Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Worse, he looks more like an Eric Allie type.

I've been wondering if Jerm nicked Mike Lester's drawing style with permission or what. I mean, Jerm didn't start cartooning until 2005, and he is clearly aware of Lester, given that he has two of Lester's cartoons archived on his web host for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Don't Iranian Jews have protected seats in the Iranian legislature?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Why is the Religious Right losing out to Legalized Bigotry when that's exactly what they've been campaigning for for decades?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

there wolf posted:

I think I'm on Pitchfork's side with this one. The inde scene is super white, especially the parts of it that approach more mainstream music scenes, and white people in general are granted more prestige and credibility than POCs in art, even when it's a type of art that originated in a POC culture. That being said, I find this particular piece messy and a bit redundant.The author was trying to make a case for how the inde scene reinforces it's own homogenous image by excluding POC representation and devaluing POC artists, but the result is a scatter-shot collection of grievances rather than a cohesive pattern of behavior. Even if the subject matter is laudable, it's just not a good article.

It's fine to say that indie rock is too white, it's not fine to say that one particular guy is too white. What the gently caress is he supposed to do, retire from music in shame?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mellow Seas posted:

It's fine to say that indie rock is too white, it's not fine to say that one particular guy is too white.

It's a good thing the article doesn't actually say what pwn says it does at all, then. Murdoch was being slammed for only acknowledging whiteness, not for "being too white".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

there wolf posted:

I think I'm on Pitchfork's side with this one. The inde scene is super white, especially the parts of it that approach more mainstream music scenes, and white people in general are granted more prestige and credibility than POCs in art, even when it's a type of art that originated in a POC culture. That being said, I find this particular piece messy and a bit redundant.The author was trying to make a case for how the inde scene reinforces it's own homogenous image by excluding POC representation and devaluing POC artists, but the result is a scatter-shot collection of grievances rather than a cohesive pattern of behavior. Even if the subject matter is laudable, it's just not a good article.

You're too charitable. The article was a complete mess of half-thoughts and pretensions. Even more so than usual Pitchfork, I mean.

http://ripfork.com/2015/03/response-to-the-unbearable-whiteness-of-indie-by-sarah-sahim/

quote:

Let’s look at some of the examples you chose to illustrate your far-flung complaints about this general scourge of Whiteness: Major Lazer (cultural appropriation), Bono (white savior complex), Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift (…icons of White aspiration?). Other than Major Lazer, those artists are about as indie as chicken soup is corned beef. The example you used to support the ill perception of an artist of color threatening a white “space” is the fracas over Kanye West headlining the Glastonbury Festival. Wow, that’s so indie that it’s…not at all indie.

I figured you were going to refocus your argument. But of the four musicians you cite under a very broad definition of “independent scene,” you chose to focus on M.I.A. and Heems, rooted in rap, and then try to make the case that their messages are not taken seriously in a musical genre historically dominated by young African-Americans by comparing them to…three white rock musicians aged 46, 61, and 54 respectively.
Sarah, let’s forget that major-label Bono had a career before he drove to Africa, because I think the bigger issue is your contention about the price of music with a message. I don’t know if you have functioning eyes, but the hip-hop landscape isn’t that heavily laced with the horrible Whiteness you’re describing. So it seems odd that you’d step outside the relevant music scene to make such a heated point unless the point would fall flat if you didn’t.

Sarah, regardless of how scattered your argument became, I kept coming back to one thing: motivation. What’s the POINT of this article you wrote? Who are you trying to help? What are you trying to accomplish? You name four prominent performers who “look like you,” but you never so much as mention a struggling band of “browns” you know and love who’ve been actively shut out of consideration by racist music labels because they don’t fit the marketable concept of “Whiteness.” There’s nothing like that.

But who needs clear, tangible evidence when giving the IMPRESSION of an “omnipresent” problem will attract just as much if not more attention? You give the impression there are “masses of talent,” artists with skin color running the gamut from Korean milk to Sudanese sable, lined up at the doors of every independent record label in the U.S. and elsewhere, doors that won’t yield because the password is “Caucasian.” But you don’t name any of them.

Sarah, I’m not suggesting there isn’t something worth investigating here, just that you did a crappy, needlessly divisive job trying. Maybe there are clearer, more practical reasons for a lot of white people in indie rock beyond nebulous buzzwords like “microaggresions” or “sanctioned participation,” and some of those reasons may well be rooted in legacies of racism. Maybe other socioeconomic factors exert a strong causal effect on development of musical interest and aptitude. If children of color are more likely than whites to attend schools with gutted music programs and if a higher share have trouble finding safe creative space to practice in the confines of broken neighborhoods, that’s legit. That’s tangible, something potentially quantifiable and well worth investigating, something I think a lot of people would absorb with passionate interest and want to help change. You could have ultimately written an inspiring article about how we as human beings can foster musical aptitude and appreciation — the roots of musical success — in ALL people, because music is such a powerful force for good in the world.

