Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

SiGmA_X posted:

What you said makes perfect sense. However, for me, State Farm insures both my girlfriend and I under one policy, we just made sure we had appropriate coverage. Our agent (a real live one, not their website) says everything should be good to go in the event of loss. We are renters though - my friend who owns a house has a homeowners policy, and each roommate ("tenant") have their own renters policies per his agent (AllState IIRC?)

I was a State Farm agent and I can tell you this is fine, BUT may not be the best decision for everyone. Girlfriend and roommate are often used synonymously, but honestly they are different. When it is a girlfriend you assume they aren't going to do something that dicks you over and causes you problems in the future. I've been on a renters policy with a roommate with State Farm too...honestly most State Farm agents don't care about your future they just want to write policies.

The example still stands though...if you and your girlfriend have one policy and there is a loss of any kind then that loss is going to follow BOTH of you for the next 5 years. Even if you break up in a year or two when you go to get insurance they will see that loss on your record. Also, by putting both your names on the policy you drag the other person into every Liability claim that could arise. If you get drunk and hurt someone while having a BBQ then she gets pulled into court as well which could hurt her financial standing.

There are benefits and downsides to doing it as one policy and doing it as two policies. Since you aren't married almost any agent would recommend having two policies because their goal is to protect you and your future...the best way to do that is to NOT open you up to a loss that isn't your fault and to NOT open you up to a Liability exposure that may not be your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

NeurosisHead posted:

To clarify, by rental insurance do you mean for you as a tenant, for you as an income generating property owner, or for something to do with a rental car?

Sorry, rental insurance as a tenant.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

OssiansFolly posted:

I am in the Cleveland area. Do you have PMs? Either I could help you or I could probably recommend someone who may be able to help. I personally don't like Progressive and I think a good chunk of average agents will agree. :smug:

PMed for great justice.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Does anyone know a good source for evacuation insurance for people engaging in mountaineering / alpine climbing? Me and some friends are going out to Alaska for a couple weeks and thought it might be good idea to have that kind of insurance. I used to live in PA and there is an extreme sports rider available on AIG Travel Guard, but now I live in NY and it's no longer even an option in that state.

I looked at globalrescue.com which is a little different since its not really an insurance it's just an evacuation protocol (e.g. they do the evacuation they don't pay for / reimburse evacuations done by someone else nor do they cover any medical bills etc.. just fly you to a hospital) and I think that may be the only company that offers something like that for NY

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vomik posted:

Does anyone know a good source for evacuation insurance for people engaging in mountaineering / alpine climbing? Me and some friends are going out to Alaska for a couple weeks and thought it might be good idea to have that kind of insurance. I used to live in PA and there is an extreme sports rider available on AIG Travel Guard, but now I live in NY and it's no longer even an option in that state.

I looked at globalrescue.com which is a little different since its not really an insurance it's just an evacuation protocol (e.g. they do the evacuation they don't pay for / reimburse evacuations done by someone else nor do they cover any medical bills etc.. just fly you to a hospital) and I think that may be the only company that offers something like that for NY

Wow that is quite unique. I'd look up insurance brokers in your area that operate on a National level. They'd probably be the only ones to help you since you're going from NY to AK. That is super unique and crosses state lines so...thats my 2 cents.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Vomik posted:

Talk to your agent, who will likely go to an excess and surplus lines carrier through a broker to place the coverage. This isn't something a standard carrier is going to do and most specialty carriers don't place directly (though not all). You could end up with a Lloyds or Berkley market policy (which isn't that big of a deal, but outside of the insurance world those names illicit some "ooooohs" due to crazy policies like the Tina Turner's legs coverage).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My wife was let go earlier in March. She's going through the unemployment process. HOWEVER, she has a new job already, so good for her. The problem is, they don't have insurance (animal hospital.. not uncommon for them to not have coverage). Her coverage through her previous job ends.. well, today. We didn't think about that until now. We've gotten nothing in the mail through COBRA or whatever it is these days.

Now, I'm also undergoing a voluntary career change, so there's no point in changing over my insurance to a family plan before my last day on Friday. My new company's insurance won't kick in until 30 days after I start, at which point I'll put her on a family plan. So my question is, how does stop-gap insurance work these days? Do I absolutely need to sign her up for a plan RIGHT NOW, or can I just sign up for coverage retroactively if I need it? She was told she'd get something from COBRA in the mail, so we were waiting for that before making a move. I just don't want to be SOL if she gets in an accident tomorrow.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
COBRA insurance will back date for up to 60 days after your old plan terminated - at least it did in 2011/13.

