Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Longbaugh01 posted:

So...there's this now: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=421028969

Now, I can't be certain because I'm not even really sure what this does, but anyone familiar with KSP modding will remember Majiir's ModStatistics. Though this probably isn't anything like that (I think...) it sure started reminding me about it. Reading the description, it seems pretty self-explanatory and innocuous, yet it also tries to sell itself really hard.

He hits a lot of the concerns that someone who has been burned by bloated or badly coded mods in the past might have. In a mod community of the size and scope of C:S', I would think it makes perfect sense to want to establish a reputation for making poo poo that is performance-efficient and hassle-free right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Any ideas why I wouldn't have the Zen Garden? I didn't pre-order but it should now be a part of the base game, and I still don't have it. I tried doing the verify integrity of game cache thing but that didn't work, and it's not DLC either. Would a complete reinstall help maybe?

edit: nm, just read a post that said it would come in a patch this week

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 7, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I know but I've been trying to rezone to high density and it's so tedious.

I always find tearing down buildings more annoying.
Rezoning is just right click -> left click with the zoning tool :shrug:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I got a bit excited when I saw this Chicago area grocery store growable pop up in the workshop. It's Mariano's!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

How the hell do I use the asset editor to make a highway intersection? If I don't make the bridge the highest it can be, it will always say "slope too steep" if I try to place it on even slightly elevated ground on my actual map.
If I make it as high has it can be, I can't get a ramp away from it because it either clips through the side of the bridge or it says "slope is too steep" even if the ramp is the exact same height :wtc:

E:
It works if I angle it the other way around, even though that lane is going left to right. What the gently caress

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 7, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You're making the ramps too short. If you make them as short as possible they won't fit on anything but incredibly flat terrain. Make them a few squares longer and it'll fix a lot of the "Slopes too steep" problems.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fans posted:

You're making the ramps too short. If you make them as short as possible they won't fit on anything but incredibly flat terrain. Make them a few squares longer and it'll fix a lot of the "Slopes too steep" problems.

:confused:

E: It seems to come from that tiny bump created by the other ramp merging just before the highway ends. If I delte the other ramp, this one works fine.
Kinda amazing how sloppy ramps work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a patch went out this morning, 1.0.7c.

Don't see any gameplay changes, mostly looks like fixes related to modding.

quote:

Patchnotes 1.0.7c (incl. 1.0.7b and 1.0.7)
Fixed: disappearing custom assets should now show normally
Modding: assembly version should now be ignored when loading a map
Misc: Embedded mod information to save games (to help debugging and for future improvements)
Asset editor: fixed an issue where dragging/rotating props may conflict
Asset editor: fixed user-made LOD model getting overwritten by a generated one in some cases
Asset editor: fixed problems sometimes occurring when rescaling models in the import window
Localization: German loading tips improved
Warning text added when enabling a mod
Save to cloud box now remain checked if the loading was performed from a cloud save
Japanese garden for everyone
Added command line parameter "-limitfps x" to set a target fps
Mac/Linux: Fixed custom assets not loading due to an invalid PNG format.
Mac: Removed menu bar & docks in fullscreen mode
Asset Editor: the default size of assets created from templates now matches the template size if loading props
Asset Editor: fixed a case where the default textures may get corrupted and require to restart the game
Asset Editor: already placed props can now be moved around and rotated in place (respectively using the left and right mouse click) when no tools are selected
Asset Editor: fixed cases where LODs may not rotate with the building in the import panel
Steam workshop: Steam fixed the workshop not being showing when in offline mode in the latest Steam client release (24 Mar)
Locale: added LOADING text
Misc: fixed a case where command line arguments may conflict
Misc: removed an invalid key binding option
Misc: Added screenshot shortcuts to rebindable input (default is F12 for normal screenshot and shift+F12 for hi-res screenshot, also local screenshots now go to gameUserFolder/Screenshots) Steam screenshot feature is untouched and still the preferred method to take screenshots
Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now
Misc: Save map does not show builtin and workshop maps any longer
UI: Fixed arrows sprites not showing feedback when interacted with
UI: Fixed color picker color not displaying in the right color space
No more duplicate name error for identical names coming from different packages
Paths can not be built inside elevated roads anymore
Elevated roads can now be upgraded or changed direction if one-ways
.ccs files displayed in red can now be selected in the load panel when trying to recover a failed save (when a save fails and attempt to preserve itself generating a .ccs file)
French localization improved
General audio improvements (should help address the sound stuttering issue with some sound cards)

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So does any of that make it so that intersection Assets have preview pictures?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Hagop posted:

So does any of that make it so that intersection Assets have preview pictures?

