Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kingnothing posted:

Saw this on someone else's phone the other day. Though you guys might get a kick out of how terrible it is.

Is that actually Shanks fan art with a Luffy face pasted on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think they've just tried to draw Luffy from Strong World but forgot what he actually looked like? So they gave him Shank's sword and based him on a refernce image of Sanji they found (the belt chain and shoes are clearly from Sanji, I think, maybe the suspenders too).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gyges posted:

Is that actually Shanks fan art with a Luffy face pasted on top?

He has one too many arms for that.

The reason it's that long has to be just because they wanted it to fit. It's an iPhone 6, which is pretty long in general.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This week's episode was pretty great! Glad to see that Sabo and Fujitora are actually duking it out and it wasn't just an episode title to get us excited over nothing. Wonder how much more the Marines are going to hate Luffy over another new insanely dangerous relative. I'm guessing the new person in the opening was Cora, so I'm guessing Law's inevitable flashbacks will be pretty long.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

It's more that the post implied that they weren't localizing a lot of things in the Funi One Piece dub anymore when they used to, which I haven't heard about (though granted I've only got until like Water 7, I think on DVD). The episodes I've seen have a bunch of appropriate localisation, using different terms for booze when appropriate, using terms like "Navy" and "Seven Warlords" and so on.

Remember the days of translated on-screen text and intro songs? That's what I'm referring to.

Still I think the Funi localization was flawed from the start. Particularly their insistance that all characters properly pronounce Japanese names, samurai, katana etc. with a Japanese accent. I understand it from trained swordsmen like Zoro, but it doesn't sound right coming from a simpleminded guy like Luffy, especially considering the nation of Japan doesn't exist in this world.
'
Also would it hurt to translate some of the pun based names? Bartholebew Kuma = Bartholemew Bear, Kumasy = Bearsy. You know, like they did for Onion, Carrot, and Pepper.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Bartholemew Bear is a dumb name.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

F. Lobot posted:

Remember the days of translated on-screen text and intro songs? That's what I'm referring to.

Still I think the Funi localization was flawed from the start. Particularly their insistance that all characters properly pronounce Japanese names, samurai, katana etc. with a Japanese accent. I understand it from trained swordsmen like Zoro, but it doesn't sound right coming from a simpleminded guy like Luffy, especially considering the nation of Japan doesn't exist in this world.
'
Also would it hurt to translate some of the pun based names? Bartholebew Kuma = Bartholemew Bear, Kumasy = Bearsy. You know, like they did for Onion, Carrot, and Pepper.

I think with Kuma at least it's because you see his name in English text in the original footage and they don't like to edit these days.

As far as I know, they still translate on-screen text on the DVDs? I'm pretty bummed they stopped doing the translated intro songs apparently, I liked their translated We Are and such. :(

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
They translated the best song already so I'm still okay with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6fAXeBnY8

(Calling him Sniper King was Toei's decision so don't get angry at Funimation if you're that petty)

Also remember when they first got the series they had a tight deadline and had to keep all the translations and whatnot that 4kids used so you got names like G. Zass Burgress.

Speaking of, as much as you guys joke about Bisoromi Bear I'm surprised no one remembers this old classic.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

G. Zass is a pretty funny workaround and I wish it stuck.

Ryaomon posted:

(Calling him Sniper King was Toei's decision so don't get angry at Funimation if you're that petty)

It was a good decision. 'Sogeking' is meaningless in English.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm Bart the Bear and I'm here to say

The Paw Paw fruit sends you far away

You'll be airborne for many days

To land safely, you better pray

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Bartholemew Bear is a dumb name.

They should have called him Barry.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm Bart the Bear and I'm here to say

The Paw Paw fruit sends you far away

You'll be airborne for many days

To land safely, you better pray

There's a part of me that wishes 4Kids had been able to keep going just to see what they would come up with for some of the later stuff.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Senor Candle posted:

There's a part of me that wishes 4Kids had been able to keep going just to see what they would come up with for some of the later stuff.

Luffy it's me, Travis Law, and I've got to tell you about how Mr Flamingo came to this kingdom and PUT EVERYONE IN JAIL

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Senor Candle posted:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Sabo can apparently crush a human skull with his hands as easily as an egg.

Oda has clearly never tried to crush an egg in his hands, because that is famously impossible.

Sabo has really pulled a Coby on me (although I don't think Sabo was intended to be unlikable initially, whereas I would argue Coby was). I really did not like Sabo initially.
But new Sabo is really awesome, and his techniques are cool. And I really like him at as a continuation of Ace's story and a great way to see more of the Mera Mera no Mi, which I had wanted to see more of anyway.
It's great to see someone that combines some techniques and a logia-type. It's sensible too, since he only just now got the fruit, but has been #2 until now.
I also like we get to see something other than rokushiki (though they are cool).