Example: your old insurance ends on 3/31/15, and you don't sign up
For COBRA but are eligible. You get sick and need hospitalization on 5/5/15. You sign up for a COBRA plan covering you and you pay for service from 4/1/15 through 5/30/15, being its paid monthly.

I'd call COBRA to verify but this was how it was 2yrs ago, and it was a mental life saver for my buddy while he had to wait to get new insurance. Same for me in 2011.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

COBRA insurance will back date for up to 60 days after your old plan terminated - at least it did in 2011/13.

Example: your old insurance ends on 3/31/15, and you don't sign up
For COBRA but are eligible. You get sick and need hospitalization on 5/5/15. You sign up for a COBRA plan covering you and you pay for service from 4/1/15 through 5/30/15, being its paid monthly.

I'd call COBRA to verify but this was how it was 2yrs ago, and it was a mental life saver for my buddy while he had to wait to get new insurance. Same for me in 2011.

That's kinda what I thought. I was on it during that same time frame and it worked the same way. I just don't want to pay out a much of money if I don't absolutely have to since we know we'll be covered in a month. Can anyone confirm that's how it works today?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't confirm officially because I'm not a cobra expert, but my understanding is the same as above. You are going to have another plan in place before you're ineligible for COBRA, so you can go without for that month and if you have an emergency, pay the COBRA, plan and back date your coverage.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

New Leaf posted:

My wife was let go earlier in March. She's going through the unemployment process. HOWEVER, she has a new job already, so good for her. The problem is, they don't have insurance (animal hospital.. not uncommon for them to not have coverage). Her coverage through her previous job ends.. well, today. We didn't think about that until now. We've gotten nothing in the mail through COBRA or whatever it is these days.

Now, I'm also undergoing a voluntary career change, so there's no point in changing over my insurance to a family plan before my last day on Friday. My new company's insurance won't kick in until 30 days after I start, at which point I'll put her on a family plan. So my question is, how does stop-gap insurance work these days? Do I absolutely need to sign her up for a plan RIGHT NOW, or can I just sign up for coverage retroactively if I need it? She was told she'd get something from COBRA in the mail, so we were waiting for that before making a move. I just don't want to be SOL if she gets in an accident tomorrow.

Go to HealthCare.gov and get coverage. It will be cheaper than COBRA and usually better coverage. You will be looking at the Silver Plan or better. Figure out which insurance is the major insurance coverage for the major hospital chain near you and pick that coverage option.

COBRA should be a last resort. HealthCare.gov will tell you that the open enrollment is over, but since she lost her job and her insurance she should qualify for an emergency enrollment. Don't wait to do this...literally do this RIGHT NOW.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

This is really short term though, and she may not even need it at all. Is it really worth it? I know accidents happen, but financially, if we can spend nothing and get away with it, I'm more inclined to go that route. Yes, if something does happen, cobra will be more expensive, but with her sudden unemployment, we have parents asking us what they can do to help. Covering cobra in the event of an emergency would be that help.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

New Leaf posted:

This is really short term though, and she may not even need it at all. Is it really worth it? I know accidents happen, but financially, if we can spend nothing and get away with it, I'm more inclined to go that route. Yes, if something does happen, cobra will be more expensive, but with her sudden unemployment, we have parents asking us what they can do to help. Covering cobra in the event of an emergency would be that help.
IMO it's not worth it, unless she's in poor health and seeing the doctor a ton as it is.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

IMO it's not worth it, unless she's in poor health and seeing the doctor a ton as it is.

She's not. Just standard daily lady meds. We're both 30, so not actually falling apart yet.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with Sigma. Since you can back date it, there really isn't any harm in going without for a scant month. Now, how that works under the ACA, I don't know. And as Ossian said, if you ARE going to go without COBRA, then definitely go to healthcare.gov.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'm looking for renters insurance for just myself. Based on what I have read it covers things in your place and some I have seen cover your stuff no matter where in the world it is. What would be some of the first places I should look? My main concern is if I get mugged and my camera and kit is stolen, since all of my other expensive things stay in my house where there isn't really a question of coverage in that circumstance.

