Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Bad people are allowed to exist in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Edit:
Also, Hetty in Chapter 43 was pretty evil.

And whoever was responsible for the power station thing that was torturing Zimmy way back.

I'm pretty sure that's just plain the court. They sucked the ether out of the water and then shot it away, leaving the "rain" useless for making Zimmy feel better.

Zimmy is an aberration yet she is the representative of the natural order of things, and lets us know when things are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

Coyote is malicious and fun.

What's fun about him? Seriously in like a third of all Coyote stories in real life he's just a prick and a monster, I wouldn't expect the version made up of all those beliefs to be much better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost like he's a fictional character in a webcomic, and not a real life person.

You're right, we shouldn't like, dislike, or otherwise care about any characters in any media we consume. When Batman is fighting the Joker it would be stupid to hope Batman stops him from murdering those people on the boat, because it is a movie and the Joker isn't real.

When are these goons going to stop projecting and being so goony?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Well if you're going to go there, why are you getting annoyed at people for reacting to Anthony the way the story clearly wants them to react? People hated Snape, too, even if he had good reasons to do the stuff he did.

What makes you think I'm annoyed?

Lurdiak posted:

You're right, we shouldn't like, dislike, or otherwise care about any characters in any media we consume. When Batman is fighting the Joker it would be stupid to hope Batman stops him from murdering those people on the boat, because it is a movie and the Joker isn't real.

When are these goons going to stop projecting and being so goony?

Could you tone down the snark a little?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Boogaleeboo posted:

What's fun about him? Seriously in like a third of all Coyote stories in real life he's just a prick and a monster, I wouldn't expect the version made up of all those beliefs to be much better.

He tells interesting stories? Is good for a cuddle? Throws parties? Bestows gifts? Has a sense of humour? Is an interesting design to look at? Have you been reading this comic called Gunnerkrigg Court?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Boogaleeboo posted:

Are you reading the same comic I am?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, this chapter is named "The Tree," so we know that Kat is likely to end up comforting Annie under the tree she goes to when she can't handle things emotionally.
Or find Anthony there, venting where he thinks no one will see as subtly as he possibly can.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's such a good friend though. There there Ysengrim, dont let those pesky memories bother you. :3:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

While it doesn't make up for his absence these years I'm glad that Anthony is finally taking some responsibility for Antimony's life. He sees the bad effects that Antimony's complete lack of supervision has caused and has quickly worked to correct them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

He is very silly and makes me laugh

And then he steals his friend's memories and manipulates him into doing horrible things.

But in a fun way!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Coyote is fun in the same way your friend dragging you to the bars when you've got work in the morning is fun.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Annie needs to bravely default.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
It is highly unlikely, but one of the only ways for Coyote to gain control of Reynard is for Annie to willingly give up hers. And the only person she'd willingly submit to would be her father, or someone who appears to be her father.

Coyote can possess anyone without killing them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

He tells interesting stories? Is good for a cuddle? Throws parties? Bestows gifts? Has a sense of humour? Is an interesting design to look at? Have you been reading this comic called Gunnerkrigg Court?

Oh he's narratively compelling, but the ha ha joking around stuff? It's just a thing he does to distract you from the times he fucks with you in incredibly vicious ways. So when he does you just go "Oh, he's just Coyote.". Like you remember the first thing the forest did to Annie almost saw her dead, right? And he's nearly gotten her killed again since then. But it's cool because ha ha, what a trickster. You have an interest in Annie continuing to go to the forest because it's a story and it makes for good fiction, but anyone that knows what she has to deal with that doesn't try to stop her is seriously mentally deficient.

Coyote is a monster. A memory stealing bastard that sows chaos and discontent for no real reason. It's just what he is. He'll never change, and if you stay near him long enough you are going to get screwed over. Even when he's a folk hero that's still like every story that deals with him. Nobody should deal with that, especially not a child. Her mother was older and had more practice, and Coyote still messed around and got someone killed on her watch.

