Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's pretty much always been his position though?

Has it been? This is from a couple years ago, I wasn't aware he had changed his mind since this, though admittedly I don't follow Florida state politics much. http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/gov-rick-scott-feds-reach-medicaid-deal/1275937

quote:

"While the federal government is committed to pay 100 percent of the cost, I cannot, in good conscience, deny Floridians the needed access to health care," Scott said at a hastily called news conference at the Governor's Mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

You guys remember in the primaries last cycle when they had a debate and one of the moderators asked "What should these people, without health insurance, do" and some people in the audience yelled out "Let them die". That happened right, that wasn't some satire move I saw?

Wasn't it an actual for real candidate for President of the United States that basically said 'let them die' to wild cheers and applause?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wasn't it an actual for real candidate for President of the United States that basically said 'let them die' to wild cheers and applause?

Fairly certain it was Rick Perry, but yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I honestly forget whether he was originally behind it and the legislature said no, or if it was the reverse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepQF7G-It0

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Fairly certain it was Rick Perry, but yes.

Turns out it was Ron Paul so scratch the 'actual for real candidate for President of the United States'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/09/ron_pauls_campaign_manager_die.html

quote:

At the fifth GOP debate this week, moderator Wolf Blitzer asked Ron Paul, a doctor, whether someone who opts to not buy health insurance and then gets sick should be allowed to die. The crowd responded with startling shouts of "Yeah!" followed by applause, leaving even Rick Perry "taken aback." Paul's answer, while more gentle, was more or less the same. "That's what freedom is all about : taking your own risks. This whole idea that you have to take care of everybody ... " said Paul, who was cut off by clapping from the audience. While you wouldn't know it from his answer, Blizter's hypothetical probably hit close to home for Paul, whose campaign manager Kent Snyder died young of pneumonia — without insurance — in 2008.

He was just 49 years old when he died of complications from the virus on June 26, two weeks after Paul dropped out of the race. Snyder's mother was left with around $400,000 in medical costs. Paul supporters set up a donation fund to help with the debt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E-day, E-day, everybody go out and vote 'cause its E-day and we gonna party like its 2002

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ron Paul took the hypocritic oath when he became a doctor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird how many doctors are rabid rightwingers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I refuse to believe that the dude that bragged about killing people was taken aback by the crowd cheering.

zoux posted:

It's almost as if a lot of them get in for the money or something :shrug:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

zoux posted:

They bootstrapped themselves into success, why can't you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's almost as if a lot of them get in for the money or something :shrug:

I've also talked to doctors who clearly have been jaded by seeing nothing but a bunch of people unable to control themselves over and over again. The confirmation bias from working in some fields can reinforce the idea that poors are poors because they are lazy and spendthrift.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Phone posted:

It did... For Rick Scott's former employer that his wife just so happens to work for.

e: i got this poo poo

For Rick Scott's former employer for whom his wife just so happens to work.

That guy off in whose camper they were whacking?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LowellDND posted:

They bootstrapped themselves into success, why can't you?

They joined a profession that has a literal cartel controlling the slim trickle of people allowed to enter it, forcing the supply to always be outstripped by demand. Contrast with lawyering, which has such a glut that in San Diego they were offering salaried lawyer jobs at less than minimum wage and overflowing with applicants.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/582060/obama-teaches-republicans-lesson-on-presidenting-for-dummies

quote:

President Obama took a break from his golf game and general tyranny-ing to discuss with NPR the deal to contain Iran’s nuclear power program so we could perhaps avoid bombing the crap out of Iran in World War Whatever. It’s a deal conservatives started condemning even before there actually was a deal, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t all agree (except for Bill O’Reilly, wtf?) it was a bad idea because war is so much easier, isn’t it?

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said he would revoke any such deal if he were president, because while Republicans just finished explaining to Iran and the world that the president does not have any authority to make deals, the president certainly has the authority to break them, duh. So President Obama took the opportunity to point out that Gov. Walker is A Idiot:

“It would be a foolish approach to take,” Obama said in an interview with NPR’s Steve Inskeep, “and perhaps Mr. Walker — after he’s taken some time to bone up on foreign policy — will feel the same way.”

Walker, let us not forget, not so long ago claimed he knew all about foreign policy and how to defeat our enemies du jour because of his vast experience busting unions, which is how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union, as we all know from our Rush Revere History Books.

The president also took the opportunity to gratuitously point and laugh at those Republican senators who’ve been insisting the president has no authority to president, at least when his name is Barack Obama:

“I am confident that any president who gets elected,” Obama told Inskeep, “will be knowledgeable enough about foreign policy and knowledgeable enough about the traditions and precedents of presidential power that they won’t start calling [into] question the capacity of the executive branch of the United States to enter into agreements with other countries. If that starts being questioned, that’s going to be a problem for our friends and that’s going to embolden our enemies.”