Ugh. If they could fix this...

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

So...there's this now: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=421028969

Now, I can't be certain because I'm not even really sure what this does, but anyone familiar with KSP modding will remember Majiir's ModStatistics. Though this probably isn't anything like that (I think...) it sure started reminding me about it. Reading the description, it seems pretty self-explanatory and innocuous, yet it also tries to sell itself really hard.

I'm not sure what you think this does? The way I read it, it sounds like a framework other mods can use to extract information about the gamestate in an efficient way so they can do whatever cool stuff they're meant to do, instead of everyone duplicating effort and hurting performance by including code in their own mods to do that, and possibly loving poo poo up to boot by doing it in a hacky way.

Are you somehow getting the impression that this is a phone-home spyware type thing?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Who is Majiir and what did he/it/xe do to KSP?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 7, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Who is Majiir and what did he/it/xe did to KSP?

Made a mod that scraped information off your computer and shipped it back to a central server to "help modders make better mods." Then started adding it into a collection of very popular mods that he took control of when the original authors stopped working on them. He wrote it in such a way that even if you deleted the mod, any mod that included it would just re-install it without telling you. There was no opt-in, you had to create a config file telling it to not send information.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

xzzy posted:

Made a mod that scraped information off your computer and shipped it back to a central server to "help modders make better mods." Then started adding it into a collection of very popular mods that he took control of when the original authors stopped working on them. He wrote it in such a way that even if you deleted the mod, any mod that included it would just re-install it without telling you. There was no opt-in, you had to create a config file telling it to not send information.

I stopped reading the KSP around when the second half of that started happening. What's the situation now? Did they tell him to knock it the gently caress off?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's the best way to have commuter traffic separate from goods traffic? Just have three zones designated as industrial, commercial, and residential and connect them in a triangle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure, I stopped following KSP myself. I know Squad updated their policy to squash most of it so I assume everything's peachy these days.

Also, I really like my city.

The way stuff grows organically and eventually starts to look like a real city (including a bunch of questionable decisions) is really neat.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Supraluminal posted:

I'm not sure what you think this does? The way I read it, it sounds like a framework other mods can use to extract information about the gamestate in an efficient way so they can do whatever cool stuff they're meant to do, instead of everyone duplicating effort and hurting performance by including code in their own mods to do that, and possibly loving poo poo up to boot by doing it in a hacky way.

Are you somehow getting the impression that this is a phone-home spyware type thing?

I agree. Reading it, it just sounds like an extra API that other mods can use, and taking care that it does everything cleanly and safely. I haven't looked at the code or anything but I can't find anything wrong with it judging from just the description.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
New Map from Scotland Tom, who made the map I'm currently playing/really enjoying ( Powhatan Valley):

Tenasi River

It looks like it's got a really nice, claustrophobic-yet-expandable river valley city feel with lots of opportunity for some cool architectural elements.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Fffffuuucckkkk. Computer blue screened after playing for two hours and of course I forgot to save.

I take it this mod will work for autosaves? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406123642&searchtext=&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I really hope this game gets a Cities of Tomorrow style DLC. While Simcity 2013 was a hot mess, I think the expansion has some neat ideas, like the Megatowers and OmegaCo. This game already takes place in the near future, let me futurize the crap out of my city! High tech housing isn't enough! Being able to build huge arcologies would be sweet.

Yes, I am one of those weirdos who used the Future and 2050 tilesets in Simcity 2000.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hubis posted:

New Map from Scotland Tom, who made the map I'm currently playing/really enjoying ( Powhatan Valley):

Tenasi River

It looks like it's got a really nice, claustrophobic-yet-expandable river valley city feel with lots of opportunity for some cool architectural elements.