This is a horrific job she has that is going to end in nothing but tears, and it's absolutely for the best that she be nowhere near it. It doesn't make for as interesting a story, but it's probably best for Annie in the long run. Pity her father is the one telling her, that'll spoil the message in the end.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
Er, I don't think you "get" trickster gods.

Coyote doesn't trick people in order to make them wiser, but teaching people lessons through trickery is his purpose. (His motivation is having fun).

That's dangerous, but he's not the god of overprotective middle-class parents.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

It doesn't make for as interesting a story

I think that's the crux of the issue right there. Sure Coyote is an evil bastard, but he's an interesting one. Tony on the other hand, while also a bastard, commits the much worse sin of being boring. While realistically, he might be better for Annie in the long run (although that's quite debatable), if Tony and Coyote were to come into conflict I know who I'd be rooting for.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

It is highly unlikely, but one of the only ways for Coyote to gain control of Reynard is for Annie to willingly give up hers. And the only person she'd willingly submit to would be her father, or someone who appears to be her father.

Coyote can possess anyone without killing them.

Can he though? I thought when he gave up a power it was gone until he got it back, I may be misremembering here though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Er, I don't think you "get" trickster gods.

That's only a fraction of his stories. There's also the ones where he's basically just a dude and does heroic things. And then there are stories where he's the antagonist to other people's stories, and is just being a total prick. Possibly a stupid and violent one too, a lot of Coyote stories aren't that flattering to him. And the line between "wise trickster" and "vindictive prick" is thin enough at the best of times. If I knew I knew someone I cared about had to deal with a being with vast power made up of the beliefs of all Coyote stories? I'd be horrified.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Nettle Soup posted:

Can he though? I thought when he gave up a power it was gone until he got it back, I may be misremembering here though.

Yes! There is a story about Coyote learning what happens when you try to take back a gift.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dammerung posted:

Yes! There is a story about Coyote learning what happens when you try to take back a gift.

This story is great, because it includes the line "I just saw your rug running away."

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hypocrisy posted:

While it doesn't make up for his absence these years I'm glad that Anthony is finally taking some responsibility for Antimony's life. He sees the bad effects that Antimony's complete lack of supervision has caused and has quickly worked to correct them.

3 years of punishment in a single, easy to swallow, dose!

(mind the fake hand)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Oh he's narratively compelling, but the ha ha joking around stuff? It's just a thing he does to distract you from the times he fucks with you in incredibly vicious ways. So when he does you just go "Oh, he's just Coyote.". Like you remember the first thing the forest did to Annie almost saw her dead, right? And he's nearly gotten her killed again since then. But it's cool because ha ha, what a trickster. You have an interest in Annie continuing to go to the forest because it's a story and it makes for good fiction, but anyone that knows what she has to deal with that doesn't try to stop her is seriously mentally deficient.

Coyote is a monster. A memory stealing bastard that sows chaos and discontent for no real reason. It's just what he is. He'll never change, and if you stay near him long enough you are going to get screwed over. Even when he's a folk hero that's still like every story that deals with him. Nobody should deal with that, especially not a child. Her mother was older and had more practice, and Coyote still messed around and got someone killed on her watch.

This is a horrific job she has that is going to end in nothing but tears, and it's absolutely for the best that she be nowhere near it. It doesn't make for as interesting a story, but it's probably best for Annie in the long run. Pity her father is the one telling her, that'll spoil the message in the end.

Well, this is what the Headmaster of the Court thinks, I bet. He just pretends to be bored so as not to give Coyote any more leverage. All of Gunnerkrigg Court's stories seem to be foreshadowing an eventual Forest vs. Court conflict. I think that the Court's leaders plan to destroy and/or totally subjugate the Forest. They have peace because they can't deal with Coyote right now. Sooner or later, they'll try something to take Coyote down.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Regy Rusty posted:

I think this chapter is fun
                        /

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

This story is great, because it includes the line "I just saw your rug running away."

Either that or 'Hey this isnt my problem Coyote! Bye!'

