Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
There is a man at my school who is paid full time by a church or something to stand outside one of our buildings and preach to all the students walking past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Synonamess Botch posted:

There is a man at my school who is paid full time by a church or something to stand outside one of our buildings and preach to all the students walking past

Every Wednesday, unless it's raining, we get pastors in our quad, exhorting the students to accept Cheesus into their lives and the whole spheel. It's actually kind of strange how none of the student pay the slighest bit of mind to them. They're almost a part of the landscaping.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

my college complaint is that i didn't get to take an english class about anime

It's being taught by a doctor. An anime doctor.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Campus preachers are one of the reasons I came to like campus Mormons. Well dressed, polite, never particularly judgmental when I said it's not my thing, and gently caress right off if you don't want to chat about the basketball team, weather, or whatever else passes for small talk that day. Even went to a service once, and had good talks about faith and other religious stuff that, while I didn't buy into, we had a good time with and each walked away with insights.

Batshit crazy biblical fan fiction, but good people.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

If you go to college in the South/Southwest/Midwest, you are going to get people like that. At the university I work at, we get an old guy with a microphone screaming at people about how they're going to hell every two or three weeks, and people putting up big, graphic signs of what are supposedly aborted fetuses. They're not.

As for why they're not prosecuted, it's basically the First Amendment and lack of political (government and at the university) will to actually try prosecuting them for hate speech.

drat, I guess I just picked the only college in the deep South to not have this happen. Granted I went to a godless liberal arts school, so… we never really had protestors of any kind, the only religious people were two old men who passed out pocket bibles and the various student groups.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Worst thing my university gets are those old guys who pass out the little pocket Bibles and honestly I tend to feel rather bad for them because a lot of students go out of their way to be assholes to them for no reason.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pead posted:

At Georgia State, they took every computer lab on campus and jammed them all into the library. It is also the only building on a commuter campus you can get rooms to meet with groups. At this point, it's basically less a library and more a giant study hall with people playing music and hanging out in with large groups of friends.

Not all the labs...but the ones that remain are generally specific-purpose labs, aside from the one in the bottom floor of Aderhold. Not that I expect anyone would want to walk to Aderhold just to use the computer lab.

I've gone into the Digital Aquarium a few times to mess around with digital painting in photoshop.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Campus preachers are one of the reasons I came to like campus Mormons. Well dressed, polite, never particularly judgmental when I said it's not my thing, and gently caress right off if you don't want to chat about the basketball team, weather, or whatever else passes for small talk that day. Even went to a service once, and had good talks about faith and other religious stuff that, while I didn't buy into, we had a good time with and each walked away with insights.

Batshit crazy biblical fan fiction, but good people.

Our (WVU) campus Mormons gave out cookies! (But I was really tight with the campus hillel despite not being Jewish.)

And yes we also had crazy preachers and the abortion protestors. And a church not even a block from campus.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We had a crazy preacher at UCF last year, unfortunately it didn't escalate into this which happened in 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFYlPDhzP4

That guy seems to travel a lot, dunno what the deal is with the empty milk jug he has.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's this one church that appears to have staked out UC Merced as their crazy preaching ground, they show up every few weeks. UC policy means we can't do anything about them as long as they stay in their one area, even if they tell Catholic students they're going to hell and upset the other Christian students so much they start crying.

Kavak has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Mar 25, 2015

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
On my campus the rules were basically "No hate speech and they can't make first contact." I think the hate speech thing got pushed through because we have a decent amount of Muslim students and that was the primary focus of our religious crazies. The no first contact thing is one they flaunt all the time, but someone usually happens by and reminds them that they can't actually preach or initialize conversations with students.

