Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does a roundabout do other than be an intersection that takes a huge amount of space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

In game or in real life?

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
Yeah, can't bring myself to investigate Traffic++ because it seems to be a major cause of savegame weirdness.

Edit:

Baron Porkface posted:

What does a roundabout do other than be an intersection that takes a huge amount of space?

Main benefit is that it allows you to have a high-throughput intersection without any traffic lights. When an intersection has lights, there will be times when the light is red one direction but no traffic is coming from the other direction. Whereas with a roundabout, cars can enter the intersection as soon as there's a gap in traffic.

(The caveat is that your roads that branch off from the roundabout should not encounter any other intersections for a while, because traffic from that intersection could then back up into the roundabout and then you're screwed. But that also applies to traditional intersections.)

savetheclocktower fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He eventually caved and released the old "Zoneable pedestrian paths" version as a separate mod.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Bogan Krkic posted:

They're probably part of a busway ftw

This is correct. I have the bus route elevated and it only dips down next to pedestrian paths; this is where I put the stations on the route. I put the bus depot along the bus route in this screenshot but I have no idea if that is required or not. Probably not.

The idea was to keep buses out of traffic I have no idea if this is a good long-term strategy or not.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Speaking of roundabouts, in trying to fix my highway connection I experimented with turning the intersection into a roundabout. The result was even worse than having all my traffic backed up in a single lane. The roundabout instantly filled up with traffic and nothing inside the roundabout could move. Somehow every car was being.blocked by another. Anyone experience this before?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Subyng posted:

Speaking of roundabouts, in trying to fix my highway connection I experimented with turning the intersection into a roundabout. The result was even worse than having all my traffic backed up in a single lane. The roundabout instantly filled up with traffic and nothing inside the roundabout could move. Somehow every car was being.blocked by another. Anyone experience this before?

Screenshot might help, all I can picture is you bulldozing the area and connecting inbound traffic to a roundabout with no exits but surely that can't be what happened.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to reverse a one-way road? Or at least show its direction without having to find an intersection that shows arrows?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there any way to reverse a one-way road? Or at least show its direction without having to find an intersection that shows arrows?

Use the road upgrade tool and right click.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Street arrows

And I think with the base UI you can change one-way roads to go the other way now, but I'm not sure how. I've still got this mod installed from back when you couldn't do it with the base game, and with the mod it's just click and drag in the direction you want it to go, dead simple.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Is there an easy way to unlock the Courthouse? I can't seem to get the crime rate to 50% no matter what I do. I start a new city, zone some residential, then provide power and water so I can reach the population milestone required for the courthouse. Even with no police, fire, hospitals, cemeteries, garbage dumps, or anything else my crime rate seems to stagnate at around 30-35%. I've tried shutting off water, power or sewage but when I do everyone just moves out and the crime rate plummets because no one is around. I have also de-zoned my industrial and commercial zones thinking that unemployment would raise the rate but that seemed to drop the crime rate for some reason.

EDIT: Nevermind I got it, it looks like de-zoning all your industrial and commercial will cause a sharp rise. I missed some areas earlier

sdr782 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 7, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Use the road upgrade tool and right click.

This feels like it needs OP'd in big lights because its something other player's have been headpalming over when you mention it. I will never, EVER put down a road properly. Ever.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do guides keep encouraging one ways? How will emergency services function?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do guides keep encouraging one ways? How will emergency services function?

In my larger industrial area my streets are all one way but I have a raised loop road running right through it with off ramps that then loops back to where all my services are. Works pretty well. No one uses the loop back but the services.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Diverging Diamond Interchange I wonder if this will work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I use them in my city, they're alright.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Looking at it my brain shuts down from apparent complexity. However, the accompanying explanation video (while very dry) explains how it will work and it looks like a much better type of highway intersection.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there a way to figure out what type of lot a building is, instead of 'The Briar Rose Residence' for instance?

I have a building downloaded that's glitching badly on LoD. When I zoom out, the low detail model is like 4 times the size and clips through neighbouring buildings.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wit posted:

This feels like it needs OP'd in big lights because its something other player's have been headpalming over when you mention it. I will never, EVER put down a road properly. Ever.

It's not in big lights but it's there now. I also added that Street Arrows mod.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there a way to figure out what type of lot a building is, instead of 'The Briar Rose Residence' for instance?

I have a building downloaded that's glitching badly on LoD. When I zoom out, the low detail model is like 4 times the size and clips through neighbouring buildings.

Can't you just activate the zoning tool and then check the color/size of the lot?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SPUI Interchanges are cool too, but don't really work in Cities:Skylines.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

HardDisk posted:

Can't you just activate the zoning tool and then check the color/size of the lot?

That doesn't tell me what building model/lot it is specifically though? Sure it tells me it's residential but I knew that from the name.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there a way (via mod perhaps) that will let me rezone without first dezoning an area?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a way (via mod perhaps) that will let me rezone without first dezoning an area?

You can right-click to dezone. Don't know about any faster method.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Not that I'm aware of, but you can right click to dezone no matter what zone tool you have selected at least. It's a bit quicker that clicking the dezone tool specifically.

Efb

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 7, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GrossMurpel posted:

You can right-click to dezone. Don't know about any faster method.

I know but I've been trying to rezone to high density and it's so tedious.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Anyone else crashing when trying to return to the main menu?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Subyng posted:

Me. Every time.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Let's list all our mods and see what we have in common? That should help narrow down the culprit. It didn't start happening to me until I subscribed to a bunch of new buildings.

