Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Everyman posted:

I'm looking recommendations on anime or manga where the protagonist is sent to a fantasy world. Its probably a plot that's been done to death but I honestly can't remember watching or reading anything that's done it outside of Escaflowne and Inuyasha, and I didn't care much for the latter. A story about being trapped in a game is good as well as long as its not like SAO or Log Horizon. I tried both, but they didn't have the stranger alone in a strange land vibe I was looking for since everyone was a player, not just the protagonist.

Have you seen Twelve Kingdoms? It's pretty much best-in-class for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everyman posted:

I'm looking recommendations on anime or manga where the protagonist is sent to a fantasy world. Its probably a plot that's been done to death but I honestly can't remember watching or reading anything that's done it outside of Escaflowne and Inuyasha, and I didn't care much for the latter. A story about being trapped in a game is good as well as long as its not like SAO or Log Horizon. I tried both, but they didn't have the stranger alone in a strange land vibe I was looking for since everyone was a player, not just the protagonist.
Magic Knight Rayearth. It's got three protagonists, but everyone else is established in the fantasy world so it should still be what you're looking for.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Those both look like they fit the bill to a tee, thanks.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Twelve Kingdoms is also one of the best things ever period.

Can someone recommend me a good, long fantasy adventure thing a la Chaika, HxH, etc.?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

It isn't particularly long, but have you watched Rage of Bahamut: Genesis?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

glomkettle posted:

It isn't particularly long, but have you watched Rage of Bahamut: Genesis?

Yeah, I was there for the whole crazy ride. I guess let me amend my request: give me something a older, like early 2000's or late 90's stuff because I've probably seen all the more recent stuff.

e: On a somewhat related note, what's with Fairy Tail missing a good 40 episodes or so? I watched a few episodes on CR before realizing there was a huge chunk of stuff missing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 7, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slayers?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Twelve Kingdoms is also one of the best things ever period.

Can someone recommend me a good, long fantasy adventure thing a la Chaika, HxH, etc.?

I remember enjoying the first season of Orphen (and loathing the second) enough to buy a wall scroll of it, but I recall nothing concrete about it aside from a rad scene in the OP where Mr. Orphen cuts an eel thing in half longways with his sword, and I was in high school when I watched it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, I was there for the whole crazy ride. I guess let me amend my request: give me something a older, like early 2000's or late 90's stuff because I've probably seen all the more recent stuff.

e: On a somewhat related note, what's with Fairy Tail missing a good 40 episodes or so? I watched a few episodes on CR before realizing there was a huge chunk of stuff missing.

i don't know but you don't want to watch fairy tail anyway so don't worry about it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The El-Hazard OVAs were pretty good fantasy, too, as I recall. A more recent watch, that, but I still don't really remember anything besides "I enjoyed it." I think I've heard that the TV anime was sub par?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Slayers?

I swear I've heard of this. Has it ever been described something like "a game of D&D with a high as gently caress DM turned into an anime"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I swear I've heard of this. Has it ever been described something like "a game of D&D with a high as gently caress DM turned into an anime"?
Yes. and that isn't a description, that's literally what happened. Some guys made their D&D game into an anime.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Slayers and Record of Lodoss War are two sides of the same coin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

and in the middle is the shadowrun anime we deserve

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yes. and that isn't a description, that's literally what happened. Some guys made their D&D game into an anime.

Really? I thought that was mostly a joke. I guess I'll check out Slayers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Everyman posted:

No Game No Life. Because ADTRW is weird I will say 'there are boobs'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

attached to an 11 year old, don't watch ngnl

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

No Game No Life. Because ADTRW is weird I will say 'there are boobs'

NGNL is a good show you should never recommend to people. Ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Louie the Rune Soldier is smack in the middle of that coin.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

NGNL is a good show you should never recommend to people. Ever.

I feel like I've missed something.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

DamnGlitch posted:

It's pretty horrid

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
I remember NGNL. Also Slayers is pretty great, you should definitely watch it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DamnGlitch posted:

It has a lot of good ideas, but it's also tainted by a lot of creepy ideas so it's always gonna be heavily divisive. The story could be building up to some rebuttal on those ideas, but I'm probably giving the writer too much credit.

As for trapped in another world shows, I'll also second the El Hazard OVAs. They were pretty decent. If you're ok with kids' shows, technically Digimon and Monster Rancher fit the bill too.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Fill in the blank: Nozaki, My Little Monster, ___________

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Allarion posted:

As for trapped in another world shows, I'll also second the El Hazard OVAs. They were pretty decent. If you're ok with kids' shows, technically Digimon and Monster Rancher fit the bill too.

I looked up El Hazard and the fact that their teacher gets sucked along for the ride is enough for me to give it a shot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

John McClane posted:

lovely complex

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wth, crunchyroll translates Cantus in from the new world as Power?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

John McClane posted:

Lovely Complex

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Black Stones posted:

Lovely Complex

You don't say???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

John McClane posted:

My Love Story, manga only at the moment, anime tomorrow.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Okay alcoholic history teacher inexplicably hulking out is the best. :allears: Thanks for suggesting El Hazard.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

John McClane posted:

The Bonnouji anime which has to come eventually, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

John McClane posted:

It's manga but Taiyou no Ie, absolutely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

wth, crunchyroll translates Cantus in from the new world as Power?

There was a lot of fansubber bullshit floating around with initial From The New World translations -- the licensed subtitles are generally more accurate, or so I've read.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So thanks for recommending Slayers, but which ones are worth watching? It looks like there's a ton of different things including movies ova's a several seasons. Obviously I'm starting off with the first season, but how much of the rest is worth watching and how much is forgettable?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it was made before 2000 it's reasonably worth watching, after forget it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just the first three original seasons: Slayers, Slayers NEXT, and Slayers TRY. Revolution/Evolution-R (the new seasons) were a waste of everyone's time. I think some of the OVAs/movies with Naga have some fans but I was never one of them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

So thanks for recommending Slayers, but which ones are worth watching? It looks like there's a ton of different things including movies ova's a several seasons. Obviously I'm starting off with the first season, but how much of the rest is worth watching and how much is forgettable?

Watch them all, then watch k-on

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

Definitely watch Slayers, Slayers NEXT and Slayers TRY.

Slayers Evolution/Revolution-R come after Slayers TRY, but I found the series lacked the charm of the original 3.

All of the OAVs (Slayers Special and Slayers Excellent) and all except the last movie (Slayers the Movie, Slayers Return, Slayers Great, Slayers Gorgeous) are prequels which only involve Lina, and none of the other characters from the series. Lina is pared up with a character similar to her called Naga.

I enjoyed the first movie and the first set of OAVs, but I haven't watched the other movies or other OAVs because I didn't like Naga that much.

The final movie, Slayers Premium reunites the cast of the anime series. I found it OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone got some good Mystery anime? The closer they come to channeling the Ace Attorney moment where the hero makes a key breakthrough/accusation and the really cool music kicks in, the better. Preferably something generally akin to Ace Attorney in tone - some seriousness isn't a problem, but I'm primarily looking for a fun mystery show.

P.S: I'm not abandoning my Katanagatari watchthrough/trip-report, for anyone who's waiting on more of that.

• Locked thread