Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Amos Moses posted:

Oh I was yelling at that CI moron.

Things cannot continue as they are. There should be no pleasure from what is to come. That guy seems to smugpost and jerk himself off everytime some bad news about the economy comes around. As tough as the coming days are going to be taking pleasure in hardship is loving disgusting.

You have to be a literaly crazy person to get that loving giddy about failure.

I know plenty of over-leveraged idiots living paycheque to paycheque who consider my lack of post-secondary to be the worst decision a person could possibly make and take relish in reminding me of it, while never having struggled a single day in their lives to get where they are. I look forward to watching them lose everything while I peace out to the developing world and enjoy living life off my massive savings. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
CI posts good links alongside his glee so I don't mind. At least his posts are interesting.

Also I've come around to the "people who live way beyond their means deserve to get hosed" mentality. You don't need to be a genius to realize that hey maybe you shouldn't spend money you don't have.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

OhYeah posted:

1. Stop eating so much, you fat bastard
2. Get off your lazy rear end and move around for a bit.

There you go. I just saved some guy 26 grand.

In this case she is lazy as the government will pay for bypass surgery is required for medical reasons (like my wife after her last pregnancy drove her type 1 out of control)

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amos Moses posted:

Sorry not all Canadians can be so educated to be as euphoric as you are when you flex that mighty fiscal prowess you've got going on there.

You're taking some sick pleasure in other peoples ignorance. Joe Schlub the pipefitter from newfoundland isn't trying to hurt anybody. Good on you for wishing he becomes bankrupt.

You're garbage and you have a chip on your shoulder.

The reasons things are the way they are is because that ignorance is being fellatiated by every level of society from your mom and dad to the PMO.

This isn't some virtue you're defending, it is the wholesale selling of EVERYONES future and everyone participating in it is scum and deserve everything coming to them. I plan on sipping a fine wine and toasting everyone's surprising comeuppance. gently caress them.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 6, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amos Moses posted:

Oil picking up steam now drat.

Crude Oil (WTI) USD/bbl. 52.14 +3.00 +6.11% May 15 13:21:46
Crude Oil (Brent) USD/bbl. 58.18 +3.23 +5.88% May 15 13:22:01

Probably never see 100+ again but this is a pretty big mid day rally.

lmao doesn't change how Alberta baselined their province budget on $75+ oil or how the energy sector has cut billions of dollars in capex plus done layoffs galore.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

lmao doesn't change how Alberta baselined their province budget on $75+ oil or how the energy sector has cut billions of dollars in capex plus done layoffs galore.

Literally who gives a gently caress (apart from the government)? The assholes who were making mad amounts of money during the boom should've saved it for the inevitable bust, because this has happened literally multiple times in my life already. It's pretty predictable, so anyone who failed to account for that can get hosed.

The Alberta government is run by retards and I very much want to vote them out, no question. We saw all the signs coming up to this, though, and we still re-elected the cunts, so I suppose we can only blame ourselves.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
LITERALLY no one gives a poo poo about this RECOVERY of oil prices because of this thing called volatility you retards.

https://twitter.com/SBarlow_ROB/status/585166195361456128

LITERALLY now would be a good moment for you idiots to take some time to google 'contango' and pause and reflect upon this implication for oil prices.

Oh yeah btw, if you think Yemen is going to make oil prices go back up to $100 consider for a moment that the loving saudis have the 4th largest military in the world, consisting of some really new poo poo that the americans. If you think a bunch of country bumpkins with AKs and toyota hiluxes are going to seriously disrupt oil prices i recommend you hedge your oil futures pocket money and invest in condos in the best place on earth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

LITERALLY no one gives a poo poo about this RECOVERY of oil prices because of this thing called volatility you retards.

LITERALLY now would be a good moment for you idiots to take some time to google 'contango' and pause and reflect upon this implication for oil prices.

Oh yeah btw, if you think Yemen is going to make oil prices go back up to $100 consider for a moment that the loving saudis have the 4th largest military in the world, consisting of some really new poo poo that the americans. If you think a bunch of country bumpkins with AKs and toyota hiluxes are going to seriously disrupt oil prices i recommend you hedge your oil futures pocket money and invest in condos in the best place on earth

Also despite the rapid shutdown of rigs, US oil production is expected to 8% higher than last year.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whilst eating lunch in the square, I listened to a grizzled old construction worker advise his younger companion how best to rustle up his taxes so that he could afford the payments on a $750k house instead of just a $500k one, in the event interest rates jump back to 7 or 8%.

So close to responsibility, yet so far.

:negative:

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard the Saudi's have all the latest toys and a huge budget but the quality of their troops is "which is the shooty end of this rifle??" and their officers and leadership are a corrupt clusterfuck of bought promotions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We're talking about a bunch of al qaeda funded shitlords with 5 wives who'd literally rather be playing candy crush than sweating to death in a cave. Even the CF could steam roll these idiots.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.canadianmortgagetrends.com/canadian_mortgage_trends/2015/03/broker-boot-sparks-questions.html

quote:

#1 – What on earth is a rate comparison website?