Basically, I like where the Sabo things are going, haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

that is famously impossible.

It's very easy to do if you just apply uneven pressure.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

F. Lobot posted:

It was a good decision. 'Sogeking' is meaningless in English.

I'd probably have gone even farther, really. Seeing as Sogeking is his super hero alias, I would, if I were the guy translating it, go with American Superhero naming conventions and call him... Sniper-man (also conveniently punning off things like Spider-man)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Oda has clearly never tried to crush an egg in his hands, because that is famously impossible.

Wasn't that a famous fake fact to trick people into, you know, crushing an egg with their hands and make a mess?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Petiso posted:

Wasn't that a famous fake fact to trick people into, you know, crushing an egg with their hands and make a mess?

This is why I haven't tried it despite only hearing about the phenomenon today

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Eggs are super easy to crush. Just like human skulls, it's how you get to the sweet sweet meats within.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

It's very easy to do if you just apply uneven pressure.

Yeah, that's the second half of the famousness. Incredibly durable under high, but even, pressure; yet seems so easy to break otherwise. Which is why when just squeezed in your hand, the idea is that people would find it to be surprisingly strong.

Petiso posted:

Perhaps this was my plan all along. How many of you did I get to attempt this? You also can't eat a spoonful of cinnamon. Or a spoonful of egg shells.

Prison Warden posted:

Eggs are super easy to crush. Just like human skulls, it's how you get to the sweet sweet meats within.

I guess breakability / crushability in the One Piece world is as follows: rope < skulls < diamonds < steel < stone < eggs < swords

Also, I am always surprised by how bad Marines are at following direct orders from superiors. Do they even train or did they all just sign up that day? And people in that world surprisingly don't seem to understand Logia types very much. Or their own insignificance...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i bet luffy could crush an egg in his hands

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

sharrrk posted:

i bet luffy could crush an egg in his hands

Your av looks like Shadow is trying to break an egg in his hand.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

Your av looks like Shadow is trying to break an egg in his hand.

That's funny because my username is based on Shadow the Hedgehog. It's come full circle thanks to eggs. Wanna trade avatars? :P

I like Fujitora a lot, but it's strange to me that we have yet another gravity fruit. Shiki, Fujitora, and then Blackbeard. Making me even more confused why Blackbeard tried so hard to get that particular, but clearly not very unique or helpful fruit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

That's funny because my username is based on Shadow the Hedgehog. It's come full circle thanks to eggs. Wanna trade avatars? :P

I like Fujitora a lot, but it's strange to me that we have yet another gravity fruit. Shiki, Fujitora, and then Blackbeard. Making me even more confused why Blackbeard tried so hard to get that particular, but clearly not very unique or helpful fruit.

Well shiki isn't really canon. Also Blackbeard's and Fujitora's abilities are extremely different, are you really saying you can't see how pwerfull Teach's fruit is?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shadow0 posted:

Well it's already been well established that devil fruits can sometimes have similar uses while still being unique powers. Shiki's power lets him manipulate objects directly and levitate them, while Fujitora is exerting gravitational force on stuff and Blackbeard is creating black holes that just draw everything in.

Now I just want to see a three way fight between these three. Also a three-way fight between Law, Buggy, and that one marine guy that can split into balls.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Well shiki isn't really canon. Also Blackbeard's and Fujitora's abilities are extremely different, are you really saying you can't see how pwerfull Teach's fruit is?

Shiki actually is canon. He's mentioned during Impel Down and there's a canon prequel chapter to the series that sets up Strong World.
The actual events of Strong World are never shown or mentioned in the manga but there's nothing like Film Z that makes it impossible to have happened.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Shiki actually is canon. He's mentioned during Impel Down and there's a canon prequel chapter to the series that sets up Strong World.
The actual events of Strong World are never shown or mentioned in the manga but there's nothing like Film Z that makes it impossible to have happened.

Yeah I actually read that just there on the wiki! My mistake. Still though his is a very different ability. In the same way I wouldn't call the Lava and Fire fruits that similar at all really.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Blachbeard = Logia Gravity
Shiki = Levitation
Fujitora = Non-Logia Gravity but i think it's more like pressure im not too sure though.