I assume esurance is pretty reputable since they are owned by Allstate.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm looking for renters insurance for just myself. Based on what I have read it covers things in your place and some I have seen cover your stuff no matter where in the world it is. What would be some of the first places I should look? My main concern is if I get mugged and my camera and kit is stolen, since all of my other expensive things stay in my house where there isn't really a question of coverage in that circumstance.

I didn't like eSurance for automotive insurance. They covered everything fine, I had a major accident, and they paid my settlement quickly and paid my providers quickly up until they closed my claim. However they STILL haven't settled up with a few of my doctors after they closed my claim - almost 3 years after eSurance signed the settlement contract stating they would make payments... Annoying, and as such, I'm not a big fan of them.

Also, they're bad at tracking data. They totaled my car and do not cover salvage title cars (at least in 2011). They never notified me of this and continued to take my money and list a salvage car on my policy. I'm glad I didn't have any more claims, I bet it would have been a real fun fight.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nondescript Van posted:

eSurance isn't bad, but they do farm out their renters like Progressive. This is all a personal preference, but for me, I'd prefer to deal and pay directly with the company I have a policy with vs a third company floating out there.

I'd just hit up the big ones, Travelers, Nationwide, Allstate, State Farm, etc. Make sure they have EXTENDED THEFT on there, and if you're really worried about the camera gear, you can list them specifically to make sure they are always covered.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Nondescript Van posted:

First step is to call an agent...almost any real agent can get you a good renters policy. Next step is to SCHEDULE that camera and equipment on the policy under Inland Marine so you have a broader coverage and likely no deductible. Lastly, I prefer brokers...because I am a broker...they usually offer many more than 1 company. ;)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Geico is wooing me for a Customer Service position. I'm going in this week for computer testing and potentially an interview - any words of advice?

The job pays around 35k to start and I'd be working nights. That's a big upgrade from what I'm making now in retail, but I've heard Geico is stressful as poo poo.

I originally wanted a Claims Rep position because I've heard there's more upward mobility, but that only pays like 30k.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Geico is wooing me for a Customer Service position. I'm going in this week for computer testing and potentially an interview - any words of advice?

The job pays around 35k to start and I'd be working nights. That's a big upgrade from what I'm making now in retail, but I've heard Geico is stressful as poo poo.

I originally wanted a Claims Rep position because I've heard there's more upward mobility, but that only pays like 30k.

Are you required to have your license? Do they pay for you to get your license? Do they pay for you to better educate yourself and get certifications? Will they pay for you to get license approvals in different states? These would be major selling points for me. CE credits cost time and/or money, more licenses are always better (Health and Life), and the best way to move up is to get certifications.

Customer service CAN suck...I would say the majority of the calls you are going to get are "why did my price change?", and the only response you will have is "that's how insurance works." Geico is a major nationwide insurance company...can't really go wrong working for a Fortune 500. The best thing to do is LEARN LEARN LEARN everything you can because EVENTUALLY you will want to leave the CSR position at Geico to work in a better role with stronger pay/benefits (underwriting, claims adjusting, being an agent, etc.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

Are you required to have your license? Do they pay for you to get your license? Do they pay for you to better educate yourself and get certifications? Will they pay for you to get license approvals in different states? These would be major selling points for me. CE credits cost time and/or money, more licenses are always better (Health and Life), and the best way to move up is to get certifications.

Customer service CAN suck...I would say the majority of the calls you are going to get are "why did my price change?", and the only response you will have is "that's how insurance works." Geico is a major nationwide insurance company...can't really go wrong working for a Fortune 500. The best thing to do is LEARN LEARN LEARN everything you can because EVENTUALLY you will want to leave the CSR position at Geico to work in a better role with stronger pay/benefits (underwriting, claims adjusting, being an agent, etc.)

Thanks for the advice.

Passed all the tests and got an interview - wish me luck!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

As someone who used to work in claims....don't work in claims. All you deal with all day are pissed off people.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

sheri posted:

As someone who used to work in claims....don't work in claims. All you deal with all day are pissed off people.

