Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Get a medical certificate before your meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We are too cheap to open, please blame our teenage employees and Canberra.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

open24hours posted:

Get a medical certificate before your meeting.

Yea i'll be getting one a bit later when I can leave the house without lugging a bloody bucket around, this being QLD health i (wrongly) assumed medical matters would be handled pretty well.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Get a medical certificate and don't be intimidated by HR, stand up for yourself and argue your case. The meeting will probably be a 3 on 1 type thing so that they can try and intimidate you, be prepared for that. Don't be afraid to drop a few words like union or fairwork ombudsman.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

thatfatkid posted:

Get a medical certificate and don't be intimidated by HR, stand up for yourself and argue your case. The meeting will probably be a 3 on 1 type thing so that they can try and intimidate you, be prepared for that. Don't be afraid to drop a few words like union or fairwork ombudsman.

I've always struggled standing up for myself with this type of thing, if worse comes to worse I guess I can always rely on my mum whose worked for QLD health for years and knows the ins and outs. I appreciate the advice btw.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Post-surgical complications is a great buzzword to use, as well.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Open the wounds more so that during the interview you're spraying blood all over them when you talk.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I've always found that it helps to angry up a bit when you need to defend yourself and you know you're in the right. Negotiations and these sorts of confrontations aren't about right and wrong, law and norm, they're about image, they're about power disparity. Don't go in feeling uncertain and trying to save your own skin, get outraged that they're trying to wedge you into a lovely spot for their own personal gain, say "Why was I summoned to this meeting when I woke up one morning and half my mouth was falling out? Would you rather I drag myself to work and bled all over company property - is that what the law dictates I do? And why did I receive an ominous and threatening call and then get pushed in front of 3 higher ups because I had a medical condition that directly stemmed from a medical procedure that I already notified you of and followed through by the book? I don't appreciate being bullied like this and made to feel unsafe in my own place of work." etc etc

Then if they do anything other than apologise start suggesting that obviously they believe there's an issue that needs to be resolved, you feel like you're being deliberately pushed onto the wrong foot and made to feel unwelcome, and these discussions would probably be much better suited for union reps and the ombudsman to resolve

Or just loving gut the little fishy slugs

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2015

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've always found that it helps to angry up a bit when you need to defend yourself and you know you're in the right. Negotiations and these sorts of confrontations aren't about right and wrong, law and norm, they're about image, they're about power disparity. If you go in saying "Why was I summoned to this meeting when I woke up one morning and half my mouth was falling out? Would you rather I drag myself to work and bled all over company property - is that what the law dictates I do? And why did I receive an ominous and threatening call and then get pushed in front of 3 higher ups because I had a medical condition that directly stemmed from a medical procedure that I already notified you of and followed through by the book? I don't appreciate being bullied like this and made to feel unsafe in my own place of work." etc etc

Then if they do anything other than apologise start suggesting that obviously they believe there's an issue that needs to be resolved, you feel like you're being deliberately pushed onto the wrong foot and made to feel unwelcome, and these discussions would probably be much better suited for union reps and the ombudsman to resolve

Pretty much this.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've always found that it helps to angry up a bit when you need to defend yourself and you know you're in the right. Negotiations and these sorts of confrontations aren't about right and wrong, law and norm, they're about image, they're about power disparity. Don't go in feeling uncertain and trying to save your own skin, get outraged that they're trying to wedge you into a lovely spot for their own personal gain, say "Why was I summoned to this meeting when I woke up one morning and half my mouth was falling out? Would you rather I drag myself to work and bled all over company property - is that what the law dictates I do? And why did I receive an ominous and threatening call and then get pushed in front of 3 higher ups because I had a medical condition that directly stemmed from a medical procedure that I already notified you of and followed through by the book? I don't appreciate being bullied like this and made to feel unsafe in my own place of work." etc etc

