Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

RVProfootballer posted:

The Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 both kept the same ~5" screen size of their predecessors. If you replace 6" in your post with 5", then yeah absolutely.

And larger than their predecessors, at least in the One's case. Looks like I'm holding on to this M7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

go3 posted:

And larger than their predecessors, at least in the One's case. Looks like I'm holding on to this M7.

The One M9 is only slightly taller than the One M7, not any wider or thicker. Same with the Galaxy S6, though it's actually quite a bit thinner. If you want a good phone that is actually legitimately smaller, the Z3 Compact is your only option. Hopefully a Z4 Compact will be released before too long, but not sure. The Moto X 2013 is another, and while it wouldn't be a downgrade compared to your One, it has worse battery life and worse camera than any of the other flagships from this year or last.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I'd like to buy a brand new/ officially refurbished Samsung Galaxy S 3-5 for use exclusively as an MP3 and podcast player without a phone plan. Is this possible?

Poking around it seems like the hardware is all carrier dependent, is there a particular iteration that is the best way to go?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

I'd like to buy a brand new/ officially refurbished Samsung Galaxy S 3-5 for use exclusively as an MP3 and podcast player without a phone plan. Is this possible?

Poking around it seems like the hardware is all carrier dependent, is there a particular iteration that is the best way to go?

Get an unlocked Moto E and put a large enough microSD card on it. Getting refurbs that cost more than $120 wouldn't be worth it if all you're going to use them for is audio.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I have an old iPhone 4s and am finally upgrading with AT&T. I want to switch to an Android phone and was looking at the Galaxy S5 mini because it's small and the camera is 8MP, which is fine for me. Apparently I have $15/month credit so it would be free. Are there any drawbacks? I've never had an Android phone before so I want to make sure I'm not going to regret it. I wouldn't mind paying $3-$5 a month for a phone that's significantly better, I just don't really see any available with AT&T.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a barely-supported device that was outdated the moment it was released and only exists to fit a physical size niche. It's totally unrelated to the S5 except in name. If you want a smaller device, buy a 2013 Moto X or Moto G outright and enjoy your discount.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
You're right, I'ma get the new X though it looks nifty.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

gbaby posted:

You're right, I'ma get the new X though it looks nifty.

I just got the 2nd gen Moto X as my work phone and its easily the best Android phone I've ever used. Just extremely fast, no frills beyond what I want on it. Battery life doesn't seem to be as good as the iPhone, but it seems to get through the day so far.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I buy a Consumer Cellular "branded" phone at Sears for like 100$ less then Amazon and just pay 3$ on eBay for an unlock code? Same model and everything, I think it SHOULD work but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

Quoting myself since this got lost on the last page

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Quoting myself since this got lost on the last page
There's very little information there. Missing are things like what the phone is and where you intend to use it,

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

There's very little information there. Missing are things like what the phone is and where you intend to use it,

Sorry should have specified! Not looking at any particular phone currently, just wondering about the concept. I currently use Cricket and would continue to use that. Any phone I would be looking at would be GSM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sorry should have specified! Not looking at any particular phone currently, just wondering about the concept. I currently use Cricket and would continue to use that. Any phone I would be looking at would be GSM.
Might be worth asking in the prepaid thread but since Community Cellular and Cricket are both AT&T MVNOs you might not even need to unlock (although I understand that Cricket is a captive AT&T MVNO so that might explain why locked devices would work with them but not others).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

Might be worth asking in the prepaid thread but since Community Cellular and Cricket are both AT&T MVNOs you might not even need to unlock (although I understand that Cricket is a captive AT&T MVNO so that might explain why locked devices would work with them but not others).

OK cool thanks! If I go through with my experiment I will report back :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just to do some bitching, I set an older friend and his wife's phones on Community Cellular. Apparently it's big for the AARP crowd. They have an unlocked 2013 Moto X and a Nexus 4. First CC sent the wrong SIMs, two micros instead of one micro and one nano and my friend butchered his trying to trim it down to the right size when left unattended.