As someone who works in insurance...all you deal with all day are pissed off people. People are assholes...the sooner you accept this one truth the sooner you can brush off the poo poo they toss at you. There are always poo poo heads in each role for insurance, but it is easier to jump from Claims Adjuster to Underwriter than from CSR to Underwriter. It is all about getting to the next level.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I may have been stupid when I got health insurance through the Marketplace. Where should I be looking to see the nitty gritty details of my prescription drug coverage?

For specifics I'm trying to figure out how the copay poo poo works, because I had to pay cash price instead of my copay for my last prescription. My assumption, up until now, is that the copay/coinsurance is what you pay, regardless of the status of your deductible. My insurance has told me that's not the case, and I have to work through my deductible before I get to pay the copay amount. I couldn't find anything in my SBA (SBO?) about that, and most of what I found confirms my initial thought process.

Is that SOP or are they pulling a number on me?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BirdOfPlay posted:

So I may have been stupid when I got health insurance through the Marketplace. Where should I be looking to see the nitty gritty details of my prescription drug coverage?

For specifics I'm trying to figure out how the copay poo poo works, because I had to pay cash price instead of my copay for my last prescription. My assumption, up until now, is that the copay/coinsurance is what you pay, regardless of the status of your deductible. My insurance has told me that's not the case, and I have to work through my deductible before I get to pay the copay amount. I couldn't find anything in my SBA (SBO?) about that, and most of what I found confirms my initial thought process.

Google your plan's provider/the policy name and a detailed explanation of the benefits should pop up - or go to the provider's website and retrieve it from there

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BirdOfPlay posted:

It can go either way. It's quite common for rx plans to give you some discount on certain meds until you meet your deductible, but usually if you haven't met it, you're paying cash price. Same as medical insurance.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

It should be listed in a chart/spreadsheet for you when you signed up and when they sent you all your documents. If you signed up for the Silver plan (like most people do and you should have) then odds are you don't have a copay. I am willing to bet your annual deductible is fairly low with an 80/20 pay out up to another number and your office visits (other than annual wellness visits) and prescriptions are 100% out of pocket until your annual deductible is met.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When in doubt call the customer service number on their website. This answers so many questions for insurance. A lot of times people will call me asking about this or that or whatever, and they're already insured elsewhere. Always go right to the top and get your answers, don't hit third party sites, don't even take our word for it here when it comes to specifics.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NancyPants posted:

It can go either way. It's quite common for rx plans to give you some discount on certain meds until you meet your deductible, but usually if you haven't met it, you're paying cash price. Same as medical insurance.

Shoot, I'm willing to bet I was a dumb-dumb and didn't understand how the deductible worked.

OssiansFolly posted:

It should be listed in a chart/spreadsheet for you when you signed up and when they sent you all your documents. If you signed up for the Silver plan (like most people do and you should have) then odds are you don't have a copay. I am willing to bet your annual deductible is fairly low with an 80/20 pay out up to another number and your office visits (other than annual wellness visits) and prescriptions are 100% out of pocket until your annual deductible is met.

Yeah, I got a Bronze cause it was :10bux: cheaper and saw a $3 difference between prescription drug copays. I though I was being clever by saving ~$7/month.

To clear up some confusion, I have read through the explanation of benefits or whatever its called, including the prescription specific one. I just never saw anything stipulating how the copays didn't take effect until after I worked through the deductible. Wish I had the chance to upgrade my plan now that I'm starting my second month and know what I really need.

So thanks insurance goons, I'm obviously not a very good at being an adult.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BirdOfPlay posted:

Shoot, I'm willing to bet I was a dumb-dumb and didn't understand how the deductible worked.

Yeah, I got a Bronze cause it was :10bux: cheaper and saw a $3 difference between prescription drug copays. I though I was being clever by saving ~$7/month.

To clear up some confusion, I have read through the explanation of benefits or whatever its called, including the prescription specific one. I just never saw anything stipulating how the copays didn't take effect until after I worked through the deductible. Wish I had the chance to upgrade my plan now that I'm starting my second month and know what I really need.

So thanks insurance goons, I'm obviously not a very good at being an adult.

