Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just posted a reply to a bookmarked thread and went back to bookmarks and that thread is now duplicated, using the latest version from the app store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Any time I use the smilie keyboard when composing a reply it then grays out the bottom half of the screen after posting which requires killing the app to clear.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Lots of duplicated bookmarks now

Edit: changing sort in bookmarks fixed it, for now at least

Rnr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 1, 2015

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
So i have a cool rear end medal for being a fantastic poster, but whenever i post it has the grenade and medal overlapping and looks bad as should be evidenced on my post if youre using the app

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Along the same lines, I notice that occasionally people still have the soccer ball icon in the app, even though in a browser they no longer have it. How long will the soccer ball persist???

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Along the same lines, I notice that occasionally people still have the soccer ball icon in the app, even though in a browser they no longer have it. How long will the soccer ball persist???

Until someone on the app side remembers to get rid of it. The CSS for showing those things in the app and on the forums are completely independent of each other.

I haven't personally touched the code in a while but I'll try to fix both issues later tonight.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Broenheim posted:

So i have a cool rear end medal for being a fantastic poster, but whenever i post it has the grenade and medal overlapping and looks bad as should be evidenced on my post if youre using the app

I've partially fixed this. The alignment is still a little screwy, so I'll have to mess with it when I have more free time, but within the next day or so your grenade should disappear.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I couldn't find any code in the app that would still show soccer balls, but it's definitely possible I missed it somewhere, so let me know if you come across a specific example and I can look more closely into it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well, it just so happens I have an example on hand! Any of "track day bro!"'s posts have a soccer ball for me, but only on the iPad. I just pulled up the same post on my iPhone and it shows up without the soccer ball.

Try this post for example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706039&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post443483967

Also, lol, the iPad app crashed when I tapped the icon to get a link to that post. Both copies of the app are updated to the latest app store release.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I try to post in this thread, it says "network error: preview not found" or something similar when I hit Preview.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639990&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

Edit: OK, now that I have looked at it in a real browser, that post is archived, but is also still in my bookmarks list. I guess the app is not properly detecting archive posts to disable the Post button.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 2, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why are some posts blue in a just-their-posts list?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The pull-down loading swirly
occasionally cannot be seen
in dark mode
when you're refreshing a forum/bookmarks

e: I just checked and I see a dark gray swirly now. Odd, I know I've been missing the swirly. I edited the wording to be more vague. If I start noticing it missing again, I'll update.

DNK fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 3, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

david_a posted:

Thinking out loud here; could there be a feature to detect edits of recently read posts in a thread? Sometimes people edit their post as a response instead of making a new one. The way the app works right now that's totally invisible. I'm not sure how something like that would be shown in the UI though.

I'll add it to the list. It's certainly something that could exist, but I'd have to think about a smart way to do it.

101 posted:

For some reason in the latest beta you can't use the default themes or the (superior) orange YOSPOS theme

Also, image uploading failed so I had to use upit

I'll take a look at that, thanks!

GutBomb posted:

I just posted a reply to a bookmarked thread and went back to bookmarks and that thread is now duplicated, using the latest version from the app store

Sounds like there's a lot of that going around. Good to know that it might be related to replying though, maybe something's goofy in the scraping there.

IllegallySober posted:

Any time I use the smilie keyboard when composing a reply it then grays out the bottom half of the screen after posting which requires killing the app to clear.

That's a weird one, though I think it's come up once or twice before. Do you remember if you got to the keyboard by tapping the ":-)" button or by the usual system-wide keyboard selector globe key?

Subjunctive posted:

Why are some posts blue in a just-their-posts list?

Have you read them before?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm crashing as soon as I try to load a thread when I'm behind captive wifi, using the App Store version.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

That's a weird one, though I think it's come up once or twice before. Do you remember if you got to the keyboard by tapping the ":-)" button or by the usual system-wide keyboard selector globe key?

Used the ":-)" button. Although I think I've had it happen both ways.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In dark mode the loading screens (external URL or profile) are very bright. Could a change be made to have Awful's renderer be theme-aware?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I [img] -> camera -> take photo -> use photo I get a crash every time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I get the same with importing from library.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Subjunctive posted:

I had no idea you could even do that :stare:

When it does work, does it scale to avoid breaking tables?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I had no idea you could even do that :stare:

When it does work, does it scale to avoid breaking tables?