That’s not a joke. Millions of Canadians still don’t even know what rate sites are.

As of last fall, only 16% of customers used them to research mortgages, according to a CAAMP survey. Slowly but surely, the media is spreading the word about these sites (that they aggregate mortgage rates to facilitate comparison shopping).

(Full disclosure: This author operates a separate mortgage comparison site where my own brokerage advertises, as well as Spin Mortgage and others.)

#2 – Why would a broker get booted from a rate comparison website?

Like most such sites, RateHub bills itself as having the “best mortgage rates.” Whether Spin Mortgage’s 5-year fixed rate was the “best” is debatable, but it was certainly the lowest on several occasions.

But that wasn’t enough for Alyssa Furtado, RateHub founder. She claimed that Spin’s rate applied to only 10% of borrowers. RateHub asserts that the offer misled and disappointed too many RateHub visitors, who called the company to complain.

At least one or two big-broker advertisers also complained to Furtado. They didn’t like how Spin Mortgage would jump on the site for an hour or two and then hop off after getting its fill of leads. The practice threatened the brokers’ application pipelines and margins.

On top of this all, one broker customer, Ron Butler, accused Spin Mortgage’s website of attempting to “bait” customers with a low rate and then “switch” them into a higher rate.

Can you imagine if Vancity or Prospera or some poo poo did this?

30% of Canada's GDP depends on FIRE and this poo poo is allowed.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

http://www.canadianmortgagetrends.com/canadian_mortgage_trends/2015/03/broker-boot-sparks-questions.html

Can you imagine if Vancity or Prospera or some poo poo did this?

30% of Canada's GDP depends on FIRE and this poo poo is allowed.

Pffft!

Sounds like this commie wants to have regulations for 30% of the economy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I've heard the Saudi's have all the latest toys and a huge budget but the quality of their troops is "which is the shooty end of this rifle??" and their officers and leadership are a corrupt clusterfuck of bought promotions.

Basically all arab militaries are like this, only good for terrorizing the local population due to a massive laundry list of structural problems and pretty much useless for waging a real military campaign.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
COVER YOUR EYES, DEEPLY IMMORAL SCHADENFREUDE INCOMING

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle23815533/

quote:

Energy investors are dreading what they are about to see – the financial ravages of a full quarter of deeply depressed oil prices.

First-quarter results in the oil patch are bound to be ugly, featuring double-digit drops in revenue and likely another round of budget cuts as the sector deals with the prospect of a lengthy downturn.

The first three months of the year were marred by oil and gas prices that tumbled by half. West Texas intermediate averaged below $50 (U.S.).

“With commodity prices still low, and continuing to fall from when a lot of the budgets were done in late December and early January, we may see revised capital budgets here,” said Jeremy McCrea, analyst at AltaCorp Capital Inc.

For a few producers, it could represent the third reduction in planned expenditures since initial budgets were set in late 2014.

In the past three months, numerous companies clawed back spending to cope with low commodity prices, forcing a steep drop in the Canadian rig count, delays in some major projects and industry-wide layoffs that now number in the thousands.

More job cuts are likely as producers with high proportions of debt, falling cash flow and scant avenues to attract new capital seek to stay afloat. Some analysts have said they expect merger and acquisition activity to start picking up as weaker players run out of options.

Integrated oil producers and refiners Suncor Energy Inc. and Cenovus Energy Inc. kick off first-quarter reporting on April 29. Both have refining, or “downstream,” operations, which benefited from a sizable price spread between U.S. benchmark West Texas intermediate crude and Brent oil, the international yardstick.

The other publicly traded Canadian refiners are Imperial Oil Ltd., which reports the following day, and Husky Energy Inc., which releases its numbers on May 6.

“For the integrateds, especially those with Canadian operations, their refining business should have an excellent quarter in terms of profits – like, fantastic,” FirstEnergy Capital Corp. analyst Michael Dunn said.

North American gasoline prices are largely set in the global market, owing to a large U.S. export business for petroleum products. The discount on WTI has recently been about $10 (U.S.) a barrel as U.S. inventories have surged, allowing the refiners to reap rewards from bargain feedstock in the form of wide margins, Mr. Dunn said.

For oil and gas producers, however, results will display the impact of low prices, especially those firms exposed to battered markets with no commodity or currency hedges in place. The fourth-quarter numbers did not reflect the full impact of oil’s plunge since prices were still relatively strong in the first part of that period.

In the first quarter, WTI averaged $48.49 a barrel, down 51 per cent from the year before, as world oil supplies kept climbing despite weakening demand in major consuming countries in Europe and Asia.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, led by Saudi Arabia, has given no indication that plans are afoot to reduce production quotas, leading some analysts to project many more months of weakness.