Being spineless maybe I should go with option B and just collect some blood today, smear it over my face tomorrow and walk in, like war paint.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
They'll probably start by wheedling and using shifty sneaky little "see it from the company's perspective, you understand this is a problem, think of what could have gone wrong" arguments that unbalance you and disarm you and build up to the point where you're obliged to make an apology and offer restitution. Don't accept a single part of it and stick to the truth, which is that you felt bullied and harassed and threatened by the phone call, you feel like the company is trying to discourage people from safeguarding their own personal physical health, you feel like you are being harassed for being sick even though you did everything right, and you don't understand - full stop, flat out - why they even called you or are making a deal of it, and you don't understand what they're trying to achieve. Say "can you take a minute to explain to me why the company didn't act like any reasonable, considerate company would, one that cared about its employees, and have said: 'oh I'm so sorry to hear there were complications from the invasive medical surgery you had last week, of which we were fully aware. Of course nobody would expect you to come in to work today when you're clearly not in a position to work, rest up and I hope you get better soon, please let us know how you're going' ? What was so difficult about that, which is the standard human response, and why did you feel the need to harass me and drag me into a meeting as though I had committed some horrible crime by suffering a medical complication?"

And then pull out your knife and jam it in the sawdust-packed repository where a human heart would ordinarily be

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Don't be spineless just be angry. Just take deep, slow breaths, repeat "this is bullshit" mentally while you're spiking up, and don't say anything in the meantime. Not even backchannelling ("uh huh", "okay", "sure", "no", "mmhmm", "uh", nodding, shaking head, etc) - there are human beings on the other side of the table as well, even if they are unmitigated pieces of domineering poo poo, and they can only proceed if they believe they have the power and can get away with it. So while you're building the courage to say "no I don't think that's correct at all", don't help them work up steam. They'll peter out and lose confidence a lot faster if you don't do the subconscious human backchannelling stuff that we normally do to help foster conversation.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Then vomit the blood you've been swallowing during the interview.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Say "can you take a minute to explain to me why the company didn't act like any reasonable, considerate company would, one that cared about its employees, and have said: 'oh I'm so sorry to hear there were complications from the invasive medical surgery you had last week, of which we were fully aware. Of course nobody would expect you to come in to work today when you're clearly not in a position to work, rest up and I hope you get better soon, please let us know how you're going' ? What was so difficult about that, which is the standard human response, and why did you feel the need to harass me and drag me into a meeting as though I had committed some horrible crime by suffering a medical complication?"

And then pull out your knife and jam it in the sawdust-packed repository where a human heart would ordinarily be

I do like these two options, honestly just talking about this has made less nervous +1 for Auspol.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Hell if you really are that ineffectually spineless just memorise a line like "I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable talking about this in this setting, I really do believe I've been made to feel uncomfortable, I'd much rather discuss this over the phone or via email". You'll sound and look like a nappy-wearing manchild, which may or may not be true, but the alternative to self-defensive confrontation is to just let people walk all over you your entire life in which case why post at all if you knew you were never going to be able to follow the advice people offered. Hence: get angry, because it's a good way to overcome self-doubt and uncertainty

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

open24hours posted:

You have to post the ad.

Wow they can get hosed.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
It might also help to review your contract so that you're fully aware of what leave you're entitled to. And if what you did is allowed according to your contract (which it should be), highlight that section and bring it to the meeting.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadeoses posted:

Knowing HR they would see that as a sign of weakness.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bowmore posted:

Knowing HR they would see that as a sign of weakness.

They'd drink it :drac:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

"I'm sorry if my words have upset you but I really do believe you are responsible for creating a hostile work environment that is entirely untenable and, moreover, was wholly unjustifi-" *spew chunks of blood on the table* "Excuse me, wholly unjustified. Was there anything else?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

norp posted:

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/comment/antipenalty-rates-campaign-backfires-20150406-1mfblu.html

Amazing, just simply amazing. I can't believe they thought this campaign was a good idea.

And now for the truth:

quote:

Bully tactics: Unionists bullies name and shame small business on Facebook for closing over Easter

UNIONISTS have orchestrated a bullying campaign against small business owners who are shutting up shop over the Easter long weekend ­because they cannot afford to pay their staff exorbitant public holiday penalty rates.

A Facebook page created to “name and shame” businesses that decided it was cheaper to close than pay teenage staff $350 a day just to clear away plates is posting photographs of operators who have publicly called for a change to the penalty rates regime.

