Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Played skirmish ImpAss tonight. Can't say I'm impressed with it, but then again I was going in comparing it to actual skirmish minis games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Finally got to play Armada tonight! Strangely even though this is suppose to be the "slower" alternative to X-Wing the game itself went pretty fast and we have pretty much no problems although i do need 2 clarifications

1.When using anti-squadron weapons and you roll 2 dice, if you are trying to shoot at range that doesn't allow that color you simply can't hit them right just like when shooting at regular ships correct? (The Nebulon Frigate shooting with 2 blue dice at Range 3 was the offender here)

2. The first round is the only one where you set all command dials for all ships and reveal them all right? In the rounds after that you set your orders at the beginning only get to use one dial per round? I suppose it would prevent the situation we had where my Corvette got taken out early so the Star Destoryer would get 3 moves to my Frigates 1.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Finally got to play Armada tonight! Strangely even though this is suppose to be the "slower" alternative to X-Wing the game itself went pretty fast and we have pretty much no problems although i do need 2 clarifications

1.When using anti-squadron weapons and you roll 2 dice, if you are trying to shoot at range that doesn't allow that color you simply can't hit them right just like when shooting at regular ships correct? (The Nebulon Frigate shooting with 2 blue dice at Range 3 was the offender here)

2. The first round is the only one where you set all command dials for all ships and reveal them all right? In the rounds after that you set your orders at the beginning only get to use one dial per round? I suppose it would prevent the situation we had where my Corvette got taken out early so the Star Destoryer would get 3 moves to my Frigates 1.

1. Correct

2. What. One dial per round, always. The Victory never gets to bank three tokens on the first turn. One dial per round.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh i'm a moron, the exact wording is

quote:

During the first Command Phase, the players must assign command dials to their ships so that each ship has a number of command dials equal to it's command value. The Rebel player must choose one command for his CR90 and two commands for his Nebulon-B, The Imperial player must choose three commands for his Victory-class Star Destroyer

During the Command Phase of each subsequent round,players choose only one command for each of their ship because each ship reveals only one dial during the Ship Phase

So you're just going through the different dials through the rounds and not all the dials every round :hurr:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
And don't forget that you are limited to one token of each type, and you can hold a maximum number of tokens equal to your command value. If you take a token in excess of that, you discard.

Example: The Imperial player has a Victory Star Destroyer and Grand Moff Tarkin. The VSD has a Command value of 3. On the first three turns, the Imperial player uses his revealed command and takes a different token with Tarkin without using it. At the end of the third turn, he has ... let's say a Focus Fire, Activate Squadrons, and Repair token. At the beginning of the fourth turn, he uses Tarkin to give his VSD a Navigate token. Since he now has more tokens (4) than his Command Value (3), he has to discard one of them. He chooses to discard the Squadron token and slaps himself on the forehead for being inefficient.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
If anyone's on the fence about ImpAss (like I was), a seller on Amazon has it for 68.45 with Prime, which is close to seven dollars off CSI's price.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

The Journey Fraternity posted:

If anyone's on the fence about ImpAss (like I was), a seller on Amazon has it for 68.45 with Prime, which is close to seven dollars off CSI's price.

I am on the fence about picking it up because of that, and shoving it in my luggage since the box wasn't as huge as I thought it would be. is there enough room in the box to store a couple of the expansions as well? I was thinking of getting the Royal Guard Champ, IG-88, Han & Chewie.

signalnoise posted:

Played skirmish ImpAss tonight. Can't say I'm impressed with it, but then again I was going in comparing it to actual skirmish minis games.

Just curious if you could go into more detail on any complaints? I'm mainly getting it for the campaign, but I'd also like to hear more info on the skirmish game.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I am on the fence about picking it up because of that, and shoving it in my luggage since the box wasn't as huge as I thought it would be. is there enough room in the box to store a couple of the expansions as well? I was thinking of getting the Royal Guard Champ, IG-88, Han & Chewie.

It's a pretty substantial box. Keeping the insert, you can probably fit all of the first wave expansions without issue. Depending on how much stuff comes in the second wave stuff, there's probably enough room for that, too, once the insert is taken out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played Armada this weekend and I kind of liked it. I had 2 VSDs, 8 TIE Squadrons and Howlrunner, against 5 X-Wings, 2 Corvettes and 2 Nebulons (so yeah, we played with 2 cores). Managed to win after 6 rounds and had a lot of fun. The two sides 'felt' right. The rebels were zippy, their X-Wings pack as well. VSDs feel appropriately chunky, TiEs die really quickly though (as should be really). I might get into it if X-Wing stop making waves.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I played Armada this weekend and I kind of liked it. I had 2 VSDs, 8 TIE Squadrons and Howlrunner, against 5 X-Wings, 2 Corvettes and 2 Nebulons (so yeah, we played with 2 cores). Managed to win after 6 rounds and had a lot of fun. The two sides 'felt' right. The rebels were zippy, their X-Wings pack as well. VSDs feel appropriately chunky, TiEs die really quickly though (as should be really). I might get into it if X-Wing stop making waves.