Alberta benchmark natural gas was also about half the value of last year, at about $2.22 a thousand cubic feet. In some regional markets, such as those served by the Alliance and Spectra Energy pipelines in northwestern Alberta and northeastern British Columbia, prices were even weaker due to maintenance constraints on TransCanada Corp.’s competing Alberta pipeline network.

Oil-industry spending could fall this year to $44-billion (Canadian) from $56-billion in 2014, the Conference Board of Canada predicted. Still, first-quarter oil sands output will show an overall increase because new projects, already under construction when prices fell, started up, Mr. Dunn said. In addition, established players have showed operational improvements, pushing more supply into the market.

Suncor, for example, reported record production last week, and Canadian Oil Sands Ltd., the largest interest owner in the Syncrude Canada Ltd. partnership, announced a third consecutive month of stable output.

Good thing oil will be back up at $100/bbl by the end of the year. :laugh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In a related note:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle23769285/

quote:

If Tasha Ptasinski had put her Calgary condo on the market last year before oil prices crashed, she would have come out farther ahead.

“I bought it almost exactly two years ago for $310,000,” the occupational therapist says, describing the 1,100-square-foot unit she owns in the city’s southwest.

“I’m now hoping to sell it because I’m getting married and my fiancé owns a house. I was hoping to sell it for $399,000, but we’ve only had three showings in a week and a half, so now I’m looking at dropping the price by $10,000. I was hoping to list it for $20,000 more but it has been on the market for more than three months and it hasn’t moved.”

It’s not much better for Ola Malik as a prospective buyer either. “I’m looking to buy a smaller residential home in Marda Loop [also in south Calgary],” says Mr. Malik, a 44-year-old lawyer who works for the city.

“The problem with buying is that there’s a lot of inventory right now. You see a lot of homes for sale, and while they’re at reductions of 10 per cent, if you’re selling your house to buy one you also have to take a hit.”

Welcome to the new reality in Alberta’s post-oil-shock housing scene. It’s not quite a bust – not yet at least – but it does leave buyers and market watchers wondering.

“It is expected that Calgary will move from a seller’s market to a more balanced market,” says analyst Ben Myers of Fortress Real Developments, who has just published the company’s semi-annual survey of Canada’s real estate scene.

“In October, Calgary was ranked as the top real estate market to watch for 2015. That optimism has faded. ... Demand clearly exceeded supply in late stages of 2014,” he says.

Meanwhile, Fort McMurray, the oil sands centre to the north, experienced a 66-per-cent decline year-over-year in housing sales in February, after posting an annual decline of more than 53 per cent the month before. In February just 48 homes were sold in the city of 76,000, according to MLS figures.

In Edmonton’s market, by comparison, “Potential layoffs in oil and gas may be fewer than some expect,” says Mr. Myers, citing a recent survey by the human resources company Mercer.

“The survey of 154 oil and gas industry organizations in the U.S., Canada and Mexico conducted in December and January reveal that just 16 per cent of those firms may reduce staff this year,” he adds.

That’s already a few months ago though, and as low energy prices linger, layoffs continue. Talisman Energy has cut its work force by 10 to 15 per cent (up to 200 jobs), ConocoPhillips Canada has announced 200 job cuts and Nexen has said it too is chopping 400 jobs. “These are good jobs. You have a lot of engineers getting laid off,” says Mr. Malik. “Homes that are selling at $850,000 or higher are not moving very fast [in Calgary].”

Just this week, the Calgary Real Estate Board released statistics showing that home prices in the city slipped for the second month in a row in March, down 0.85 per cent since the start of the year. (Figures from Edmonton’s board indicated average prices grew 1 per cent in February year-over-year and were slightly higher than in January.)

Calgary real estate agent Marc Doll agrees that the market is sluggish compared to a year ago, but he doesn’t think it’s time for anyone to push the panic button yet.

“There seems to have been a lot of speculation that Calgary was going to fall off a cliff when it came to oil prices going down, but I’m personally not seeing that,” he says. There are still buyers and he has had properties with multiple bids offered (which is commonplace in still-hot markets such as Vancouver or Toronto).

Realtors in the Calgary market are selling about 400 homes a week right now, Mr. Doll says. “It’s kind of on the lower end, more tending toward the buyer than the seller. You’d like to see that market at more than 500 but it’s not the end of the world.”

In early March there were about 5,700 homes for sale in the Calgary area, Mr. Doll adds. That’s a lot but not nearly as much of a glut as in 2009 just after the stock market crash, when 11,000 homes were on the market. “That was about the worst market I experienced in 10 years,” he says.

Calgary homes of between 1,200 and 1,600 square feet in the $400,000 range are getting the most traction from prospective buyers, Mr. Doll says. Those in the desirable inner-Calgary communities that trend up toward $1-million are moving more slowly.

