Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grendels Dad posted:

I seem to remember instances in other movies where people flip over tables and take cover behind them. Unless the scene takes place in a 90s Yuppie hangout where the tables are all chromed steel, this strikes me as a terrible idea.

I think the table flipping thing comes from cowboy movies where it kind of makes sense, because if it's pre-cartridge weapons, then chances are really good a couple of inches of oak will actually stop those things. As soon as you get into Colt Walker territory though, all that goes out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, even in the cartridge days it's still a good idea. Dude has maybe 6 shots and there's a few inches of oak in the way between you and him. Flip that fucker and lay down if it's a big table, or just flip it and get your side up against it, and there's less chance of getting killed immediately.

If you get shot, it's still gonna suck but the wood is gonna stop the bullet from going in as fast and doing as much damage.

Beats the poo poo outta standing there with nothing but air between you and him and having a 100% chance of getting ventilated.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Yeah but what's annoying is that it works with no complications if that is what an important guy in the story decides to do. That is sort of a problem of fiction but an action movie where the protagonist glides frictionlessly through any danger always strikes me as stupid. Sin City is real bad about this, it's like the world just off-camera is always rearranging itself for the benefit of the guy who talks like Philip Marlowe written by a 14-year-old

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hitler got saved by an oak table leg when they tried to blow him up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hell, even in the cartridge days it's still a good idea. Dude has maybe 6 shots and there's a few inches of oak in the way between you and him. Flip that fucker and lay down if it's a big table, or just flip it and get your side up against it, and there's less chance of getting killed immediately.

If you get shot, it's still gonna suck but the wood is gonna stop the bullet from going in as fast and doing as much damage.

Beats the poo poo outta standing there with nothing but air between you and him and having a 100% chance of getting ventilated.

Additionally to what swamp waste said, it's never just one guy with 6 shots. It's always a group of guys, and they have rifles and machine guns and bazookas. Unfortunately the only example I can think of right now is Desperado, and that movie doesn't really count in my mind (because it owns).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A White Guy posted:

So, I watched Interstellar last night, good musical score, great visuals.

I just want to choke the writers to death though. Really? We're running out of oxygen? Are you actually loving kidding me? I've seen disaster movies that with less awfully reasoned world enders than that. Or the scene where's she standing in the loving room like "I'm here, poo poo will just happen and I'll poo poo some solution out of my rear end in ten seconds" I get that it's supposed to be an opportunity for what's his face to right his wrongs but come the gently caress on.

Interstellar is a well-made film, with a terrible script. It's littered with dumb exposition ("maybe love is some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive"), manufactured dilemmas, characters pulling solutions out of their rear end and then later being ignorant of things they should have accounted for (e.g. time dilation). For an SF film that bathes in physics and high falutin' talk, it's remarkably stupid.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

outlier posted:

Interstellar is a well-made film, with a terrible script. It's littered with dumb exposition ("maybe love is some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive"), manufactured dilemmas, characters pulling solutions out of their rear end and then later being ignorant of things they should have accounted for (e.g. time dilation). For an SF film that bathes in physics and high falutin' talk, it's remarkably stupid.

Not just time dilation but when they visit that first planet with the huge gently caress-off waves they totally should've known what it would be like.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hitler got saved by an oak table leg when they tried to blow him up.

Are you upset with the plot of Valkyrie? If you are, it's based on a true story the movie from the 60s (?) is much better than the Tom cruise remake.

Edit: well, I obviously can't read context. I see now you were responding to the "tables can't stop bullets" conversation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A White Guy posted:

Watching Adam Sandler movies is soul destroying.

So, I watched Interstellar last night, good musical score, great visuals.

I just want to choke the writers to death though. Really? We're running out of oxygen? Are you actually loving kidding me? I've seen disaster movies that with less awfully reasoned world enders than that. Or the scene where's she standing in the loving room like "I'm here, poo poo will just happen and I'll poo poo some solution out of my rear end in ten seconds" I get that it's supposed to be an opportunity for what's his face to right his wrongs but come the gently caress on.

