Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Because it's a Nintendo joint, and in order to be a non-Nintendo guest, a character has to be an exceptionally big deal.

Again, when announcing Mega Man, Sakurai said "I'm not going to let just anyone participate from other companies", and that highly selective attitude has been borne out in all the third-party guests so far. Even Rayman, who Ubi has been fairly open about wanting to get into the game, didn't make the cut (at least not for launch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

simon belmont is funny because at this rate, konami has hosed castlevania so hard that nobody's even sure who are what simon belmont looks or acts like. last we saw him, he was looking like a Death Note character in that awful Judgment game for Wii.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I voted for Wolf.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

sharrrk posted:

I voted for Wolf.

Good man. It's a shame he was cut and Falco was left in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fibby Boy posted:

Good man. It's a shame he was cut and Falco Fox was left in.

:colbert:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

simon belmont is funny because at this rate, konami has hosed castlevania so hard that nobody's even sure who are what simon belmont looks or acts like. last we saw him, he was looking like a Death Note character in that awful Judgment game for Wii.

Some companies are more flexible than others about this. Apparently Mega Man was really easy; Sakurai wanted classic NES Mega Man and Capcom was amenable to that. Meanwhile, Sonic and Pacman are a lot more tightly-controlled model and colour wise.

If Simon were in the game, worst-case is Konami enforces the most recent design, best-case is the SSB art team gets the freedom to come up with a new retro-inspired model.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

That's also acceptable.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

If they do end up picking a Castlevania character, I can't wait to see how they handle translating the classic shuffle walk into 3d. Pretty much everyone from Castlevania moves around like they're on a treadmill.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Step aside indie nubs we've got the creator of Adventure Quest campaigning for exposure.

Vote for a character from a browser-based flash game to be in Smash Bros.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Supercar Gautier posted:

Because it's a Nintendo joint, and in order to be a non-Nintendo guest, a character has to be an exceptionally big deal.

Again, when announcing Mega Man, Sakurai said "I'm not going to let just anyone participate from other companies", and that highly selective attitude has been borne out in all the third-party guests so far. Even Rayman, who Ubi has been fairly open about wanting to get into the game, didn't make the cut (at least not for launch).
Big deal is such a subjective term, I'd say Shovel Knight has a bigger presence then Simon Belmont, Banjo, and Black Mage, since he currently has a massive presence. A "big deal" isn't just isn't solely "This guy was really big during the NES generation" it can also mean now, which a lot of indy characters are currently.

I guess what I'm saying is there's always hope, you can look at what Sakurai says a numerous amounts of different ways but just giving up and deeming it impossible because he said he won't isn't the spirit. Go out there and vote for your out-of-nowhere characters because who knows maybe Nintendo might be on board and Sakurai might change his mind(He did on Villager mind you). You never really know till you try.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Step aside indie nubs we've got the creator of Adventure Quest campaigning for exposure.

lmao

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

I thought that was another fire emblem character at first

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm voting for Metal Slug

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

GenericMartini posted:

I mean i'm indifferent since I voted Wonder Red and if I did vote again I'd vote for like an Inkling or Henry Fleming.

I would love for someone from Codename STEAM to show up, but even though Henry's the main character I feel like Lion or Califia would be better fits simply because Henry's primary weapon shoots bullets which the Smash devs try to avoid including. I can actually see Califia playing a lot like Snake in terms of weapons, but without the stealth takedown throws.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Henry Fleming is voiced by a shithead and so I am opposed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wonder Red doesn't belong in smash.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i will voice henry fleming, in his place

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Wonder Red doesn't belong in smash.

actually, he does

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I voted for Silver the Hedgehog

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are these the same guys that did Cookie Clicker? I'd loving vote for the Cookie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If any Cookie Clicker character is getting in it should be the grandma.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That's a weird drawing of Hector but I'm down with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mycot posted:

If any Cookie Clicker character is getting in it should be the grandma.

It'd be perfect. Every hit she lands adds up to her Cookie Total and after X amount you turn into the eldrich Grandma of nightmares.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

I voted for Silver the Hedgehog

Amy Rose holding a chao /Rosalina and Luma clone.

A vote for Master Higgins is a vote for LIFE

Also, vote for Arthur from Ghosts N Goblins N Ghouls so we can have underwear duels with Shulk

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dresh posted:

I would love for someone from Codename STEAM to show up, but even though Henry's the main character I feel like Lion or Califia would be better fits simply because Henry's primary weapon shoots bullets which the Smash devs try to avoid including. I can actually see Califia playing a lot like Snake in terms of weapons, but without the stealth takedown throws.

I think I already said it once but still I'd like a Codename Steam stage just so that they can have codec calls but it's just James Urbaniak as Randolph Carter talking about the various fighters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm voting for the Wizards and Warriors guy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think I already said it once but still I'd like a Codename Steam stage just so that they can have codec calls but it's just James Urbaniak as Randolph Carter talking about the various fighters.

have it be doctor venture instead

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Voted for him, Strong bad, Scout from TF2, Garfield, Felix the Cat.

E: Holy gently caress how did i not think about voting Shrek?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh my god, Carter speaking about the Smash cast like the Lovecraftian horrors that most of them are is the best thing I never knew I wanted.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

STEAM Abraham Lincoln is the proper way to go.

With a James Urbaniak assist trophy that does nothing but talk about science stuff.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Chattur'gha for smash 4.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

King K Rool doesn't belong in smash.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

begone

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Doomguy is one of the most popular videogame characters and has been on nintendo consoles. Rip and tear.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He does

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Doomguy is one of the most popular videogame characters and has been on nintendo consoles. Rip and tear.

Ridley is huge. That means he has huge guts.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm like a page late but what the gently caress is with the Wolf hate. Wolf is about as much of a "clone" of Fox as Luigi is of Mario, they play almost completely differently.

Roy hate is justified though, he's almost exactly like Marth and we already have a character who's literally just Marth 2.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Master chief when?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

sharrrk posted:

despite what i've said before about some characters not having a chance of getting in, i genuinely believe that if every single person voted for goku and no one else, they would do everything in their power to put him in the game

I don't want Goku in, but I think he'd actually be easier to get than some third party characters. I don't think Toei is particularly picky on who they work with and Goku has a long video game history dating back to the Famicom (though none of those games got on the NES). Toei would probably be very specific about Goku's design, though, especially given the character has had so many redesigns over the years.

I think that purely logistically, they'd probably have an easier time working with Toei making Goku fit than working with Microsoft making Banjo-Kazooie fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Just vote for Wang-Tang or something, same difference.

• Locked thread