Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Apparently the new patch broke the prefab I've been working on and off for a couple of months. All the rotations of the blocks are messed up and the thing won't even load fully when I try to insert it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So one problem I have is that the server browser never accurately reports the server time. I always seem to join a server like 10 minutes before nightfall and it's a pain to sit and wait for it to pass offline (and I feel like I'm cheating) but it feels impossible to survive at night without a full day to find a house or at least build some kind of treehouse or something first. Any suggestions?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, gently caress dogs.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Man, gently caress dogs.

I tried to get my place ready for day seven by putting wood spikes four rows deep and while I was doing that, five dogs spawned and took out about 30-40 spikes and still killed me. While I was chopping wood, a horde spawned headed right for me, and later another spawned while I was refreshing my spikes again. In the end the real 7 day horde was easy but the intermittent random ones come 3-ish times a day. Half of what I did in the last 3 days was just set and replace wood spikes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

redreader posted:

I tried to get my place ready for day seven by putting wood spikes four rows deep and while I was doing that, five dogs spawned and took out about 30-40 spikes and still killed me. While I was chopping wood, a horde spawned headed right for me, and later another spawned while I was refreshing my spikes again. In the end the real 7 day horde was easy but the intermittent random ones come 3-ish times a day. Half of what I did in the last 3 days was just set and replace wood spikes.

Use upgraded trunk tips, those don't wear out. Not as powerful, and way more expensive, but they're the way to go.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

redreader posted:

Get some log spikes instead for base defense. However, wood spikes are weirdly useful early-game for offense. Always carry a stack of them and lay them down in front of you and watch dogs charge through them. It's a safe way to kill them without risking certain death.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think I still need a book to be able to use those. I also can't make repair tools. I think I need a home improvement book or something.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Man, some of these loving bugs..

I'm exploiting the poo poo out of how zombies won't drop more than 3 blocks deep without some sort of angle to catch on, digging a massive trench/breastworks around my little fort so the only safe way is across a thin bridge they usually shove eachother off into the spikes below. This has been going -great- for a few 7 days in a row, zero breaches and easy kills.

This time the game didn't even -try- to play fair: 7 day horde comes, walks -straight- through an undamaged door, kills everyone inside. Because they glitched through the door as if it wasn't there, its still up after everyone is dead, so they have no way out, so they start smashing everything, namely everyone's bedrolls, backpacks, and the storage chests before starting to tunnel down to the trench and back out (digging up the breastworks in the process)

We respawn on the hill around this fort and start trying to crossbow snipe our way back in, retake the fort and fix the tremendous amount of damage the horde did. NOPE. Three more waves of that 7 day horde showed up around then, including a wave of just the new feral superzombie and vomitcops. I went into the console at this point and it was showing another 180 zombies waiting to spawn in the next upcoming waves. At this point we gave up, admitted defeat, and restarted the server to cut off the spawning mechanism.

Getting back in to try and recover it was as if the server had simply said "All of these nice things you have? All that effort? No. No, you can't have them. They're too nice for you and I'm taking them away."

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Airlocks help with that. You want to make two or three doors staggered so the zombies can't just walk in a straight line as there are weird angles that seem to ignore collision on sub-blocks like doors, windows and iron bars.

I build entranceways that are two or four blocks wide with iron bars looking into the airlock "chamber" so you can shoot any unwelcome guests.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We're about halfway to being able to recreate early dwarf fortress builds as bases. All we need now is drawbridges.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
And lava pumps.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Single player random, and so far I followed a road to a 5-way fork, followed a fork to a 5-way fork, followed that to a 5-way fork. Only thing I've found so far is a burned little town, and I've been sleeping in holes. :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This game sure doe love its 5 way intersections.

I made a trek in my single player game down the road, and in one trip found potoato seeds, forge book, and a town to settle in.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I wish. I just followed the last path in one area, and it lead to... another 5-er.

