Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Obdicut posted:

So you don't think racial prejudice was a major reason that black performers weren't allowed to play for white audiences, that it wasn't considered decent for white people to listen to black music but instead listened to white versions of black music? It was all just protectionism and the racial element was purely coincidental?

You're going to have to help me here. What does "the racial element" have to do with "culture" as the word is used in the phrase "cultural appropriation." In the context of "cultural appropriation," culture means, to me, things like the art, iconography, adornment, costumes, religious and spiritual practices and so forth of a group of people. It seems to me that you think culture encompasses any element of a society whatsoever, including economic systems, racial and ethnic divisions, legal codes...

dogcrash truther fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

dogcrash truther posted:

You're going to have to help me here. What does "the racial element" have to do with "culture" as the word is used in the phrase "cultural appropriation." In the context of "cultural appropriation," culture means, to me, things like the art, iconography, adornment, costumes, religious and spiritual practices and so forth of a group of people. It seems to me that you think culture encompasses any element of a society whatsoever, including economic systems, racial and ethnic divisions, legal codes...

Okay. So you don't think that a belief that black people are inferior to white people was a cultural belief?

What sort of belief was it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Obdicut posted:

Okay. So you don't think that a belief that black people are inferior to white people was a cultural belief?

What sort of belief was it?

A racist one.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

A racist one.

Sure, but it's also part of the culture. How else would you describe it?

But yeah, this is probably the disconnect, in that culture is usually described as "that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society." or as the modes of thought and modes of action that are required of a member of society to be accepted in that society and function within it.

If you're not going to call beliefs about race 'culture', what are they? What is a belief that capitalism is a morally good system--it's not an 'economic' belief, it's a belief about economics. What about the belief that women should stay at home and men should work? It's a sexist belief, but it's a cultural belief.

If you define culture so as to leave out all customs, beliefs, and attitudes having to do with race, then sure, calling it 'cultural appropriation' is weird, but why would you do that? Why just limit it to the artistic stuff?

Edit:

Oh gently caress, dogcatcher is this really just because the 'culture' that's being appropriated tends to be of the artistic stuff? Is that the confusion?

In that case, isn't this obvious why it's 'cultural appropriation'? Because elements that you agree are part of a culture--the art, music, etc--are being appropriated. This is the name for that. So... I guess i really, really don't get how, if you limit your definition to culture being mostly art, how cultural appropriation wouldn't be a really obviously apt term for when artistic practices, religious customs, etc. get appropriated. Or are we back to "That's a good thing if it creates good art"?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They're individual beliefs, Obdicut. They might be widespread in a society, but they're still held by individuals for individual reasons.

That they are individual beliefs does not invalidate that they are part of a culture, though, and I have no clue why you'd think it would. Can you explain?

For example, religious beliefs are individual, but we can still describe the beliefs of a group of individuals together, right?

And the beliefs about racial differences in the US led to actual structural differences in our society, visible structural differences. It resulted in entire groups of people treating other groups differently.

If you want to define 'culture' so as to exclude beliefs about race and just make it mean stuff about art, sure, but then what are you going to call beliefs about race, about class, about justice, about gender?

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 3, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They're individual beliefs, Obdicut. They might be widespread in a society, but they're still held by individuals for individual reasons.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Obdicut posted:

Sure, but it's also part of the culture. How else would you describe it?

But yeah, this is probably the disconnect, in that culture is usually described as "that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society." or as the modes of thought and modes of action that are required of a member of society to be accepted in that society and function within it.

That's definitely a workable definition of "culture" for a general-purpose conversation, but in my understanding, it's not the definition that's in play when discussing "cultural appropriation," which focuses on members of one group imitating the art, iconography, clothes, or rituals of another group. As an analytic tool, your definition of culture is so broad that it's not particularly useful.

Obdicut posted:

If you're not going to call beliefs about race 'culture', what are they? What is a belief that capitalism is a morally good system--it's not an 'economic' belief, it's a belief about economics. What about the belief that women should stay at home and men should work? It's a sexist belief, but it's a cultural belief.