One thing keeping the market moving even with low oil prices and layoffs is record low mortgage rates. “It’s basically free money,” Mr. Doll says.

This doesn’t make things easy for those in most need of housing, says Sue Tomney, chief executive officer of the YWCA of Calgary. “For the women and families we serve, it doesn’t address their issues of poverty, which prevents them from renting an apartment if they could find one,” she says.

Also clever real estate agent doesn't understand the connection between oil prices and inflated alberta real estate

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

The reasons things are the way they are is because that ignorance is being fellatiated by every level of society from your mom and dad to the PMO.

This isn't some virtue you're defending, it is the wholesale selling of EVERYONES future and everyone participating in it is scum and deserve everything coming to them. I plan on sipping a fine wine and toasting everyone's surprising comeuppance. gently caress them.

But this is part of the problem. You'd expect a young person's financial ignorance to be reigned in by institutions and people who have come before them and have tons more experience/expertise. Instead this ignorance is being supported. It's like the student loan crisis in America. Everyone is borrowing huge loans to pay for college, so obviously that must be a good investment, right? And yet parents and banks don't tell these 18-year olds that maybe it isn't, or maybe they should figure out what it's actually like to live under a lot of debt before they go signing papers, etc.

I'm of the opinion that you can't really blame the young and inexperienced for their ignorance if it's being so widely supported. That's like blaming a teenager for having a kid when their state provided no sex education. Of course the did something stupid, they didn't know there was a smarter alternative.

And yet it's those people who are going to suffer the most, though the broader society will also feel the effects.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Just a little note: the people who they're fighting, the Houthis, are Shia (so allegedly funded by Iran) and have been doing this insurgency thing almost since the 1970s. In fact, they're one of the reasons Egypt ended up on the pro-US side: years of fighting there made them broke.

Also, the Saudi military isn't known for being the most professional in the world. Consider their original operation into Yemen, which they called "Scorched Earth". American weapons don't come with American training and American tactics (and an American command structure/officer corps).

To bring it back to the thread though, there's no way this, or anything short of world war, brings oil close to $100 in the near future. The Saudi plan to stop the expansion of shale gas/alternative sources seems to have worked really well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Isentropy posted:

To bring it back to the thread though, there's no way this, or anything short of world war, brings oil close to $100 in the near future. The Saudi plan to stop the expansion of shale gas/alternative sources seems to have worked really well.

Not really it failed miserably given how even with the rig downsizing, oil producing areas like the US will actually crank out even more this year.

It will naturally case some pain leading to smaller companies going under but I don't see the low $50 price changing any time soon. You can also pretty much forget about seeing $100+ oil too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

In a related note:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle23769285/

Also clever real estate agent doesn't understand the connection between oil prices and inflated alberta real estate
I don't understand the complaints here, except unless they view property as a liquid asset.

The oil shock is a few months old by now. Why are these fools acting like they're surprised that things on the ground aren't reflective of oil prices a year ago?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Y'all acting like Canadians aren't innumerate morans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/former-bank-of-canada-adviser-says-zero-rate-inescapable-in-oil-shocked-canada

lovely Canadian economy most likely to lead to 0% interest rate.

quote:

Canada’s central bank will eventually join global peers by cutting interest rates to zero to revive flagging output, said Fidelity Investments’ David Wolf.

Lawrence Summers says U.S. may just have lost its role as underwriter of the global economic system

“This failure of strategy and tactics was a long time coming, and it should lead to a comprehensive review of the U.S. approach to global economics.” Keep reading.
The world’s 11th-largest economy is hobbled by weak oil prices, indebted consumers and a currency that remains too strong to draw new business investment, Wolf, a former Bank of Canada adviser under Mark Carney, said Monday from Toronto.

Stephen Poloz, Carney’s successor, already cut rates once in January to 0.75% as “insurance” against plummeting crude prices. Swaps trading shows investors are betting on just one more rate cut this year. That probably won’t be enough for Canada to avoid becoming mired in weak global demand like other major economies have, Wolf said.

There’s a reason why rates are zero just about everywhere else in the developed world
“There’s a reason why rates are zero just about everywhere else in the developed world,” Wolf, who co-manages the $7.4 billion Canadian Asset Allocation Fund, said in a telephone interview.

In Canada, zero rates are “what eventually will happen” as well, he said.

The Bank of Canada makes its next interest-rate decision on April 15.

Carney cut the benchmark overnight lending rate to 0.25% in April 2009, saying it was effectively zero, and laid out principles for potential quantitative easing. Canada never joined the U.S., Europe and Japan in using that unconventional policy of asset purchases.

“No doubt the bank would take a fresh look at what options would be appropriate,” he said.

Canada’s dollar is at “roughly fair value” today, Wolf said, and needs to weaken further before companies are encouraged to make new investments to expand locally.