That guy makes such great maps. Been really enjoying Powhatan Valley myself as well.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

I really hope this game gets a Cities of Tomorrow style DLC. While Simcity 2013 was a hot mess, I think the expansion has some neat ideas, like the Megatowers and OmegaCo. This game already takes place in the near future, let me futurize the crap out of my city! High tech housing isn't enough! Being able to build huge arcologies would be sweet.

Yes, I am one of those weirdos who used the Future and 2050 tilesets in Simcity 2000.

"We're were going Marty, we don't need roads." *still changes lanes too early causing sky traffic*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

man how in the hell do you even import a heightmap? When I try in the map editor, I just get a yellowish bar with an X on it, no browser or way to choose anything

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

man how in the hell do you even import a heightmap? When I try in the map editor, I just get a yellowish bar with an X on it, no browser or way to choose anything
Put your image in the Heightmaps folder, it's somewhere in %AppData%.

Once you sort that it just shows up in the heightmap import dialog.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

The taller the buildings, the better the city looks.
Suburbs are for scrubs.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Public service announcement:

For those having trouble making an aesthetically pleasing city, here's one thing you can stop doing:

Stop making curved roads with sharp kinks in them. It looks sooo poo poo. Curved road segments need to be tangent to each other dammit!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Subyng posted:

Public service announcement:

For those having trouble making an aesthetically pleasing city, here's one thing you can stop doing:

Stop making curved roads with sharp kinks in them. It looks sooo poo poo. Curved road segments need to be tangent to each other dammit!

I really wish I could assign a hotkey to grid snap for just this reason. I want grid snap because it forces the dotted line to come straight out of the road (which is what you want), but then after clicking to place the dotted line target, I have to go back down and turn off grid snapping for most of the things I use curved roads for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GrossMurpel posted:

Suburbs are for scrubs.

Is there a way to get dense blocks of low-rise apartments, like most cities in Europe have?

On another note, that CimCopter Alpha thing makes me excited.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Suburbs are for scrubs.

You need short buildings to make the tall buildings look cooler. :colbert:

PT6A posted:

Is there a way to get dense blocks of low-rise apartments, like most cities in Europe have?

Small zones work well, 1x1 or 2x2.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

On another note, that CimCopter Alpha thing makes me excited.

Try high density zoning but with a no high rise policy?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Their is a high rise ban policy, I have not used it so I don't know if it will help, but you could try that.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah there really needs to be a medium density zone. And mixed residential-commercial would be awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Get the growth stage limiting mod, set your district to any max stage you want. I like making large areas of level 1 or level 2 residential, looks the most "realistic" I found. Not quite wall to wall 5-6 story buildings but as close as you can currently get.

\/ Most of those are just CiM1 buildings imported. Those type of buildings also look awful in the skylines zoning system. Plus no way to limit styles yet. CO is working on something though and I'm really curious how they're going to implement it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Baronjutter, since you love European style so much, there are currently a bunch of growable "Belgian" style buildings on the workshop that might suit you, although I personally haven't tried any.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subyng posted:

Baronjutter, since you love European style so much, there are currently a bunch of growable "Belgian" style buildings on the workshop that might suit you, although I personally haven't tried any.

Those look amazing but without the ability to specify themes for a district it'll probably look wonky. I'd settle for ploppable but I don't think you can plop residential buildings.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

xzzy posted:

You need short buildings to make the tall buildings look cooler. :colbert:

That's what commercial is for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GrossMurpel posted:

That's what commercial is for.

Unless you get that same glass office tower over and over.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Just don't turn on the highrise ban after you already have highrises. Existing highrises aren't grandfathered in, they get destroyed.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Subyng posted:

Yeah there really needs to be a medium density zone.

This is all but confirmed to be coming in a future patch, the CEO of Colossal Order did an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun the other day and she mentioned tunnels and 'European style' contiguous blocks of buildings as features that were either planned or already in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jamsque posted:

This is all but confirmed to be coming in a future patch, the CEO of Colossal Order did an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun the other day and she mentioned tunnels and 'European style' contiguous blocks of buildings as features that were either planned or already in development.

If they get tunnels working right, hopefully we can get away from trains vs metros and just have above-ground and below-ground stops.