaphor actively works against my argument" is one of the most basic and well-proven conservative political cartoon blueprints.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

You could interpret it as Jack invaded and stole from the giants unprovoked and the giant was only acting in self defense. Literal castle doctrine.

Which still kind of works if Jack represents America.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

pwn posted:

I think I'm on Pitchfork's side with this one. The inde scene is super white, especially the parts of it that approach more mainstream music scenes, and white people in general are granted more prestige and credibility than POCs in art, even when it's a type of art that originated in a POC culture. That being said, I find this particular piece messy and a bit redundant.The author was trying to make a case for how the inde scene reinforces it's own homogenous image by excluding POC representation and devaluing POC artists, but the result is a scatter-shot collection of grievances rather than a cohesive pattern of behavior. Even if the subject matter is laudable, it's just not a good article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Varvel's just been shittin' cartoons about this all over the place

Lifelock is useless. A Good Cartoon.

• Locked thread