Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

if the officer in Laguna sequence 1 is really irrelevant, then why bother putting him in at all?

I've always seen it as flavour text. A soldier getting jealous/ annoyed at another soldiers unprofessionalism. I mean imagine an SAS commando running on stage in a hotel bar, getting cramp and then wandering off. It'd be crazy if people didn't comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Weavered posted:

I've always seen it as flavour text. A soldier getting jealous/ annoyed at another soldiers unprofessionalism. I mean imagine an SAS commando running on stage in a hotel bar, getting cramp and then wandering off. It'd be crazy if people didn't comment.

It's also possible red soldier exists to demonstrate that Julia is popular with the army (explaining, possibly, why Caraway knew about her) and Laguna's a total scrub, both of which are true. Since red soldier did not ask Laguna to go into a pointless dungeon and return with a plot token before talking to Julia, I'd say he's clearly not associated with Caraway. :v:

I don't think the story changes in any major degree either way. And from what we're all learning, if Caraway did plot to get rid of Laguna, FF8 will tell us ... in three discs. So let's all come back to this question in six months.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I had no idea those soldiers were even in Winhill to talk to.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Psion posted:

in three discs

You had the secret 5-disc version? :v:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

You had the secret 5-disc version? :v:

I think Psion meant including this one, since we just started on Disc 2.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ramengank posted:

I think Psion meant including this one, since we just started on Disc 2.

I know. It was a lazy throwaway joke.

I won't defend the game's writing as a pinnacle of storytelling or anything, but I think it's better than a lot of people give it credit for, and this section is an example of that.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Iretep posted:

It's probably pretty clear at this point but I'll point out that General Caraway was probably the one who sent Laguna to Esther in the first place.

I could see why you might draw this conclusion, and it wouldn't be a radical new plot beat, but I have to disagree completely. I think that having Caraway set Laguna up to lose Julia like that would really undercut not just this scene, but the rest of Laguna's arc and a big plot point of the game. I can't go into it any more than that because of spoilers, though.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Laguna was hands down my favorite character in this game. He's a goofball, but a completely loveable goofball, and from how Raine and Kiros talk about him, you can tell he brightens their day. No matter the trouble he managed to get Kiros and Ward into, they clearly love hanging out with him.

And the scenes with Ellone are priceless. They could easily be saccharin with her childish speech mannerisms, but they're not - they're heartwarming, because of how much fun it is to watch Laguna play with her, to both be an adult guardian and also her co-conspirator. (The "I got in trouble" reverse seals it.) They love each other like family, and the game manages to make this warm and real. Winhill might be my favorite part of the game.

It'd be easy to contrast Laguna with the main male cast with regards to how he can be both responsible and a joker at the same time, but it's horribly unfair. Laguna is an adult, and while he doesn't have everything figured out by any means, he's comfortable enough with who he is to be able to laugh at himself. Would that we all could be so at ease with ourselves; I can't fault the main cast for not being there yet, especially as a lot of people never manage it.

Which is all to say - the NPCs range from liking Laguna to thinking of him as family, to outright loving him. The game shows this so well that I, too, end up falling for Laguna, in a way that I don't for the main cast. Maybe because I played the game first as someone older than the main cast? Or perhaps, even if I can identify with the issues besetting the main cast, Laguna's infectious love of life is what I aspire to (even if I'm not good at it), and love to see in the people around me. What I wish to be instead of what I am?

Anyways - I look forward to seeing more of Laguna's story, and Cool Ghost showing what I missed when I was playing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love Laguna. I love The Man with the Machine Gun, I love his Limit Break, I loved this sequence, all of it. He's such a nice change of pace and such a fun part of the game. It's all for the purpose of saying "Yeah that was bleak, so let's give you a break." Sometimes Laguna comes off like a moron, but it's never grating. Here's my question. Is the guy's name Caraway Heartilly? Cause I kinda thought his last name was Caraway. Which if it is, how did Rinoa end up as Rinoa Heartilly and not Rinoa Caraway? Did I miss something?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

General Caraway's last name is Caraway and his first name is unknown (or General :v:).