Don't count on X-wing stopping any time soon. That's a hard cash cow for FFG right now, and I'm expecting them to milk it as long as they can. I think we're going to see ... one more wave focused on Scum and Villainy, and at least two more spread out to the other factions as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cobbsprite posted:

Don't count on X-wing stopping any time soon. That's a hard cash cow for FFG right now, and I'm expecting them to milk it as long as they can. I think we're going to see ... one more wave focused on Scum and Villainy, and at least two more spread out to the other factions as well.
Yes, and then episode 7 will hit and we'll have even more ships for both games. :evilbuddy:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone have one of the old Micro Machine blockade runners? If so, how big is it compared to the Armada one?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

Anyone have one of the old Micro Machine blockade runners? If so, how big is it compared to the Armada one?

top: the old lovely game from wizards
middle: micro
bottom armada

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Tekopo posted:

I had a similar experience except my X-Wings couldn't shoot for toffee so got spanked and I only managed to strip both SD's of their shields and cripple one by turn six. No X-Wings and but my 'vettes and Nebs were untouched to his three TIEs and Howlrunner. One more turn and one of his SD's was toast and I could of run down his other one who was out of position.

To me it feels like a true spiritual successor to Battlefleet Gothic with just enough complexity to be a challenge but not too many niggle details.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wave 2 officially announced

Looks pretty sweet.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

top: the old lovely game from wizards
middle: micro
bottom armada

I've got these too, and they're the same.

Edit: Oh my GOD, ISD is going to roll EIGHT dice in the forward arc. Three red, two blue, three black. That's just not funny.

Cobbsprite fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 6, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite posted:

I've got these too, and they're the same.

Edit: Oh my GOD, ISD is going to roll EIGHT dice in the forward arc. Three red, two blue, three black. That's just not funny.

A Dominator already rolls eight dice in the forward arc, in the exact same configuration (for a Victory I) or an arguably even more effective 3R/5U arrangement (for a Victory II).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Strobe posted:

A Dominator already rolls eight dice in the forward arc, in the exact same configuration (for a Victory I) or an arguably even more effective 3R/5U arrangement (for a Victory II).

...which might lead one to suspect there is a title in there that would add more dice to the Imp, as well.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

With Dominator title (which means you can't use one of the OTHER useful titles which are in the VSD pack) and at the cost of two shields. And if you're using Advanced Gunnery or Gunner Teams then you don't get that bonus unless you pay two shields AGAIN.

I vaporized a CR90 in one salvo with a VSD's 3R/3Bk battery, Imagine how much it's going to hurt to pour that plus two blue into something bigger and tougher. Even with Brace defensive tokens, we're talking about massive damage.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

:circlefap:

I'm picking up my copy of Armada tomorrow. How much time was spent on assembling everything in the box, roughly?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Everything is easy to assemble except the squadrons, hope your thumbs love sharp edges! From punching out everything to full assembly was maybe 30-45 minutes? More or less depending on your luck with the squads.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I'm trying to decide how useful two core sets are. Assuming I'm planning to buy at least one of every expansion, it seems like two core sets aren't as cost efficient as in x-wing? I'll be mostly playing at home with friends. Any thoughts from those who have it? I'd like the extra range tool thing and damage cards etc for second players but maybe not worth the huge core set cost?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Blamestorm posted:

I'm trying to decide how useful two core sets are. Assuming I'm planning to buy at least one of every expansion, it seems like two core sets aren't as cost efficient as in x-wing? I'll be mostly playing at home with friends. Any thoughts from those who have it? I'd like the extra range tool thing and damage cards etc for second players but maybe not worth the huge core set cost?