Getting tired of holes and full inventory.

edit: also, can't seem to see the loving package drop from those planes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know about the whole heat map thing, but it seems like hordes just love to appear in the distance, heading right in your direction. If you're inside a house they often just walk past but if you make a noise or take your food out of storage even for 1 second they'll attack your house. If you're travelling you'll never see them unless they spawn in your path. If you're chopping wood near your house and you see them, just run a bit further then go back home and they'll totally pass you by. It's a bit dumb and makes the game feel more gamey that they're not random.

I don't *think* they pass through towns specifically, but I always settle in one so it sort of feels like 'oh they're just walking along the road more or less, this feels natural'. I suppose I'd have a better idea if I settled in a self-built fort somewhere.

edit: ^^^^ Random loving sucks. It's all roads and no poi's. I do find one kind of poi though: it's the deersville(?) style town. That town again and again. No other poi's. You may have to run for a day or more to find one though!

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 6, 2015

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

glug posted:

I wish. I just followed the last path in one area, and it lead to... another 5-er.

Getting tired of holes and full inventory.

edit: also, can't seem to see the loving package drop from those planes.

I'm about to try this fix mentioned on the official forums. Also the post under that says those constant intersections are a bug and will be fixed in the next patch, in the meantime you can edit one of the xml files to increase the chances of a POI spawning.

I've also had the phantom packages (and planes too!) thing.

redreader posted:

I don't know about the whole heat map thing, but it seems like hordes just love to appear in the distance, heading right in your direction. If you're inside a house they often just walk past but if you make a noise or take your food out of storage even for 1 second they'll attack your house. If you're travelling you'll never see them unless they spawn in your path. If you're chopping wood near your house and you see them, just run a bit further then go back home and they'll totally pass you by. It's a bit dumb and makes the game feel more gamey that they're not random.

I don't *think* they pass through towns specifically, but I always settle in one so it sort of feels like 'oh they're just walking along the road more or less, this feels natural'. I suppose I'd have a better idea if I settled in a self-built fort somewhere.

edit: ^^^^ Random loving sucks. It's all roads and no poi's. I do find one kind of poi though: it's the deersville(?) style town. That town again and again. No other poi's. You may have to run for a day or more to find one though!

The hordes always spawn headed in your general direction. It is fakey as hell but until (or if they ever) decide to have zombies detect you far off in other ways, it'll stay.

Also, the "make one tiny noise and they notice you while you're inside a house" is totally a thing that has been around since at least last summer. When there is a horde outside, even if you're crouched, they can still hear you if you interact with something like a chest or a forge. Best thing to do is to just not gently caress with anything while you know they're passing by. My personal favorite is crouching in the corner of an attic and having a zombie detect me, I always forget the safest thing to do is sit in the middle of the room/floor if at all possible.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

glug posted:

Single player random, and so far I followed a road to a 5-way fork, followed a fork to a 5-way fork, followed that to a 5-way fork. Only thing I've found so far is a burned little town, and I've been sleeping in holes. :(

Did you try heading to coordinate 1,1?

There is always a hub city at that coordinate.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm starting to think that random-gen is actually kinda bad for multiplayer in terms of game design. The game spawns the players around a city, and the first thing anyone does is loot it. People then fan out across the map, looking for new towns and stuff to loot from, causing everyone to basically end up in a secluded base somewhere, making loot runs even further into the unknown. No one really comes across anyone unless they're specifically looking for trouble or scouting, and there is basically no risk involved in any looting or base development.

Although it's inferior in just about every way, DayZ (the mod) got the whole high-risk-high-reward looting gameplay right. You could scrounge up gear in the countryside, or you could take a huge risk and go for a loot run in one of the bigger towns or airports. It also made sure players had to engage in PvP regardless of whether they wanted to or not. Then again, the only progress in DayZ is getting better shoot guns and putting on better camo. Not to mention it's a loving joke of a game.

But anyway, that's the way I'd like the world in 7dtd designed. You start off in the boonies, looking for some basic gear and stuff, then you graduate to looting smaller towns, then you build a base of operations and work on that for a while. Then, when you're basically armed to the teeth and wearing a full set of armor, you could start to entertain the idea of heading into a full-blown city. And when you head into one, it should be a chaotic and extremely dangerous experience. And the loot should be worth the risk.