Calling out Walker is pretty good, although he should've included the ISIS remark as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You assume they bother to verify anything before they cook up an anecdote about how they totally saw some woman with long nails and six kids buying nothing but sirloin while chatting vacantly on her impeccably up to date iphone 7.

Oh, I wasn't assuming.

You left out the "and made the hardworking young man who bags the groceries carry it all out to her Escalade." part though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And that hardworking young man's name was Albert Einstein Kevin Sorbo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

http://wonkette.com/582060/obama-teaches-republicans-lesson-on-presidenting-for-dummies

Calling out Walker is pretty good, although he should've included the ISIS remark as well.

The absolute worst thing about the Iran deal was the Republicans pretty much positioning the US and an unreliable business partner who you can't trust to keep deals after elections.

Schizophrenic, even.

"Yeah, we cut this 20 year long deal, but we just may change our mind in 3 1/2 years. You never know."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

I disagree because Walker being in a battle of words with Obama raises his national profile.
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/btN6GjV.png)

He needs to be battling with Rand and Ted Cruz, help them move up the ranks.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 7, 2015

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

zoux posted:

I disagree because Walker being in a battle of words with Obama raises his national profile.

That's the entire point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A primer on today's election in Chicago: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/why-couldnt-the-left-unseat-rahm-emanuel/389354/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The absolute worst thing about the Iran deal was the Republicans pretty much positioning the US and an unreliable business partner who you can't trust to keep deals after elections.

Schizophrenic, even.

"Yeah, we cut this 20 year long deal, but we just may change our mind in 3 1/2 years. You never know."

Didn't this exact thing happen with N Korea after W was elected? Like I remember the Clinton administration had a bunch of deals in place so N Korea wouldn't become nuclear and as soon as W came into office he didn't keep most of them which pissed N Korea off enough to either get nuclear capabilities or just set off a bunch of TNT under a mountain somewhere to make it look like they did?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yes, there were negotiations meant to build on a 1994 deal with the North Koreans centering around food and economic assistance for a suspension of nuclear weapon activity. In 2002, those negotiations fell apart. 4 years later, N Korea detonated their first bomb.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Yes, there were negotiations meant to build on a 1994 deal with the North Koreans centering around food and economic assistance for a suspension of nuclear weapon activity. In 2002, those negotiations fell apart. 4 years later, N Korea detonated their first bomb.

So you're saying that we shouldn't have ever negotiated in 1994 and if we hadn't NK wouldn't have ever had the bomb! Stop the talks now!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phone posted:

It did... For Rick Scott's former employer that his wife just so happens to work at.

Don't defame my Governor with accusations of such petty bribery. He owned the company, but then transferred all his shares to his wife. So the money was going to a company that his wife owned and that he thus had absolutely nothing to do with.

Rick Scott is better at graft than lining the pockets of a company he or his wife simply worked at.

Frabba posted:

Has it been? This is from a couple years ago, I wasn't aware he had changed his mind since this, though admittedly I don't follow Florida state politics much. http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/gov-rick-scott-feds-reach-medicaid-deal/1275937

He wanted to get reelected. He also mysteriously began talking about teachers as human beings deserving compensation, instead of heartless leeches sucking taxpayers dry shortly before announcing his bid for reelection. It was all a transparent bid for votes, which he knew he'd need since Rick Scott does not get elected but by the narrowest of margins. Now that he's won there's no need to pretend to care.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pepco is reporting scattered power outages in DC this afternoon.

The power went out at the White House during Rand's announcement.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Pepco is reporting scattered power outages in DC this afternoon.

The power went out at the White House during Rand's announcement.

Either Rand is re-enacting the movie White House Down, or PEPCO is a really lovely utility company.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Either Rand is re-enacting the movie White House Down, or PEPCO is a really lovely utility company.

I'm in DC and I can at least confirm the latter of that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The weirdest thing about how vigorously social welfare programs get attacked is that a large portion of their policy aims are related to protecting consumption and thus smaller businesses. If a dude can't afford food, he's not buying food. A store could lose a loyal customer and that can be a real problem.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Frabba posted:

Turns out politicians say the damndest things sometimes.