The whole script to Interstellar feels like they got some Hollywood writers, then hired some actual science people, asked the actual science people for the actual science so the plot would be accurate to science, everything came together pretty well.... and then the Hollywood writers decided to do a re-write to make it "flow better" or something and forgot to consult the scientists.

They need a huge multi-stage rocket ship to take off from Earth, but their little lander craft has enough power to escape from the water-planet which supposedly has many times Earth's gravity? How does that work exactly?

And then absolutely everything about the Tesseract and the dust and the whole "encoding the message into the watch" thing which just makes NO loving SENSE however you split it. He uses "gravity" to control the watch arm? How does that make any sense. Maybe he's altering time-space in order to warp the passage of time for the watch, sure, but then how does he "encode that to repeat forever" ?? That doesn't happen. Plus why doesn't he just write the loving answer down for her? Nope better use morse code on a watch because that's how Christopher Nolan thinks science works.

Reminds me, I just re-watched Event Horizon over the weekend, great film. But there's a really frustrating plot hole. They show up at the Event Horizon and its like "oh poo poo, ship's damaged, we better go to the Event Horizon instead of our ship." But then they're like "oh no, we only have enough oxygen to last on this ship 20 hours!!". What kind of sense does that make? They go on a mission to outer space, to unknown space and you only bring 24 hours worth of oxygen? Even if they had simply flown to the Event Horizon, saw that it was there, and flown back, they would have burned up all that oxygen and died. Bleh, I guess I'm nitpicking, but they make it into a plot point several times in the movie that "we're running out of time/oxygen!!!!" Because the movie needed some more tension.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Reminds me, I just re-watched Event Horizon over the weekend, great film. But there's a really frustrating plot hole. They show up at the Event Horizon and its like "oh poo poo, ship's damaged, we better go to the Event Horizon instead of our ship." But then they're like "oh no, we only have enough oxygen to last on this ship 20 hours!!". What kind of sense does that make? They go on a mission to outer space, to unknown space and you only bring 24 hours worth of oxygen? Even if they had simply flown to the Event Horizon, saw that it was there, and flown back, they would have burned up all that oxygen and died. Bleh, I guess I'm nitpicking, but they make it into a plot point several times in the movie that "we're running out of time/oxygen!!!!" Because the movie needed some more tension.

Wasn't there some damage to one or both ships? I can't remember offhand but it's possible that something messed up the oxygen stores.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buzkashi posted:

Wasn't there some damage to one or both ships? I can't remember offhand but it's possible that something messed up the oxygen stores.

There definitely was, that's why they moved from their ship to the Event Horizon, and then they decided to go back and sent the one dude to patch the ship with some ship patches.

But still, how does that work? Even if there was a catastrophic hole in the ship and they lost all their current oxygen, they should still have tanks and tanks of spare oxygen to make the trip back to Earth. They had to sit in stasis for a whole long time just to reach the Event Horizon in the first place.

The only explanation I could think of was that the explosion that damaged the ship also destroyed all the spare oxygen tanks, and they were left with only the partially-used oxygen tanks left to go off of, leaving them with 20 hours when they should have had days and days of oxygen. But I'm pretty sure they didn't mention anything like that. Maybe it got cut?

Or maybe the 20 hours thing was assuming the travel time back to Earth; they had 20 hours plus the travel time (which was maybe even several days?). Still, not much when you're on a super important space mission to save the ridiculously expensive Event Horizon.

Another thing I noticed, in the beginning of the movie they point out that losing the Event Horizon was the "worst space catastrophe in history" but then they later make it sound like they've lost lots of ships in space before.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I forget the exact timeline, but wasn't that after their ship was actually completely destroyed by a bomb, so all they had was the EH's oxygen stores? And/or the EH was depressurized and a much larger ship that the smaller ship had to pressurize from its own stores, plus damage/holes? (Again, it's been a long time since I've seen it)

Anyway, people in stasis don't need oxygen. If they only expected to sleep the whole way there, wake up, fix it, then sleep the whole way back they wouldn't need oxygen for the return trip.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Complaint about Furious 7:

Why on earth would you bring the God's Eye with you to that automated facility to take out Shaw. There's no need to bring it at all, in fact, Mose has the right idea, you carry it in a helicopter and use it to coordinate your drone/strike team with complete immunity.

