Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skarsnik posted:

Dont install lovely apps then?

Too bad the Google Play market is flooded with them. It's seriously hard to find an app that isn't obviously terrible sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seriously hard

right

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isndl posted:

It's seriously hard to find an app that isn't obviously terrible sometimes.

Sometimes I don't understand this thread.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is the thread for people to get egregiously rear end-blasted over smartphones, get with the program dweeb

I don't get it, but I will gently caress off then. :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skarsnik posted:

Plus lack of Wifi means any location request will go straight to the battery hungry GPS, when a coarse Wifi request would have been enough

Your phone isn't going to just connect to any random hot spot unless you specifically tell it to, so the privacy argument is silly

Yes it pretty much is going to do just that, actually.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/

Technically a somewhat different issue, but effectively the same thing privacy-wise.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skarsnik posted:

Seriously hard

right

In short, I've had better luck going through third party reviews to find an app than attempting to find one myself through the Play store.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Back in the day you used to be able to block private numbers in Android, either drop the call or send it to voicemail or whatever. Now that I've got lollypop going that doesn't seem to be an option and my cursory browse around the app store hasn't proved very useful.

Currently running a rooted nexus 4 and am looking for something that can allow me to drop all those drat sales calls I keep getting. Help me please goons. I don't mind paying for an app that does this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skarsnik posted:

Dont install lovely apps then?

You might as well ask people not to install apps at all with the state Android's in these days.

That's sort of what the Android app and game threads are for - so courageous goons can find the worst offenders and wave other goons off of them, or more rarely find stuff actually worth using.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes it pretty much is going to do just that, actually.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/

Technically a somewhat different issue, but effectively the same thing privacy-wise.
I legitimately fail to see the issue with any of this. Yes, you could, in theory, use Wi-Fi access point data broadcast to track someone. I don't understand why that's an issue though. Anyone who wanted to get the kind of data that it's leaking about specifically you could easily get it without going through all of that.

Worrying about what unconnected Wi-Fi tells about you is just ridiculous. Keeping it enabled has real location accuracy and battery usage benefits whereas the opposite is complete :tinfoil: bullshit.

As for the apps and their permissions, come on. It's not difficult to find good apps and I'm sure everyone here (in a nerd phone thread for weirdos) can easily tell a good app from a bad one. I'm not saying grandmothers who can't tell spam from email couldn't do it (which is a legitimate complaint about Android) but is anyone here seriously unable to distinguish malware from useful apps on Google Play?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lollipop came to my LG G2 a few days ago and I hate it. It has dramatically reduced the performance of my phone (apps take much longer to open/close, it's seriously sluggish at all times, etc), apps freeze up for a while occasionally, etc. I never rooted it. Is there any way to get rid of this bullshit and go back to the nice phone I used to have?

Quoting this because I didn't want it to get lost. I had a similar issue on my HTC One m7. If I remember correctly, I solved all my issues by rebooting into recovery and doing SOMETHING. It had to do with dvalik vs ART and switching from Kit Kat to L. . This reboot/refresh solved all my issues and I'm hoping someone else here knows what im talking about because I can't find the link...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I guess I'm going back to my N4. 1 GB of RAM just isn't enough these days, I guess - I can't be sure of SwipePad will be there when I swipe in or not, and it did on fact get killed while in the foreground once this morning. I'll just have to deal with crappy battery life.

I'm sure my wife will be happy when I tell her its time to sell the phone I got a month ago!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hooah posted:

Well, I guess I'm going back to my N4. 1 GB of RAM just isn't enough these days, I guess - I can't be sure of SwipePad will be there when I swipe in or not, and it did on fact get killed while in the foreground once this morning. I'll just have to deal with crappy battery life.

I'm sure my wife will be happy when I tell her its time to sell the phone I got a month ago!

What phone did you have again?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

What phone did you have again?

They had/have a gpe moto g.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Correct. I've had a Nexus 4 since February 2013, and wanted something inexpensive to temporarily replace it until I could afford another flagship-quality phone and settled on a 2013 Moto G. Unfortunately I found that inexpensive, in this case, is equivalent with "can't meet my needs".

