Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Omnicrom posted:

If you're talking about Kannazuki no Miko it's going to evolve from forgettable to reprehensible in the next episode he covers.

Well, at least now he has something to make fun of? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching: Point of Attack! Eddie inspires a troubled youth to be as least like him as possible.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-point-of-attack/

Eddie got a save? Where was Mitch?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am always astounded at how much money nerds are willing to throw around to have someone vindicate their guilty pleasure rape/incest/lesbian/ fetish shows. I'm pretty sure it was probably only one person asking sf debris to cover kannazuki no miko, and cover the entire series. Let me put this into perspective for you: getting Chuck to do a review of an episode for you is expensive. Like, really loving expensive. Fifty bucks will get you a review of a one hour long television program, with the review ranging from 14 to 30 minutes. Animated shows or 30 minute episodes cost about half of that, while full movie reviews are 150 to 200 bucks. So I'm assuming kanazuki is a regular 24 episode season, somebody spent at least 600 dollars for sf debris to validate their lesbian romance obsession.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am always astounded at how much money nerds are willing to throw around to have someone vindicate their guilty pleasure rape/incest/lesbian/ fetish shows. I'm pretty sure it was probably only one person asking sf debris to cover kannazuki no miko, and cover the entire series. Let me put this into perspective for you: getting Chuck to do a review of an episode for you is expensive. Like, really loving expensive. Fifty bucks will get you a review of a one hour long television program, with the review ranging from 14 to 30 minutes. Animated shows or 30 minute episodes cost about half of that, while full movie reviews are 150 to 200 bucks. So I'm assuming kanazuki is a regular 24 episode season, somebody spent at least 600 dollars for sf debris to validate their lesbian romance obsession.

Lucky for all of us, it is only 12 episodes. The barely functional animation is a mild tipoff on that count. (Not that long-running series can't also have bad animation, it's just usually a different breed of bad-looking from Kannazuki no Miko's which is FRINGE APPEAL SERIES THAT WAS GIVEN NO MONEY OR TALENT BEHIND IT RIGHT FROM THE START BUT MAYBE WE WILL BREAK EVEN OR GET LUCKY.)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Madoka at least made sense because it's well recieved as I recall, the general consensus of this show as far as I can see is that it's bland and worthless. Why would you even bother spending 600 bucks to make this poor guy trudge through something he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about? Why not ask for like an episode and see that "Oh, he clearly hates it, welp better not spend an absurd amount of money on it!"

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think they just assumed he would enjoy it too.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

From personal experience, people rarely request things they think are bad. I think the only time it's happened for SFDebris was with Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth, and it's never happened to me. 99% of the time, these people are looking to get their positive views on a work vindicated.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I suspect part of the popularity just comes from the fact that there didn't seem to be a lot of options for lesbian romance at the time that weren't "we're gay because we're in an all girls school, but when we graduate, we'll settle down with a man and pop out babies like nature intended." Homosexual love between schoolmates is apparently just a Thing in Japan, but it's expected that you'll grow out of it, so it's hard to find a romance that might continue into adulthood.

KnM doesn't seem to supply anything really GOOD there, but I don't think there was a whole lot of competition in that area.

(I assume the constant boob stuff and the doormat waifu poo poo also contributed a lot. It seems a lot of nerds are REALLY into the character of "sweet, innocent martyr girl with no will of her own.")

ETA:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why would you even bother spending 600 bucks to make this poor guy trudge through something he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about? Why not ask for like an episode and see that "Oh, he clearly hates it, welp better not spend an absurd amount of money on it!"

When people really like a thing, they have a hard time understanding that others may not like that thing. Also they want to advertise it all over so it gets more fans.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Zephirum posted:

I think they just assumed he would enjoy it too.

Projection is one of the hallmarks of fandom - anyone who's been cornered for ten minutes while someone tells you about their favorite anime/D&D campaign/"funny" story about meeting some convention celebrity has been on the wrong end of that projection. Or 45 minutes stuck on an airport shuttle to MAGFest while someone talked at me about Battletoads.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

poparena posted:

From personal experience, people rarely request things they think are bad. I think the only time it's happened for SFDebris was with Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth, and it's never happened to me. 99% of the time, these people are looking to get their positive views on a work vindicated.

The intro the the Howard the Duck review was hilarious, explaining how he got the request.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

stillvisions posted:

Or 45 minutes stuck on an airport shuttle to MAGFest while someone talked at me about Battletoads.
Are you wearing a Gamestop uniform 24/7

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Puppy Time posted:

I suspect part of the popularity just comes from the fact that there didn't seem to be a lot of options for lesbian romance at the time that weren't "we're gay because we're in an all girls school, but when we graduate, we'll settle down with a man and pop out babies like nature intended." Homosexual love between schoolmates is apparently just a Thing in Japan, but it's expected that you'll grow out of it, so it's hard to find a romance that might continue into adulthood.