The currency traded at C$1.2463 against its U.S. counterpart at 2:02 p.m. in Toronto, and is down about 6.8% this year.

“Just going from overvalued to fair valued historically hasn’t been enough to prompt those changes and I don’t think will be in this case either,” he said.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Yup.

However, on the glide path to oversupply we are going to get bear rallies like this where something stupid leads to a minor rip. Keeping production off market is tough. If you are choking back production those 45% year decline curves for the most agressive wells glide path to 18%, which matches their post-3 year rate. Which is why production lags rig utilization in the current PADD numbers posted by Baker Hughes. The kicker is that it takes new production about 5 days to pull backlog out of inventory, and +2 days to plug (tie in) the new wells into the system. This leads the supply cushion, the amount of production ready to replace old supply at an ever accelerating rate, and since production is done on a accounting last in first out method, everyone is always eager to turn back on the taps as soon as it makes economic, or post-tax economics to frac it. This ensures there will always be volumes of oil to flood into the market, keeping prices depressed. Jeff Currie at Goldman is doing a good talk on CNBC about this, as is Ballsnay Capital tomorrow.

Saudi market share is decreasing actually, and as of last week they were raising prices to price match on cargos being sent to China for June delivery. So that intra-OPEC cannibalization was what led to half of the spike today, the other third being dollar risk taking intraday which you can tell as momentum falls into the end of day prints on heavy selling pressure (heavy downticks) and the residual being a fresh backlog in tankers being unable to land in Texas to unload fresh cargoes. So the energy inventory numbers will be lower than expected, as more is parked offshore gulf of mexico, to splooge the market in 3 weeks.

Martin actually is arguing the same thing you are; because Contango will accelerate as more volumes rush to market, pushing the curve steeper; which makes it all the more lucrative for refiners to lock in profits, at the expense of upstream who must dump more crude to lockin revneue to meet fixed cost obligations. Now if we have any line outages, or bottlenecks in tanker supply, then differentials widen, and the loss dumping accelerates until someone goes boom. In which case, Keyera and Kinder Morgan building our own version of Cushing OK. for Canada excess capacity so we are not dumping our only resource backing our percieved national stability is a pretty smart idea.

If however you are a refinery, you are happier than Milhouse in flood pants. Since even if you are selling it for negative profits, you can effectively pass the losses down into the upstream margins, which will feed back into the currency FX market and local job market.

On another note, everyone saw the Govt sold off their GM shares today, right ? Huge block trade and I'm curious to hear what people think those shares capital gains should be used for. Don't say a 1 time tax break. Please. On a scale of 1 to fiscal crisis, I would rate the sale of that block, well below the intrinsic value of GM (price to book; nothing sekret about that analysis or stock opinion) as being on par with the privitzation of a minor crown company. Which goes to show just how dead set serious Harper is about keeping all cards on the table before downgrading Canada's credit rating, and causing more problems for the FX/labor markets.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2015

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

But this is part of the problem. You'd expect a young person's financial ignorance to be reigned in by institutions and people who have come before them and have tons more experience/expertise. Instead this ignorance is being supported. It's like the student loan crisis in America. Everyone is borrowing huge loans to pay for college, so obviously that must be a good investment, right? And yet parents and banks don't tell these 18-year olds that maybe it isn't, or maybe they should figure out what it's actually like to live under a lot of debt before they go signing papers, etc.

I'm of the opinion that you can't really blame the young and inexperienced for their ignorance if it's being so widely supported. That's like blaming a teenager for having a kid when their state provided no sex education. Of course the did something stupid, they didn't know there was a smarter alternative.

And yet it's those people who are going to suffer the most, though the broader society will also feel the effects.

Young people buying over priced shoeboxes is definitely a problem, but it is not contained to just the Millennials. This is everyone. (NB. not literally everyone)

There are 60 year olds retiring with mortgages.
There are 45 year olds with 40 year mortgages that can only afford the mortgage by turning their home into a boarding house, and having someone live in the garage with a porta-potty.
There are 25 year olds buying 300 sqft boxes in what was politely called "the stix" before they were born. Some of these are probably engaged and will have a baby in less than 3 years.

None of this is smart. None of this should be encouraged. None of this is even normal. People are buying stuff they would not even rent, even if it was half the cost (and it is half the cost.) Anyone telling people that this is acceptable, socially normal behaviour should be called out on the massive disservice they are providing.

My wife has a number of co-workers that are ~10 years older than us. This puts them into the position of having purchased a house in Vancouver before the insanity kicked in, and maybe even having inherited their parents home. They are now selling these houses, literally winning the loving lottery, and are now sinking these winnings into... You guessed it, a new more expensive house.

I get to hear about how this is a good and normal thing to do.

gently caress no! This is not a good thing, and when that guy ends up with a 500K house he paid 2.5M for, he deserves to be mocked for it.