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Quoting this because I didn't want it to get lost. I had a similar issue on my HTC One m7. If I remember correctly, I solved all my issues by rebooting into recovery and doing SOMETHING. It had to do with dvalik vs ART and switching from Kit Kat to L. . This reboot/refresh solved all my issues and I'm hoping someone else here knows what im talking about because I can't find the link...

Cleared your cache partition from the recovery menu? Then clear all app caches from the storage setting.
My 5.0.2 Moto G has been well-behaved since doing this.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lollipop came to my LG G2 a few days ago and I hate it. It has dramatically reduced the performance of my phone (apps take much longer to open/close, it's seriously sluggish at all times, etc), apps freeze up for a while occasionally, etc. I never rooted it. Is there any way to get rid of this bullshit and go back to the nice phone I used to have?

Please just understand that while there might be some hiccups, that Lollipop is objectively superior to whatever experience you had before with you phone.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got my Moto X today, still doing some setup stuff.

Either it or my old phone didn't want to do the "tap to transfer poo poo" thing, but the auto Android backup does a good enough job of getting back most of my stuff.

Now, maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the 2014 X was on 5.0.1? Is that not true? My drat One M7 has it, why can't a phone released 18 months later have it?

Though to be honest, I don't know what was added in 5.0.1.

The Moto X got Lollipop in like November, way before other phones and before there was a 5.0.1, I believe. Now Moto is jumping right to 5.1 for their next round of updates. 5.0.1 doesn't add anything other than bug fixes though and personally I've had zero issues with 5.0 on the X, including the memory leak issues.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Require More Fire posted:

The Moto X got Lollipop in like November, way before other phones and before there was a 5.0.1, I believe. Now Moto is jumping right to 5.1 for their next round of updates. 5.0.1 doesn't add anything other than bug fixes though and personally I've had zero issues with 5.0 on the X, including the memory leak issues.

I had memory leak issues (home screen redraws, etc.) on my X with 5.0. A restart would fix it but after a few days it just got bogged down. The 5.1 soak test seems to be a little better I guess!

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I found that just leaving my phone in airplane mode has solved any battery or malware issues I've had with my android phones. Nothing comes in or goes out and the battery lasts for days. I still use an antivirus and firewall just in case, though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

comper posted:

I found that just leaving my phone in airplane mode has solved any battery or malware issues I've had with my android phones. Nothing comes in or goes out and the battery lasts for days. I still use an antivirus and firewall just in case, though.

Is this a joke or are you serious because lol

E. It's just early. I got it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are we at the point where we can just ban someone for mentioning a firewall, antivirus, or battery saver app? After this post, of course.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

isndl posted:

It makes me curious to see just where the hell Samsung put the Qi receiver, because the Vu has three separate coils to maximize compatibility.

There has been pretty good indication on a few sites that their wireless charging stuff is at the top of the phone. It wasn't 100%, but it was based on the orientation the phone had to be (up side down) in order to charge on some wireless mat where the coils were at the bottom only.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope we get lots of editorials about how Google/LG/Samsung/Motorola/Whoever are releasing updates to INTENTIONALLY obsolete their phones by making them slower like Apple gets every time there's an update and some writer's 4 year old phone suddenly stops working great.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I hope we get lots of editorials about how Google/LG/Samsung/Motorola/Whoever are releasing updates to INTENTIONALLY obsolete their phones by making them slower like Apple gets every time there's an update and some writer's 4 year old phone suddenly stops working great.

Jesus Christ Google get with the program, where is 5.1 for my Nexus One

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I was rockin' Kitkat on my Nexus One before I upgraded.

It worked surprisingly well for what it was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mogomra posted:

Is this like "the Atari 2600 is a surprisingly capable webserver, for what it is" kind of thing? Or was it usable beyond kid-glove gimmick scenarios?

I am having trouble imagining how terrifically bad KitKat must have been on that hardware. It's like seeing XP running on some old shitbox that was built for use with 3.1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I was rockin' Kitkat on my Nexus One before I upgraded.