Not manga reader but my theory is Blackbeard and his devil fruit power are both special which allowed him to have two devil fruits at the same time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:goonsay: Blackbeard has the power of darkness, not gravity. Still leaves the gravity fruit for Fujitora.

iirc it's implied that a combination of the darkness fruit and a unique body structure allows Blackbeard to absorb the shockwave power from Whitebeard, this is why he wanted the fruit. Unknown so far if he can absorb more powers though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Zark the Damned posted:

:goonsay: Blackbeard has the power of darkness, not gravity. Still leaves the gravity fruit for Fujitora.

iirc it's implied that a combination of the darkness fruit and a unique body structure allows Blackbeard to absorb the shockwave power from Whitebeard, this is why he wanted the fruit. Unknown so far if he can absorb more powers though.

I read somewhere the other day that there is a theory that Blackbeard actually has a mythical Zoan Devilfruit "Chimera" that allows him to basically have three souls and thus three abilities as well as a "unique body"

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
pretty obvious having multiple powers is why he wanted the darkness fruit so bad because why would he want the worst fruit in the world so badly otherwise

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

pretty obvious having multiple powers is why he wanted the darkness fruit so bad because why would he want the worst fruit in the world so badly otherwise

People able to nullify powers is also p sweet tbf

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

People able to nullify powers is also p sweet tbf

yeah but then HAKI happened and rendered that pretty much moot since the most powerful people in the world don't even need devil fruit powers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

yeah but then HAKI happened and rendered that pretty much moot since the most powerful people in the world don't even need devil fruit powers

Not exactly. Haki let's you hit logias but doesn't cancel their powers. If Blackbeard touches you your power is totally gone while he's touching you. If someone punches Crocodile with Haki he can still sandblast their face off.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What I mean is, at the time, when he first showed it off against Ace, it seemed like a big deal, because all the most powerful players in the world used devil fruit powers.

Now, we know that they can use haki too, and Teach's fruit doesn't do anything against Haki. So really, without being able to steal powers, just disabling them isn't a big deal since actually strong guys would just shrug it off and punch his face in. Like we literally saw this happen when he fought Whitebeard.

That and Teach's power only works while he's touching you, so once he's punched away, whoever he was fighting would get their power back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Blackbeard also may just be the tankiest guy in all of OP so far, though, so I'm wagering even with haki he's still a serious threat. Especially with his posse.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What I mean is, at the time, when he first showed it off against Ace, it seemed like a big deal, because all the most powerful players in the world used devil fruit powers.

Now, we know that they can use haki too, and Teach's fruit doesn't do anything against Haki. So really, without being able to steal powers, just disabling them isn't a big deal since actually strong guys would just shrug it off and punch his face in. Like we literally saw this happen when he fought Whitebeard.

That and Teach's power only works while he's touching you, so once he's punched away, whoever he was fighting would get their power back.

Except for that time he sucked in all those marines into a black hole and stuff. Only the "cancel devil fruit powers" part seems to require direct physical contact. Also Blackbeard has proved obscenely resilient to damage of a wide variety and is certainly not affected, severely if at all, by conqueror's haki. He has also proven very strong offensively and strategically. He has yet to really be caught off-guard by a situation and seems very aware of his ability level with respect to those he faces as evidenced by when he backed down when Shanks arrived at Marineford.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Blackbeard did his research beforehand, he knew the darkness fruit would make him more vulnerable to punches etc. so he trained his body to be hella resilient before he got the fruit. Even before he stole it and betrayed the Whitebeard pirates he was one of their highest ranked guys and in line to become a captain. There's a good chance he'll learn armament haki at some point for extra protection.

I suspect it's his weird body/special training which allows him to multifruit, the darkness power just let him absorb Whitebeard's fruit without waiting for it to respawn (which has been shown to be an inconsistent time).

I doubt the Chimera fruit theory, iirc most Zoan types tend to switch to their combat form for fighting and have some hints to the animal in their character design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

I doubt the Chimera fruit theory, iirc most Zoan types tend to switch to their combat form for fighting and have some hints to the animal in their character design.

Sorry. Not chimera. Cerberus model zoan (three headed dog). The author noted BB's connection with the number 3 such as the three flintlock pistols he carries, his flag being three skulls in the same arrangement as the dogs three heads, the three scars he gave Shanks, etc.

Cerberus was also sometimes said to devour or rip out the souls of those it killed, similar to BB stealing Whitebeard's fruit.

Something really cool that this guy noticed that I never really thought of was how Oda effectively split the real lIfe Blackbeard into three characters in the show. Edward Newgate, Thatch, and Marshall Teach (the real life Black beard was known by two names, Edward Thatch and Edward Teach), all now effectively one being in the show if Blackbeard consumed the other two's souls.