Here's my poo poo: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=421004016

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I think the crashing on quit to menu or desktop is more about volume of assets loaded rather than a specific mod.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I know but I've been trying to rezone to high density and it's so tedious.
I'm not sure if it's the same as the district stuff but there might be an option for 'no zone' and you can then use the brush or square area selection tools instead of the fill tool to get rid of areas. You also can probably do that via right click anyway.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting out so excuse the super noob question. I had issues in my first game with my industrial area becoming a wasteland, presumably because everyone was too educated.

My theory for fixing this in my current game, is only putting a Tier 1 school in my first residential zone, and putting a Tier 2 school in my second residential expansion.

Will this work? Can people use the Tier 2 school without having a Tier 1 school nearby?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

xcore posted:

I'm just starting out so excuse the super noob question. I had issues in my first game with my industrial area becoming a wasteland, presumably because everyone was too educated.

My theory for fixing this in my current game, is only putting a Tier 1 school in my first residential zone, and putting a Tier 2 school in my second residential expansion.

Will this work? Can people use the Tier 2 school without having a Tier 1 school nearby?

No. Education is global. In order to prevent your industry from being ignored you either continue your population growth so you have lots of slave labor or get your industry upgraded so they have regular jobs for educated workers.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

No. Education is global. In order to prevent your industry from being ignored you either continue your population growth so you have lots of slave labor or get your industry upgraded so they have regular jobs for educated workers.

Just zone more residential. Educated people don't refuse to work poo poo jobs toiling in the factories, they just go for the highly educated jobs first and then filter down when nothing else is available. Quite like reality, in fact. Everyone assumes that there are a bunch of cim PhDs sitting around refusing to work at the box factory, but actually they're just all gainfully employed at better jobs. The reason you see a lot of low educated jobs sitting open is because no one wants to work those jobs unless they have no other options. Which means just getting more people in general to move into your city. It's low educated people that can't fill the highly educated jobs, not the other way around.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
For those who like achievements, I've had friends who had trouble with the Crime at 40% + for several years.

High density is what you need to get it. If you provide fire protection, crime rate will go down actually. But if you don't, it will fluctuate a lot due to the low population and constant building abandonment. Best solution is to just power through to high density zoning and zone a bunch, then take out the police stations. Definitely do not skimp on fire or medical, even some education is okay. But no police. You'll get there pretty easily but just let the sim run for a while.

edit: Also an easy way to get low mayor approval, once you get the crime achievement, just deleted all medical and fire, and plop a bunch of garbage dumps. Easy way to get terrible approval fast.

In fact, here's some nice images of the lovely hell hole I built!
Side note: Hate how there's no true depth of field. That would make some images a lot cooler. I'm sure eventually there will be a mod for that.

Cages

Protests at Lunch

Misery Towers

Unrelated!
Is there a limit to water level in maps? Like if you build a drat, and the water floods up to a water source or the end of the map, will it keep flooding up to meet the drat height? Or will it just stop flooding? The Zion map's water level never seems to increase. :(

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 7, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Subyng posted:

Yep, and on exit too.

I've asked reddit and the steam discussions and no one answers. I'd imagine because there's not a lot to say. I'd take silence over 'update driverz' any day of the week though!

I've tried no mods/assets and it still does it , no idea why. It's annoying when testing assets as you have to load the whole game from boot.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just zone more residential. Educated people don't refuse to work poo poo jobs toiling in the factories, they just go for the highly educated jobs first and then filter down when nothing else is available.

I'm actually really glad for the confusion over that issue, because it lead to me making a massive development on the other side of the map of my first city with a high concentration of industrial zones in a (futile) effort to create an uneducated slum.

Long after I discovered my mistake the massive logistical problems of Proletariat Corner, with its excess of industry and lack of commercial development, and its extreme distance from the rest of my city, has been a constant source of transit issues and other logistical nightmares. And untangling that kind of poo poo is half the fun!

All those Lenin statues surrounded by shining glass luxury residential skyscrapers really keep the district grounded in its roots: a failed attempt to create a segregated working class slum.

But seriously, it'd be great, purely for the sake of creating more character in different parts of your city, for there to be like a "local services only" ordinance. Cims won't go to school outside the district, and fire/trash/police/etc. won't come from other districts. Theoretically as a traffic ameliorating ordinance, but really just because it'd be a fun tool to gently caress with regions like that.

Also to make small towns. I love making small towns.

Maybe you could get a similar effect with insanely expensive toll roads. There's so much potential in this game!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

simosimo posted:

Yep, and on exit too.

I've asked reddit and the steam discussions and no one answers. I'd imagine because there's not a lot to say. I'd take silence over 'update driverz' any day of the week though!

I've tried no mods/assets and it still does it , no idea why. It's annoying when testing assets as you have to load the whole game from boot.

I actually had a lot of success stopping the crash on exit and crash to menu by removing all mods and assets, but then I gave up on it, subscribed to a million assets again and started crashing on quit again. The game also takes ages to load with too many assets, and I reached a point where I had too many assets and the game wouldn't load at all anymore. Idk though, because ymdv

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So...there's this now: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=421028969

Now, I can't be certain because I'm not even really sure what this does, but anyone familiar with KSP modding will remember Majiir's ModStatistics. Though this probably isn't anything like that (I think...) it sure started reminding me about it. Reading the description, it seems pretty self-explanatory and innocuous, yet it also tries to sell itself really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012