Better or worse than Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FAUXTON posted:

Is this like "the Atari 2600 is a surprisingly capable webserver, for what it is" kind of thing? Or was it usable beyond kid-glove gimmick scenarios?

I am having trouble imagining how terrifically bad KitKat must have been on that hardware. It's like seeing XP running on some old shitbox that was built for use with 3.1.

Endless Mike posted:

Better or worse than Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

Some alpha-nerd hacked together some sort of hardware acceleration so it was totally usable. It was still old hardware for Kitkat though. The real issue was that whatever storage was in the Nexus One didn't hold up over time, so the longer you ran, the longer it would take apps to load.

E: This is what I was running, not my video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33IrOD_WYs

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 7, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: ^^^^^ lol at the lag when hitting the trackball button

Jokes aside, one of the design goals with KitKat was that they were aiming to get it running better on cheap devices for emerging markets, and specifically those with 512MB RAM. At that point you're basically looking at what would've been a top-end phone in 2010.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kerbtree posted:

Cleared your cache partition from the recovery menu? Then clear all app caches from the storage setting.
My 5.0.2 Moto G has been well-behaved since doing this.

That was it thank! Gobbeldygook I'm not sure how to do that on your G2 but someone here might know and I'm sure Google will!

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Back in the day you used to be able to block private numbers in Android, either drop the call or send it to voicemail or whatever. Now that I've got lollypop going that doesn't seem to be an option and my cursory browse around the app store hasn't proved very useful.

Currently running a rooted nexus 4 and am looking for something that can allow me to drop all those drat sales calls I keep getting. Help me please goons. I don't mind paying for an app that does this.

I would like to know if it's possible to do this without needing to root the phone. If you're phone is rooted I think there are ways to do it, but I don't want to do that.

Prior to Lollipop, I used Mr. Number to just automatically hang up on any numbers that I put in a block list. Once Lollipop came out, this feature no longer works and I haven't found anything that will work with Lollipop that doesn't require root.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Dirk Funk posted:

I would like to know if it's possible to do this without needing to root the phone. If you're phone is rooted I think there are ways to do it, but I don't want to do that.

Prior to Lollipop, I used Mr. Number to just automatically hang up on any numbers that I put in a block list. Once Lollipop came out, this feature no longer works and I haven't found anything that will work with Lollipop that doesn't require root.

TrueCaller or TrueDialer might be what you are looking for.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

You can just make a contact that you dump all the numbers you want to go straight to voicemail into, and you go to the overflow menu while in the edit contact screen you can check an option for "All calls to voicemail."

This is with default dialer and contacts from Google.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

True caller seems to look like it does what I'm after. Obviously need to see if I stop getting stupid blocked number calls but it looks promising. Cheers.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Merv Burger posted:

You can just make a contact that you dump all the numbers you want to go straight to voicemail into, and you go to the overflow menu while in the edit contact screen you can check an option for "All calls to voicemail."

It's the withheld numbers that do this stuff around here and it's kind of hard to put "blocked number" into contacts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Merv Burger posted:

It's really lovely that the official "fix" is a hacky workaround.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I will check these out and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TrueCaller offers cool functionality at the cost of uploading your entire contacts list to their server so they know who everyone's phone number is!

Or at least this was the case a year ago...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I've got free upgrade now and am getting an m8 to replace my m7 - because gently caress paying £49 a month for a decent data plan, especially since the phone seems like a mess from first reviews.
Only problem is for some lovely reason you can't get the 32GB m8 in the UK, only the 16GB. Can anyone tell me if it's true you can't move apps to the SD card on current Android? Because if so then this seems like a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Thermopyle posted:

TrueCaller offers cool functionality at the cost of uploading your entire contacts list to their server so they know who everyone's phone number is!

Or at least this was the case a year ago...

I'm just playing through the app now and it also wants to farm you FB contacts. You can earn different badges and one is "brand ambassador". This can't bode well.

All I want to do is block private numbers that used to be a stock feature in Android. Why they gotta make it so hard. Might be time to roll back a version.