If you define culture so as to leave out all customs, beliefs, and attitudes having to do with race, then sure, calling it 'cultural appropriation' is weird, but why would you do that? Why just limit it to the artistic stuff?

When you talk about white Americans, say, "appropriating" black culture, you're not talking about them imitating beliefs or attitudes. You're talking about them imitating music, art, ways of dressing etc. In fact, if anything it seems like it's easier to argue that it was black culture that adopted white "beliefs and attitudes," but I don't think anyone would call that cultural appropriation.

Obdicut posted:

Edit:

Oh gently caress, dogcatcher is this really just because the 'culture' that's being appropriated tends to be of the artistic stuff? Is that the confusion?

In that case, isn't this obvious why it's 'cultural appropriation'? Because elements that you agree are part of a culture--the art, music, etc--are being appropriated. This is the name for that. So... I guess i really, really don't get how, if you limit your definition to culture being mostly art, how cultural appropriation wouldn't be a really obviously apt term for when artistic practices, religious customs, etc. get appropriated. Or are we back to "That's a good thing if it creates good art"?

Well yeah, cultural appropriation is (to me, anyway) obviously real, and obviously happening. But it seems like a sideshow; the problem isn't really that white people sing spirituals or wear dreadlocks or get a "tribal" tattoo or anything like that. If those things are a problem at all, it's in the way that they express and to some extent normalize oppression. They're symptomatic. They're not the disease.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

dogcrash truther posted:

That's definitely a workable definition of "culture" for a general-purpose conversation, but in my understanding, it's not the definition that's in play when discussing "cultural appropriation," which focuses on members of one group imitating the art, iconography, clothes, or rituals of another group. As an analytic tool, your definition of culture is so broad that it's not particularly useful.

But you're comparing two different things there. I don't get why. Yes, the 'culture' in cultural appropriation means that. So what?

quote:

When you talk about white Americans, say, "appropriating" black culture, you're not talking about them imitating beliefs or attitudes. You're talking about them imitating music, art, ways of dressing etc. In fact, if anything it seems like it's easier to argue that it was black culture that adopted white "beliefs and attitudes," but I don't think anyone would call that cultural appropriation.

So what?

quote:

Well yeah, cultural appropriation is (to me, anyway) obviously real, and obviously happening. But it seems like a sideshow; the problem isn't really that white people sing spirituals or wear dreadlocks or get a "tribal" tattoo or anything like that. If those things are a problem at all, it's in the way that they express and to some extent normalize oppression. They're symptomatic. They're not the disease.

Even if we completely grant this, that it's a symptom, so what? What does it matter that it's a 'symptom'?

Which I don't grant, as I've said before: it is both a symptom and it then becomes a cause of problems itself.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
His writing is really dense, but Raymond Williams wrote a lot on culture and the process of cultural change. This from Marxism and Literature seems relevant to the current conversation:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
There's actually no evidence it causes problems, one could easily just wave their hands and say it actually improves outcomes because it brings cultures closer together.

Gantolandon posted:

This is pretty much the main difference between a social justice activist and an angry Tumblr kid. The former can actually see the logical consequences of their beliefs and adjust them before they get ridiculous. The latter doesn't even understand what they preach and tries to compensate it with confidence and righteous anger. If you're ever wondering which type you are, remember this thread - the place where you ranted against racist black smoke and attempted a sick burn by criticizing language skills of a foreigner.

A Good post. It really does seem like a lot of the most strident people screaming about social justice only really do so because it gives them a way to internally justify being an rear end in a top hat to everyone else they don't like.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

His writing is really dense, but Raymond Williams wrote a lot on culture and the process of cultural change. This from Marxism and Literature seems relevant to the current conversation:

This was really interesting, thanks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dogcrash truther posted:

Sure, but symptoms themselves can be harmful. It's not like preventing cultural appropriation will fix oppression, but it's still worth preventing anyway.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

What's real leftism, then?

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of ohmigod brandon that Chinese or Mexican or whatever ideogram tattoo is racist you're triggering me

SedanChair posted:

Yes, let's educate ourselves about them, using means like that article.

