Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Actually it's very difficult to become a union plumber these days as the journeyman positions are insanely competitive. You also need to deal with the kind of folks who became plumbers in the days when you could get a great job with any college degree, so there's that.

Your knowledge of American union employment and education seems limited.

I live in a capitalist country with welfare in the right places. What's a union?

onemillionzombies posted:

I cannot emphasize this enough, the trades are full of retards. They are remarkably anti-intellectual, they do not care in the slightest about you and you will be harassed/bullied into doing things that are clearly unsafe and undoubtedly illegal. Don't like it? Quit. Son or nephew of a guy I hate for no apparent reason? I'll make you quit. There are good guys/crews of course, but best of luck finding them.

If you are intelligent and practical you end up becoming the boss of the retards. That annoys them more.

e: bad with money content.

I was on the train and the woman in the seat in front was talking about how she'd gotten a job at Disney World in Florida. She was very happy about the Disney ID allowing her access to any of the Disney themeparks. Of course her friend was surprised that she was only working for 6-12 months on $9USD per hour for a minimum of 30 hours. Basically taking a 50% paycut over working in New Zealand just to work in Florida. Bad with money "dream job".

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Devian666 posted:

I live in a capitalist country with welfare in the right places. What's a union?

Apparently whatever country you're from also didn't educate you on the word "union". That's too bad. Hopefully you'll be able to overcome the challenges you've faced to do basic research into why trades aren't a great deal right now in the US.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Apparently whatever country you're from also didn't educate you on the word "union". That's too bad. Hopefully you'll be able to overcome the challenges you've faced to do basic research into why trades aren't a great deal right now in the US.

The unions were broken here a long time ago. It's a shame that trades aren't a good option in the US, they're profitable here but that doesn't help anyone.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

If you are intelligent and practical you end up becoming the boss of the retards. That annoys them more.

e: bad with money content.

I was on the train and the woman in the seat in front was talking about how she'd gotten a job at Disney World in Florida. She was very happy about the Disney ID allowing her access to any of the Disney themeparks. Of course her friend was surprised that she was only working for 6-12 months on $9USD per hour for a minimum of 30 hours. Basically taking a 50% paycut over working in New Zealand just to work in Florida. Bad with money "dream job".

Well unfortunately you often take a paycut for an adventure job in a third world country

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

One thing I've learned in my relatively short time in the professional world is that buying food/giving food is very, very, very good with money. I've been shocked by how much goodwill a $20 lunch generates.

But gently caress family, though. Freeloaders!

Be cheap in other places, but be generous with food at work. Back when I was team lead at a call center I'd bring in doughnuts every couple of months. $15 bucks in sugar and dough goes a long way towards creating a better work environment.

I'm a contractor now with no benefits or job security and I still try to find excuses to bring in breakfast or treats for the team. Today it was cookies from the local bakery because my kid finally won a loving basketball game.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Did his teammates also win?

HER teammates you patriarchal SOB.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Krispy Kareem posted:

Be cheap in other places, but be generous with food at work. Back when I was team lead at a call center I'd bring in doughnuts every couple of months. $15 bucks in sugar and dough goes a long way towards creating a better work environment.

I'm a contractor now with no benefits or job security and I still try to find excuses to bring in breakfast or treats for the team. Today it was cookies from the local bakery because my kid finally won a loving basketball game.

Did his teammates also win?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

The norm of reciprocity!
It's a real effect. We rotate bringing in snacks on Mondays, and you really do think differently of the guy who brings in Chick Fil A breakfast sandwiches, awesome breakfast burritos or homemade goodies vs. the guy who phones it in with grocery store glazed donuts.

But both types are better than the guy who forgets to bring it on Monday and brings it in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Screw that guy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

canyoneer posted:

The norm of reciprocity!
It's a real effect. We rotate bringing in snacks on Mondays, and you really do think differently of the guy who brings in Chick Fil A breakfast sandwiches, awesome breakfast burritos or homemade goodies vs. the guy who phones it in with grocery store glazed donuts.

But both types are better than the guy who forgets to bring it on Monday and brings it in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Screw that guy.

Having a formal snack rotation that isn't paid for by the company is honestly pretty weird. I'd be annoyed if I was expected to bring in food for everyone every six weeks or something.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Inept posted:

Having a formal snack rotation that isn't paid for by the company is honestly pretty weird. I'd be annoyed if I was expected to bring in food for everyone every six weeks or something.

My office rotates snack for Thursday morning staff meeting and everyone seems to enjoy it :shrug:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

My office rotates snack for Thursday morning staff meeting and everyone seems to enjoy it :shrug:

They probably would enjoy it more if they didn't pay out of pocket.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BossRighteous posted:

Holy cow it's the hotels dot com spokesman

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
wife bought some dish that now has the purpose of holding butter for $50 from costco last week

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

zaurg posted:

wife bought some dish that now has the purpose of holding butter for $50 from costco last week

:stare: Welcome home, traveler

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

zaurg posted:

Long time no see.

How... are you doing? I'm a bit afraid to ask.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

zaurg posted:

And lo, after three days however loving long, our prophet has returned from the dead.

Dare I ask how fancy this butter dish is for $50?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
To celebrate the return; bad with money celebrity edition is Nicholas Cage.

I was wondering why he appears in so many drat movies.

quote:

On July 14, 2009, the Internal Revenue Service filed documents in New Orleans in connection with a federal tax lien against property owned by Cage in Louisiana, concerning unpaid federal taxes. The IRS alleges that Cage failed to pay over $6.2 million in federal income tax for the year 2007.[83] In addition, the Internal Revenue Service has another lien for more than $350,000 in unpaid taxes dating from 2002 to 2004.[84] Cage filed a $20 million lawsuit on October 16, 2009, against his business manager, Samuel J. Levin, alleging negligence and fraud.[85] The lawsuit states that Levin "had failed to pay taxes when they were due and had placed [Cage] in speculative and risky real estate investments 'resulting in (the actor) suffering catastrophic losses'."[85] Cage is also facing separate lawsuits from East West Bank[86] and Red Curb Investments for unpaid, multimillion dollar loans.