It'll [timg] it if large yeah.
On the beta and just noticed the (...) while quoting for the first time, snazzy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Library works for me (App Store version).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Library works for me (App Store version).

Oh sorry guess I should have specified I'm beta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've been thinking about it, and I've come to believe that deletion of bookmarks should have some visible UI indicator (like the outlook app's bottom overlay "undo delete" button). As it stands, you have to know about shaking there, which you almost certainly won't until you've come and complained in this thread.

Alternatively, we could show the thread entry crossed out and let people re-swipe to undelete. Remove the zombie thread from the list on refresh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I assume removing bookmarks is not something you commonly do, so a confirmation alert wouldn't cause that much friction. Opinions?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

The Dave posted:

I assume removing bookmarks is not something you commonly do, so a confirmation alert wouldn't cause that much friction. Opinions?

agreed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Yes, that makes even more sense.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Dave posted:

me too, with the beta on an updated 5s.

Also I get a crash as soon as I select [video]

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hey guys, I'm a UI designer and I've been using awful app for a while now and felt like taking a swing at redesigning it, hope y'all don't mind. :shobon:

Here's something I threw together in the last couple of hours, there's still a bunch of elements missing, but hopefully I'll have some more ready (maybe with animations!) later on.

Basically since this is a text heavy app, it's important to emphasise the typography to make the app feel lightweight. I also think the SA blue is really ugly and going with a nicer colour for interactive elements would help loads. You're just hooking into their API, so there's no need to maintain brand parity (unless Lowtax demanded otherwise). I kinda tried covering multiple use-cases in those mockups over there, which includes the use of emoticons, quoting and image linking.

Hopefully I'll have more done later, these are incredibly early-stage visuals.

I also think it would make sense to collate all important actions (sharing, posting, going to beginning/end) into an expandable button ala Path. I also tried staying true to the current app in terms of UX, just to keep pokeyman sane :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That doesn't look lightweight to me. It looks like way less information is displayed on screen at once, but somehow it's bloated that way, I guess due to all the padding.

I feel like the way Awful is currently, it has the readability and features I need in an app for this sort of thing and that a total redesign would hurt it more than help it.

I'm sure that type of UI would work for another type of app, but for reading/posting on the forums, it seems like it would be counterintuitive.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

You do a lot off scrolling anyhow, and from a visual design PoV you're better off making concentrated blocks of text as their own unique elements v:shobon:v

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Couple things:

1. I agree with the others that there's a little too much negative space/separation going on here. That might be more appropriate for a list of blog posts, but forum posts are related to each other much more closely, so it makes sense for them to appear closer. I don't agree that the current user interface is heavy, it does a good job of presenting the information in a readable fashion without consuming too much space.

2. I also don't think that cropping the avatars into circles is that great of an idea when they aren't cropped into circles on the forums themselves. There's no way to know how best to fit each image into a circle programmatically so the results will probably be less than stellar on some avatars (suppose I had one with a line of text extending across the bottom of the image; it would be cut off.)

also awful blue isn't that bad

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I don't know. I've thought a LOT about "Well Awful could really be a bit prettier" but for one I feel like pokeyman has so much technical debt to deal with I don't even want to put any new design up there. Where the app always could use more refining is animations / interaction. Maybe even the secondary line of info on thread listings.

Blue is really SA's primary color so just ditching it because you don't like it is ignorant to the brand. You can certainly abuse which blue you use a little since the site has gone through a couple and sort of looks like poo poo right now color palette-wise but I would be careful about just introducing a whole new identity just because.

Would love for you to post actual screens next time so I could see it first person on my phone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

2. I also don't think that cropping the avatars into circles is that great of an idea when they aren't cropped into circles on the forums themselves. There's no way to know how best to fit each image into a circle programmatically so the results will probably be less than stellar on some avatars (suppose I had one with a line of text extending across the bottom of the image; it would be cut off.)

That's a good point I should have thought to bring up. Circling the avatars could ruin some, even the text at the bottom of mine might get cut off.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just want a full screen mode like Alien Blue's :shobon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Dave posted:

That's a good point I should have thought to bring up. Circling the avatars could ruin some, even the text at the bottom of mine might get cut off.

circular images seems like an awfully jarring design choice in general insofar as it's contrary to how we think of images and photos basically the entire rest of the time.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just want a full screen mode like Alien Blue's :shobon:

Same!!! I swear it used to have one and it made reading LP's a godsend.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just want safaris auto-hiding bars. Someone hacked it in very quickly when iOS8 came out but it was never followed through.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Same!!! I swear it used to have one and it made reading LP's a godsend.