Julia's last name is Heartilly. Rinoa takes her mother's name. Although I don't think Rinoa's last name (or Squall's) is ever actually mentioned in the game proper. Probably to facilitate ~renaming them~ or some such bullshit.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Here's my question. Is the guy's name Caraway Heartilly? Cause I kinda thought his last name was Caraway. Which if it is, how did Rinoa end up as Rinoa Heartilly and not Rinoa Caraway? Did I miss something?

Congratulations! You've put more thought into the plot of the game than the writers did.

I'm not sure this is ever explained, or even mentioned in the game. Assume it's Riona being pissy to dad again.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Vil posted:

General Caraway's last name is Caraway and his first name is unknown (or General :v:).

Julia's last name is Heartilly. Rinoa takes her mother's name. Although I don't think Rinoa's last name (or Squall's) is ever actually mentioned in the game proper. Probably to facilitate ~renaming them~ or some such bullshit.

According to the wiki, Caraway's first name is Fury, and was revealed in the Ultimania.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Rinoa, being the teenager, probably changed her last name to that of her mother's on account of running a resistance group.

Either she hates her old man and everything he stands for, or she did it because she thought it would make it harder for authorities to link the two together. Hell, maybe both.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Technical Analysis posted:

Rinoa, being the teenager, probably changed her last name to that of her mother's on account of running a resistance group.
You're never too old to change your name if your father's name is "General Fury Caraway".

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Technical Analysis posted:

I get the vibe that she just goes by her mother's name because of how her relationship is with her father. I honestly doubt that the resistance group thing happened as a direct result of them not getting along. more that it's just one more thing they don't agree on.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Wipfmetz posted:

You're never too old to change your name if your father's name is "General Fury Caraway".

What the hell kind of parents names their kid "Fury" anyways? But yeah, I think Rinoa just did it so she couldn't be linked back to her father.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Silegna posted:

What the hell kind of parents names their kid "Fury" anyways? But yeah, I think Rinoa just did it so she couldn't be linked back to her father.

Certainly not the angsty type. Maybe that's why Riona cant resist Squall's 'charm', Squall's totally matter of fact and his coolness goes totally against generations of Carraway high spirits and drama. "Sure you can have your Easter Egg my darling, once you've popped down to the gloomy dungeon, guarded by a family of angry, evil beasts to collect them."

There's no evidence in game to support this theory but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to accept this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was that comment about Ward being mute actually from the game? If so, that's hilarious.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Was that comment about Ward being mute actually from the game? If so, that's hilarious.
I'm pretty sure the comment is there, but I'm not sure how it's funny.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Weavered posted:

"Sure you can have your Easter Egg my darling, once you've popped down to the gloomy dungeon, guarded by a family of angry, evil beasts to collect them."

There's no evidence in game to support this theory but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to accept this.

I now have an image of the parents of Deling City sending all their kids into the Tomb of the Unknown King to get their easter eggs. Every year, at least one gets horribly lost in the maze and they don't find them for a week, and their parents laments not buying them the map and locator.

Kheldam: So the ID is from the Easter Celebration Registration, and they use it to find out who's missing at the end of the day so they can post a touching memorial of those who didn't make it? Can we make this Fan Canon?

NothingToFyr fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 7, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NothingToFyr posted:

I now have an image of the parents of Deling City sending all their kids into the Tomb of the Unknown King to get their easter eggs. Every year, at least one gets horribly lost in the maze and they don't find them for a week, and their parents laments not buying them the map and locator.

That's who you're really getting the ID of.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Are there any surnames which aren't the child's mother's in this game? It might just be the way it is in the FFVIII universe.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Strong Convections posted:

Are there any surnames which aren't the child's mother's in this game? It might just be the way it is in the FFVIII universe.

Squall Leonhart

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hyord posted:

Squall Leonhart

To be fair, the only reason his, and the last names of the other main party characters (except Rinoa), aren't is because they were all orphans. At least one of them (Zell) got adopted

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Kilonum posted:

To be fair, the only reason his, and the last names of the other main party characters (except Rinoa), aren't is because they were all orphans. At least one of them (Zell) got adopted

But of the orphans, Squall is the only one who's biological mother is known, and they don't share a last name

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Could you guys maybe not post that? The entire point of no spoilers threads is to avoid black bar chat and people accidentally having major plot elements spoiled.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

At least make an effort to signpost whether it's a major or minor spoiler. It isn't hard and black barring the whole thing is just lazy. For example:

Minor spoiler for disk two Squall was hurt by that big rear end frost thing

loving major, experience destroying spoiler!!!1!one!! Click if you dareSquall is actually trans and is the reason for all his brooding and his luscious hair

Weavered fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kajeesus posted:

Could you guys maybe not post that? The entire point of no spoilers threads is to avoid black bar chat and people accidentally having major plot elements spoiled.