KnM doesn't seem to supply anything really GOOD there, but I don't think there was a whole lot of competition in that area.

(I assume the constant boob stuff and the doormat waifu poo poo also contributed a lot. It seems a lot of nerds are REALLY into the character of "sweet, innocent martyr girl with no will of her own.")

It's probably worth mentioning at this point that KnM is based on a manga made by two guys who have made a career basically being lovely F-Listers trying to ride on the CLAMP bandwagon. The reason the show plays out like lovely cheap titillation made by shockjock hacks is simply because it is lovely titillation made by shockjock hacks.

As for the Schoolgirl Lesbians it's at least enough of a thing in Japanese media for Kunihiko Ikuhara to make an entire anime critiquing it. Of course if you've seen an Ikuhara show you should be unsurprised that it eventually involves Zombie Cyborg Bear powered flower death lasers because Ikuhara is completely bugfuck insane.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

stillvisions posted:

Projection is one of the hallmarks of fandom - anyone who's been cornered for ten minutes while someone tells you about their favorite anime/D&D campaign/"funny" story about meeting some convention celebrity has been on the wrong end of that projection. Or 45 minutes stuck on an airport shuttle to MAGFest while someone talked at me about Battletoads.

Battletoads has a fandom? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just remember it as that game with the vehicle level that cause me and my brother to quit playing because we couldn't beat it. I remember it being pretty fun up until toad destroying application of inertia via walls.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Battletoads doesn't have a fandom. It had a 4chan meme that was funny for approximately two days, but has endured long after it soured many years ago.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

IronicDongz posted:

Are you wearing a Gamestop uniform 24/7

I made the mistake of trying to strike up conversation because we had a boring shuttle ride to a gaming convention and from the guy's conversation with who I could only assume was his dad it was obvious he was going there. The dad gave an apologetic look after it began and any attempts by myself or the dad to drag the conversation back to non-Battletoads hit a wall.

Gyges posted:

Battletoads has a fandom? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just remember it as that game with the vehicle level that cause me and my brother to quit playing because we couldn't beat it. I remember it being pretty fun up until toad destroying application of inertia via walls.

He had started by talking about how he needed to meet various streamers and LPers because he was trying to do that as his living and needed them to follow him, so I can only assume he was giving me a sampling of his online work by doing his schtick, which mostly consisted of a blow-by-blow account of how the levels progressed. Given the dad accompanying someone who looked old enough to travel on his own and his inability to recognize hints to change the subject it felt like there was some sort of social deficit going on; it's kind of an unfair example of projection but it's probably the worst example I've hit by virtue of being trapped in a van going at highway speeds for it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

stillvisions posted:

I made the mistake of trying to strike up conversation because we had a boring shuttle ride to a gaming convention and from the guy's conversation with who I could only assume was his dad it was obvious he was going there. The dad gave an apologetic look after it began and any attempts by myself or the dad to drag the conversation back to non-Battletoads hit a wall.

He had started by talking about how he needed to meet various streamers and LPers because he was trying to do that as his living and needed them to follow him, so I can only assume he was giving me a sampling of his online work by doing his schtick, which mostly consisted of a blow-by-blow account of how the levels progressed. Given the dad accompanying someone who looked old enough to travel on his own and his inability to recognize hints to change the subject it felt like there was some sort of social deficit going on; it's kind of an unfair example of projection but it's probably the worst example I've hit by virtue of being trapped in a van going at highway speeds for it.

You need to always be on the lookout for a soft embankment or lake along the road for use to tuck and roll to safety. If necessary, employ Salinger Captain America's patented car theft method.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm so happy that there's someone out there whose life dream is to make a living playing Battletoads.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

kaleidolia posted:

Also, didn't realise Jackula had been picked up. I guess CA was too busy making sure people got their 47k worth of gameshow to actually promote anyone.

I challenge anyone to name all the new talent that got picked up, and what they produce.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

stillvisions posted:

Or 45 minutes stuck on an airport shuttle to MAGFest while someone talked at me about Battletoads.

Sheesh, did Diabetus at least give you an autograph afterwards?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

lornekates posted:

I challenge anyone to name all the new talent that got picked up, and what they produce.

I'd like to further add-on and challenge people to swim through the chaff and pick out the good ones if any exist. I'm reminded of the last time Linkara did a "Previously on" segment a month or two ago and it featured cameos from about a dozen people I had never seen before in my life. Unfortunately for this parade of fresh meat on the altar of Channel Awesome after that segment ended I was not inclined to run out and find out who they were.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
The only ones I like-slash-remember are Chez Apocalypse people anyway, like Rantasmo and Sursum Ursa.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

PassTheRemote posted:

Eddie got a save? Where was Mitch?