You could also substitute the city with a dungeonesque military bunker or something. Point is, I'd like the game to put people apart at first, then push them into the same place when they want to progress. But asking random-gem to be like that is kinda silly, considering the whole point is that the world is infinite. I haven't tried Navezgane in multiplayer yet, so I don't know if that would be more my style. All the servers I've played on have been running random-gen maps.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Most servers are configured to have impassable radiation wasteland at X,000 for that very reason. Goonfort is at 8k in each direction I think.

Over time you start to get a feel for the world when you are confined like that but still have a lot of space to roam around with interesting places to find. The best city is usually the one at 0,0 so people come and go from there a lot.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Well the devs did plan to have a bit of progression from caveman to scifi, with enemies and threats in the same range. Once they start putting in the mad max raiders and post apocalypse cyborg stuff in there will probably be a big reason not to run straight into "rich" areas, since they'll have murderbots and murderbikers.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Well the devs did plan to have a bit of progression from caveman to scifi, with enemies and threats in the same range. Once they start putting in the mad max raiders and post apocalypse cyborg stuff in there will probably be a big reason not to run straight into "rich" areas, since they'll have murderbots and murderbikers.

That's nice to hear. I feel like Alpha 11 is great, but I don't want to burn myself out on the game so I'll hold off until the game is closer to finished. Kinda sucks because I sort of want to keep playing.

Anyway, it kind of feels like the current cities are a bit unfinished. They're really easy to run through and loot, even if you're completely naked. I feel like they should be way bigger, and absolutely teeming with zombies (maybe the running type) and that they should be harder to navigate. That, or create a separate "downtown" biome that has taller, bigger buildings that are more closely connected to each other. I think it'd be more interesting if cities were more like mazes in terms of navigation, though I'd imagine that'd be very hard to set up in random-gem. Anyway, that'd make any loot-run into a city more of an expedition instead of just "ok I'll run through and look for bookstores because I need forge ahead"

It'd also be cool if you could navigate cities by moving from rooftop to rooftop. And if cities were actually dangerous, that would actually be a slower but safer way to travel in them. It'd be even cooler to have like a player-made town on top of a bunch of skyscrapers, connected with bridges and stuff. There's a settlement in the Fallout universe that is basically like that.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Denver

edit: in hindsight, this post is kind of just pointless ideas-guying so sorry about that

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Minorkos posted:

I'm starting to think that random-gen is actually kinda bad for multiplayer in terms of game design. The game spawns the players around a city, and the first thing anyone does is loot it. People then fan out across the map, looking for new towns and stuff to loot from, causing everyone to basically end up in a secluded base somewhere, making loot runs even further into the unknown. No one really comes across anyone unless they're specifically looking for trouble or scouting, and there is basically no risk involved in any looting or base development.

Although it's inferior in just about every way, DayZ (the mod) got the whole high-risk-high-reward looting gameplay right. You could scrounge up gear in the countryside, or you could take a huge risk and go for a loot run in one of the bigger towns or airports. It also made sure players had to engage in PvP regardless of whether they wanted to or not. Then again, the only progress in DayZ is getting better shoot guns and putting on better camo. Not to mention it's a loving joke of a game.

But anyway, that's the way I'd like the world in 7dtd designed. You start off in the boonies, looking for some basic gear and stuff, then you graduate to looting smaller towns, then you build a base of operations and work on that for a while. Then, when you're basically armed to the teeth and wearing a full set of armor, you could start to entertain the idea of heading into a full-blown city. And when you head into one, it should be a chaotic and extremely dangerous experience. And the loot should be worth the risk.

You could also substitute the city with a dungeonesque military bunker or something. Point is, I'd like the game to put people apart at first, then push them into the same place when they want to progress. But asking random-gem to be like that is kinda silly, considering the whole point is that the world is infinite. I haven't tried Navezgane in multiplayer yet, so I don't know if that would be more my style. All the servers I've played on have been running random-gen maps.