The one time they got really uppity about their "GOD HATES MUSLIMS!" poo poo a bunch of bros from athletics and other programs just asked their men out on dates until they left.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
A big number of students at my university take the train in to the city and then walk up to campus. Every couple of weeks there's an activist group of some sort at the bottom of the main road up to uni, and they're the most pushy motherfuckers. You can be walking with all the brisk purpose in the world, with headphones on, and they'll scream "HIIII!!!!!" at you and jump in front of you, even if you're talking on the phone. Now if I see any groups of people in coloured t-shirts on that corner I walk up the long way.

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.
I forgot how disorganized colleges are (dropped out 4 years ago). I'm trying to figure out what classes I should take for the next two semesters since priority registration is coming up and it seems impossible to speak to someone who can actually help me. The generic advisers know nothing about my program and my adviser (who I've never met or spoken to) isn't responding to emails and has an incorrect phone number listed in the staff directory. I just want to get this lovely associates so I can be above the poverty line :(

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I transferred to a Texas school after a year in California. One of the classes I took there is a prerequisite for my major so I have a lot of classes that require it. Every single time I go to sign up for classes I get kicked back for not having the prereq and needing to get an override. The ONE person on campus in the entire department that can do overrides decides to take the first two days of registration for the fall off. I am now left hoping that my senior classes that they offer only one class of each semester don't fill up before she gets back. gently caress this poo poo.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
^ So frustrating! A friend of mine in undergrad, while persuing his major, was informed by the head of that major's department that he didn't need a certain class. Then right before his final semester, they told him the opposite.

He had to overload his schedule and thus pay extra for going above the per-semester credit limit, when he could have safely fit the class in earlier in the program.

The department head made no effort to offer a different option or even speak to the registrar office about the miscommunication, just a "sorry my hands are tied, you'll have to take the class and pay."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aristophanes posted:

A big number of students at my university take the train in to the city and then walk up to campus. Every couple of weeks there's an activist group of some sort at the bottom of the main road up to uni, and they're the most pushy motherfuckers. You can be walking with all the brisk purpose in the world, with headphones on, and they'll scream "HIIII!!!!!" at you and jump in front of you, even if you're talking on the phone. Now if I see any groups of people in coloured t-shirts on that corner I walk up the long way.

Someone tried to start talking to me about the evils of processed milk or something when I was on my phone talking to my bank and I just shoved them over and continued walking.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

Someone tried to start talking to me about the evils of processed milk or something when I was on my phone talking to my bank and I just shoved them over and continued walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Awesome. Just what I need. Typhoid Marty in my house has given us all some loving sickness he picked up at a weeaboo convention and now I'm sick the day before my class project networking event. loving sweet. At least I can truncate the day and just attend that class. I'll beg forgiveness from the one of my teachers I'll see there and take all of the nighttime cold medicine when I get home. And then hopefully be better the next morning to go to my coffee shop job because being an independent student sucks balls except for Pell grants.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

That's me on my way off of the subway

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I wasn't allowed to register for my capstone next semester because I need more experience in my major and they really want me to take it my last semester. I am taking two classes in my major (departmental electives) next semester which will leave only my capstone and one elective left other than my minor to graduate. Good thing those extra electives from any class with a geography designation will help me understand environmental issues more than me taking it the semester after I complete all the pertinent courses.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
So I've been trying to go through the admissions process for an online degree program. Here's the problem - no one in admissions seems like they're ready to talk to me about admissions. I got contacted via e-mail, which is great because I've been having trouble with getting their calls (voicemail but the phone never rang, spotty connection when the call does come through, etc.) and the rep said we could continue over e-mail. Great! So I e-mail her back and get a call from a different rep offering me an info packet. OK, I've literally already read all of that and I just need to know what I need to do to continue with admissions (I "saved" their web admissions form and it acted as if it submitted, and I can't get back into it now that the ball's rolling). OK, so he'll send me that information and we can continue the process via e-mail. Nope - just the info packet, which the e-mail said I should read over "with my parents" (I'm in my 30s). OK, probably just a form letter, but really, could you guys not have a different form letter for non-trad students? I gave it a day to cool off so I wasn't snarky, and said "hey great, let me know what I need to do to continue the admissions process". That was Thursday. Today, around noon, I get a notification that I have a voicemail. From admissions.