Mitch was taking a break that episode while preparing to battle an annoying dog a couple episodes later.

As for CA's new talent, it's unfortunate that they were brought on the way they were. There's just a lot going against the site redesign (lack of redirect from the old site, lack of being able to navigate it, huge drop down menu, no descriptions of anyone), none of which are their fault but ends up hurting them. They also were unfortunate to be hired all at once, so the cluster of new people on the site posting 12 videos a day means everything is buried and there's no name recognition. This also hurts the site, because it doesn't even seem like TGWTG anymore. These were issues that were brought up and told would be fixed, but none of it ever happened. There was supposed to be a page listing the producers and describing their shows (never happened), as well as show trailers embedded (we made them, no idea if any were put up), as well as the "producer spotlight" which was predictably updated about once every time Brigadoon shows up.

ANYWHO, a lot of us (okay, all of us) old-timers from there were lucky to join when we did because everything was still sort of new and forming. A lot of the new folks are good people but very green, and since a lot of the older folks have improved on a technical level at the very least, it's a bit of a step backwards to have so many all at once. Again not meant as a knock against any of them, and it's not necessarily true for all of them either.

That being said, SF Debris, Count Jackula, and Shark Jumping are all great. SF Debris has his own following outside of TGWTG anyway, but those are my recommendations if you guys don't know who would be worth checking out. I'd definitely say you should watch them on their respective sites and channels though. ;)

EDIT: Also wanted to recommend a site that TGWTG rejected but is nonetheless amazing, Panicdotes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpu_Ib2Vwp8

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching: Point of Attack! Eddie inspires a troubled youth to be as least like him as possible.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-point-of-attack/

That sidewalk montage is like the creators saw the "Streets of philly" opening sequence from Philadelphia, and, like me, they realised it was the only good part of the movie. Which is unlikely because that episode came out before Philadelphia. Unless Jonathan Demme got the idea FROM Baywatch....OH NO.
Wow, almost everyone in this show seems as if they're completely unlikeable. Thank god Eddie's getting stabbed next episode, hooray!

poparena posted:

Oh I dunno, I think I've had people request bad things, although usually it is something they want me to like. Naturally if the premise of the show is "I review bad things!" then people are going to request only bad things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

Eh, it does some interesting stuff, it's an early Rare effort, and the hardness appeals to "hardcore gamers"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember one of Linkara's anniversary videos where SF Debris made a surprise cameo, sounding very confused that he was dragged away from his reviews to try and appease a bunch of strangers.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

no descriptions of anyone

Probably the worst for them (tied with no categorization). It's like shopping in a candy store in another country that doesn't have any English on the packaging. The brief glimpse you get of it may look good, but are you going to get sweet, sweet chocolate-cherry, or are you going to get mouth-fart durian fruit flavor? What if you only got one piece of candy per week?

Miss Wallace posted:

everything is buried and there's no name recognition. This also hurts the site, because it doesn't even seem like TGWTG anymore.

It could have been such an easy fix. Phase in all the new talent once every two weeks-- to coincide with the most recent episode of NC. Dedicate one mid-roll (or an after-review but pre-credit scene) to the new producer. Either play their trailer, or have Doug do a rapid-fire "Shut Up And Talk" with them, just enough to introduce the person, their show, what they cover, what to expect. Throw a link to their show underneath the video. BAM, loving done-- enough people watch the NC to expose each new talent to hundreds of thousands of eyeballs. That would get enough people clicking through to taste-test their show to build an audience. Producers thrive, TGWTG thrives, everyone still feels welcome into "the family".

Miss Wallace posted:

the "producer spotlight" which was predictably updated about once every time Brigadoon shows up.

If only there were some way to pre-load a list of producers to spotlight-- say in a base of data or something-- and to somehow compute when it was their week to be highlighted. Or even-- and this is like really far-future science fiction stuff here-- but a way to have a machine randomly pick a producer who hasn't been spotlighted yet, and do so. Such a fantastical system might even be able to UPDATE THE SITE BY ITSELF WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION! Okay, sorry, didn't mean to scare everyone with Skynet poo poo like that, but sometimes you just have to think about what could be...

Miss Wallace posted:

That being said, SF Debris, Count Jackula, and Shark Jumping are all great. SF Debris has his own following outside of TGWTG anyway, but those are my recommendations if you guys don't know who would be worth checking out. I'd definitely say you should watch them on their respective sites and channels though. ;)

Ditto for iRawss (The Good Hook)... though his output has plummeted recently-- and he started a new Youtube channel-- and hasn't posted a new Good Hook in favor of two "new" shows-- so I don't know what's going on there. But anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?iRawss2

harryhenry
Jan 13, 2015
When it comes to internet critics, this one's a favorite of mine: Oliver Harper's Retrospectives & Reviews. These reviews have more of a "Documentary" feel to them (Hence why they're called retrospective/reviews) than your typical internet reviews. I think they're fantastic, and this guy really knows video editing with his use of editing and music, which very well done especially during the opening and closing "Trailers" of his reviews. Here's one of his videos, on the James Cameron directed movie True Lies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzNDzd8tno

harryhenry fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 8, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

harryhenry posted:

... a favorite of mine: Oliver Harper's Retrospectives & Reviews ...