Union supporters are urging people to swamp the social media sites of businesses that spoke about the impact of penalty rates to The Saturday Telegraph and other media this week and condemn them.

And yet nobody who has called for a change to penalty rates has asked for the scheme to be abolished, just modified.

“Head over to their page and let them know that you won’t spend a cent at a business lobbying against the workers,” the official post on Facebook stated.

A couple in Mudgee were attacked simply because they spoke to local media about being forced to close and lose precious business because they couldn’t afford to open.

“You can pop on over to their pages and let them know why penalty rates are so important, and why you won’t spend a cent at any business owned by someone who is actively lobbying to exploit their workers out of well-earned holiday pay,” the post read.

Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Kate Carnell ­described the social media slurs as “intimidation tactics”.

“In recent days we’ve seen union activists incite their supporters to hurl digital abuse at business operators just for speaking up,” she said.

“Intimidation tactics like this are designed to silence businesses and shut down debate.”

Ms Carnell said all operators were open to paying the penalty rates, but believed the double-time-and-a-half rate was no longer in line with community expectations. Many staff were comfortable to work for a lower rate rather than have the day off, but could not as it was illegal to do so.

“Penalty rates are here to stay,” Ms Carnell said. “The debate is about whether the rates are in line with community expectations.”

ACTU president Ged Kearney accused businesses of “using the Easter break as justification to attack penalty rates by saying it’s unaffordable to hire more workers”.

“While the rest of us wind down for the Easter break, millions of Australian workers will give up their family time, and they should be compensated.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...1-1227290679731

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Hordes of aggressive thugs have been roaming the streets of defenseless suburbia harassing innocent housewives and retirees, threatening reprisals if they don't vote for the Greens this election.

"It's nothing short of assault," said Mike Baird, true leader of the free world. "They come to people's houses, invading their personal space as burglars do, and demand that they vote for the Greens. If people don't, they say, then all sorts of terrible things will happen to them, and it will be their own fault. It should be illegal, but the police say there's nothing they can do."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"you have to call in when you are going to be late because we got worried you might have been in a car accident or injured and couldnt get to work! it has nothing to do with the micromanagement to systematically break your spirit so you bend to our every will!"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anger management for angry managers.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

"I'm sorry if my words have upset you but I really do believe you are responsible for creating a hostile work environment that is entirely untenable and, moreover, was wholly unjustifi-" *spew chunks of blood on the table* "Excuse me, wholly unjustified. Was there anything else?"

do this. Get mad, get your due

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Also even if they flip out and back right off, don't forget at some point to be like "Hey just to confirm, someone on the phone threatened that my contract would not be renewed because I called in sick yesterday. Can you comment on that?"

And then put on your glasses and tap your pen against your teeth as you stare at them in polite interest as they are all like oh yes well oh hum mm okay oh well that's.. uh.. if.. in the event of your.. contract... hm well oh i'll have to check into that ??

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

then yell OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR and shuffle your papers a bunch because they'll never believe you're a lawyer otherwise, not even if i trained you myself

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tarantula posted:

Hey guys I need a little advice, last week I had my wisdom teeth taken out I took the week off and told my boss all seemed well. When I brushed my teeth today I must have cut or damaged the blood clot or something and i've been spitting and crap all morning, I rang my boss on the only contact number I had (I was never given his work number or anything), then i get a call back and i'm told I have to have a meeting with HR tomorrow when I come in for possibly "abandoning work" or something like that, it seems like a bunch of crap to me because I thought I was doing the right thing by not turning up at work with a bloody mouth and contacting my boss with the only number i have. They also told me that if I will probably not be getting an extension on my contract. Did I actually do anything wrong?

Man, gently caress everything today! This is old but I think it has an appropriate vibe:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

open24hours posted:

You have to post the ad.

At least this looks like being electoral poison that the government is probably too scared to touch.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

The more time I have to think on it the better I feel about it. Time to get me a transfer to use this for a transfer to a different location! HEP C FOR EVERYONE

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

open24hours posted:

You have to post the ad.