And if you say, well the noise form a helicopter will tip him off, where the hell is he(Shaw) going to go? He can't hide from God's Eye, so you just keep chasing him. Yes, I know you bring it to setup the last action scenes back in LA but that's just incredibly dumb to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I forget the exact timeline, but wasn't that after their ship was actually completely destroyed by a bomb, so all they had was the EH's oxygen stores? And/or the EH was depressurized and a much larger ship that the smaller ship had to pressurize from its own stores, plus damage/holes? (Again, it's been a long time since I've seen it)

Anyway, people in stasis don't need oxygen. If they only expected to sleep the whole way there, wake up, fix it, then sleep the whole way back they wouldn't need oxygen for the return trip.

Nah, it was a complicated back and forth. They first get some damage, then they go to the EH, then they decide to go back (because gently caress the EH), then Dr. Alan Grant blows up their ship so they HAVE to stay on the EH. So it wasn't really hosed up until that last point, the part where they argue about running out of time is long before that.

The stasis oxygen thing makes sense but it still seems weird as gently caress they'd only bring 20 hours of oxygen for an unknown job which amounts to exploring and restoring a derelict wormhole space ship. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I thought the problem with the Event Horizon wasn't a lack of oxygen but an accumulation of CO2. Hence the woman trying to get the carbon scrubbers.

It's been a while though so idk.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Taeke posted:

Not just time dilation but when they visit that first planet with the huge gently caress-off waves they totally should've known what it would be like.
The larger-scale thing that bugged me in there was that - okay, leave aside fact that doing decades-long observation of planets for potential habitation when crisis on earth is imminent seems like a tremendous waste of time. Fine, whatever. But if you have apparently fully sentient robots, why don't you use them for the observation, instead of leaving single human beings to go insane from isolation?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

The larger-scale thing that bugged me in there was that - okay, leave aside fact that doing decades-long observation of planets for potential habitation when crisis on earth is imminent seems like a tremendous waste of time. Fine, whatever. But if you have apparently fully sentient robots, why don't you use them for the observation, instead of leaving single human beings to go insane from isolation?

Their love of humanity was supposed to keep them going if their stasis pods ran out of juice. I'm only slightly joking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

syscall girl posted:

I thought the problem with the Event Horizon wasn't a lack of oxygen but an accumulation of CO2. Hence the woman trying to get the carbon scrubbers.

It's been a while though so idk.

Yeah you're right but its the same difference. Just pretend I said carbon scrubbers all along instead of oxygen tanks.

Strudel Man posted:

Didn't Dr. Matt Damon, Medicine Mann have his own robot that was broken or something? So they sent people AND robots, just to be dicks.

But yeah that whole Tidal wave thing was so stupid. I actually really really like all the "relativity as a plot point" mechanics, like how they landed on the ship effectively seconds after the probe did, so it hadn't had time to tell them "don't come here after all it sucks", that's really cool. But then they don't notice the gigantic waves while they were landing? Comeon.

Its the same as the crew from Prometheus. Team of super-scientists goes to an alien planet they've never been to before.... and then completely stops acting like scientists whatsoever and instead acts like fratboys visiting the beach. Maybe you wanna take some loving readings before you go outside? :shrug: At least in Interstellar it made sense they were in a huge rush, so they may have overlooked some things. In Prometheus there's no reason why they shouldn't just take their time.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Apr 6, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

But then they don't notice the gigantic waves while they were landing? Comeon.

They did, the one guy said he thought they were mountains. :downs:

quote:

And then absolutely everything about the Tesseract and the dust and the whole "encoding the message into the watch" thing which just makes NO loving SENSE however you split it. He uses "gravity" to control the watch arm? How does that make any sense. Maybe he's altering time-space in order to warp the passage of time for the watch, sure, but then how does he "encode that to repeat forever" ?? That doesn't happen. Plus why doesn't he just write the loving answer down for her? Nope better use morse code on a watch because that's how Christopher Nolan thinks science works.