At a certain point, you need to stop excusing peoples inexperience for the massive problem they are causing. You don't have to blame them for it, but you certainly do not have to stifle your chuckle when they get what is coming them.

~~~

As an aside, I know several people that have started to actually encourage people thinking about buying. Very much like telling someone on the ledge of a building to jump, and for the same reason. Biggest financial decision of your life, and you leave it up to a casual acquaintance telling you to go for it. You are an email from a Nigerian prince away from bankruptcy anyways and deserve what the future has in store. (Also, there will be less competition when the market eventually does collapse.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Reserve Bank of Australia held interest rates at 2.25% today, probably scared by house prices in Sydney.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Amos Moses posted:

Sorry not all Canadians can be so educated to be as euphoric as you are when you flex that mighty fiscal prowess you've got going on there.

You're taking some sick pleasure in other peoples ignorance. Joe Schlub the pipefitter from newfoundland isn't trying to hurt anybody. Good on you for wishing he becomes bankrupt.

You're garbage and you have a chip on your shoulder.

You're right, the Canadian economy should be held hostage in perpetuity so that Joe Schlub the pipefitter can keep his overpriced house in newfoundland. CI is 100% correct in saying that there is no world in which all of this can be unravelled with no one getting hurt, and I'm personally fine with the people who made the dumbest decisions holding the largest portion of the bag.

I have a 'chip on my shoulder' because I want to live in Vancouver in ~10 years and I think that there's a good chance that it will be pretty lovely then, in large part because of policies like this. I have a chip on my shoulder because my sister and her fiance are probably going to spend over half a million dollars soon on a townhouse in some far-flung suburb of the GVRD and that's profoundly hosed up. All of these things affect me and the people I went to high school and university with negatively. Most of the smartest and most talented of us have gone to the US to work as a result, and there's a good chance that a lot of us will never return. Pretty sure that that's going to have a much bigger long term consequence than allowing the paper wealth of foolish homeowners (who already tend to be relatively well-off) to evaporate.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
blah_blah for prime minister.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Why would anyone live in Vancouver even if finances weren't a concern.
It's so bereft of any culture or anything interesting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

shrike82 posted:

We've been trying to figure that out for the last 360 pages or so.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't begrudge anyone of the profits they made by timing the market and selling their house at the right time, so why should I have any sympathy for the ones that fail?

No one forced you to make a huge leveraged bet into an undiversified procyclical asset class, if it works out, great, if it doesn't and you get burned well poo poo son it's all in the game and the game be the game.

EDIT: TL;DR the king stay the king

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 7, 2015

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

It depends

In the 80's there was a booming mining /timber/energy industry and Vancouver was the center for the merged Vancouver stock exchange.
Back in the 80s this was THE place to list new equity, and I do not mean that without any irony. It was NASDAQ before NASDAQ and American Exchange became big, or the UK Turquoise sheets.

UBC and U Victoria by extension got alot of heavy govt. money to become a full industrialization/cosmo. city which could compete with the emerging Seattle to Los Angles "wealth miracle" so the BC govt. dropped the capital gains and work subsidization rates to near zero for media, telecom and software startups.

This led to the 90's when the place became a hotbed for money that wanted to capitalize on Canada's poo poo foreign exchange market, and also did not want to pay the 45% base taxes for the US. So while many corps listed as US exchange, they had cross listings or asset managers in Canada in VC. This eventually spread to Asia, where like all Asia Pac. countries, the large volumes of new wealth from the Asian Tigers ran into Vancouver. Nearly all this was developer cash, and Hutchinson was a big developer for the bay area from industrial shitstain to yuppie mecca.

Bre-X came and went, the exchanges were gutted, and most of the brokerages and wealth effect in both security exchange consolidation, investor bitter memories and no corporate financing killed 99% of the mining in BC. Timber exchanges delisted when Toronto acquired the merged Alberta/Vancouver group for the Toronto capital pools. Most brokers and managers moved east.

BC was scared shitless of defaulting on their debt so agreed to both restructure their govt with selling off Federally gifted assets to the BC crown, and privatizing all their state assets with exception of the key provincial parks which they did not get in the Rockies division.

BC gov. went populist, dropped the tax rate on foreign capital to 0% to offset the wealth effect flight to Calgary / Toronto/NYC/Seattle.

BC went into debt. Continued to double down on property subsidization to developers. First property rip and collapse happened in 98. BC Govt and city of Vancouver lost a large chunk of the "hollywood north" industry due to SAG lockouts on Canadian Vancouver productions after the X-files wrapped up and FOX shuttered most of their standing soundstages in downtown and Kelowna.