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Depending on who was telling the story, Coyote could be anything from a harmless prankster to an egotistical sadist with no regard for the lives of others.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

I'm really just amazed at all the people jumping to the conclusion that Anthony is pure evil, or autistic, or a sociopath, or whatever, just because he's being strict with Annie and Tom hasn't immediately revealed the reason for his actions.

A strict father keeps a close watch on his daughter and firmly regulates her activities. He makes sure that she does not go places without his knowledge, and keeps her away from dangerous people. He discourages friendships that he feels would be a bad influence. He ensures that her school assignments are completed in a timely and proper fashion. In short, a strict father provides direction whether his child wants it or not.

Anthony has completely shirked the duty of providing Antimony with any kind of direction at all, and is now blaming her for, essentially, not raising herself. What he is doing is adopting the appearance of strictness without doing any of the actual work.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maybe it's time for... Anthony Carver, a life in review!

Here's our introduction to him:

He's a doctor! Just... some doctor. We also learn that Surma, not Anthony, is the one that wanted Annie to go to the Court to be educated. (Anthony presumably either agreed or didn't argue, but it's still a potentially significant fact.)

On these pages, we see Annie making use of skills her father taught her:

Annie owns Winsbury and grosses out the class. Man, I'm glad Winsbury calmed down a bit.

Here are five sequential pages set under a certain tree:

This is where we learn that Anthony Carver is an irredeemable clusterfuck of a human being. If you can forgive him for that fourth page, you're a better person than I, or perhaps a worse one.

Next, four pages with Kat's fammily starting here:

Mr. Eglamore (the man without glasses in this comic) represents this entire thread in that fourth page. Here we learn that Anthony is prone to just vanishing whenever he feels like it, and one of his oldest friends believes that he doesn't care about anyone but himself. (That friend's feelings maaaaay be influenced by good ole' Tony stealing his girl.)

Anthony comes back up in The Fangs of Summertime:

Annie's sure he's going to contact her! She is wrong. Coyote is either wrong also in the second page or enjoys yanking Eglamore's chain (I think I know which one it is). We discover that Coyote and Ysengrin know exactly who Anthony Carver is, and that they don't seem overly fond of him. We also learn that Annie isn't above petty theft if it helps her feel better about her parents both being gone.

After the break, Kat sympathizes with Annie over her dad's shittiness.

Note that Annie is incapable of criticizing him even here.

In a flashback to Good Hope:

We learn that Annie isn't allowed to call her dad "dad" or "daddy". Only "father". She's being taught to call Surma "mother", too, but she eventually gets over that.

Jones knows what's up with Anthony and Eglamore:

And she knows that insulting her dad is one of the quickest ways of pushing Annie's buttons.

Here's how Anthony informs one of his oldest friends about the death of her best friend, his wife:

This would probably have been a rough conversation for him. I can almost understand wanting to dodge it.

...flipping quickly through Blinking, I was reminded that Donald and Eglamore both have an anti-Reynardine tattoo. Why not Anthony? Did he not fight Reynardine, or does he not need one for other reasons? ...I wonder if Rey might take his body in a fit of anger. Oh, well, random speculation.

In the past, we learn that Anthony couldn't connect emotionally with his friends, even then, and that Annie's patterns of speech echo his. I wonder what his father was like?

What matters did he have to attend to? He was looking off to the side there before he wandered away. Is this just his way of saying he needs to visit the little emotionally distant dad's room?

We're actually Tony-free for quite a while after this, until we get to Fire Spike:

Again, criticism of her father drives Annie nuts almost immediately. They all knew what would happen to Surma... but why especially Anthony? Reynardine also doesn't like Anthony. Is Donald the only one that does?

Actually, no. Surma seemed to like him pretty well. He's willing to show his sorrow to her... but not in front of Annie. Look at that face in panel two of that second page. Spend a couple of minutes contemplating that expression.

Next up, Annie gets a call:

Microsat 5 is, of course, completely about Anthony. The smallest thing, says Donnie, carries the greatest weight.