The whole movie is Not 2001 and that's when Not Dave Bowman went through the Not-Monolith. It's for all intents and purposes magic at that point, the magic spell being some bullshit about gravity. He doesn't just write it down because that's not the anomaly he saw happen.

quote:

It's littered with dumb exposition ("maybe love is some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive"), manufactured dilemmas, characters pulling solutions out of their rear end and then later being ignorant of things they should have accounted for (e.g. time dilation).

You can understand something on an intellectual level and still not be mentally prepared for it. Like Matt Damon.

quote:

Another thing I noticed, in the beginning of the movie they point out that losing the Event Horizon was the "worst space catastrophe in history" but then they later make it sound like they've lost lots of ships in space before.

Lots of boats sunk before the Titanic, it's probably like that. Laurence Fishburne's crew were a repair and rescue outfit weren't they?

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 6, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Didn't Dr. Matt Damon, Medicine Mann have his own robot that was broken or something? So they sent people AND robots, just to be dicks.
It wasn't broken, he broke it, because it wasn't going to go along with his fabrication of evidence. Which even better emphasizes the point.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can understand something on an intellectual level and still not be mentally prepared for it. Like Matt Damon.
Nah, that's another great example of how terrible the movie's writing is. The conversation should just go, "One hour there will take us seven years? Well, since our mission is time-sensitive, it's obviously not an option. Next planet." That's it. Even a best-case scenario there would involve wasting ridiculous amounts of time.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Lots of boats sunk before the Titanic, it's probably like that. Laurence Fishburne's crew were a repair and rescue outfit weren't they?

Yes. Also the Lewis and Clark has a seven-man crew and is about 100 times smaller than the Event Horizon; even allowing for the interstellar drive, it implies a much larger crew.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, that's another great example of how terrible the movie's writing is. The conversation should just go, "One hour there will take us seven years? Well, since our mission is time-sensitive, it's obviously not an option. Next planet." That's it. Even a best-case scenario there would involve wasting ridiculous amounts of time.

I forget why they went there first, didn't they ignore one (the right one) because Anne Hathaway's boyfriend was on it and McConaughey was being a poo poo and the other was too far out or something so it was the best one besides that?

e: Something about fuel?

quote:

It wasn't broken, he broke it, because it wasn't going to go along with his fabrication of evidence. Which even better emphasizes the point.

The robots explicitly cannot do what the humans can do, though.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I forget why they went there first, didn't they ignore one (the right one) because Anne Hathaway's boyfriend was on it and McConaughey was being a poo poo and the other was too far out or something so it was the best one besides that?

e: Something about fuel?
I didn't catch the reasons, really. I just know that they talked about the time dilation right then, but didn't seem to acknowledge the incredibly glaring consequences. Including the fact that the guy they sent down wouldn't actually have been there very long at all. Which is odd in its own right - weren't they giving reports or something? Was the guy just hammering the "it's great down here" button every minute, local time, for the monthly reports to home base?

quote:

The robots explicitly cannot do what the humans can do, though.
The only person I remember saying anything like that is the guy who went nuts and killed his robot. As far as what we actually see goes, the robots are very competent and aware.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

As far as I'm concerned the robots were the best thing in that movie other than the visual effects.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

Reminds me, I just re-watched Event Horizon over the weekend, great film.

There's a common one in horror movies that bugs me.

That's the ship's engine. In-universe, it's supposed to be a completely innocuous thing, it makes the ship go. But because this is a horror movie, and the ship needs to be evil, the engine has to visually look like something that just exudes an aura of ickiness and "gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the next ship."

Seriously, look at that thing. Even beyond the random spiky projections all around that would, like, hurt you real bad if you slipped and fell, and the multiple unscreened moving parts that would mangle you in at least three different axes if you hit some turbulence at speed, even the lighting is really poo poo. You can't just have a shitload of fluorescent overheads to make it easy to see? No, you can't, because it's a horror movie and you need all sorts of dark shadowy alcoves for poo poo to jump out at you. It's just an *engine*, it doesn't need to *look* like an object of nameless dread.