Do these guys not, like, ever speak to each other or make notes in prospective student files? If it weren't for the fact that it's the only program I can even find that teaches on industry-relevant tools and is more than a skills-based program, I'd just look for a different school.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

I transferred to a Texas school after a year in California. One of the classes I took there is a prerequisite for my major so I have a lot of classes that require it. Every single time I go to sign up for classes I get kicked back for not having the prereq and needing to get an override. The ONE person on campus in the entire department that can do overrides decides to take the first two days of registration for the fall off. I am now left hoping that my senior classes that they offer only one class of each semester don't fill up before she gets back. gently caress this poo poo.

One of the most frustrating things about my school is that for my one major pretty much all of the classes are of an even worse variety. They'll have 20 seats, be absolutely 100% mandatory, and only happen once every two years. God help you if you missed a prereq. Granted in that case sometimes they'll work with you like letting you take a prereq and the class at the same time but it makes scheduling a loving nightmare. Fortunately for my other major most of the classes happen at bizarre hours (I have a lot of 6 pm classes) and are worked out to happen every semester but I can't imagine trying to do the first major with like any other program tacked on at all. Sometimes it's a miracle to get the right classes and it's basically guaranteed to create conflicts when you have that one required class that might not be taught again for three years at 11 three days a week. Literally anything else that happens at that time slot that semester is something you won't be taking.

Most of those classes are taught by a really incredible professor that knows an absolutely absurd amount about the subject so they're absolutely worth taking but it's still irritating from a scheduling standpoint.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the most frustrating things about my school is that for my one major pretty much all of the classes are of an even worse variety. They'll have 20 seats, be absolutely 100% mandatory, and only happen once every two years. God help you if you missed a prereq. Granted in that case sometimes they'll work with you like letting you take a prereq and the class at the same time but it makes scheduling a loving nightmare. Fortunately for my other major most of the classes happen at bizarre hours (I have a lot of 6 pm classes) and are worked out to happen every semester but I can't imagine trying to do the first major with like any other program tacked on at all. Sometimes it's a miracle to get the right classes and it's basically guaranteed to create conflicts when you have that one required class that might not be taught again for three years at 11 three days a week. Literally anything else that happens at that time slot that semester is something you won't be taking.

Most of those classes are taught by a really incredible professor that knows an absolutely absurd amount about the subject so they're absolutely worth taking but it's still irritating from a scheduling standpoint.

I feel somewhat lucky in that scheduling at my university isn't nearly this awful, though for some reason it seems that most Arts and Music courses happen on a Monday. To the point that, this year, I have about 5 hours of back to back classes on a Monday, with basically gently caress all every other day of the week. I had to get a concession from the university to allow me to miss one hour of my Music workshop on a Monday because it clashes with the only Classics paper available, and this is happening both semesters this year. Would it kill them to put something on a Tuesday?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Minor thing, but someone in my class wears perfume like half the time. So (literally) irritating.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
The dean of our school sends people emails with her question in the subject line and nothing in the body

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not me, but my girlfriend can't register for some of her classes because one of the requirements is a class she's currently enrolled in and obviously isn't done yet.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Today, around noon, I get a notification that I have a voicemail. From admissions.
Update: I e-mailed them to let them know I am having trouble receiving their calls, and that their voicemails are barely audible. Well, today around noon, they called me again to talk to me. I wasn't able to get to my phone in time, so I got another voicemail, which I could barely hear and which cut in and out like every other call I've gotten from them. A minute after that, an e-mail was sent to me hoping that it "found me well" and asking what time of day and number was good for reaching me, as well as telling me they'd like to talk to me about...the information they sent me in the packet. I let them know I still have trouble getting their calls, and asking if they could please respond to me directly via e-mail so I have a written record of what's been said, even if that's only to tell me why they cannot answer my questions via e-mail. Dollars to donuts says I get a call again tomorrow with another "please let us know when you'd like to speak to us" e-mail immediately after.