It can be totally confusing! I'm glad you recognized the value of your insurance on what it gave you rather than on what it cost. This is good news!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I found out that my mother's been paying for life insurance on me; specifically, a 'Life paid-up at 98' plan from MetLife. She no longer wants to pay the premium on this and asks that I do from now on. While I'm okay with this since I started looking into retirement plans, I'm wondering if it's better to just dump the insurance plan to put the money into an IRA. I don't really have a desire to continue paying this well after my retirement (and I doubt I'll live to 98 in the first place) unless it's 'worth it.' The notice of payment due also states that I'll be getting a dividend, which covers about a third of the annual cost. Am I overlooking something? Has my mother set me up with a pretty sweet deal, or is this one of those things where I'm mainly paying into it to support my loved ones after I'm dead?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I found out that my mother's been paying for life insurance on me; specifically, a 'Life paid-up at 98' plan from MetLife. She no longer wants to pay the premium on this and asks that I do from now on. While I'm okay with this since I started looking into retirement plans, I'm wondering if it's better to just dump the insurance plan to put the money into an IRA. I don't really have a desire to continue paying this well after my retirement (and I doubt I'll live to 98 in the first place) unless it's 'worth it.' The notice of payment due also states that I'll be getting a dividend, which covers about a third of the annual cost. Am I overlooking something? Has my mother set me up with a pretty sweet deal, or is this one of those things where I'm mainly paying into it to support my loved ones after I'm dead?

You probably should cash it out and start paying more into your Roth IRA. If you give us numbers we can demonstrate that to you

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It depends on the cash value, the face amount, the cost, and other stipulations. If you feel comfortable sharing them here, then go right ahead!

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Don't throw good money after bad. It is almost certainly better to cancel the policy and invest instead. Please post the numbers if you'd like confirmation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got in an accident a week or so ago. The guy had Geico, they are taking liability. But they want me to use some one-stop thing where they do an assessment and then immediately start repairing it. That sounds like they're likely to under-assess the damage and try to push me out the door with a half-fixed car. Am I right? Is there any way I can just tell them "No, do the assessment, I'll see if I agree with it, then we'll go from there."

I already took it in to another body shop for a free assessment shortly after the accident, just to make sure it was safe to keep driving, so I have an idea of what is wrong. I've never had to get my car repaired before, I don't want to get screwed over. Especially when a company has as bad a reputation as Geico.

Edit: Or is this a thing where they can repair it, but as long as I don't sign that I'm happy with it they are still on the hook?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I would take it to a highly regarded body shop and have the adjuster look at it there. The body shop can have it torn down, too. Otherwise, if you want to get a check from the company and then find a shop to do partial work or something (eg I uninstalled damaged panels myself and had a shop spray them and install), tell them you don't have time to go to their body shop and you want them to send an adjuster to your house/workplace/etc. The mobile folks are generally a lot better, eg they know what to look for regarding hidden damage like blown bumper shocks, etc.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The mobile one is a good bet for sure.

I'd be leery of signing anything without having it verified by someone you trust, and I certainly wouldn't be super excited about a one stop shop that THEY choose. Remember, insurance companies have relationships with body shops because the body shops are easy to work with (for them) and are cheap (for them), not the other way around.

You can outright tell them you have another shop you'd prefer and if they go for it, great. If not, then I'd agree to theirs only if you can withold signing off with YOUR shop. If they don't agree to it then say you don't have time to do all of this and have the mobile guy come out. They want the claim closed just like you do, and so long as you're not up front with language that says "i'm going to cost you more money" they should be amenable to working out those other details.

BUT, it is GEICO and the guy had them cuz they're cheap, so YMMW when it comes to dealing with them. Let us know how it goes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So what's the wording I should use when saying I want to hold off on signing until I get a second opinion on the work done? I think that's what you're saying at least.

Honestly, all things being equal I would rather just get them to cut me a check and use it on my credit card debt. But I'm not sure that is feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So what's the wording I should use when saying I want to hold off on signing until I get a second opinion on the work done? I think that's what you're saying at least.

Honestly, all things being equal I would rather just get them to cut me a check and use it on my credit card debt. But I'm not sure that is feasible.

It actually is if you are willing to accept lower than what their shop offers. More than likely that WON'T be the case. Why not call up the claims guy over at GEICO and ask what their process is and how firm they are on their guy. If they balk mention that it would be cheaper to go to YOUR guy, or you'd be willing to accept X dollars and be done with it. That IS risky though because its no guarantee your car is fixed if you put money towards it, but you got that credit card debt paid off. But if you will accept a lower pay out, it's always an option.