:agreed:

Also I never knew Carraway's first name, I'm sure he was promoted to General after his success in Cobra Unit. :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm a little behind the LP in my ridonkulously overpowered playthrough (based on the advice of ApplesandOranges and others), and man, the Galbadian continent is huge. Maybe...too huge? It's not that bad when you've grinded and have Enc-None, but drat. Curious how the game pretty much funnels you via trains so you barely see the big empty wasteland. I wonder if they were trying to encourage you to use cars more? Maybe they intended to put more there? Maybe they just wanted it to "look" epic?

The Balamb region is the exact opposite. Pretty tight, with just the Fire Cavern, the Garden and the town. But still has a road, beaches, forests, and everything is visible. Comparatively Galbadia so far in the LP has the same number of locations - Timber, the Garden and Deling City with varying terrain but there's miles and miles between them.

You can revisit Dollet as soon as you leave Timber, but Cool Ghost chose not to show that. Maybe later? There's another place you can visit and get turned away from at the door. I think there might be one more location that's been mentioned by NPCs in the LP, but I haven't trekked out there myself. I'd bet you can't even "enter" it from the world map, anyway.

I really like how the world map has trains going by when you're on foot. Also it's weird how them and the giant tunnel under Deling are basically bigger than the city itself.

As for my quest for game-breakage? I killed the hell out of the Dollet spiderbot, having finally figured out how you can get the 50AP from it repeatedly.
I had kept Squall at level 8 right up until I had to get Ammo Refine by levelling Ifrit, and ended up at level 17. (I realised far too late that I could have KO'd Squall and switched out party members to even the levels out more.)
Now I'm junctioning with Tornado, Meltdown, Triple, Curaga, Death and others AND I got Squall's ultimate weapon, which combined with Str+20%, 40%and 60% gets me to the max of 255 Str! Yay, overpowering! It's fun to see Zell's punches doing 50 damage while Squall busts out 4,000.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I really like how the world map has trains going by when you're on foot. Also it's weird how them and the giant tunnel under Deling are basically bigger than the city itself.

Welcome to JRPG world map proportions.

VagueRant posted:

I'm a little behind the LP in my ridonkulously overpowered playthrough (based on the advice of ApplesandOranges and others), and man, the Galbadian continent is huge. Maybe...too huge? It's not that bad when you've grinded and have Enc-None, but drat. Curious how the game pretty much funnels you via trains so you barely see the big empty wasteland. I wonder if they were trying to encourage you to use cars more? Maybe they intended to put more there? Maybe they just wanted it to "look" epic?

The Balamb region is the exact opposite. Pretty tight, with just the Fire Cavern, the Garden and the town. But still has a road, beaches, forests, and everything is visible. Comparatively Galbadia so far in the LP has the same number of locations - Timber, the Garden and Deling City with varying terrain but there's miles and miles between them.

This is pretty much true of a lot of maps. there's a bunch of the FF7 and FF9 continents, for example, that don't have much going on between places.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Thirty-Two: Monster Hunter

Well, it's time for Laguna and Kiros to get to work.

Here's a fun fact: in these sequences, Kiros and Ward usually have junctions already set, but Kiros doesn't here. It's easy to not check that and get a surprise when you get in a fight.

Lines like these are nice little displays of Laguna's life in Winhill. They're also very sweet. :3:

Unfortunately, to go to work, we have to leave the pub. This is also a problem I face in real life.

At the bridge, Kiros starts a conversation.

: What exactly do you do here?
: It's like this. All the working men in this town were sent off to war. The only ones still left in town are old people, children, chocobos, dogs, and cats. And I'm sure you've noticed, but the monsters have made their way into town. This here town took real good care of me. So basically, I want to return the kindness.

Laguna is very proud of himself for this.