It'd be like if in the movie _Christine_, Artie's character lifts up the hood, and instead of a 5.2-liter V8, the car is powered by a severed human head, or a bucket of dead cats or something, and nobody else in the film is bothered by this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wasn't the Event Horizon's engine like a super weird thing that everyone but Sam Neil thought was hosed up? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I swear there was a scene in the engine room where someone was like "What the gently caress is that thing?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Wasn't the Event Horizon's engine like a super weird thing that everyone but Sam Neil thought was hosed up? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I swear there was a scene in the engine room where someone was like "What the gently caress is that thing?"

Yeah, I thought the whole point was the ship came back "possessed" and everything was subtly (or even grossly) altered and all that was left of the crew was buckets of blood and the occasional bits and pieces.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I swear this came up in another thread about movies recently. The Event Horizon was way less creepy with all the bright happy actual lights on, it was dark and spooky with the emergency stuff only. Also with it being alive and possessed and evil. It wasn't designed or originally that way. The part where they show the video logs of the crew before they went to the happy fun no eyes dimension makes the Event Horizon look like a pretty normal ship.

The movie has very few, if any, plot holes. It's a silly space horror thing that shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's very internally consistent.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
They shouldn't have hired the guy who made the Hellraiser puzzle box to design a spaceship, basically.

It was a bad call.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strudel Man posted:

I didn't catch the reasons, really. I just know that they talked about the time dilation right then, but didn't seem to acknowledge the incredibly glaring consequences. Including the fact that the guy they sent down wouldn't actually have been there very long at all. Which is odd in its own right - weren't they giving reports or something? Was the guy just hammering the "it's great down here" button every minute, local time, for the monthly reports to home base?

They acknowledged the effects and that they could spare that period of time to check if it was a good planet iirc. They all knew it'd be a long trip. They didn't expect the waves (which actually is dumb, how do you mistake that for a mountain), and it didn't occur to them until after the fact that the reports would be sent back with similar dilation. They were getting automated reports from years ago and the person died the minute they got there.

fake edit: Oh maybe because of the dilation effects the waves appeared to not be moving as they landed? Though I guess as they got closer they'd start to appear to move anyway.

quote:

The only person I remember saying anything like that is the guy who went nuts and killed his robot. As far as what we actually see goes, the robots are very competent and aware.

I was referring to the "that's impossible!" "no it's necessary!" bit, but the robot design appears to have certain limitations anyway.

quote:

Yeah, I thought the whole point was the ship came back "possessed" and everything was subtly (or even grossly) altered and all that was left of the crew was buckets of blood and the occasional bits and pieces.

Yeah it's the Doom thing where the engine basically goes through Hell to get to wherever.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you're right but its the same difference. Just pretend I said carbon scrubbers all along instead of oxygen tanks.

But yeah that whole Tidal wave thing was so stupid. I actually really really like all the "relativity as a plot point" mechanics, like how they landed on the ship effectively seconds after the probe did, so it hadn't had time to tell them "don't come here after all it sucks", that's really cool. But then they don't notice the gigantic waves while they were landing? Comeon.

Its the same as the crew from Prometheus. Team of super-scientists goes to an alien planet they've never been to before.... and then completely stops acting like scientists whatsoever and instead acts like fratboys visiting the beach. Maybe you wanna take some loving readings before you go outside? :shrug: At least in Interstellar it made sense they were in a huge rush, so they may have overlooked some things. In Prometheus there's no reason why they shouldn't just take their time.

The Prometheus crew really wasn't a bunch of super scientists though. The main team was really archeologists, the geologist and biologist were disposable scrubs. The main mission of getting Weyland to the Engineers didn't really give a poo poo about anything but that. Everyone who was focused on keeping Weyland alive and getting him to the Engineers did a fantastic job until they bashed his brains in

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Strudel Man posted:

Why did they even have to land? Saying "yeah that whole planet is ocean" should be something you do before you park your ship in the middle of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's kind of dumb, but it was exciting, and it was fairly well explained.

There was only one OK signal ever sent and some property of the planet/black hole made it echo/seem to repeat over and over so they thought the place was OK.

The waves were so far away they were nearly over the horizon in all directions when the lander went down, and it's not like the ship had Star Trek scanners and computers to figure out weird poo poo that no one had ever seen before. The time dilation made them move like one billimeter a day and they seemed like stationary objects from outside the gravity well.