I strongly encourage everybody to visit http://toobigtoignore.org.au and "Add Your Voice," as I just did, by sending them something along the lines of the concise message I just sent, which was "gently caress you, you greedy pieces of poo poo."

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tarantula posted:

The more time I have to think on it the better I feel about it. Time to get me a transfer to use this for a transfer to a different location! HEP C FOR EVERYONE

I dont know what this means or what your work contract/situation is like but one thing to remember is that there is no base level of moral/social justice or righteousness in the world, and if you cant or dont stand up for yourself then your default position in the event of conflicting interests will always be that of 'victim'. Not saying you can win every battle or that you should turn every conflict of interest into a battle, but if you dont have the capacity or the will to stand up for yourself then start scaling down sharply your expectations from life.

If you do struggle with it then like I said, get angry. Fixate on it and hold on to the outrage because your brain will flood your body with hormones that do whatever the gently caress makes you want to punch poo poo, then point it at these idiots who were probably the very same people throwing cold chips at the back of your head at lunch if you squint your eyes just a little

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

You have to post the ad.

Goatse?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And yet nobody who has called for a change to penalty rates has asked for the scheme to be abolished, just modified.

modify all those penalty rates away :sweep:

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I dont know what this means or what your work contract/situation is like but one thing to remember is that there is no base level of moral/social justice or righteousness in the world, and if you cant or dont stand up for yourself then your default position in the event of conflicting interests will always be that of 'victim'. Not saying you can win every battle or that you should turn every conflict of interest into a battle, but if you dont have the capacity or the will to stand up for yourself then start scaling down sharply your expectations from life.

If you do struggle with it then like I said, get angry. Fixate on it and hold on to the outrage because your brain will flood your body with hormones that do whatever the gently caress makes you want to punch poo poo, then point it at these idiots who were probably the very same people throwing cold chips at the back of your head at lunch if you squint your eyes just a little

The encouragement really helps, I dont see how thet can get far if I have a certificate for the surgery and today, the doctor I go to is good i'm sure he might write something extra on their for me.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Tokamak posted:

modify all those penalty rates away :sweep:

It seems alot of people don't realize how many people get penalty rates, road workers won't be happy working Saturday/Sunday without them and Grader drivers are a pushy bunch.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

freebooter posted:

I strongly encourage everybody to visit http://toobigtoignore.org.au and "Add Your Voice," as I just did, by sending them something along the lines of the concise message I just sent, which was "gently caress you, you greedy pieces of poo poo."

Done! Not quite as concise, though.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tarantula posted:

The encouragement really helps, I dont see how thet can get far if I have a certificate for the surgery and today, the doctor I go to is good i'm sure he might write something extra on their for me.

If you like, let that be their face-saving measure. Go at them hard and basically point out how you've been made to feel harassed and bullied for doing nothing wrong but getting sick from a medical procedure that you already cleared with them and did everything by the book for. Ask them what they could possibly want from you, or do they demand that their employees never get sick?

Then when they're starting to regret making a fuss and wishing they'd picked someone weaker to bully, you can lead them to "What do you really want? Do you not believe me, are you basically accusing me of lying about the whole thing? If so, I'll turn up to work tomorrow, dump my stuff, and then I'll head to my doctor on company time and have him write a note saying yes, Tarantula is not a liar, I really did rip a bunch of his body out of his mouth last week". Then they can either say "oh no no you dont need to do that, dont worry, its fine" or they can pay you to go and get a stupid doctor's certificate and throw it in their dumb gross faces

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

also it feels good. I yelled at a taxi driver here for like 5 minutes in broken italian a year ago because the girls in the back had been speaking in really feral and yokel english (brummies) and he saw fit to take us for a ride. didn't get our money back but made me feel better about myself

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

freebooter posted:

pisswhiskers posted:

gently caress off you greed filled gently caress nugget.
penalty rates are what separate us from working poverty America. unions worked hard to get a fair rate of pay and fair conditions, if you can't loving keep afloat while treating workers like actual worthwhile human beings maybe you should quit business and learn some ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least their facebook page is mostly people giving them poo poo

• Locked thread