Then came their "help" with setting up the APN. Holy Jesus. They sent hosed up information that a couple minutes of Googling revealed just simply did not work. They connected to the cell network and nothing else. After fiddling a while I got the data to work by typing in a number of random APNs. Google "community cellular apn" and just look and see how hosed up everything is. The settings that worked had no fields in common with CC's provided settings. Absolute garbage.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

provider: whatever, going to change for the cheapest one asap anyway

plan: prepaid sim card

I need a new phone with all this new poo poo like internet, apps and whatever. i still use a phone that has a honest to God keypad and is waterproof and lasts 10 days between charges and I love it but apparently we're in THE FUTURE now and I need the internet!

joking aside I'd like a phone that's compact (less than 5"), powerful so I don't have to get enraged and throw it down a cliff, has a big fuckoff battery that lasts at least a full day under heavy use, and I'd love if it was waterproof and durable. Money is not a concern butI'd rather stay on the cheap side of things. All signs point to the sony xperia z3 compact, but I read it's fairly fragile and not that cheap too... Any other contenders?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 4, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Z3 Compact is the only thing that's going to come close hitting all your wants. Just the "less than 5"" and "powerful" requirements are nearly mutually exclusive at this point.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Endless Mike posted:

The Z3 Compact is the only thing that's going to come close hitting all your wants. Just the "less than 5"" and "powerful" requirements are nearly mutually exclusive at this point.

I'm using a loaned ancient galaxy s first version now and it's pretty infuriating, but I guess my definition of powerful might be just "doesn't hang for 3 seconds on each webpage", not "can run autocad and a hd game and youtube at the same time"

maybe with that in mind i could save a few bucks by going for the z1 compact or something ike that instead? as long as it's not a cheaper, horribly gimped version of a better phone (looking at you, galaxy and galaxy mini)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 4, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I'm using a loaned ancient galaxy s first version now and it's pretty infuriating, but I guess my definition of powerful might be just "doesn't hang for 3 seconds on each webpage", not "can run autocad and a hd game and youtube at the same time"

maybe with that in mind i could save a few bucks by going for the z1 compact or something ike that instead? as long as it's not a cheaper, horribly gimped version of a better phone (looking at you, galaxy and galaxy mini)

Not really. You're better off getting the Z3C instead of an older model on older hardware that will not be as well-supported.

Just get a good case for the Z3C if you're worried about dropping it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My Galaxy S4 has given up the ghost after only a year and a half, due to one too many drops leading to a seemingly permanently corrupted display (though the phone appears to still work). Time to change it up.

No carrier contract, still owe T-Mobile $125 for the phone though
Budget: As much as $700 I guess, though T-Mobile's whole interest-free loan thing means at least I can spread out the pain
Features: needs to be responsive while web browsing, but most of the rest of the time it's a nice camera/in-car Spotify via Bluetooth transmitter/Plex remote

Thought about getting an iPhone because I'm not too attached to Android, I've already got a macbook, and all the cool kids are doing it :downs:, but :shrug:

I plan to stick to T-Mobile in either event, they've done right by me in the past where all the other carriers have hosed me over one way or another and I see no reason to change that now.

(edit) Oh, iOS has King of Dragon Pass too, that'd be nice :v:

(ed again) Oh, I have a Chromecast on my bedroom TV, dunno if that's a dealbreaker for an iPhone or not.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds like you answered your question. You might want to up your budget just a hair to $750 to get a 64 GB model, though. It looks like there's lots of Plex remote options on the App Store.

Chromecast works with some iOS apps, I'd imagine largely the same ones that work on Android, though I don't think the full screen casting is available, if that matters. I suppose it depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I was thinking I'd do that, long as T-Mobile lets me do the interest-free installment plan thing. (Don't see why they wouldn't.)

The only bits I actually use the Chromecast for are casting Youtube and Plex, I don't bother with fullscreen casting at all, so I'm gold as long as it can do those.

Even though it's out of budget, does the 6+ have anything over the 6 besides the larger screen?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, I was thinking I'd do that, long as T-Mobile lets me do the interest-free installment plan thing. (Don't see why they wouldn't.)

The only bits I actually use the Chromecast for are casting Youtube and Plex, I don't bother with fullscreen casting at all, so I'm gold as long as it can do those.