: So as of today, you'll be my assistant. We're to patrol the town up to the town entrance! If we see anyone in need along the way, we help them! That's our basic duty!

As useful as it is, and as amusing as it is to be the "monster hunter" while not hunting any monsters, it would be bad manners, so Enc-None is off for this one.

I still have Tornado junctioned to Str here, so Laguna's pretty powerful. The enemies around here aren't very tough anyway, though, so it's just overkill.

To make sure they got EXP, I just dumped all the GFs that weren't junctioned to Laguna off on Kiros.

I also used some old Abyss Worm cards I had lying around and made some Tornados for the guy.

poo poo, might as well, right?

And we're off!

Winhill is a very scenic place. Shots like this would be great in a modern game, I think.

Along the way, we can pop into this flower shop.

: Thanks to everyone in town!
Old Woman: This town here must be quite dull for a young man like yourself. Perhaps it's time you returned to Deling City?

There's nothing else to do in the flower shop, but there's a Drain draw point over here.

Drain is okay on Vit or Spr, and it can be a semi-useful utility spell in a pinch, I guess. It can also be junctioned to your attacks to make them heal you.

Over here, we can see the huge-rear end moon.

I also got into a random encounter. The enemies in Winhill are the same weak enemies we saw around Balamb Garden, and they still absolutely suck.

A Caterchipillar can't even have 1,170 HP until level 33.

There's a truck here, but we can't do anything with it. Probably something good underneath if we could move it, though.

This carriage isn't looking so hot, though.

Here's another encounter you can have in Winhill: Caterchipillar with Bite Bugs. Bite Bugs won't break 1,000 HP before level 58, they fuckin' suck. Like I said, enemies in Winhill are nothing to worry about.

At the end of the road is downtown Winhill.

There's nobody in this house.

And there's nobody in the hotel, either. Like Laguna said, there aren't a lot of people left around town.

Going upstairs, there are some nice flowers, but still no people.

It's just past there that we finish the patrol.

: We're to report to the commander and asst. commander.
: Commander... You mean that woman at the pub?
: Her name's Raine. Raine, OK!? She saved my life. And the asst. commander is Ellone.
: She seems like a really nice person. But easily taken in by a hotshot.
: A hotshot? OK, let's step up our patrol a notch. Asst. Kiros, let's come up with a plan after we get back to the base.

And now we just have to get back to the pub.

First, though, we can stop at this shop.

As you might gather from this, Laguna isn't really well-liked in Winhill.

: I just wanna chat.
Store Owner: ...How's Raine?
: Uhh, she's doing fine.
Store Owner: That's good. But it'd be even better if you left!

Like I said. They don't go into it really in-depth, but it's probably because he's a Galbadian soldier. The Galbadians aren't really popular.

Even though they hate Laguna, they like Raine, so they'll let him shop.

Too bad I'm Laguna right now, so I don't have any goddamn gil to buy Tents with. Now I'll never get more Curagas that I don't really need.

It's good to have manners when you don't have gil.

Now to run back across Winhill.

Partway back, Kiros took some hits and dropped to critical HP.

Due to this, I can fire off his Limit.

Blood Pain makes the screen turn into a rave while Kiros goes nuts on an enemy for six hits. The hits are slightly higher-powered than the hits in Squall's Renzokuken.

SquarEnix were so impressed by this display that they learned a new ability.

Their major ability set is the HP+ abilities (20%, 40%, 80%), which lead to HP Bonus. They can be very useful later on.

On the next screen is Winhill's famous Chocobo crossing.

It's pretty much impossible to see a Chocobo crossing sign and not have a chat about it.

: Are you doing this patrol thing everyday?
: 'Thing'!? What're you callin' 'THING'!?
: Weren't you aiming to become a world-travelling journalist? You've heard of 'Timber Maniacs', right? I had a talk with the chief editor. He said he's interested in any article related to world travel.
: That's great!
: We should go talk to him sometime.

This line is a pretty good summary of the point of this section. Laguna looking away when Kiros asks about journalism is a pretty stark contrast to how he talked about it with Julia, rambling about it and about how his letter to the editor got published. Our man Laguna is settling down.

We're almost back to the pub.

At the crossroads, Laguna starts the conversation back up.