For example, engaging in online sockpuppeting by appropriating the identity of marginalized group in the attempt to give more weight to lovely ideas. Like MRA types who pretend to be women in comments sections and on twitter. Or white engaged in digital blackface who play on "magic negro' style black stereotypes about the superior spiritual sensitivity or authenticity of people of color.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 3, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

For example, engaging in online sockpuppeting by appropriating the identity of marginalized group in the attempt to give more weight to lovely ideas. Like MRA types who pretend to be women in comments sections and on twitter. Or white engaged in digital blackface who play on "magic negro' style black stereotypes about the superior spiritual sensitivity or authenticity of people of color.

Haha no, those are terrible.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of ohmigod brandon that Chinese or Mexican or whatever ideogram tattoo is racist you're triggering me

All right, we've got the straight line here with "Heh, those, uh, I can't say the f-word can I, well those don't know poo poo about poo poo", and then the punchline right afterwards. This is a drat fine joke.

tsa posted:

There's actually no evidence it causes problems, one could easily just wave their hands and say it actually improves outcomes because it brings cultures closer together.

A Good post. It really does seem like a lot of the most strident people screaming about social justice only really do so because it gives them a way to internally justify being an rear end in a top hat to everyone else they don't like.

It really seems like most of the people who jump in to whine about whatever bit of liberalism is political correctness gone mad have no real ideology beyond hatred and contempt. For example, people whose standards of judgement are only ever the ones they think the people arguing with them have, like Gantolandon, and apparently yourself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
People seem determined to bring this back to white people getting Chinese tattoos.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Boy, that no context image of a tumblr sure has changed my views. Even though I have no evidence, I'm sure it's not just an anti SJW fakepost from an 8chan idiot.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Sedan Chair confirmed as a /pol 5th columnist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is a pretty solid burn on the Roman Empire I've got to say.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Haha no, those are terrible.

I agree, anyone engaging in that sort of behavior is terrible and probably a racist and deserves to be called out for the problematic behavior :colbert:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

I agree, anyone engaging in that sort of behavior is terrible and probably a racist and deserves to be called out for the problematic behavior :colbert:

I'm not sure what this is about, but it makes me think of this:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

7c Nickel posted:

Boy, that no context image of a tumblr sure has changed my views. Even though I have no evidence, I'm sure it's not just an anti SJW fakepost from an 8chan idiot.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
I was reading that learning another language is cultural appropriation. Is that true?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

I was reading that learning another language is cultural appropriation. Is that true?

if you then went on to pretend that you had invented the language and dictated to its original speakers what did and did not entail proper grammar in that language, then yes

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
On the whole engagement ring discussion, I don't think the practice has become totally pointless yet as some have theorized. I and most of my female friends would indeed desire an engagement ring because in our society women still have the most to lose from a relationship. Social implications like "used goods," etc aside, being in a long term relationship has economic costs for a woman. Basically, the fact that women tend to make less means it makes more sense to put all your eggs in the dude's career basket, leading to a vicious cycle where the male partner starts to make more and more than the female partner. That's the real cost to the woman if the relationship goes south. I know that I have given up some career opportunities in order to stay in the same locality so that my boyfriend can continue to advance in his own career. If he can't cough up a measly ring I can show my parents, colleagues, and friends if we get engaged, I'll feel humiliated. In other words, I'll end up giving up tens of thousands of dollars on his behalf. He should show how serious he is by tossing out a few thou to the altar of the diamond God or whatever.

I don't think most women can or will articulate it that way, but there is a sense that the dude has to provide a real and material sacrifice to show that he means business. In that regard, not too much has changed, and not much will until women earn as much as men AND men's careers are equally likely to take a back seat.

Anecdote - my sister had a POS bum of a boyfriend who would ask her to marry him every time they had a fight. They broke up after maybe 2 years of lovely dating. Maybe if he had coughed up a ring...well, he'd have to have a steady job first. Which brings me back to that ring thing.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

All right, we've got the straight line here with "Heh, those, uh, I can't say the f-word can I, well those don't know poo poo about poo poo", and then the punchline right afterwards. This is a drat fine joke.