Even though it's out of budget, does the 6+ have anything over the 6 besides the larger screen?
Hopefully an iPhone expert will answer but I believe the 6+ has a lower pixel density than the 6 and of course would have a larger battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

LastInLine posted:

Hopefully an iPhone expert will answer but I believe the 6+ has a lower pixel density than the 6 and of course would have a larger battery.
No, the 6+ has a higher pixel density at 401 ppi vs. 326 ppi on the 6. Its camera also has optical image stabilization which the 6's does not, and, as noted, the larger battery.

That said, it's also a touch slower since it's rendering at 1242x2208 then downsampling to 1080p. In practice, you won't notice this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No, the 6+ has a higher pixel density at 401 ppi vs. 326 ppi on the 6. Its camera also has optical image stabilization which the 6's does not, and, as noted, the larger battery.

That said, it's also a touch slower since it's rendering at 1242x2208 then downsampling to 1080p. In practice, you won't notice this.
Given this, why do I see occasional offhanded remarks that the 6 is the better device? Just because of the size? I suppose this isn't the best place to ask but I recommend iPhones when people ask so it's nice to just know.

vv Thanks! :)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Given this, why do I see occasional offhanded remarks that the 6 is the better device? Just because of the size? I suppose this isn't the best place to ask but I recommend iPhones when people ask so it's nice to just know.
Size, I'd imagine. Phablets aren't for everyone. Price, too. It's $100 more for the 6+ of equal capacity. I think the 6+ solely has the "bad" NAND in it, as well, while the 6 uses both, I think?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"bad" NAND? :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

First off, I'm wrong. It seems that they only used it in 64 GB and 128 GB models and have moved away from it. In any case, I put bad in quotes specifically because it's not really a big deal. It's just slower on random writes. There's also some stuff going around about the TLC NAND causing boot loops for some users and I *think* there was something about it wearing through faster, but still well outside the timeframe you'll ever have your phone. Here's a link:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41410/apple-iphone-6-storage-tested-with-mlc-and-tlc-nand-tlc-slower/index.html

In short, don't stress about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I need a new phone! My iphone 4's battery is done for and the rest of the phone is smashed and slow enough that I just want a new one.

It has been my only smartphone, so I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Was very happy with the iphone 4 until OS updates made it progressively slower and slower... 6 months after buying it in 2013.

Country/Provider - Denmark/3 Mobile (that can be changed, but I've gotten a lot of use out of their free roaming in Sweden/Norway/Germany)

Contract Status - Out of contract

Budget - 300 Kr/40 Euro a month for a plan that includes paying off the phone.

The phone must be able to:
-Import my facebook and gmail calendars into one calendar that is easy to use.
-Do the same with my gmail and hotmail email accounts.
-Take nice pictures when I'm on vacation or outdoors
-Fit easily in my pocket - I don't want a phone that's trying too hard to be a tablet.
-Basic internet browsing like looking stuff up on wikipedia and buying concert tickets
-Play podcasts and mp3s.

A lot of the plan/phone combos I've seen give a discount on the phone only if I choose a high data plan which I don't need. I don't exceed my current 2gb per month plan. Paying for 5 or 10 gb a month is dumb.

Edit: Also I use google maps a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

It has been my only smartphone, so I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Was very happy with the iphone 4 until OS updates made it progressively slower and slower... 6 months after buying it in 2013.
Well, you bought a phone that was already 3 years old the day you got it.

Anyway, I'm sure Android can do everything you want. You'd probably be happy enough with a Moto G.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Well, you bought a phone that was already 3 years old the day you got it.

Anyway, I'm sure Android can do everything you want. You'd probably be happy enough with a Moto G.

Hence my asking for help here before I make a similiar choice :downs: Three doesn't sell the G. Here is their selection, should I hop to another carrier for that phone or is there something else you would suggest: https://www.3.dk/mobiler-tablets/mobiler/

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should probably give a budget. Without that, we'll just default to our regular recommendations of the various flagship phones: iPhone 6 or 6+, Galaxy S6 or Note 4, Sony Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact, or Nexus 6.

I mostly suggested the Moto G since it's cheap and you seem to imply wanting to stay on a budget, but has gotten good support from Motorola. I wouldn't say you should switch carriers just for it, but I'd be shocked if there's nowhere in Denmark you can buy it unlocked.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was a little hesitant to provide a budget, not knowing what the price spectrum for phones was like. 2000 to 3000 kr? That's very roughly 300 to 450 dollars, although electronics here are more expensive by 20% or more.