: You need time to gather more material? This seems like a really nice town. You're gonna write about this place first, aren't you?
: No way. Can't make this place famous. Too much publicity and you get all those tourists and stuff.
: You're afraid someone might come and take Raine away? Laguna, you've changed, man.

Kiros is starting to get it.

Laguna hasn't changed completely, though.

He runs all the way back to town (about half a screen).

And hey, there even was a monster there. Would ya look at that?

Getting back to the pub, it looks like nobody's around.

I guess they've gone upstairs.

: (Girl talk... Let's come back later.)

Kiros shakes his head at Laguna wanting to leave. I guess someone has no manners.

: (Come on!)
: (Something inside tells me to listen.)

:sigh: Looks like we're just stuck here eavesdropping and bein' rude.

So that's the story of how Raine and Laguna met. How romantic.

Raine seems to have some trepidations about the L-Man.

Ellone: Raine, Uncle Laguna and Elle should all be together!

Ellone has a powerful counter-argument.

Raine: I think what he really wants to do is travel all over the world. I don't think he has it in him to live in a quiet country town like this one. Some people are like that...

As I pointed out earlier, Laguna likes living with Raine in Winhill, but it sounds like he's conflicted.

Understandably, this is frustrating for Raine.

Ellone doesn't really understand, because she's just a kid.

Also, you can see here that Laguna and Kiros have ducked down to avoid being seen.

It sort of works.

Laguna pretends to have just run back.

Ellone, at least, is fooled.

: I came back in a hurry!

For whatever reason, the game gives you control after that line, so you can run downstairs for no reason.

Ellone has nothing very useful to say, so it's over to Raine to move things along.

I like Laguna's pose here.

Yes, that's a real count of monsters killed, and yes, if you have Enc-None, he proudly announces 0.

Raine is happy with the results either way.

Raine: Shall we eat before you get started with the next patrol? I'll call you when it's ready, so just wait in your room. You seem pretty tired. You should take a quick nap.

I've been waiting for that order since the SeeD exam.

And now it's back to Laguna's place.

There's no real point in not resting. Unless you feel a strong need to go fight some random encounters, I guess.

: Hm? What's the matter?

: Scared of waking up somewhere else... Scared of not seeing Ellone...
: Scared of not seeing Raine?

: Oh, please let it be this room when I wake up! Please let me be in this puny bed when I wake up!
: Laguna, you've changed.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 1, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

Drain is okay on Vit or Spr, and it can be a semi-useful utility spell in a pinch, I guess. Unfortunately, it can't be junctioned to your attacks to make them heal you.

I was almost positive you could junction it to status attack and have it drain enemies' HP, but maybe I'm just mistaken.

Laguna really does get some excellent development in this chapter, and it's definitely one of the high points of the writing in the game.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

morallyobjected posted:

I was almost positive you could junction it to status attack and have it drain enemies' HP, but maybe I'm just mistaken.

Whoops, you're right, I misread the chart. That's what I get for trying to read while I'm tired.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always thought that nobody in Winhill liked Laguna other than Raine and Ellone. The only natives you meet are the flower shop lady and the store guy, and they both tell Laguna to bugger off, even if the former is more polite about it.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Cool Ghost posted:

And there's nobody in the hotel, either. Like Laguna said, there aren't a lot of people left around town.

One really strange, easy to miss detail in this screen. Look at the map on the back wall by the stairs. Yep, there's a map of the actual world, not the game world.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I really like the Laguna parts of the game. He's such a lovable doofus :3:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Winhill really feels like the small town start of an RPG, like if Laguna had his own game.

I dig Raine's overlapping complaints. Again, seeming a much more relatable romance than, say, Squall and Rinoa.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re-reading the update now:

"I can't stand his snoring and talking in his sleep."

Not-so-subtly implies Raine and Laguna are already an item.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
An easily missed thing here is that Kiros is technically swapped with Irvine here (which you can check using GF compatibility).

Winhill is a really great, cute segment that solidified why the Laguna sequence proves SE knew how to write a decent love story... too bad they don't really use the same talent later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mikl posted:

Re-reading the update now:

"I can't stand his snoring and talking in his sleep."

Not-so-subtly implies Raine and Laguna are already an item.

She's been taking care of him while he's been sick. Watching someone sleep is usually part of that.

• Locked thread