Awful.app did have full screen mode. It disappeared with the iOS7 redesign. I'd like it back, but the app is fine in the meantime.

Oh, and I like the idea of a "warn when deleting bookmarks" feature :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This'll be a bugs post, I'll split out the design stuff elsewhere.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm crashing as soon as I try to load a thread when I'm behind captive wifi, using the App Store version.

I'll take a look. I'm not surprised there are problems behind wifi dickerydoos but crashing clearly isn't a valid response.

IllegallySober posted:

Used the ":-)" button. Although I think I've had it happen both ways.

Good to know. While I tried hard to make them look similar, it's actually a completely different mechanism between the two ways to get the smilie keyboard, so I was wondering if it was consistent between the two. I'm not surprised that it is, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't.

FreshFeesh posted:

In dark mode the loading screens (external URL or profile) are very bright. Could a change be made to have Awful's renderer be theme-aware?

That's bad, I'll take a look.

Subjunctive posted:

The Dave posted:

Snowy posted:

Also I get a crash as soon as I select [video]

I'll take a look at these!

The Dave posted:

Yep, that's a winner.

I think it makes sense to remain without a confirmation for the "remove bookmark" action in the thread itself, because you can easily undo it yourself from the same menu.

The Dave posted:

I just want safaris auto-hiding bars. Someone hacked it in very quickly when iOS8 came out but it was never followed through.

Apple briefly added Safari's bar-hiding in a beta, then switched it out with something lamer for the release, and I think this is what got added to Awful. It is still on my list to do it properly, and I keep checking around for libraries that do a nice job of it, but most of them do a bad enough job that it breaks something else and honestly I'm kinda scared of the posts view these days so I haven't actually done it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

awesome-express posted:

Hey guys, I'm a UI designer and I've been using awful app for a while now and felt like taking a swing at redesigning it, hope y'all don't mind. :shobon:

Here's something I threw together in the last couple of hours, there's still a bunch of elements missing, but hopefully I'll have some more ready (maybe with animations!) later on.

Basically since this is a text heavy app, it's important to emphasise the typography to make the app feel lightweight. I also think the SA blue is really ugly and going with a nicer colour for interactive elements would help loads. You're just hooking into their API, so there's no need to maintain brand parity (unless Lowtax demanded otherwise). I kinda tried covering multiple use-cases in those mockups over there, which includes the use of emoticons, quoting and image linking.

Hopefully I'll have more done later, these are incredibly early-stage visuals.

I also think it would make sense to collate all important actions (sharing, posting, going to beginning/end) into an expandable button ala Path. I also tried staying true to the current app in terms of UX, just to keep pokeyman sane :v:

This actually hits at a good time, because I'm getting that eighteen-monthly desire to rewrite Awful. (Nobody worry, I'm not abandoning current Awful. If I actually act on the desire then it'll be a separate app at least until it reaches feature parity.) Do you have straight-on fullscreen mocks instead of these angled far-away things? I can't really comment on them because I can't see them.

Also

quote:

You're just hooking into their API
is pretty :laffo:. Let's just say I've learned a ton about HTML in the course of working on Awful.

The Dave posted:

Yeah I don't know. I've thought a LOT about "Well Awful could really be a bit prettier" but for one I feel like pokeyman has so much technical debt to deal with I don't even want to put any new design up there. Where the app always could use more refining is animations / interaction. Maybe even the secondary line of info on thread listings.

This is what's pushing me towards a rewrite. And to be fair, the technical debt is 98% my doing, I've made some pretty dumb decisions because "it's a free app that is critical to nobody's mission, so who cares what breaks" is too often my first thought. But if we're going to seriously look at some new design, I don't want to untangle Awful to make it happen, and if it scares you off too then that's another good reason to look seriously at a rewrite.

Again, I'm not announcing Something.app or anything (yet) but it's a possibility and y'all should feel free to dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Again, I'm not announcing Something.app or anything (yet) but it's a possibility and y'all should feel free to dream.

Oh I'm working on that. Give me a month or two and I'll have something(.app) worth showing. :getin:

• Locked thread