Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I can actually understand and kinda get behind the Ted Kord thing, assuming they're planning to use Jaime Reyes for something. Having two Blue Beetles that are pretty much unrelated in every possible way would actually be a lot more confusing than having a movie Deadshot and a TV Deadshot that are pretty much the same dude.

And why bother using Ted Kord as DC's Dollar Store Iron Man if you don't call him the Blue Beetle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

JohnSherman posted:

Since this is SA, ridiculous hyperbole has propagated to the point that people are honestly under the assumption that the CW would cancel The Flash because DC is coming out with a Flash movie.

SA hyperbole still generates more accurate predictions than generalist internet hyperbole. Never forget that.

e;

Deadpool posted:

My problem isn't with Snyder, it's with Goyer.

You've convinced me. Who do I write to so that this can be changed?

Fan response this early in production can have some effect.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Embargoes aren't new. DC has pretty famously been lovely to their creative teams for the past decade or so - read a few interviews with Greg Rucka (creator of Nyssa and a bunch of other great things) to get a firsthand account of how terrible DC is at managing their creative talent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nyssa's not really a great creation.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They used to pull this poo poo all the time with the Justice League cartoon, which couldn't use Batman villains after a certain point because they had that shifty The Batman show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should make Diggle a new Sandman. Give him a knock out gun and sleeping gas and cool gas mask.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If everyone is so loving hot for Diggle to be John Stewart they can turn him into Darkstar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They'll just kill off Barry and season 5-on will be about Wally.

Alternatively, is it possible that the Flash movie will have Ezra Miller playing Wally?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Wally is black/biracial in the New 52 (is the new 52 still a thing?) so depending on how much faith you have in DC to not literally cast a white dude as a black character, I doubt it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BreakAtmo posted:

Alternatively, is it possible that the Flash movie will have Ezra Miller playing Wally?

Fairly certain it was confirmed as Barry in the film from day 1.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure it came out that DC made wally black in New 52 on the request of the Flash CW creative team.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Valeyard posted:

All he needs is sword arrows

Regular arrows are already sword arrows. :smuggo:

I'd be all for that quantum arrow that he has to fire with Speedy Arsenal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

He likes the horrible version of Deathstroke that everybody hates.

So about 2 or 3 years ago, I got this TPB collection of Batman Elseworld stories. It collected the trilogy of stories where Batman becomes a vampire. And I read it and enjoyed it mostly because I had read the original Red Rain when I was a teenager and the series had a lot of nostalgia value for me.
I didn't think they were brilliant stories that perfectly evoked the best aspects of the genre, but they were serviceable.
A couple of months after that one of my friends asked me if he could borrow some Batman trade paper backs to read.
My friend isn't a hardcore comic nerd, but he has read a bit of Batman and Judge Dredd stories. So I said sure.

I gave him a couple. The ones I remember giving him in particular were Gotham Central vol 1, which I consider one of the best most enjoyable reads ever. And I gave him the Batman/Dracula: Elseworld.

About a week later I asked him if he had read the Batman stuff. He said he had. He hadn't like Gotham Central at all, but he loved the Batman/Dracula stuff.

It was at that point that I realised, he was right. People are free to like the stuff they like. And that very often the hardcore fanbase can take a mindset to certain popular stories as being really bad. But very often the mainstream or more casual fans just love them.

And I think that's what is the case with Manu.

The hardcore comic fans hate the mega showings of Deathstroke as being bad because they fly in the face of the handbooks or powerlevels or whatever.
But maybe there's a LOAD of people (probably non-regular comic readers) who love that type of Deathstroke. Manu is just one of those guys.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm pretty sure it came out that DC made wally black in New 52 on the request of the Flash CW creative team.

I could totally see Wally being Iris's younger cousin or something that moves to Central and becomes Kid Flash.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

So about 2 or 3 years ago, I got this TPB collection of Batman Elseworld stories. It collected the trilogy of stories where Batman becomes a vampire. And I read it and enjoyed it mostly because I had read the original Red Rain when I was a teenager and the series had a lot of nostalgia value for me.
I didn't think they were brilliant stories that perfectly evoked the best aspects of the genre, but they were serviceable.
A couple of months after that one of my friends asked me if he could borrow some Batman trade paper backs to read.
My friend isn't a hardcore comic nerd, but he has read a bit of Batman and Judge Dredd stories. So I said sure.

I gave him a couple. The ones I remember giving him in particular were Gotham Central vol 1, which I consider one of the best most enjoyable reads ever. And I gave him the Batman/Dracula: Elseworld.

About a week later I asked him if he had read the Batman stuff. He said he had. He hadn't like Gotham Central at all, but he loved the Batman/Dracula stuff.

It was at that point that I realised, he was right. People are free to like the stuff they like. And that very often the hardcore fanbase can take a mindset to certain popular stories as being really bad. But very often the mainstream or more casual fans just love them.

And I think that's what is the case with Manu.

The hardcore comic fans hate the mega showings of Deathstroke as being bad because they fly in the face of the handbooks or powerlevels or whatever.
But maybe there's a LOAD of people (probably non-regular comic readers) who love that type of Deathstroke. Manu is just one of those guys.

There's no defense for Identity Crisis.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
I personally like the idea of the unstoppable Deathstroke within the context of the TV show. It made me roll my eyes a bit in the comics, but having a real stumbling block for Ollie that isn't some kind of red tape or moral conundrum is nice and gives the character room to grow(Granted Ras has sort of filled this roll).

