Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's not what I said. It has nothing to do with him being religious; Colbert teaches Sunday school for Christ's sake. If I got pissy about every media figure who was religious, I'd not have much to watch or hear. The issue is that his opinions are/were so loving dumb. I welcome intelligent opposing opinions. Stewart said poo poo I disagreed with regularly, but there was usually evidence that he had put thought into his opinion. The stuff in those tweets is sub-O'Reilly level.

Unbelievable.
VVVVVVVVVVV

You're a grown man who lives in the age of the internet and you're mad someone didn't think a tweet through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You're a grown man who lives in the age of the internet and you're mad someone didn't think a tweet through.

Welcome to the new world.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

For the record (as if anyone cares), I don't think he should lose his job over any of this stuff. It's worrying to me because of what it might bode for the quality of the show.

Don't be absurd, even if he earnestly believes that poo poo now it's not like he's suddenly going to use the Daily Show desk as an evangelical soapbox.

I mean even when you're consider those, who the gently caress ever took Christopher Hitchens seriously?

Also:

IRQ posted:

Yeah the tweets are profoundly dumb, but it's loving twitter, being dumb is basically all it does.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This! I don't give a crap that he's religious!

Then why are you so "concerned" about these lovely posts from 4-5 years ago as opposed to his other lovely posts from 4-5 years ago?

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 4, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

raditts posted:

Then why are you so "concerned" about these lovely posts from 4-5 years ago as opposed to his other lovely posts from 4-5 years ago?
Because this time it targets him instead of low-hanging targets like fat women.

If you decided that being offended by his jokes is dumb, then yeah it's pretty hypocritical to suddenly have that reaction when you're the one being made fun of.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Also:

I don't care about any of them. My position all along has been "yeah that was dumb, but it's twitter from years ago so who loving cares?" Maybe you confused me with someone else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I don't care about any of them. My position all along has been "yeah that was dumb, but it's twitter from years ago so who loving cares?" Maybe you confused me with someone else.

I was just quoting you for the apt line about Twitter being dumb. Sorry for the confusion.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just watched African American and I wasn't really impressed. It was basically "black guys do this but white guys do this" but instead off white guys it was "mixed race south African guy."

The jokes just drag on too long too. He'll do an impression but do it so long it's no longer funny. I like the correspondent character he plays on the daily show. I hope it's more of that and less of his stand up persona. Craig Ferguson was pretty similar in that I found his stand up to be grating but loved the late late show.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Well, it looks like Larry won't be baby-birded. I guess I'm now hoping for a Wisconsin win to have a Knightly show instead of a spandex one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

GutBomb posted:

The jokes just drag on too long too. He'll do an impression but do it so long it's no longer funny.

Jon Stewart does the exact same thing, though?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GutBomb posted:

I just watched African American and I wasn't really impressed. It was basically "black guys do this but white guys do this" but instead off white guys it was "mixed race south African guy."

The jokes just drag on too long too. He'll do an impression but do it so long it's no longer funny. I like the correspondent character he plays on the daily show. I hope it's more of that and less of his stand up persona. Craig Ferguson was pretty similar in that I found his stand up to be grating but loved the late late show.

I watched it this morning as well, and I felt the same way, but then I took a step back and thought about it as compared to TDS. Jon Stewart also does a lot of impressions, and not as well as Noah did in that routine (all of Jon's eventually devolve into jewish grandmother). TDS also does a LOT of softball low hanging fruit jokes, which African American was absolutely rotten with. You can carry the comparisons out and really while the standup routine was bland and tired, what he was actually doing is very close to what TDS does on a regular basis. A 90 minute standup set is not a 21 minutes minus the ~7 minute interview nobody cares about tv show. With a writing team and the skeleton of skills that match up very well to TDS's Jon Stewart years a fairly mediocre standup special has made me think he could be a solid pick.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jon Stewart does the exact same thing, though?
No, Jon's style is "make funny faces or laugh at something for 30 seconds before making a joke"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Y-Hat posted:

No, Jon's style is "make funny faces or laugh at something for 30 seconds before making a joke"

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Y-Hat posted:

Go to your bathroom. Face the mirror. Say 'Elena Kagan' three times.

The ghost of Jon Stewart will appear behind you and continue saying "Kagan" in every thinkable and unthinkable modulation and intonation stereotypical jewish grandmothers have and will ever have come up with until your soul has withered away into the aether.

You can repeat this with "Rob Blagoyevich", or - to go in a different direction - try anthing Mitch McConnell related.

I think the only thing I'll never get tired of is his impression of Lindsey Graham and I don't know why.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you can't laugh at Mitch McConnell / Cecil Turtle jokes then I don't know what to say to you.

IRQ posted:

I watched it this morning as well, and I felt the same way, but then I took a step back and thought about it as compared to TDS. Jon Stewart also does a lot of impressions, and not as well as Noah did in that routine (all of Jon's eventually devolve into jewish grandmother).

Hey now, he's also got "Jersey tough guy."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Hey now, he's also got "Jersey tough guy."

You are totally right, a-gabbagoo.

Point is that Noah's knack for impersonations is a huge plus for his run at TDS.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could care less about impressions. I really dug the part of the standup where he talked about having to "Trade up" to being black.