I think there are a couple of factors that makes it seem safer than it is.

Day Z pretty much requires immediate confrontation with other players. You need medical supplies from the major cities as well as general goods; and you need to raid military bases for good weapons. There are 2 and 1 of those things on the basic Day Z map, respectively, and everybody knows the map, so they b-line for those things. Also at play is a fundamental difference in attitude in both games. PvP in 7dtd is pretty much an afterthought. I don't think I've ever had somebody attack me on a server and most servers freak out if you randomly attack another person. In contrast not being a murderhobo makes you the weirdo in Day Z and the only game more aggressive I've ever seen is Rust.

You can't patch the game's attitude but you can try to make the confrontations sweeter. I think when the game starts the main city and a couple of POIs should be added to everybody's map, even if it's just patch of yellow and green on your otherwise unfinished map. I also think random gen should push you to the limited map size erring on the smaller size. I think there should be a lot more POIs and it would be neat if you could find maps or books that would add POIs to the player map when used. Locational dominance is about the only thing that encourages conflict in these games other than natural human psychosis.

Also for the record the 0,0 city has hosed my poo poo up pretty much every time I've gone there. Hornets in particular.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Also for the record the 0,0 city has hosed my poo poo up pretty much every time I've gone there. Hornets in particular.

Yeah just remembered that this game has varying difficulty, and the server I've been playing on has always used difficulty 3 with walking zombies. But in my experience the 0,0 city has been really easy to get around. Sometimes you need to juke some dogs, but otherwise it's pretty easy to run through. Maybe I should find a new server. I'd play on the goon one but I don't like high ping (i'm euro)

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

redreader posted:

I've done a fair bit of testing with how this function works actually, once I figured out that trenches essentially declare an area impassible to the zombie's pathfinding. Any time the game spawns a wandering horde, it picks a starting spot at random in a circle around you, and then draws a ray that runs as close to you as it can without intersecting impassible terrain or making perpendicular collisions with walls. Once it has a valid ray, it sets that as the hordes path, with starting and stopping points at each end. With a bit of experimenting I've found that perimeter trenches (And multi-faced perimeter walls) further out from your position can keep those rays from coming anywhere near you, allowing you to work at night without being sensed by anything passing. 7 day hordes work similarly, but auto-sense and reroute no matter what.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Why the hell do I have an undeleteable creative game named andy.keener29, which is also the default name for any game I want to create who is this man go away.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Oh god who the gently caress thought dog packs were remotely a good idea. One or two dogs were bad enough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alaan posted:

Oh god who the gently caress thought dog packs were remotely a good idea. One or two dogs were bad enough.
Get some wood spikes (not log spikes, wood spikes, the fragile ones), and throw them in front of you when you're about to get charged by dogs.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

Alaan posted:

In my experience it's still very easy to fight them by strafing about at spastic 90' angles. Aim for the head with anything but your fists, and you very well should come out on top.

Alternatively I smack them with a torch and run like a bitch.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Shame people aren't on as much these days. I still like the game for being a bit different. I still recall doing a 2 man game with my buddy where we made a hovel out of reinforced scrap iron walls next to a lake. We were able to hold that indefinitely.

I do see the server in question, do we have anything else set up since the OP is out of date? Mumble? Steam group?

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Shame people aren't on as much these days. I still like the game for being a bit different. I still recall doing a 2 man game with my buddy where we made a hovel out of reinforced scrap iron walls next to a lake. We were able to hold that indefinitely.

I do see the server in question, do we have anything else setup since the OP is out of date? Mumble? Steam group?

Yeah it's hard that servers are so sporadically populated. If the game could easily support more people on one server you'd probably see larger, centralized servers with higher populations.

The Seattle Local server seems pretty consistently active fwiw.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah it's hard that servers are so sporadically populated. If the game could easily support more people on one server you'd probably see larger, centralized servers with higher populations.