In December 2009, Christina Fulton sued Cage for $13 million and for the house in which she was living. The suit was in response to an order that she leave the dwelling; the order resulted from Cage's financial difficulties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Cage

He also seems to spend a lot and has a lot of payments to make. He's living from paycheque to paycheque.

Adding Michael Jackson to this. I knew he had some big debts but I never realised how much.

quote:

'On an annual basis [he was] spending 15 to 20 million dollars a year more than he brought in,' Ackerman said, according to CBS Los Angeles. 'He was tapped out.'

Forensic accountant William Ackerman said the late singer was paying a staggering $30 million annually just in interest on his debts, which totaled roughly half a billion dollars when he died.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2391485/Michael-Jackson-paying-30MILLION-annually-just-payments-debt.html

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 7, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

Holy cow it's the hotels dot com spokesman

hahaha

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inept posted:

Ditto. I wouldn't want to eat that poo poo and wind up as fat as 40%+ of my office, or feel obligated to bring snacks in.

BossRighteous posted:

Yep. Though my employer only does that sort of thing Upstairs, cheap assholes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

SiGmA_X posted:

Ditto. I wouldn't want to eat that poo poo and wind up as fat as 40%+ of my office, or feel obligated to bring snacks in.
Yep. Though my employer only does that sort of thing Upstairs, cheap assholes.

Yep. My philosophy is to just not eat that garbage and don't participate either.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

zaurg posted:

ZAURG! :swoon:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We need pictures of the z dish.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

FrozenVent posted:

We need pictures of the z dish.

We also need a flow chart of which daisy chained credit cards she used to buy it, which budgets she violated buying it and the approximate amount of time before they both all but literally are crucified by their creditors.

But I welcome back BFC's heretic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

We also need a flow chart of which daisy chained credit cards she used to buy it, which budgets she violated buying it and the approximate amount of time before they both all but literally are crucified by their creditors.

But I welcome back BFC's heretic.

Give the dude - if he actually is the dude - a chance to settle in, good god.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
What is the backstory on zaurg?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

seiken posted:

That's all you have to know.

My favorite .gif of all time.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i thought we'd agreed that zaurg isnt funny anymore and hasnt been for years, since he's just a sad, broken man in an unfaithful marriage who gave up a long time ago. now he just shows up once a while, trolls a bit, then gets banned. repeat every 6-12 months.

edit: his original thread was great though, up until his aforesaid brokenness

Zo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 7, 2015

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zo posted:

i thought we'd agreed that zaurg isnt funny anymore and hasnt been for years, since he's just a sad, broken man in an unfaithful marriage who gave up a long time ago. now he just shows up once a while, trolls a bit, then gets banned. repeat every 6-12 months.

But he gives all of us hope.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zo posted:

BFC should put its money where its mouth is and do a Kickstarter for Zaurg to get a divorce lawyer.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

seiken posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. He is one of this forum's greats. Him, Cornholio, Murderknobs, and SlowMo are the pantheon of goons in piss-filled wells. Only corny really made it out, but it was dark days for a while there. Last I remember, Zaurg was underwater on a condo in FL and his wife wanted to move up in the world and get a house. She also had like $50-100K in private student loan debt and is/was an accountant. They would buy wonderhangers, MLM juice, monogrammed chocolates, and stored it all on a pool table. I seem to recall Zaurg rarely got laid by her and there were implications she got pregnant by an outside source so she let Z-man have a go and suddenly she was with child. I'm hazy on that one. It was a loving outstanding read. Way better that slowmo's self-aggrandizing poo poo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zaurg posted:

hello old friend.

You know guys I really miss Zaurg and Zaurg-likes can we agree not to chase off the funny ones? Maybe more people would post threads here.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Taco Box posted:

Murderknobs

I don't know this one

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Also he cut his toenail (or callus) off with a butcher knife for some loving reason.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thread 1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3175682

Thread 2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470495

Spermy Smurf posted:

Also he cut his toenail (or callus) off with a butcher knife for some loving reason.

Wasn't it a wart?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

pig slut lisa posted:

I don't know this one

His thread was really short. He was basically low rent SloMo. Worked in Baltimore (I think) and just drank away his money, then decided he was too baller for us and left. I'm probably forgetting something, but that was the idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Is it one of those stoneware dishes that let you keep the butter soft and fresh without refrigeration?

My wife bought one or those. :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Butter bells are awesome and only cost like $15

Folly
May 26, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is it one of those stoneware dishes that let you keep the butter soft and fresh without refrigeration?

My wife bought one or those. :(

Oh a butter bell? We have one of those: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A1APL8

Love it. We make our own bread. It's totally worth $12.50 to me to have soft butter on still warm bread. Clearly luxury, so it's not like I can recommend it. But I'm pleased with mine. How'd she spend $50 on one?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Folly posted:

Oh a butter bell? We have one of those: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A1APL8

Love it. We make our own bread. It's totally worth $12.50 to me to have soft butter on still warm bread. Clearly luxury, so it's not like I can recommend it. But I'm pleased with mine. How'd she spend $50 on one?

She bought a French one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Folly posted:

How'd she spend $50 on one?

You've not read the horror stories of Zwife, have you? There's a reason for that crazy divorce gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Probably this:

Le Creuset Stoneware Butter Crock

$50 MSRP

• Locked thread