But you didn’t do that. You wrote an mean-spirited article in the mold of so many “pressing issue” pieces today: Two pages of doomsaying and shaming, then a feeble conclusion that ends with something along the lines of “more must be done to address climate change”

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Have we seen Kirschen have his meltdown yet?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Have we seen Kirschen have his meltdown yet?
Just bog standard "Obama hates Israel poo poo."

Not really a meltdown. Not like his weird cuckoos in our nest poo poo.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so it was done and I missed it? How far back?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

If you're referring to the Iran deal, he hasn't commented yet. It's been mostly old-man Passover jokes since last week.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, so it was done and I missed it? How far back?
Timeline: the Gaza slaughter happened last July 2014, and then Kirschen had a miniature stroke sometime in September 2014, and shortly after that he made this set of six "playing cards":

I compiled them into one image for last year's Gay Abortions, and now it's the cartoon for Kirschen in the OP. I'm proud to have helped out in some small way.:shobon:

E:

colonel_korn posted:

If you're referring to the Iran deal, he hasn't commented yet. It's been mostly old-man Passover jokes since last week.
Yeah he hasn't said anything about the Iran deal, which is pretty weird given how everyone else (except Tinsley) has already had their say on the deal.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

fade5 posted:

Yeah he hasn't said anything about the Iran deal, which is pretty weird given how everyone else (except Tinsley) has already had their say on the deal.

Passover jokes are serious business mister :mad:

quote:

Happy Passover!
The munching continues!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

So, uh... what does that have to do with Liza Minnelli in a lobster costume??

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Don't Iranian Jews have protected seats in the Iranian legislature?

Iran's relationship with Judaism is pretty complex, but yeah. While they've faced plenty of discrimination, especially in the post revolution years, it wasn't particularly more intense than anybody else that wasn't a Shiite. Iran's big religious bugaboo is anything considered apostasy or Islamic heresy. So Baha'i, certain Sufi sects, Sunnis on a bad day. Israel is fairly despised, but not for the reason it's despised in the Sunni world. Israel is seen as a puppet of the USA (although recent diplomatic events in recent years are changing the average Iranians view on that) and so gets lumped in with them. I think the majority view of the clerical establishment is advocating for a one-state solution in Israel. Some of the more extreme ones want the Russian immigrants deported. And while most Middle Eastern Jewish communities broke ties with their country of origin, Parsim maintain pretty strong ties with Iran. The community within Iran is pretty tiny, although still the largest in the ME outside Israel itself. Doesn't help that actually counting them is a pain in the rear end because half of them don't list "jew" on the census due to a few factors. Avoiding discrimination, die hard Iranian nationalism (think people listing "American" as their ethnicity), and because they tend to be wealthy and connected a lot of them "convert" so they can enter politics.

In realpolitik terms Iran is pretty much a de facto ally of Israel half the time anyway. Their interests overlap too often for it to be any different. If it ever becomes a more official thing Iran will probably become a big Jewish tourist destination because it has a metric poo poo ton of Jewish archaeological and pilgrimage sites because there was a time where Persia was close to 25% Jewish, and had the majority of the worlds Jewish population.

e: Have a cartoon with that dumb wall of text:

Regarding the Arab intervention in Yemen.

e2: Have a couple more:

Americans fat. EDIT: apparently actually from cuba, not Iran. Have it anyways.

A bird. Or something.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Muir did two versions of his latest cartoon. Choose your favorite.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Muir did two versions of his latest cartoon. Choose your favorite.

Wait, so Damon is building THEIR club, not HIS club? Wasn't it his idea in the first place to open a private male-only sanctuary?
I mean, yeah, he's just Zed's handpuppet in blackface, but still.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

You heard him...let's win some poo poo!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the_steve posted:

Wait, so Damon is building THEIR club, not HIS club? Wasn't it his idea in the first place to open a private male-only sanctuary?
I mean, yeah, he's just Zed's handpuppet in blackface, but still.

He's gonna be Zed's handpuppet alright

In the gently caress barn

Look at that background, there is literally nothing around it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Despite their best efforts, Iran can only chase the atomic bunny but never catch it. A Ramirez sucks at metaphor cartoon.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HOW CAN A MAN WITH TWO PULITZERS BE THIS BAD AT METAPHORS

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

.Edward Penischin posted:

I think we get enough of his poo poo already.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

"Excuse me sir? Aren't the dogs stuck in a futile chase for the mechanical hare which they will actually never be able to reach?"