And in all honesty, just comparing Manu to almost anybody else that the show has featured, I would expect Crixus to win those fights.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Finally got around to watching the latest episode, didn't really get all the hate. As much as I've found this season lackluster, particularly next to The Flash, and have commented here to that effect several times, I thought this was probably the best episode of the season, and one of the better of the show's entire run. Blackthorne finally got a chance to let loose. Everything is going to hell. The flashbacks weren't terrible, and even the Mei stuff was not nearly as poorly inserted as I had expected. Ultimately, the only part I found annoying was the the doctor's terrible shpiel about the hospital's experimental treatment policy and the fact that a billionaire had been put in this dimly lit room and given this crappy rear end doctor to care for him. Talk about shattering the suspension of disbelief.

e to add: I like where the show is now, yet can't help but feel that the way it got here was...sub-optimal.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 6, 2015

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
In person, Manu Bennett is an amazing person who gets super passionate about his point of view. I kind of agree with the guy here, even though I don't agree with how he made his case. The last sighting of Deathstroke was too neatly resolved and for a character who has been so pivotal in the series, treating him like an easily resolved matter who is benched like the villain of the week is a dumb move.

There's something about this season that isn't gelling on a week to week basis, and at the moment the arcs feel rushed. That is par for the course when we're dealing w/ Arrow but everything was firing on all cylinders. I have a feeling that this season is going to play better when binge watched but right now the series feels like the END to something, and not world building.m Its almost as if the CW can sense its lead's frustration and is trying to wrap up a lot of little things before it boils over and he walks away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a The Flash Wondercon Sizzle reel but I don't / can't find one for Arrow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

There's a The Flash Wondercon Sizzle reel but I don't / can't find one for Arrow.

I don't think the Arrow team was there.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Deadpool posted:

I don't think the Arrow team was there.

The Flash reel has some Arrow and ATOM stuff in it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'd be more concerned with what happens to The CW, before DC ever get the chance to screw up The Flash. The CW have to renegotiate their affiliate deal that covers a lot of major markets, and the company they are dealing with is not at all happy with their performance. CW will probably end up on some digital substation, or be forced into a really tough deal. Either way, the network's budget will likely tank after next season, at which point it will limp on to an inevitable death.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

TyrantWD posted:

I'd be more concerned with what happens to The CW, before DC ever get the chance to screw up The Flash. The CW have to renegotiate their affiliate deal that covers a lot of major markets, and the company they are dealing with is not at all happy with their performance. CW will probably end up on some digital substation, or be forced into a really tough deal. Either way, the network's budget will likely tank after next season, at which point it will limp on to an inevitable death.

This seems likely to me. Maybe not in a year, but sooner rather than later.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

Would be cool to see Flash go on as a Netflix show, if it ever came to it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valeyard posted:

Would be cool to see Flash go on as a Netflix show, if it ever came to it

Marvel does that. And DC doesn't do what Marvel does. Look forward to Flash on Crackle in 2017.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flash, PSN exclusive.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Marvel does that. And DC doesn't do what Marvel does. Look forward to Flash on Crackle in 2017.

Aphrodite posted:

Season 2 of Powers is gonna happen faster than you can imagine

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Those both make too much sense. Gotta cut out the middle man and go straight for your audience.

Flash Season 5: told exclusively on and through Tumblr posts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I could see The Flash and Arrow being moved to Amazon Prime and not Netflix.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TyrantWD posted:

Thanks for ruining my day. :smith:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

And only in the US for some reason.

What the gently caress Sony? Honestly I didn't really care about Powers in the first place, but I'd like to have to option to watch it. Why isn't it on the UK PSN? They made the loving show, surely they have the rights for international distribution.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Veotax posted:

And only in the US for some reason.

What the gently caress Sony? Honestly I didn't really care about Powers in the first place, but I'd like to have to option to watch it. Why isn't it on the UK PSN? They made the loving show, surely they have the rights for international distribution.

Maybe they're trying to get it on a real television station there. You know where people might actually be able to see it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

If everyone is so loving hot for Diggle to be John Stewart they can turn him into Darkstar.

Why does the black guy have to be Darkstar?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

I think Diggle is a great character on his own and so is John Stewart but I really don't think they'd fit well as the same character.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Diggle should be a Mr. Terrific, because he's Terrific. Not the same Mr. Terrific as one of the other ones, a brand new one. Get him a T mask and a leather jacket that says "Fair Play" on the back.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Diggle just needs more guns. He should use a different one every scene, and nobody should ever notice. Even when he busts out flintlocks and blunderbusses, and whatever else old guns there are. And then a bazooka. And the gun-that-shoots-knives.

And he needs that car with the guns from Agents of SHIELD.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

McDragon posted:

Diggle just needs more guns. He should use a different one every scene, and nobody should ever notice. Even when he busts out flintlocks and blunderbusses, and whatever else old guns there are. And then a bazooka. And the gun-that-shoots-knives.

And he needs that car with the guns from Agents of SHIELD.

I would not mind if he pulled all of the guns out of the same holster, videogame style.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Hello, I would like to read about this, if you have links.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

zoux posted:

Hello, I would like to read about this, if you have links.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/24/cw-predictions-special-bubble-watch-conspiracy-edition/366548/

Its covered a bit at the end of this article. Tribune Media, one of the CW's biggest affiliates, has been publicly voicing discontent with CW numbers for a while. Their contract runs out in September 2016, at which point the CW will likely need to renegotiate more favorable terms for Tribune or find new affiliates. Either way would likely be a huge revenue hit for the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not good but it doesn't seem as dire as you made it out to be.

• Locked thread