Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Amiibo people are worse than bronies because atleast you can find the toys at stores months from now and they have supply ready and waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What is Social Justice?
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Amiibo people are worse than bronies because atleast you can find the toys at stores months from now and they have supply ready and waiting.

i dont even understand what the gently caress this comment says. but i can tell you there are some amiibo that are already "out of print" and will never be restocked, because nintendo is fuckin dumb and thinks the priority is what the toys activate on consoles, rather than "holy poo poo official nintendo figures of characters besides mario"

so you get a bunch of stores piled with five overproduced characters, like mario and DK and pikachu, and then all the figures people actually want are one-offs, leading to pre-orders for a fuckin jigglypuff toy selling out within 2 minutes of going up on amazon

some of these people haven't slept in like 3 days because wave 4 preorders were late going up on amazon

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

some of these people haven't slept in like 3 days because wave 4 preorders were late going up on amazon

why are they doing that, though? :stare:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Being young and obsessive about stuff that won't matter in 6 months. Amiibo is the new beany babies.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the gold mario amiibo is hella funny because it gives off the illusion of value simply by being gold, regardless of how rare it is.

poo poo is gold, nuff said

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

why are they doing that, though? :stare:

because if they miss the instant those preorders go up, there is a good chance the toy they want will then be unattainable without paying several times the retail price. some places are selling out so fast that you could be second in line and still be too late to get one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I generally enjoy Nintendo's products but it's amazing how they've been a business this long and still can't manage basic things like supply and demand.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I wanted to say that I am waiting for one game this month and it is gta 5 for pc, I hope that the online runs well because this is the big reason I am getting it. On console(360) the online was just awkward because thing sometimes didn't load properly and it was obviously unable to handle it in a way that is enjoyable.

edit: For the Amiibo I think Nintendo doesnt give a gently caress and know that everything will sale. Switching production line fast make it harder to make fake Amiibo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

because if they miss the instant those preorders go up, there is a good chance the toy they want will then be unattainable without paying several times the retail price. some places are selling out so fast that you could be second in line and still be too late to get one.

okay... so why are they doing those things?! it'll suck not to have the toy but not as much as staying up until 4 AM or paying like 50 dollars for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

i dont even understand what the gently caress this comment says. but i can tell you there are some amiibo that are already "out of print" and will never be restocked, because nintendo is fuckin dumb and thinks the priority is what the toys activate on consoles, rather than "holy poo poo official nintendo figures of characters besides mario"

so you get a bunch of stores piled with five overproduced characters, like mario and DK and pikachu, and then all the figures people actually want are one-offs, leading to pre-orders for a fuckin jigglypuff toy selling out within 2 minutes of going up on amazon

Again still worse than bronies because Hasbro has waves for transformers and all it's toys that have figures that are absent in future waves. And yet they do not have a problem making more money than Nintendo by providing actual toys instead of loving statues. You can go into a store right now and buy pretty much the first few waves of Combiner Wars with no issue.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I generally enjoy Nintendo's products but it's amazing how they've been a business this long and still can't manage basic things like supply and demand.

to be fair i don't think nintendo was anticipating insane people like the guy who bought $4000 worth of Rosalina amiibos out of actual genuine autistic hatred of the character.

gamestop employees are also putting themselves at the top of preorder lists, or just withholding stock just to see which ones they can take home and resell. there's a lot of hosed up poo poo happening in the amiibo trading world right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

okay... so why are they doing those things?! it'll suck not to have the toy but not as much as staying up until 4 AM or paying like 50 dollars for it.

They're getting scalped like concert tickets and people really really want them before that happens because they go from literally 20 bucks in-store to 100+ once they get into the grubby hands of some chode who bought it just so they could do that :shrug:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

People want toys, have no self control and have nothing better to do.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

to be fair i don't think nintendo was anticipating insane people like the guy who bought $4000 worth of Rosalina amiibos out of actual genuine autistic hatred of the character.

Oh yeah sure a Japanese company that is located in Japan has no idea how insane collectors are out there.

Land of the loving 800 dollar blu-rays sets because people will gladly pay 800 dollars.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh yeah sure a Japanese company that is located in Japan has no idea how insane collectors are out there.

it's actually kind of amazing how ignorant japanese businessmen are about a lot of things. nintendo is only just now taking baby steps into markets that other companies cornered a decade ago. the internet is still sort of a mystery to them

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

At least they still know how to make games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

it's actually kind of amazing how ignorant japanese businessmen are about a lot of things. nintendo is only just now taking baby steps into markets that other companies cornered a decade ago. the internet is still sort of a mystery to them

The internet in Japan is still in it's infancy. They just got pop-up ads a few years ago and geocities are still a thing.