The Moto G looks good, except the reviews of its camera aren't great - I take enough pictures that I would like good quality. I spoke with my cousin and he said I shouldn't go over 3000 Kr, recommending a Galaxy S5 Mini. Thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't really recommend it. It wasn't really highly recommended at its launch since it really shares nothing with the Galaxy S5 other than its name, and it'll probably not see a lot of support from Samsung.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Samsung has planned to update the S5 mini to 5.0 at least.

The camera isn't much better than the Moto G, though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just put my phone through the washing machine and I'm driving to the verizon store to see if it's the battery that is broke or the phone. I already did the rice thing. It said it was 80% charged but then it said 0% and won't stop flashing the samsung logo. I feel it's pretty hosed.

I don't understand buying a phone and showing up and saying "activate my phone". The phone I got from verizon had a bunch of bullshit software I could not uninstall like 3d golf and slacker radio, and they updated constantly and I hated them. If you buy your own phone is there less of that? Are there only certain brands of phone verizon will touch?

I feel like if they say "your phone is broken, get a new plan" and I say "I'd like to explore my options, maybe buy a used phone" they might spit on me. This is a real concern I have.

All I really want is basic internet poo poo to stave off the delerium tremens that come from waiting to be seated and having nothing to do. And anything has to be better than a droid charge, the phone impossible to google solutions to your problems for because you will only get results about people who can't charge their other android phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you put your phone through the wash, it's almost certainly hosed. Even if it's not, they can't stop you from getting a used phone and having it activated on your account.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I took it out of the rice this morning and plugged it in it started charging. It got to 80% but when I picked it up it changed to 0% charge. Then when I turned it on it said samsung, flickered out, said samsung. Repeat ad nauseum

It did this when the guy swapped out the battery for a new one. Ninety bucks and I can have another awful droid charge. I didn't want to make a decision so I left.

I was in the drive through drumming the phone against the steering column to the 3/4 beat of a door's song because, well, why the hell not at this point? Then I noticed it was on the locked phone screen with a few missed calls. I made a call home and it worked. I am afraid if I ever turn it off again it will never work.

I imagine I knocked a tiny blob of water out of position and out of the earphone jack port or some poo poo. or forced some contact to scrape the detergent scum off another and finally work. I don't know but it feels like it's short lived.

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008
My wife is up for a new phone (old one is a troublesome Razr HD). Here are the requirements:

- Carrier Verizon
- Android (iOS isn't out of the question though)
- "Best battery life"
- Decent update support

She's open to the idea of a phablet, so I suggested the Galaxy Note 4. The z3 Compact looks great, but it's not workable on Verizon from what I can tell. Any options I'm missing? iOS could work if the Google apps (gmail, hangouts, drive, etc) environment functions well.

Has battery life improved in the last two years?

Hank Killinger fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hank Killinger posted:

My wife is up for a new phone (old one is a troublesome Razr HD). Here are the requirements:

- Carrier Verizon
- Android (iOS isn't out of the question though)
- "Best battery life"
- Decent update support

She's open to the idea of a phablet, so I suggested the Galaxy Note 4. The z3 Compact looks great, but it's not workable on Verizon from what I can tell. Any options I'm missing? iOS could work if the Google apps (gmail, hangouts, drive, etc) environment functions well.

Has battery life improved in the last two years?

If battery life is the priority, then the three phones to consider are the Note 4, 6 Plus, and Droid Turbo. The Note 4's only real weakness is the updates. Updates do come, but they're 3-4 months behind the Motorola/Nexus devices.

With the Droid Turbo, you'd be trading screen size for updates that come as quickly as Nexus devices. Also, stock Android is still nicer than TouchWiz (even if ignoring it is easier than ever.)

Meanwhile with the iPhone, the Google experience is pretty good. It's not as nice as Android because it's not integrated into the OS, but it's still pretty good. The only complaint I had was Gmail, but Outlook on iOS and Google Inbox have solved this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

With the Droid Turbo, you'd be trading screen size for updates that come as quickly as Nexus devices. Also, stock Android is still nicer than TouchWiz (even if ignoring it is easier than ever.)
Considering the Droid Turbo is still on 4.4, this is demonstrably untrue.

It is definitely the among best battery life available, though.