That was the sole saving grace of the admissions department at the post-secondary school I used to teach at - prospective students were assigned a representative that handled the process from first entry to enrollment/denial.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

ChaosArgate posted:

Not me, but my girlfriend can't register for some of her classes because one of the requirements is a class she's currently enrolled in and obviously isn't done yet.

She should just talk to her advisor or the department specific advisor if its outside of her major and get a prerequisite override. It shouldn't be an issue for them and won't take long for them to put it in the system. I've had to do it tons in my college career.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hey professor, if you don't want students looking up the answers on your tests you should probably not post them online then let us do them at our convenience from any computer we want. You know...just saying.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

"We're sorry, we cannot continue the admissions process via e-mail". Train your reps better, since the guy I spoke to flat-out told me that we could do at least some of the process that way. They still haven't given me an answer as to what I'm going to need for that call, which is kind of important because I might have to order copies of documents.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

"We're sorry, we cannot continue the admissions process via e-mail". Train your reps better, since the guy I spoke to flat-out told me that we could do at least some of the process that way. They still haven't given me an answer as to what I'm going to need for that call, which is kind of important because I might have to order copies of documents.

Why are you going to college online?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That's bizarre. When I first enrolled I didn't even set foot on campus until my first day of classes, nor talk to anyone on the phone. They need to get with the times.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

That's bizarre. When I first enrolled I didn't even set foot on campus until my first day of classes, nor talk to anyone on the phone. They need to get with the times.

They have a web application form, but I have no idea how far along that will take me. I'd filled it out partially, saved it because it was asking for some information I didn't have access to (GPA from a university that locked my student account when I withdrew due to health issues), and for some reason I never got a password to get back into it like I was supposed to. I'd just go in and talk to an admissions rep, or look for a different school, but this one particular one seems to be the only online program that teaches on an industry standard toolchain, and I can't do brick-and-mortar college for health reasons.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Right now I need to complain about the washing machines in campus housing.

We have 16 washing machines in our 8-floor building. Half of them are currently broken, and it seems that even putting in a work request doesn't get them fixed because I know for a fact I've reported a couple of them myself and they've been broken all year.

And of course assholes don't come get their laundry right away, so I was only able to get one of three loads started (tiny-rear end front-loaders). I almost wish they'd charge for washing and drying if that meant machines actually loving got fixed.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

taiyoko posted:

Right now I need to complain about the washing machines in campus housing.

We have 16 washing machines in our 8-floor building. Half of them are currently broken, and it seems that even putting in a work request doesn't get them fixed because I know for a fact I've reported a couple of them myself and they've been broken all year.

And of course assholes don't come get their laundry right away, so I was only able to get one of three loads started (tiny-rear end front-loaders). I almost wish they'd charge for washing and drying if that meant machines actually loving got fixed.

Just move people's laundry out of the machine if they keep it loaded. It's not a real apartment building rule but it's dorm rules.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That's always been pretty standard every laundry room I've had. The machine is fair game once the cycle is done. Clothes go in a pile on top.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Group projects are loving awful. We got assigned a project like a month ago and half of my group isn't starting their parts of it until tomorrow.

It's due Monday.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I've never been on a group project where at least one person didn't do the entirety of their project the day of the assignment.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I did my first/last group project the night before with the rest of my team. I'd rather fail my thesis again than do another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jaramin posted:

I've never been on a group project where at least one person didn't do the entirety of their project the day of the assignment.

The truly stupid thing is we kept having meetings to talk about what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. We'd divide up the work and make decisions and the next meeting would be me talking about what I did followed by four "I literally did nothing" statements.

It really bothers me that professors say "well you can't choose who you work with so deal with it" about that sort of thing because that level of negligence leads to people not having jobs anymore.

• Locked thread