Seconded.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Moartoast posted:

I like VTMB, but Noah made some really salient points about its major pitfalls. Dude gives respect where it's due, but also critique where it's deserved, and regardless of why that game turned out the way it did, it deserves a lot of critique. I feel like a lot of the garbage that bogged that game down is handwaved just out of the goodwill that Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian built with their much better games, and that's coming from someone who utterly adores them otherwise. Its cringeworthy (sometimes to a genuinely uncomfortable degree, and not in the way they intended) attempts at edginess basically made it the worst-written game from those devs, unless you count Dungeon Siege 3, which was bad by virtue of being :geno:: The Game.

Though I don't think Noah played with the giant fan patches, which do significantly improve the game, I think it's fair that he criticized it as-is, and a lot of his points still stand, even with the massive restoration mod(s).

I'm also surprised this thread hasn't really paid much mind to Noah Caldwell-Gervais, dude has a hell of a talent for well-articulated, long-form analysis, and while he's very honest about his opinions, he doesn't take "honesty" as an excuse to be miserably cynical or gratuitously smug/antagonistic. Just bear in mind that you'll hear a couple line flubs per video and won't see much sync between visuals and commentary, since most of his time is dedicated to the writing, and each video is so long that doing several takes and editing them would be nothing short of a nightmare, especially for a busy working-class dude who has an actual life and poo poo. His Patreon's been doing relatively well, though, and that money's likely gone to his equipment and editing getting better in recent videos. Dude deserves way more recognition and support than he currently has, imho, and it's cool to see he's been getting a bit more lately :unsmith:

He's really great. I can't say enough how much I appreciate him for just making videos and giving analysis without trying to be a personality or making things look slick or quick-cut. He's got probably the ugliest videos in internet criticism but some of the best actual ideas.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mike J has two videos on the Dungeons & Dragons sequels. The movies about as bad as the original but twice as boring.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mind if I post someone's Pateron? Carolyn Pitt https://www.patreon.com/carolynpetit

For those who don't know she is a former editor of Gamespot.com, who was let go during a massive restructuring. (I think all but two editors there are english now, all the other americans with the company are now with Giant Bomb.) She's "best" known for her review of GTA 5 where she gave the game 9/10 but criticized it for it's sexist humor, pissing off A LOT of people. I think this is when I realized "Wow, gamers are lovely, lovely people.

Since then she has been doing freelance gaming writing. I've seen her stuff on Vice.com but I think shes writing in other places too. She is the kind of voice we need more of in gaming and I hope you kick a couple bucks her way.

Edit: Is ten bucks to much for a pateron? Also, I just realized something, does Pateton get a cut of what creators bring in?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 9, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Is ten bucks to much for a pateron? Also, I just realized something, does Pateton get a cut of what creators bring in?
Whether or not it's too much depends on you (how much you want to spend, if it's per video or per month, and if you set a cap), but it's not an unusual number from other folks with some money to spare. Patreon does get a small percentage of what we make but it's not a lot.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Thanks to whoever recommended Welcome to the Basement. I've been going through their backlog recently and its a lot of fun. Glad to see someone else was exposed to the craziness of "The Ninth Configuration".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Robert Denby posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Welcome to the Basement. I've been going through their backlog recently and its a lot of fun.

Same here. Really enjoying these guys!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
New Happy Harry cartoon
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/655933
Yeah he hasn't uploaded up on Youtube

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Really enjoyed the new Baywatching withe stabbin' hobo, with any luck he'll be a season regular. I see some things in the opening credits and can't wait until Lupa gets to them because they seem daft as gently caress.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

Really enjoyed the new Baywatching withe stabbin' hobo, with any luck he'll be a season regular. I see some things in the opening credits and can't wait until Lupa gets to them because they seem daft as gently caress.

Thanks! Unfortunately Hector never makes a reappearance, but there's no shortage of goofy bad guys on this show.

What things in the credits are you curious about? Maybe I can elaborate.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately Hector never makes a reappearance, but there's no shortage of goofy bad guys on this show.

What on earth is Hobie short for? Hobarth?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

Mitch in that wig. Has that come up yet? Is Mitch dressed as a lady? Is the Hoff playing Mitch's own sister? If not, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

I knew a character that knew the correct way to deal with Eddie wouldn't last.

Most of the Pamela Anderson stuff but I think I just need more context for that because I can't judge if her reactions are good or bad. Also this:

And

• Locked thread