2004-2013 BC govt went full tilt on sov. debt using the same financial advisors who advised Greece and Detroit. Unlocked a bunch of formerly earmarked properties that were on the 87 national park/property roll for natural reserves for Whistler and the surrounding plaza's, hoping to win the bid and recreate the economic stimulus of the 88 Calgary and 94 Olympics. Blew themselves up in the bidding round, never broke even. Covenants on the bonds insist on credit grade, which made BC Treasury seek aggressive expansion of the rezoning of old industrial areas for new commercial/wholesale speculation in a replication of the Seattle/Austin business model. Consultants at the time promised 10% growth in vancouver, which in 2005 sounded like a really great deal vs the 4% US growth rate and awesome dollar:canada dollar trade.

BC gov now locked into keeping credit rating, so as BC growth stalled vs. Alberta/SK and refinancing became tougher vs. everywhere else in the world BC turned a blind eye to foreign property laundering & speculation until Federal govt. was getting US inquiries ahead of FATCA and the IRS Clampdown on foreign shell company laundering.

2014-15. About 80% of VC and the surrounding properties out to the Okanagan wine country are owned by foreign shell or asset management companies. Nearly all are for tax avoidance or profit manipulation. Of the industrial core left in Vancouver proper we have 3 vestigial dealers, and some govt. departments, and 4 internationally known software publishers who are in various modes of downsizing.

Like King and Queen in Toronto only about 50% at most actually property that people live in. So in the event of a debtor in possession event, where the home owner walks away, Canada will be stuck with a stupid inventory of real estate they have no idea how to get off of, since there is literally not enough industrial productivity in downtown Vancouver to meet this excess supply.

TLDR: Same as the ghost cities in deep north China. Absurd returns lead to absurd wealth speculation, which encourages everyone else to build, assuming people will come. Vancouver cannibalized all industrial working area, right out to the dredgable port area so that they could fill this mythical offshore demand thinking they were moving to Vancouver but in reality they were playing global tax games, like Australia and Swissy. So if you showed a map of Vancouvers urban planning to any major US contractor in 2015, its obvious the Civic planners and Provincial govt. by subdivisions and roadway access bottlenecks were zoning/profit making for speculators vs. building a working, livable metropolis. Like say, Calgary or Houston that were designed in the 1980's for populations in excess of 3 million when they were only small 400,000 burbs. Urban planning made a profitable choice, like Hong Kong or Guandong to pack in profit-maximizing units vs. anything else to offset all the revenues Vancouver and BC lost when the base metals, import terminals and and soft wood industries blew up in the 70-99 era of bad government.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 7, 2015

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's Hal_2005's gimmick?
I've seen him post about running a hedge fund as well being a leading conservative MP but the way he posts strikes me as someone needing mental help.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

What's Hal_2005's gimmick?
I've seen him post about running a hedge fund as well being a leading conservative MP but the way he posts strikes me as someone needing mental help.

He's how we got the tag added.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean look at the guy's listing of "premier" Canadian products.

Hal_2005 posted:

Sure
- Pulse Seismic
- Medtronic DES stimulator
- Open Text
- ATI
- Corelle (and AIM instant messenger)
- Lotus 1-2-3
- Blackberry and SSH server systems
- Magellan Aerospace and half of the SpaceX parts
- Magna automotives, makers of nearly 50% of your mincome second hand Honda and GM poo poo-can compact.
- CGI, proud maker of 80% of the world's internet systems for forward facing gov & mainframes
- Precision drilling; most advanced oil rigs on the planet, no joke.
- Bioware
- Miranda
- Palantir (the master algos were built at Waterloo)
- padd drilling; google it.
- ganong
- cott beverage
- highliner fish products
- Ford escape and about 80% of Ford's R&D programs dating back to the Shelby push at Windsor special projects, including AWD and disc brakes
- Hatch engineering, the only company who you legitimately call when Bechtel or Haliburton fucks something up
- SNC
- lululemmon
- Canaccord
- Scotiabank, largest bank in Latin America by deposits and second largest bank in the entire latinos including mexico
- TD bank, second largest bank now in the US behind JP Morgan
- Manulife, one of the worlds largest underwriters of global risk next to Lloyds of London
- Power corp. If you dont know who the hell these guys are, I cant help you
- McCain french fries; legitimate good PEI oligarchs.
- Boardwalk. Again, if you dont know a gently caress about the largest commercial property manager in the world, I wonder how qualified you are to even post.
- Baurer
- Maple Leaf Foods
- Rexall
- Aliment Couche Tard; the largest kiosk and convenience store owner by footprint next to CVS Healthcare (yes, bigger than 7/11 now you sperglord)
- Bombardier: proud maker of useless make work projects for the redneck trash of Quebec, and giving Casse de Depot grey hairs since 1998. Worst trust fund kiddies on the planet, and that's including Oracle's estate fund.
- Saputo. Largest dairy maker in the public stock world. You cheese eating neckbeards literally consume 3 of their products every day, and the fact you have no clue they even exist is both the funniest thing I have read all week, and the most pathetic.