Speaking of which, here it is:

The best page of Gunnerkrigg Court.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 7, 2015

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh, if true then good. I don't want this to be Coyote tricking Annie at all. I think he eventually will but I hope not now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Could you tone down the snark a little?

I'm not sure that's possible. Best to treat it as a speech impediment when reading my posts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is still one of my favorite pages in the entire series. It's so perfectly Coyote. Especially the fifth panel.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Excellent, excellent post, idonotlikepeas.

One thing that's always struck me as a huge thread throughout GC is Annie's personality shifting on the spectrum of "like her father" and "like her mother" (while still being unique from them in plenty of ways, of course). When she first came to the court she was super stoic and reserved and formal, like which everyone who knew her parents attributes to Anthony. The more time she spends around the forest and etheric things, the more wild and mischievous she grows, which reminds people of Surma. When she gets that sudden, strange call from her father, she rapidly tries to revert to her stone-faced self, but she's too shaken up about it to maintain that facade for long. But she's never been as playful and disrespecting-of-authority as she was when she recently got back from that summer she spent entirely in the forest. She's not exactly "changing into surma", but she's brought out more of the surma-like elements of her personality, which were previously buried.

I predict that when she leaves this conversation with Anthony, no matter how broken she feels, she'll be acting exaggeratedly reserved and formal again, even to Kat. Especially to Kat, even, when Kat tries to express concern about Anthony. (Which will of course only piss Kat off even more. Kat may be concerned about Annie's cheating, but her anger at Tony will probably take priority.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 7, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

A strict father keeps a close watch on his daughter and firmly regulates her activities. He makes sure that she does not go places without his knowledge, and keeps her away from dangerous people. He discourages friendships that he feels would be a bad influence. He ensures that her school assignments are completed in a timely and proper fashion. In short, a strict father provides direction whether his child wants it or not.

Anthony has completely shirked the duty of providing Antimony with any kind of direction at all, and is now blaming her for, essentially, not raising herself. What he is doing is adopting the appearance of strictness without doing any of the actual work.

I'm going to bet that there's even a good reason for Anthony's absence.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

There is no possible reason for his behavior that can be good enough unless it is literally that she is allergic to parental affection.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I'd totally buy that there is some super important and noble-intentioned thing that he's been doing all this time.

That doesn't magically make his instantaneous swing from "entirely and unexpectedly absent for years, showing no sign of returning" to "controlling and harsh" any more reasonable to characterize as "he's a strict father, making good decisions!".

EDIT: (Faster-than-instantaneous, even: he arranged for the repeated classes and new living quarters before informing his daughter that he had returned!)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Based on his behavior in the past, there's no way he doesn't have a reason for what he's doing. He's not the sort of character that does things without a reason. He's just a failure at being a person because of the way he's handled it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

There is no possible reason for his behavior that can be good enough unless it is literally that she is allergic to parental affection.

This is what I'm talking about with jumping to conclusions. You're not even open to the possibility? Really? In a setting with as much mystery and fantasy as this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

This is what I'm talking about with jumping to conclusions. You're not even open to the possibility? Really? In a setting with as much mystery as this?

Unless he's in a situation where being less of a dick would cause Antimony's immediate death or something, I really don't see such a possibility.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seriously it's like the blind men and the elephant ITT.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously it's like the blind men and the elephant ITT.

You're the one who thinks he's got hold of a snake.

I'm the one who thinks it's a tree trunk lol what a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fister Roboto posted:

This is what I'm talking about with jumping to conclusions. You're not even open to the possibility? Really? In a setting with as much mystery and fantasy as this?

There could be a 'good' reason in that Surma's death could have driven him mad with grief and he was unable to even look at Annie with seeing Surma. Unable to deal with it, he fled. That's probably how he deals with his emotions - run away and hide until he's calm. That doesn't mean he's a good father though. Of course, consciously, he became obsessed with 'curing' Annie of her 'condition'. Now that he's found a way to extract the fire spirit without killing her (he thinks), he's back to 'save' her.