They went down to the all-water planet because their previous scientist was (they thought) still down there pushing the OK button.

The mission was not supposed to take as long as it did - it was supposed to be in and out, grab and go, but they went surfing and had to dry the engines and that's what made it take so long - they knew there would be time dilation, they just didn't expect to be there that long.

Now, the lander escaping that gravity well implies some supertech they never really explained, but Prof Alfred was working on a gravity drive, so who knows - there might be a barely plausible explanation, but not mentioning it on camera even offhand is problematic, to be sure.

That is a legit complaint. Most of it does belong in this thread, though. irrationally irritating

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

I know it's kind of dumb, but it was exciting, and it was fairly well explained.

There was only one OK signal ever sent and some property of the planet/black hole made it echo/seem to repeat over and over so they thought the place was OK.

The waves were so far away they were nearly over the horizon in all directions when the lander went down, and it's not like the ship had Star Trek scanners and computers to figure out weird poo poo that no one had ever seen before. The time dilation made them move like one billimeter a day and they seemed like stationary objects from outside the gravity well.

They went down to the all-water planet because their previous scientist was (they thought) still down there pushing the OK button.

The mission was not supposed to take as long as it did - it was supposed to be in and out, grab and go, but they went surfing and had to dry the engines and that's what made it take so long - they knew there would be time dilation, they just didn't expect to be there that long.

Now, the lander escaping that gravity well implies some supertech they never really explained, but Prof Alfred was working on a gravity drive, so who knows - there might be a barely plausible explanation, but not mentioning it on camera even offhand is problematic, to be sure.

That is a legit complaint. Most of it does belong in this thread, though. irrationally irritating

NASA's been dreaming of an SSTO for decades now. Basically the idea is to use conventional means to get up to speed and then start scooping up the compressed air and lighting it up for thrust. Maybe even put some in holding tanks for the next time down, why not?

None of the tech really seems to fit the timeline. Do they have to charge the robots is probably not a question for good filmmaking unless it's a plot point though.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

syscall girl posted:

They shouldn't have hired the guy who made the Hellraiser puzzle box to design a spaceship, basically.

It was a bad call.

It came out ok when they asked him to turn it down a bit for the engine room in Mass Effect 2.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

There's a common one in horror movies that bugs me.

That's the ship's engine. In-universe, it's supposed to be a completely innocuous thing, it makes the ship go. But because this is a horror movie, and the ship needs to be evil, the engine has to visually look like something that just exudes an aura of ickiness and "gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the next ship."

Seriously, look at that thing. Even beyond the random spiky projections all around that would, like, hurt you real bad if you slipped and fell, and the multiple unscreened moving parts that would mangle you in at least three different axes if you hit some turbulence at speed, even the lighting is really poo poo.

So I think there was a thread somewhere else talking about this movie, where they brought up that the engine was based on something called a Throne from the book of revelations. The comparison is pretty clear.

The book of revelations is some mind bending horror as well, so the reference is apt.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

DecentHairJelly posted:

Watching the trailer for the new Mad Max movie reminded me of something. At the end of The Road Warrior, what was The Humungus hoping to achieve by driving head on into a semi truck? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Lord Humungus, being the true king of the wasteland that he was, martyred himself so his tribe could get the guzzoline. Truly, Max was the monster.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cheerfullydrab posted:

happy fun no eyes dimension

I came across this saved recently, thought I might share.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Lord Humungus, being the true king of the wasteland that he was, martyred himself so his tribe could get the guzzoline. Truly, Max was the monster.

Our one true Lord even offered Max the chance to "Just walk away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Frogfingers posted:

So I think there was a thread somewhere else talking about this movie, where they brought up that the engine was based on something called a Throne from the book of revelations. The comparison is pretty clear.

The book of revelations is some mind bending horror as well, so the reference is apt.

A Throne's an angel, they're actually mentioned in Colossians and in the book of Daniel. As a long-lapsed Catholic I can tell you there's a whole hierarchy of those things. Seraphim -> Cherubim -> Thrones -> Dominions -> Virtues -> Powers -> Principalities -> Archangels -> Angels.

And yeah, Thrones are weird-looking. Of course, it's not like cherubim are exactly normal.