The limited collector's mentality of amiibos has existed in Japan for decades, they just tried to apply it to other countries where this poo poo really doesn't happen anymore. I'm glad that I thoroughly do not give a poo poo about them.

Seriously you want Zelda and Firemblem statues? They have them and they're larger and cheaper than amiibos of all the characters you could ever want.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

did this thread suddenly get filled with angry World War II veterans?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why are there people talking to taint reaper

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Are you questioning my vast and infinite knowledge of plastic anime knick-knacks?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I wont get an Amiibo but it's seems great for kid and the asking price isn't so bad. It just I dont really see the point to own more then one of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The reason people can't buy enough of the robo-toys is because major economic power and developed country, Japan, is a backward island nation, with strange natives who have yet to discover the word "business"

-goons

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bleusilences posted:

I wont get an Amiibo but it's seems great for kid and the asking price isn't so bad. It just I dont really see the point to own more then one of them.

13 dollars for a plastic statue is pisspoor, same with infinity and Skylanders.

for 13 bucks you could buy the World of Nintendo guys who are not only larger and can move, you can buy more than one.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

i don't know, why did he get forums cancer and then get it lifted, instead of just being banned

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

13 dollars for a plastic statue is pisspoor, same with infinity and Skylanders.

for 13 bucks you could buy the World of Nintendo guys who are not only larger and can move, you can buy more than one.

Arent they memory card of something like that that you just swipe to load your stats at a friends house?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

The reason people can't buy enough of the robo-toys is because major economic power and developed country, Japan, is a backward island nation, with strange natives who have yet to discover the word "business"

-goons

You have no idea how backwards japanese-centric businesses are. It's a real thing and it's why so much poo poo is run differently than their American and European branches.

There's a documentary on how KFC came to japan and how it stayed despite a ton of other major players failing. You can't treat a business in japan like you can in America.

seriously ask microsoft.

Bleusilences posted:

Arent they memory card of something like that that you just swipe to load your stats at a friends house?

That's only for smash brothers. And it's only for the ones that are compatable with the ingame counterpart.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

too bad like half of these things will never even reach store shelves, and several will never reach the hands of the kids they are aimed at because of nutjob scalpers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Noted business experts, "The Taint Reaper" and the Sonic Hedgehog guy who gets his news from 4chan have got Japan's socioeconomic problems licked.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Excels posted:

too bad like half of these things will never even reach store shelves, and several will never reach the hands of the kids they are aimed at because of nutjob scalpers

That's just sad man, I did see a lot of them at ebgames and best buy so it's not out of reach to get one at least.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

Noted business experts, "The Taint Reaper" and the Sonic Hedgehog guy who gets his news from 4chan have got Japan's socioeconomic problems licked.

They're running on an extremely conservative 18th century banking system, this is not a joke or an exaggeration. This is the reality of how the place functions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

-goons

See that's the weird thing, Japan's business practices are definitely different from most of the world's, just like a lot of their cultural stuff is. It's not specifically Japan's problem. For them it works fine but translated directly to other countries without accounting for their business culture (specifically that of the US and UK) it just doesn't work. Nobody is saying any of those vaguely racist things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is saying any of those vaguely racist things.

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're running on an extremely conservative 18th century banking system, this is not a joke or an exaggeration. This is the reality of how the place functions.

The Taint Reaper posted:

You have no idea how backwards japanese-centric businesses are.

Excels posted:

it's actually kind of amazing how ignorant japanese businessmen are about a lot of things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the importance is in the phrasing. Taint Reaper said "backwards" when what he really meant was "different" but that's Taint Reaper for you I guess given the post above it, taint reaped again etc

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You see, "backwards" and "ignorant" and "infancy" just mean, uh, different.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's not what I meant, dummy. I meant that he said "backwards" which has racist implications when he meant (edit: or, probably should have said) "different" as in actually different than our own, not different as in a still-racist literal substitute for the word backwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But he didn't say that because he's Taint Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I meant that he said "backwards" which has racist implications when he meant (edit: or, probably should have said) "different" as in actually different than our own, not different as in a still-racist literal substitute for the word backwards.

Re-read this and spend a little bit of time inside this word labyrinth and I think you will see that it is in fact you who are the dummy!

• Locked thread