The Seattle Local server seems pretty consistently active fwiw.

I noticed, but I'm going to dick around the goon server for a while if you or any others feel like roughing it in the woods.

Though goodness the new weather engine is nice. I'm in a dense fog at night. It's creepy as poo poo to be crawling through the brush and seeing shapes run in the fog.

I do notice that melee is a bit more dangerous. But stealth seems to work a lot more in your favor. I actually got snuck pretty far into town, filling my backpack before a dog finally found me.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So random gen is kind of a loving mess right now, which sucks. The POI gen engine had a bug where if two intersect, it kills the bigger town/city, so that's loads of fun.

I'll keep this map up until the game settles down on 11.4 or 5 then probably switch it back to Navezgane or something. Chances are the map won't last much past 11.3 the rate TFP like to gently caress up things.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Dog zombies could really use reduced hp. They are about as tough as any other zombie but have speed, attack rate, and a smorgasbord of debuffs to throw at you. Bleeding and infected are both often a death sentence early in the game, let alone getting both from one bite. They would still be the most dangerous enemy in the game with half the hp from their speed alone.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also notice the burn victims are now smoldering and have creepy glowing eyes that scared me into thinking it was something worse when I turned around and saw two sets of them in the thick fog lurching towards me. The new look is a really nice improvement.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So random gen is kind of a loving mess right now, which sucks. The POI gen engine had a bug where if two intersect, it kills the bigger town/city, so that's loads of fun.

I'll keep this map up until the game settles down on 11.4 or 5 then probably switch it back to Navezgane or something. Chances are the map won't last much past 11.3 the rate TFP like to gently caress up things.

Bruteman linked this earlier:
https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25132-Where-are-the-Random-gen-options-xml&p=230950#post230950

Second post is from a dev:

Just so everyone knows, the towns had a measurement issue. Causing all town blocks to get culled from the town instead of just ones near a biome edge, leaving nothing but an intersection. I have fixed the bug so it will work correctly in the next patch.

In the meantime everyone can replace the property below for all "town" hubs in their rwgmixer.xml as a temp fix. Mileage may vary, depends on where the biome center is in relation to the edges. Some may still get culled, but plenty more towns should show up.

<property name="MaxCityBlockSizeInMeters" value="206,206" />

This seems to work for me, and the file is in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\7 Days to Die\Data\Config\rwgmixer.xml

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

glug posted:

Bruteman linked this earlier:
https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25132-Where-are-the-Random-gen-options-xml&p=230950#post230950

Second post is from a dev:

Just so everyone knows, the towns had a measurement issue. Causing all town blocks to get culled from the town instead of just ones near a biome edge, leaving nothing but an intersection. I have fixed the bug so it will work correctly in the next patch.

In the meantime everyone can replace the property below for all "town" hubs in their rwgmixer.xml as a temp fix. Mileage may vary, depends on where the biome center is in relation to the edges. Some may still get culled, but plenty more towns should show up.

<property name="MaxCityBlockSizeInMeters" value="206,206" />

This seems to work for me, and the file is in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\7 Days to Die\Data\Config\rwgmixer.xml

Yep, meant to reply earlier and say that after an hour or two playing with those changes last night, I can confirm that POIs were popping up at a more frequent rate. Sucks that they're not hotfixing it but it took like one minute to find the file and make the changes.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 7, 2015

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Did you guys have to start a new world for these changes to take effect? Or is there a way of getting them into an existing world?

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

Loten posted:

Did you guys have to start a new world for these changes to take effect? Or is there a way of getting them into an existing world?

You pretty much are required to start a new world to see most of the changes.

NofunPimps posted:

This update has some big framework changes so starting a new game is a must. Please don’t try to salvage your old saved game.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think he's asking about the POI tweek, not the A11 overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Loten posted:

I started a new world to test the POI tweaks. Theoretically it would work on an existing world, but you'd have to explore places that are being newly generated for the new POI rules to work, it won't generate stuff in a place you've already uncovered.