Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Atherton, Gower, Holding and Lloyd (in limited doses) are my favourites. Most of the TMS team are good, too. Hussain's all right but I just find Esturine really grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I like the team that do the big bash, and also boycott when england is losing horribly

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
boycott is funny but when he's on with a women he can be very patronising

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can get stuck in loops, just repeating the same thing over and over until someone who's used to arguing with him comes and breaks him out of it by telling him he's being an idiot or making disparaging comments about his playing style.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A completely worthwhile warm-up game: http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-england-2015/engine/match/766925.html

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cook and Trott scoring at under 3 an over against a village side. It's going to be a long year lads.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
3 an over should be unchaseable. I've had a look at the data.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Half the bowlers they're facing don't have first class records.

edit - Actually, only two don't. The rest have 10 or fewer games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, Cook hit a 6. They must be bowling pies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trott didn't make it to stumps. Got done in by a part time spinner.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

gently caress me, Cook hit a 6. They must be bowling pies.

Careful, thats the kind of misinformation that will get Samit injured running onto the field.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Hopefully The 'Gland can negotiate that unused squad players will play for the opposition so we can see Jonny Bairstow stump Cook for 98.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know he has retired and all, but commentary chat is useless without a discussion of Kerry O'Keefe.

I thought he was good to great. But with his loving laugh every five seconds, and him making dad jokes at which he himself could laugh at, I understand how he could be annoying as hell.

Also add Geoff Lawson to Terribad

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know he has retired and all, but commentary chat is useless without a discussion of Kerry O'Keefe.

I thought he was good to great. But with his loving laugh every five seconds, and him making dad jokes at which he himself could laugh at, I understand how he could be annoying as hell.

Also add Geoff Lawson to Terribad

Everything except the laugh was fine with O'keefe

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I like Geoff Lawson he seems like a normal dude.

Terry Alderman is good too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Blowers and Vic Marks are great. Simon Hughes is good too. Spot the TMS fan.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

-Spiffy- posted:

I like Geoff Lawson he seems like a normal dude.

Terry Alderman is good too.

Madness! TA prattles on about nothing in a bad way, and GL can't help but tell you he went to university every 5 seconds during any match at the SCG (from the GL named UNSW end), and he talks non-stop poo poo to boot. When he and Drew Morphett were on together on Grandstand during the tests it was almost unlistenable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The rookie commentators they get in on the ABC are almost always really good. The older ones are good too, I can't think of a single Grandstand commentator that really pisses me off the way the Ch9 ones do.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Even Danny Morrison was good when he was on Grandstand.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gay picnic defence posted:

The rookie commentators they get in on the ABC are almost always really good. The older ones are good too, I can't think of a single Grandstand commentator that really pisses me off the way the Ch9 ones do.

Very much agree with this, its just the two mentioned above are two of the worst on Grandstand, put them on Ch 9 and they'd easily be the best.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Jim Maxwell is always excellent when he is on TMS during Ashes series.

Lungboy posted:

Blowers and Vic Marks are great. Simon Hughes is good too. Spot the TMS fan.

Hughes is decent, I find Vic Marks a bit too chummy for my likes but he's perfectly fine. Blowers needed to retire at least three years ago sadly. He was still brilliant up until recently but now is borderline senile and can't stay on point for longer than fifteen seconds (he used to manage at least a minute).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gary Ballance might be a bad.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Cook scored a ton and Tredders took 3 wickets. England are the best again.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Couldn't even beat a village side. Garbage.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cricinfo headline: England dominate draw with weak hosts

I expect to see that three more times once the tests start.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goatface posted:

Gary Ballance might be a bad.

He's just been named as one of Wisden's 5 players of the year, along with Moeen, Lyth, Angelo Matthews and Jeetan Patel.

In other news, if anyone is intending to watch the IPL on ITV when it starts today, you can't. Sky have it now, so there's even less cricket on free TV.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I hope the IPL has another new sponsor for maximums.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Even Slater was good when he did a year with the ABC. Then it was off to Nine where he joined the chorus of gargling.

O'Keefe studied his poo poo, he'd stay up and watch "neutral" series so he'd have an idea of what was going on around the world of cricket (which is more than you can say about the Nine chookyard), I think maybe towards the end he decided he was losing his edge so he decided it was time to bow out. He'd go on one of his riffs, cut out of it to say something insightful about the actual cricket, and then go back to trolling Harsha or Aggers or whoever the poor visiting commentator was, without dropping a beat.

But yes, Jim Maxwell is the best. He sort of picked up the baton when McGilvray retired (so, basically, you've had two people heading the ABC's coverage during the whole era of radio broadcasting). I also enjoyed Glenn Mitchell until he had that breakdown, he could be a bit more brusque but generally he was pretty good.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Lungboy posted:

He's just been named as one of Wisden's 5 players of the year, along with Moeen, Lyth, Angelo Matthews and Jeetan Patel.

*Nicholas voice* That. Is. Very. Bad.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Commentary dream team: Slater, Healy, M Waugh, Hayden, Warne, Morrison, Botham. Led by Brayshaw.

Warne or Brayshaw (preferably both) must be in the booth at all times.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Airstream Driver posted:

Commentary dream team: Slater, Healy, M Waugh, Hayden, Warne, Morrison, Botham. Led by Brayshaw.

Warne or Brayshaw (preferably both) must be in the booth at all times.

Danny Morrison is actually extremely good.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

https://fantasy.iplt20.com/ifl/leagues/view/18743

Reminder to join the Śhrī KFC IPL Power Fantasy League for the glory of Pepsi Jagannatha.

Opening ceremony will begin in 1:30, will probably be mental. Auuuum

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bharatrocity posted:

Reminder to join the Śhrī KFC IPL Power Fantasy League for the glory of Pepsi Jagannatha.

The prize is 10 Lakh Rupees namaste.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Lungboy posted:

A Wisden player of the year is a worthless honour.

For context, you can only be named once in your career, and the only players eligible for the year must have played during the English test summer.

If a player is around long enough and is not completely terrible they will get one eventually.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

RideTheSpiral posted:

The prize is 10 Lakh Rupees namaste.

You've already won with your team name mate

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daniel Vettori has never been a cricketer of the year, but his longest suffering understudy has.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Bharatrocity posted:

How exactly do I join this league? I've got a team but it needs a code and there's no "join" button on the page you've linked to :(

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Daniel Vettori has never been a cricketer of the year, but his longest suffering understudy has.

As I said, worthless award.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

Danny Morrison is actually extremely good.

If you say so guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Paul Wiseman?