Admittedly, the whole riff on the metric system was some low hanging fruit. Nowhere near as good as John Oliver's riff on america goofiness, which including a bit about an inflatable barbecue that is still one of the finest bits I've witnessed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I guess singling out the impressions as what I thought went on too long wasn't exactly what I meant. He would just say the same poo poo over and over and I just didn't think it was FUNNY the first time he said it but he just kept going. I guess the difference is that I find Jon Stewart funny, even with his dumb impressions, giggling, and beating dead horses.

And it's a good point that a 22 minute show with an interview and a correspondent bit will probably keep that stuff down to a tolerable level.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The Blagoyevich voice isn't Jewish Grandmother. It's Jerry Lewis/Professor Frink.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Steve Vader posted:

The Blagoyevich voice isn't Jewish Grandmother. It's Jerry Lewis/Professor Frink.

I never saw the Professor Frink comparison until now. Well played.

For me, nothing matches Stewart's Queen Impression. I have no idea why that cracks me up so much.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Narcissus1916 posted:

I could care less about impressions. I really dug the part of the standup where he talked about having to "Trade up" to being black.

Admittedly, the whole riff on the metric system was some low hanging fruit. Nowhere near as good as John Oliver's riff on america goofiness, which including a bit about an inflatable barbecue that is still one of the finest bits I've witnessed.

From what I've seen, one of Trevor's better bits was about Malibu. It involved a dumb American surfer girl, aids, chocolate, and it was all a set up for a joke about Jacob Zuma being Jacob Zuma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuKhW3sJsA

Jacob Zuma was in a sex scandal with a girl who was HIV positive. When it came to light that he didn't use a condom, he was asked what he did to prevent contracting HIV. His response was that he took a shower.

Also I learned that Zambia didn't have any escalators until 2013, which was pretty amazing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioning John Oliver's grilling of Edward loving Snowden.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Grouchio posted:

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioning John Oliver's grilling of Edward loving Snowden.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Well, they are. In the John Oliver thread.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think the only thing I'll never get tired of is his impression of Lindsey Graham and I don't know why.

The more people that treat him like McCain's Southern Belle the better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What kind of loving rear end in a top hat do you have to be to drop a Godwin on this "religious freedom" business and not realize at all how stupid it makes you look.

Also, this whole thing with the homophobic pizza place is like the story of the Racist Tree, if it ended with a bunch of racists stacking a wall of money around the tree at the end.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Did anybody else see the catastrophically bad and unconvincing SeaWorld commercial, trying to rebut the allegations that they treat their animals terribly?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Majorian posted:

Did anybody else see the catastrophically bad and unconvincing SeaWorld commercial, trying to rebut the allegations that they treat their animals terribly?

Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that flailing PR attempt. "They're just as happy and healthy in an 8x10 pool as in the wild! Honest, guys!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

What kind of loving rear end in a top hat do you have to be to drop a Godwin on this "religious freedom" business and not realize at all how stupid it makes you look.

Also, this whole thing with the homophobic pizza place is like the story of the Racist Tree, if it ended with a bunch of racists stacking a wall of money around the tree at the end.

Hilariously this has been settled, even. A bakery not wanting to put an anti-gay message on a cake was just sided with in court, it's almost as if offensive messages are different than blanket hate for groups.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Majorian posted:

As soon as they said "Government studies show that our whales live just as long as in the wild" I burst out "BULL loving poo poo!!!!!!!" so I don't think the commercial had the intended effect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Presidential Bees

e; Spandex it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guess we're getting Spandex :/ gently caress you, Duke.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're brothers, Larry :barf:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mario Batali? That's an odd choice.
Edit: He's doing okay though.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 7, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Gotta give Nightly Show some credit here, it's really great that they cut to the core of the issue, it really is that people find dudes putting their dicks in other dudes butts icky. Don't cut these assholes any slack (uhhhh pun uhhhh not intended uhhhh)

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I wonder why they only went with 3 people at the table this time along with Larry. Someone backed out at the last minute maybe?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

berserker posted:

I wonder why they only went with 3 people at the table this time along with Larry. Someone backed out at the last minute maybe?

It feels like there's no token conservative which is helping.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

berserker posted:

Batali needed a side of the table for himself.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

berserker posted:

Hopefully it's some kind of retooling, the panel segment seemed a bit less worthless today. I feel like they should have figured that out the first time they had to bring out a staff member to fill out the panel though.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mario Batali? That's an odd choice.
Edit: He's doing okay though.

He was probably in the neighborhood since he's a co-host of The Chew.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I really hope that this is due to some conservative shill backing out due to realizing they'd look like a total rear end in a top hat for the entire conversation - if that's the case then the producers should be able to sense the positive reaction to how the episode plays out because of it.

Also this whole pizza thing was pretty hilarious.

Maybe it really is that defending lovely positions sucks the funny out of everything?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, this was the most watchable episode I've seen in...a while. Maybe ever? It was odd that Batali had the best showing, by the way. I absolutely worship James Adomian, and while I was disappointed that he didn't get too many words in edgewise, I was genuinely impressed with Batali. He's a very smart, well-spoken dude, it would seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of on the panels is people who I wouldn't expect to have political opinions to be on the show, such as Batali.

• Locked thread