- Tim Hortons. You laugh, but then again, so did the shareholders who tendered their shares of Burgerking. More indians know what the hell a double double is according to the last trade mission than who barack obama was. Think on that while working your mincome job at Canadian Tire tomorrow.
- Globe & Mail. You laugh at this one, but nearly every editor from John at The Economist to half of Gawker got their start in that shithole. In journalism, Canadian free press and the publishing houses that are now Southham (old Hollinger) are tier one training centers & bull pens for aspiring editors and journalists.
- CP Rail. Want to know who literally moves 40% of the USA finished goods? from your fleshlight to the mountain dew you purchased at wallmart last week? A fat sperglord named Hunter accepts thank you pizzas. He really does too.
- Valiant Pharmaceuticals. I really hope I dont need to explain this one to goons.
- Princess Margaret Cancer Center: Your head would explode if you knew which celeb's, dictators and nearly everyone who the world would write an obituary on, if they died elect to get treated at The Princess vs. Hopkins or Harvard Med. U of T has the top program for emergency booking/100% treatment rates in the OECD for both neurology and onco.
- Onyx Corp. Gerald W. Schwartz. The joke of 'the Schwartz be with you?' its about this guy and how he and Frank Guistra nearly built Canada a entertainment industry.
- Lionsgate. Frank Guistra and Peter Brown. American Psycho is so close to 1980's mining industry reality, your head would again, explode.
- Barrack. Peter Munk.
- The NHL. You laugh about this one, but there is only 2 profitable sports in the world, hockey and F1. While total attendance is way behind FIFA and NBA viewership, a NHL franchise stake is one of the most coveted and lucrative deals in sports finance, with exception to the recent tech bubble bidding up of NBA stakes for marquee teams like the Clippers.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

I mean look at the guy's listing of "premier" Canadian products.

It's hilarious, because the only ones people outside the country may have heard of in the list (Such as CGI, Corelle, Lotus, SNC) are widely regarded as terrible.

highliner fish products and McCain french fries are the backbone of our innovation.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
blah_blah, you might be pleased to know that hootsuite now has a 'data science' wet works type group. :airquote:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The University of Winnipeg's Institute of Urban Studies just released a paper showing debt levels per neighbourhood in pretty fine detail, with 90% of the population included.

http://winnspace.uwinnipeg.ca/bitstream/handle/10680/817/2015%20Living%20in%20the%20Red.pdf?sequence=1

The wealthier the area, the more consumer debt they have, with the richest areas like Wellington Crescent and Tuxedo being among the worst offenders for debt to income percentage. Their bankruptcy risk map doesn't seem to take into account people who don't hold any consumer debt products, so I'm wondering what the map would look like if it included people who are smart enough to not be in debt in the first place.

If nothing else, it's neat to just take a look at your own neighbourhood; all the rental apartments on our side of the street are solid green, but the single dwelling homes across the street are all in the moderate debt range, and this seems to repeat for the next couple of blocks. I'd love to see something like this for a city like Vancouver or Toronto.

So far the news sites are mainly talking about how even though our poorer neghbourhoods have low debt as a percentage of total income, they're still at a greater risk of bankruptcy, but not a peep about how if interest rates go up, all of those folks in the "rich" areas are gonna be pretty hosed.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

etalian posted:

Basically all arab militaries are like this, only good for terrorizing the local population due to a massive laundry list of structural problems and pretty much useless for waging a real military campaign.

Anyone who is interested in this particular subject might want to read this: http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

The University of Winnipeg's Institute of Urban Studies just released a paper showing debt levels per neighbourhood in pretty fine detail, with 90% of the population included.

http://winnspace.uwinnipeg.ca/bitstream/handle/10680/817/2015%20Living%20in%20the%20Red.pdf?sequence=1

The wealthier the area, the more consumer debt they have, with the richest areas like Wellington Crescent and Tuxedo being among the worst offenders for debt to income percentage. Their bankruptcy risk map doesn't seem to take into account people who don't hold any consumer debt products, so I'm wondering what the map would look like if it included people who are smart enough to not be in debt in the first place.

If nothing else, it's neat to just take a look at your own neighbourhood; all the rental apartments on our side of the street are solid green, but the single dwelling homes across the street are all in the moderate debt range, and this seems to repeat for the next couple of blocks. I'd love to see something like this for a city like Vancouver or Toronto.

So far the news sites are mainly talking about how even though our poorer neghbourhoods have low debt as a percentage of total income, they're still at a greater risk of bankruptcy, but not a peep about how if interest rates go up, all of those folks in the "rich" areas are gonna be pretty hosed.

When I saw this all I could think of was 'the rich will eat themselves.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

When I saw this all I could think of was 'the rich will eat themselves.'

How typical of them. Not even kind enough to share their meals!