I wouldn't bother with another core. Just wait for the expansions. Unless you want to run 3 victory destroyers or some such nonsense at some point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

It's about twenty bucks' difference (retail) between the box and the three ships. If you buy an extra dice set and maneuver tool, the difference is essentially nil. So, I guess it depends on how much you want all those things?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The ISD I has black and blue anti-fighter dice. Not too shabby. Home One has six dice broadsides, so that is rather nice too.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
The question is probably more like how likely am I to want to run multiples of ships in the core set, I suppose - it was kind of clear with x-wing that a bunch of ties and xwings would be useful to bulk out lists but I'm not so sure about VSDs etc. The sets are even more expensive in Australia so I think I'll just stick to expansions for now as suggested. I was thinking a bit proactively as there can be a big time lag between order and delivery from the places I usually get this stuff from, so if I do end up wanting a second core set it could be months depending on local stock.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Blamestorm posted:

The question is probably more like how likely am I to want to run multiples of ships in the core set, I suppose - it was kind of clear with x-wing that a bunch of ties and xwings would be useful to bulk out lists but I'm not so sure about VSDs etc. The sets are even more expensive in Australia so I think I'll just stick to expansions for now as suggested. I was thinking a bit proactively as there can be a big time lag between order and delivery from the places I usually get this stuff from, so if I do end up wanting a second core set it could be months depending on local stock.

Get a friend to play with and split the factions between you when you play opposites.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

Get a friend to play with and split the factions between you when you play opposites.

This is pretty much what I did. Played a night of demos with just my core and got four of the local X-Wing crew to buy in once they saw it in action.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dulkor posted:

This is pretty much what I did. Played a night of demos with just my core and got four of the local X-Wing crew to buy in once they saw it in action.

That's a gorgeous pic, and might have just sold me on Armada :swoon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You might think again if you imagine trying to use the maneuver tool in that pic :(

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

General Battuta posted:

You might think again if you imagine trying to use the maneuver tool in that pic :(

This is exactly why I built mine backwards as soon as I saw every joint was the same distance. All the excess is alongside or behind the ship instead of sweeping across the field.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Even without building it backwards, start at speed (4 - current speed). Your tool will only extend as far as you're moving anyway.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

Even without building it backwards, start at speed (4 - current speed). Your tool will only extend as far as you're moving anyway.

I'm a whore and I just bought two maneuver tools off eBay for fifteen bucks. Going to assemble them for Speed 2 and Speed 3, and it'll be ten times easier to explain it to new players.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Strobe posted:

This is trivial to figure out and the problems with it are equally trivial to spot. The tool is still obnoxious and it's probably worth keeping a half-built one around.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No argument, though the problems are at least lessened compared to using it as it was 'intended'. Having multiples of varying lengths is a less simple, more effective measure.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Weissritter posted:

The ISD I has black and blue anti-fighter dice. Not too shabby. Home One has six dice broadsides, so that is rather nice too.

Eight dice with Admiral Ackbar as your Commander. The Frigate in that expansion will get 7 dice with Ackbar as well. Add Turbolasers and it goes from 8 to 9 and 7 to 8 respectively. Holy crap.

One thing that took people I was showing the game a little to grasp is how much better the dice are compared to X-Wing. Going from X-wing where you have a low chanceto hit without focus followed by a defence roll to this game which has hit everywhere with a focus more on clever shield tanking caused people to think they were constantly getting "lucky" rolls.

Can anyone identify all the ships in this picture? I don't recognise the rebel ship in the middle or the two imperial ships that are not the Aggressor.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Putting the Raider into both games is a clever, clever move FFG.

Phrosphor posted:

Eight dice with Admiral Ackbar as your Commander. The Frigate in that expansion will get 7 dice with Ackbar as well. Add Turbolasers and it goes from 8 to 9 and 7 to 8 respectively. Holy crap.

One thing that took people I was showing the game a little to grasp is how much better the dice are in this game. Going from X-wing where you have a low success to hit without focus followed by a defence roll to this with hit's everywhere and a focus more on clever shield tanking caused people to think they were constantly getting "lucky" rolls.

Can anyone identify all the ships in this picture? I don't recognise the rebel ship in the middle or the two imperial ships that are not the Aggressor.

Looking at the H at the start of one of the text boxes, I'd put good money on one of them being the Hound's Tooth with Bossk on board.

The other is Dengar on board the Punishing One.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Phrosphor posted:

Left to right
Boba Fett's Slave I
Han Solo's Millennium Falcon
Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow
Nym's Havoc, an H-6 prototype bomber
Dash Rendar's Outrider
Bossk's Hounds Tooth
IG-88 in the IG-2000
Dengar in the Punishing One

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thank you, I knew them all but the Havoc, Hound's Tooth and Punishing One.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Phrosphor posted:

Thank you, I knew them all but the Havoc, Hound's Tooth and Punishing One.

I figured people knew most of the them, but I decided to be a completist

I only knew the havoc from the FFG forums. Apparently it's trade federation era? I guess they were scrambling for another rebel appropriate ship that wasn't a YT freighter (the Azzameens get shafted, also I bet the Slave I is the only named version of the firespray, since Emon in the Andrasta would be more "rebel")

I guess we're assuming all these ships are tagged either Rebel or Imp only?