Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

It's because they're "head and shoulders" above the rest.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nike loves ugly crap too.

The sword numbers are so dumb that I sorta love them.

kayakyakr posted:

It's because they're "head and shoulders" above the rest.

:v:

......goddamnit I shouldn't be laughing at this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

computer parts posted:

They should do the Detroit flag even though they're not based there.

great flag

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
DsO rules.

Deteriorata posted:

The Michigan state flag is really boring and dumb.

People would be pissed about anything based on it, not just Michigan uniforms.

We've had plenty of bad jerseys the last few years, anyway.
I'm surprised we don't have a deer-based mascot at any level above high school in the state.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sal Interdonato @salinterdonato
#Army Athletics will reveal new logo and nickname change (#BlackKnights to Cadets) at rebranding event on April 13 at Eisenhower Hall.
11:24 AM - 6 Apr 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

DsO rules.
I'm surprised we don't have a deer-based mascot at any level above high school in the state.

Wolverines for the Wolverine State.
Chippewas for the tribe.
Eagles was a compromise change after Hurons.
Broncos after the original nickname of Hilltoppers was taken.
Spartans came from some local restaurant owners from the actual Sparta, after the original nickname of "Michigan Staters" kind of sucked.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Rutgers sword numbers own you bitches.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

Sal Interdonato @salinterdonato
#Army Athletics will reveal new logo and nickname change (#BlackKnights to Cadets) at rebranding event on April 13 at Eisenhower Hall.
11:24 AM - 6 Apr 2015

:smith:

Why are they changing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Why are they changing?

It's the new, non-violent Army.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Dropping something cool and unique to pick up something boring and lame seems right up the Army's alley.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

Why are they changing?

Because they're trying to be more like Navy. :hehe:

Although yeah, they could def pick something better than "Cadets." What's the Army equivalent of a Midshipman?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm guessing it's a cadet

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

What's the Army equivalent of a Midshipman?

Cadet, I think.

EFB.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Yeah they are going back to the pre-1999 teams names of Cadets, which mirrors the Midshipmen team names at Navy. I don't really care for the team name that much since the Army brand was always way stronger, and will be more interested in the uniforms.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm guessing it's a cadet
:doh:

Well then gently caress me, right?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You know some SJW got mad that they were called the "black" knights. And they had to change it a la Hawaii.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

vyst posted:

You know some SJW got mad that they were called the "black" knights. And they had to change it a la Hawaii.

Yea that didn't happen at all what the hell

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vyst posted:

You know some skeleton got mad that they were called the "black" knights. And they had to change it a la Hawaii.

skeletons are often afraid of black knights, especially one's carrying maces or clubs.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Well that will allow Army to beat Navy.

No it won't, anchors away bitch

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I always thought the Black Knights name was dumb anyway; it confuses them with UCF and they've only beaten Navy once since switching names.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

vyst posted:

And what the gently caress are you talking about with Hawaii? The Warriors thing was all June Jones since he didn't think the Rainbow was intense enough. In 2013 they changed all male sports teams back to the Rainbow Warrior, thought they kept the green H as their logo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Dropping something cool and unique to pick up something boring and lame seems right up the Army's alley.

Cadets is a name that only Army uses and used for a long time before. There are tons of Knight teams. What the gently caress are you talking about?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alouicious posted:

skeletons are often afraid of black knights, especially one's carrying maces or clubs.

The best extension

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Alouicious posted:

I thought they were scared of paladins and not black nights? Turn undead is a holy spell which I didn't know black knights had access to

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Cadets is a name that only Army uses and used for a long time before. There are tons of Knight teams. What the gently caress are you talking about?

I didn't realize they were the cadets pre-99. I fully support them going back to their historical name. Carry on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

hahaha gently caress off with this stupid poo poo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Academy talk reminds me that the Air Force Academy is joining the Big XII next year as an affiliate for wrestling. gently caress a Falcon.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

hahaha gently caress off with this stupid poo poo

Oh come on MV it was too easy. :downsrim:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

There are no loving Black Knight sports teams what are you talking about? I don't care what Rutgers or UCF calls themselves, it's definitely not Black Knights.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Black Knights is the Army parachute demo team, so it never made sense to me

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Sash! posted:

The Black Knights is the Army parachute demo team, so it never made sense to me

That's the Golden Knights.

The following things are Black Knights:

- Monty Python(inspired by Arthurian legend)
- Gary Player
- Army's sports teams

Nobody's ever confusing that name with anything else ever and if you are it's probably some obscure nerdy poo poo you shouldn't talk about in public.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 7, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife is dragging me to some weird scrimmage in Tuscaloosa next week. As an Illinois alum (and sad fan) what are my duties in terms of a spouse's team? I'm forced to wear their colors but I don't have to cheer enthusiastically right

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
You are now an Alabama fan, congrats

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Black Knights" could in theory be adopted to any school that happened to wear black while "Cadets" is a distinctly Army thing and has a long history with the program so this seems fine to me and also Army Football is complete butts so who really cares.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You are now an Alabama fan, congrats

This seems like a way more satisfying and enjoyable experience than rooting for Illinois in anything anyway so I'd just embrace it.

Like unless you are in fact Kurt Kittner there is no way you were really THAT invested in Illinois football, come on. I've been to that stadium. Y'all don't care at all. Deep down you don't really want to cheer for a team who could reasonably refer to a team coached by Ron Zook as "the good days" anyway. Roll Tide.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea going to watch a good football team doesn't seem like such a horrible thing

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mastershakeman posted:

My wife is dragging me to some weird scrimmage in Tuscaloosa next week. As an Illinois alum (and sad fan) what are my duties in terms of a spouse's team? I'm forced to wear their colors but I don't have to cheer enthusiastically right

Any time there is an incomplete pass, screen pass for a loss, or an interception, repeat this phrase with as much drawl as possible:

"They ought to run the dang ball."

You will be welcomed as a hero.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ARE YOU READY FOR A BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (in 2016)?????????????????????

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...relaxed-by-2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea going to watch a good football team doesn't seem like such a horrible thing

Spring games are literally practice and pretty dang boring tbh so I'd be annoyed with that part but you should totally buy one of those dumb Bear Bryant hats and jump in with both feet once actual games start

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MourningView posted:

there is no way you were really THAT invested in Illinois football, come on. I've been to that stadium. Y'all don't care at all. Deep down you don't really want to cheer for a team who could reasonably refer to a team coached by Ron Zook as "the good days" anyway. Roll Tide.

Man while this is true there are just things that we shouldn't really say out loud you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT's B-Back situation got worse.

Quaide Weimerskirch, our early enrollee who was expected to get some significant playing time next year, injured his foot and is out for the rest of the Spring and questionable for the season. After some shuffling around, our depth at B-Back is now C.J. Leggett, a converted LB, and two walk-ons.

There are rumors that we're getting a transfer B-Back, though. No names yet, though speculation is that former Kentucky RB Josh Clemons fits the bill. He supposedly is looking to transfer somewhere close to his family in Fayetteville, GA and he looks like he's got the skills we need, just an unlucky streak with injuries. If he is indeed transferring here, and can learn the system and not get hurt, then I think he'd be a good addition. I'd certainly feel more comfortable with him than with what we've currently got. Anyone know more about Clemons?

• Locked thread