It really seems like most of the people who jump in to whine about whatever bit of liberalism is political correctness gone mad have no real ideology beyond hatred and contempt. For example, people whose standards of judgement are only ever the ones they think the people arguing with them have, like Gantolandon, and apparently yourself.

There is a lot of projecting here, given that you keep claiming I accused you of racism, instead of being a hypocrite.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

There is a lot of projecting here, given that you keep claiming I accused you of racism, instead of being a hypocrite.

You called everyone in here a racist if they didn't agree with you, implicitly, in this post.

Gantolandon posted:

That's pretty much SJW.txt - the notion that a guy whose grandparents immigrated to the States from Osaka, doesn't speak Japanese and has never been in Asia, somehow gets more right to decide who can use kanji than a person born and raised in Japan.

Granted, I know that you probably have a hard time figuring out that generalizations apply to specific people too, because like most people who whine at length about the SJW menace, your conception of racism is impoverished of ideas.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

You called everyone in here a racist if they didn't agree with you, implicitly, in this post.
:ironicat:

Is it wrong because he didn't do it explicitly like you do?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

:ironicat:

Is it wrong because he didn't do it explicitly like you do?

Would you mind quoting that, GBS?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

On the whole engagement ring discussion, I don't think the practice has become totally pointless yet as some have theorized. I and most of my female friends would indeed desire an engagement ring because in our society women still have the most to lose from a relationship. Social implications like "used goods," etc aside, being in a long term relationship has economic costs for a woman. Basically, the fact that women tend to make less means it makes more sense to put all your eggs in the dude's career basket, leading to a vicious cycle where the male partner starts to make more and more than the female partner. That's the real cost to the woman if the relationship goes south. I know that I have given up some career opportunities in order to stay in the same locality so that my boyfriend can continue to advance in his own career. If he can't cough up a measly ring I can show my parents, colleagues, and friends if we get engaged, I'll feel humiliated. In other words, I'll end up giving up tens of thousands of dollars on his behalf. He should show how serious he is by tossing out a few thou to the altar of the diamond God or whatever.

I don't think most women can or will articulate it that way, but there is a sense that the dude has to provide a real and material sacrifice to show that he means business. In that regard, not too much has changed, and not much will until women earn as much as men AND men's careers are equally likely to take a back seat.

Anecdote - my sister had a POS bum of a boyfriend who would ask her to marry him every time they had a fight. They broke up after maybe 2 years of lovely dating. Maybe if he had coughed up a ring...well, he'd have to have a steady job first. Which brings me back to that ring thing.

The problem is assuming that you will make less/have subordinate career goals to begin with. There's no reason for it, and even less reason to enshrine it in a slave ritual. If you want to marry somebody who isn't a loser that makes a lot of sense, but in that case taking a look at his books makes more sense than him going into debt for a ring (that's how rings are purchased now, totally destroying the value-demonstrating aspect of the ritual).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Xibanya posted:

Lol you want your partner to bleed himself economically just to show commitment? Also :psyduck: at "well my sister's relationship problems might have been fixed if her boyfriend had just gone into det for a loop or metal with a gem"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

These are amazing. Are there more?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

These are amazing. Are there more?

Not as of yet!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Welp we have solved it, cultural appropriation doesn't exist because somebody did an image.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Welp we have solved it, cultural appropriation doesn't exist because somebody did an image.

Falsch, mein freund. Cultural appropriation is extremely loving 「Good」.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It exists, it just doesn't matter.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

It exists, it just doesn't matter.

Yeah seriously screw those minorities for caring about things. They should just lie back, take it, and think of cesar chavez.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Maybe if native Americans weren't living in hopeless ghettos their culture wouldn't be threatened by hipsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

Maybe if native Americans weren't living in hopeless ghettos their culture wouldn't be threatened by hipsters?

People are talking about appropriation in the context of other oppression, not as if it's separate or worse.

I mean that's not really confusing, is it?

• Locked thread