Campaign Obama, talking to AFL-CIO posted:

I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care program. I see no reason why the United States of America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world, spending 14 percent of its gross national product on health care, cannot provide basic health insurance to everybody. And that's what Jim is talking about when he says everybody in, nobody out. A single-payer health care plan, a universal health care plan. That's what I’d like to see.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAyan1fXCE

Justus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grondoth posted:

The weirdest thing about how vigorously social welfare programs get attacked is that a large portion of their policy aims are related to protecting consumption and thus smaller businesses. If a dude can't afford food, he's not buying food. A store could lose a loyal customer and that can be a real problem.

To the sort of conservative who really believes that you can run a government on common sense and folksy analogies, the idea of "counterintuitive" or "second-order effect" is anathema.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My boss was arguing against providing subsidized vaccinations to children. I am for it because I don't like human suffering but I argued with him that it will save money when these kids don't have to go to the ER with some awful disease. My boss answered that they can go to "low cost hospitals" funded by charity if they come down with measles.

Yeah it's impossible to argue cost because they don't actually give a poo poo about saving money, they just don't want the "undeserving" to get help.

But on the whole "let him die" business, people who are alive, employed, and pay taxes are hella valuable to an economy. The death of Paul's campaign guy was expensive - the guy had a fairly nice earnings potential regardless of whatever his job was. So now you don't have him paying taxes. You don't have him buying goods and services (with revenue on which vendors will pay taxes). And now his family's demand for goods and services is depressed by the debt. Since he was fairly young, his death may have cost the economy a million dollars. But we'd rather lose that money and those lives than help the undeserving. Welp.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Xibanya posted:

My boss was arguing against providing subsidized vaccinations to children. I am for it because I don't like human suffering but I argued with him that it will save money when these kids don't have to go to the ER with some awful disease. My boss answered that they can go to "low cost hospitals" funded by charity if they come down with measles.

Yeah it's impossible to argue cost because they don't actually give a poo poo about saving money, they just don't want the "undeserving" to get help.

But on the whole "let him die" business, people who are alive, employed, and pay taxes are hella valuable to an economy. The death of Paul's campaign guy was expensive - the guy had a fairly nice earnings potential regardless of whatever his job was. So now you don't have him paying taxes. You don't have him buying goods and services (with revenue on which vendors will pay taxes). And now his family's demand for goods and services is depressed by the debt. Since he was fairly young, his death may have cost the economy a million dollars. But we'd rather lose that money and those lives than help the undeserving. Welp.
The problem with this is that the primary purpose of the economic policies of the Republican party is not stimulation of the economy or governmental cost savings.

It's spite.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Didn't this exact thing happen with N Korea after W was elected? Like I remember the Clinton administration had a bunch of deals in place so N Korea wouldn't become nuclear and as soon as W came into office he didn't keep most of them which pissed N Korea off enough to either get nuclear capabilities or just set off a bunch of TNT under a mountain somewhere to make it look like they did?

IIRC Clinton waffled a bit himself, but yeah, the ball started rolling when Dubs got into the hot seat.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gravel Gravy posted:

PEPCO is a really lovely utility company.

You're being redundant.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

The only thing that is not wrong with all government agencies/programs is funding. We need an It's a Wonderful Life Special Operations Team to kidnap conservatives while they sleep and put them in completely immersive VR simulations of the actual world they want to build and the end result of their policies so they can see what hell they would bring.

It's been done.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

You're being redundant.

PEPCO took a good week to restore power to areas hit by high wind a couple years back if I remember right.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Party Plane Jones posted:

PEPCO took a good week to restore power to areas hit by high wind a couple years back if I remember right.

You are remembering right, I was in one of those areas. Major urban area but we get the service restoration of a backwater Northeastern town that has just been hit by a hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

The problem with this is that the primary purpose of the economic policies of the Republican party is not stimulation of the economy or governmental cost savings.

It's spite.

Exactly. When given the choice between an inexpensive, productive solution that helps the poor or an expensive, counterproductive one that punishes the poor, conservatives will pick the second option every single time.

Even though free or subsidized birth control and sex ed reduces abortions, conservatives would rather cut these programs and increase both teen pregnancies and abortions purely out of spite to "teach them a lesson."

Using harm reduction and medical treatment to reduce drug addiction can save lives and money, but immoral drug addicts won't get their comeuppance that way so let's keep shoving them into prison even though that costs so much more.

Generous welfare programs strengthen the economy and reduce crime by keeping desperately poor people from taking desperate measures? gently caress that, if I have to miserably grind away to afford food then the poor should too. Let's waste money making life on government aid as lovely as possible to "motivate" them into finding work, because we all know hunger, humiliation and depression are great ways to light a fire under the asses of those lucky duckies lounging in their hammocks all day eating dozens of $20 steaks with their $90/month worth of SNAP benefits.

• Locked thread