Also what the gently caress did you just say "gently caress it" when you got to the track portion? :geno:

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

The cartoonist does not know how grayhound racing works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's not only that he doesn't know how the rabbit works, he clearly doesn't even know what it is for in the most fundamental sense.

edit: or does he believe the illuminati or someone is dangling fake nuclear weapon technology in front of these countries as incentives for them to do something else?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 7, 2015

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Catching up on the thread, Did Kirschen said anything about the haggadah book he was heavily promoting a while back?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're too charitable. The article was a complete mess of half-thoughts and pretensions. Even more so than usual Pitchfork, I mean.

http://ripfork.com/2015/03/response-to-the-unbearable-whiteness-of-indie-by-sarah-sahim/

No, I've just been involved in social justice stuff too long to really get all that worked up by the many, many pop piece that come out about it. An article about race in inde music put out by Pitchfork? Pretty much knew what was coming was going to be a formulaic piece that opens with an 'I enjoy this but must now express my disappointment and criticize it', then 2-3 examples supporting the thesis of the piece, and all of it linked together by a summation of one or several theories that anyone not familiar with social justice advocacy over the last five years or so is going to feel alienated by. I've seen those kinds of articles done well, but this one is definitely a bad one and makes me want to act like a parent admonishing a child to do better next time. "It's now why you did it, it's how you did little Timmy."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

there wolf posted:

No, I've just been involved in social justice stuff too long to really get all that worked up by the many, many pop piece that come out about it. An article about race in inde music put out by Pitchfork? Pretty much knew what was coming was going to be a formulaic piece that opens with an 'I enjoy this but must now express my disappointment and criticize it', then 2-3 examples supporting the thesis of the piece, and all of it linked together by a summation of one or several theories that anyone not familiar with social justice advocacy over the last five years or so is going to feel alienated by. I've seen those kinds of articles done well, but this one is definitely a bad one and makes me want to act like a parent admonishing a child to do better next time. "It's now why you did it, it's how you did little Timmy."
I used to think that internet social justice activism was an ok thing to be into, but then I realized that articles like that one (and I presume what is a response to as well) are what people think of when they think of that, and that's just the way things are. I have learned my lesson.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Damon's of Finland

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The Droid posted:

Requesting "women in combat means babies in combat" cartoon with the pink ribbon and the fetus wearing the american flag

I think I posted this the last time too but nobody else indulged you so here it is:

Here's a few more from the pits of the past:

JR Rose! does his thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Barnfuckers LLC

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The cartoonist does not know how grayhound racing works.

He also apparently doesn't know what a greyhound is...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I used to think that internet social justice activism was an ok thing to be into, but then I realized that articles like that one (and I presume what is a response to as well) are what people think of when they think of that, and that's just the way things are. I have learned my lesson.

I should probably respond with something noble about remaining optimistic in the face of misrepresentation and fighting the good fight but I mostly stay in for the opportunities to troll bigots.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

there wolf posted:

I should probably respond with something noble about remaining optimistic in the face of misrepresentation and fighting the good fight but I mostly stay in for the opportunities to troll bigots.
The thing is, I certainly don't think social justice is a lost cause, but I definitely think that this method of arguing it is. It's insufferable to read for almost anyone.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 7, 2015

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

there wolf posted:

He also apparently doesn't know what a greyhound is...

With how Ramirez does stretched proportions on heads it is very likely that the dogs on the track are in fact pugs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

"What are some Middle-Easty countries besides Iran? There's Saudi Arabia........

Egypt I guess.

Qatar?

gently caress it, I'll just put the last dog in the background."

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Air is lava! posted:

Is that a legitimate concern in America? Are your wastewater treatment plants that bad? I've heard you can't drink tap water either. So what do you scrub your churches with? Thawed ice cubes imported from the arctic ocean?
Usually I like Two Bull but this seems just kind of weird. I would understand it if he told me that he has a problem with artifical snow and teraforming in general. But complaining that this water was in the treatment cycle before, seems ridiculous. And of course keeping the water in the taps is cheaper than using it to make snow, but then they wouldn't have any snow. That's such a pointless statement. "Why do you keep using this elevator? Cutting off the power would be so much cheaper."

I don't actually know why this cartoon annoys me such much. I guess I expected better. :sigh:
But do native American groups actually share that exact concern? I can't imagine they would prefer caught rainwater or something like that either.

It's more because we, in Arizona, are wasting time, energy and water, piping water to the top of the San Francisco Peaks for a loving ski resort, over you know, using it for something constructive. Also the mountains are really, really sacred to the Hopi, amongst other native groups here in Arizona.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CampingCarl posted:

With how Ramirez does stretched proportions on heads it is very likely that the dogs on the track are in fact pugs.

They look a lot like basset hounds actually.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tim Buckley is more deserving of the Pulitzer Prize than Ramirez.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Tim Buckley is more deserving of the Pulitzer Prize than Ramirez.

Again, I disagree. An incorrect Pulitzer is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for cartoonists to go through, speaking from anecdotal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the losers than on the winner. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed Ted Rall for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

xthetenth posted:

They look a lot like basset hounds actually.

Egypt is apparently a German Shepherd now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I don't think this got posted with the rest of the #ThisGeneration nonsense a few pages back.

What a complete cock this guy is.

• Locked thread