Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silver Falcon posted:

Son of a bitch. None of the FAQs I checked for strategy mentioned that! That's two instances now where an stupid FAQ either left out important information, or their info was just straight up wrong.

The other instance was the one that told me to use Super Missiles on Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2. :v:

I'm almost positive you can use Super Missiles on Dark Samus in Prime 2. It was only normal missiles that would be deflected by its phazon shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How did it tell you to fight Mogenar, out of curiosity?

Lesee. Going back a few days now... It said to do basically what I had been doing, which was to focus on each of his orbs individually, blow it out in Hyper Mode, then switch to Morph Ball when he did the foot thing. It said to stay on the opposite side of the arena from him, wait until he charged, side-step, and get into Morph Ball to bomb is legs, then get out of Morph Ball fast to dodge his shock wave. I can see that phase especially would have been a lot easier if I'd stayed in Hyper Mode when going into Morph Ball. Trouble is, I didn't even know you could do Morph Ball when in Hyper Mode until I got the Power-Up that Mogenar dropped. :v:

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm almost positive you can use Super Missiles on Dark Samus in Prime 2. It was only normal missiles that would be deflected by its phazon shield.

Really? Maybe in the second phase, then. In her first phase the Super Missiles would just bounce off her same as the normal ones.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Not a Children posted:

Please enlighten us as to what you think are better RPGs

Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Lightning Returns, Monster Hunter 4,Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 10, Dark Souls, Booldborne, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Vesperia, Trails in the Sky, Esca & Logy, Final Fantasy 12, Ys: Origins, Ys OoF, Ys 7, Dragon Quest 8, Dragon Quest 5, Monster Rancher, Xenoblade, Brave Fencer Musashi, Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant, Diablo 2, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, SMT Strange Journey, Morrowind, Skyrim, Persona 3, Persona 4, SMT Nocturne, SMT 4 , Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom hearts BBS, Heroes 2 of might and Magic, Heroes 3 of Might and Magic, Baulders Gate, Baulders gate II, Panzar Dragoon Saga, Sakura Wars 5: So Long My Love, Rune Factory 3, Rune Factory 4, Harvest Moon 64, Harvest Moon Back to Nature, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Disgaea D2, Starcraft, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, Suikoden 2, Suikoden 3, Suikoden 5, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together, Ogre Battle 64, South Park: The Stick of Truth.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 7, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

worthless words you copypasted

diablo and harvest moon aren't rpgs, noob. They're action clicky and farm sims, respectively. Heh, reaped by your own reeking taint

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Please keep your taints safe

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

diablo and harvest moon aren't rpgs, noob. They're action clicky and farm sims, respectively. Heh, reaped by your own reeking taint

They're RPGs Diablo is an action RPG.

Harvest Moon is a ROLE PLAYING GAME

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Lightning Returns, Monster Hunter 4,Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 10, Dark Souls, Booldborne, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Vesperia, Trails in the Sky, Esca & Logy, Final Fantasy 12, Ys: Origins, Ys OoF, Ys 7, Dragon Quest 8, Dragon Quest 5, Monster Rancher, Xenoblade, Brave Fencer Musashi, Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant, Diablo 2, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, SMT Strange Journey, Morrowind, Skyrim, Persona 3, Persona 4, SMT Nocturne, SMT 4 , Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom hearts BBS, Heroes 2 of might and Magic, Heroes 3 of Might and Magic, Baulders Gate, Baulders gate II, Panzar Dragoon Saga, Sakura Wars 5: So Long My Love, Rune Factory 3, Rune Factory 4, Harvest Moon 64, Harvest Moon Back to Nature, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Disgaea D2, Starcraft, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, Suikoden 2, Suikoden 3, Suikoden 5, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together, Ogre Battle 64, South Park: The Stick of Truth.

stop posting

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're RPGs Diablo is an action RPG.

Harvest Moon is a ROLE PLAYING GAME

diablo 3 is a twinstick shooter, according to my ps4 playtime. harvest moon is only a roleplaying game if you have a sexual fetish for harvest sprites and vegetable picking. perhaps you should look to gamefaqs for further game genre research, chump

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Louisgod posted:

Please keep your taints safe

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Only the most reaped of taints would suggest that Skyrim or Legend of Mana are good

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

stop posting

Stop quoting him and put him on ignore. When you quote him it means I still have to read his crap.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

diablo 3 is a twinstick shooter, according to my ps4 playtime. harvest moon is only a roleplaying game if you have a sexual fetish for harvest sprites and vegetable picking. perhaps you should look to gamefaqs for further game genre research, chump
Gamefaqs says

PS4>>Role-Playing >>Action RPG>>Diablo 3

Nintendo 64>> Strategy Role Playing Game>>General>>Harvest Moon 64.

:colbert:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gamefaqs says

PS4>>Role-Playing >>Action RPG>>Diablo 3

Nintendo 64>> Strategy Role Playing Game>>General>>Harvest Moon 64.

:colbert:

gamefaqs is basically wikipedia, anyone could change that poo poo. next ya'll gonna protest dark souls counts as "an rpg." son, dark souls is a Tactical Sword+Board Sim. Bloodborne is Tactical Survival Horror Adventure. if these are rpgs then you might as well throw in every game with an HP bar

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

gamefaqs is basically wikipedia, anyone could change that poo poo. next ya'll gonna protest dark souls counts as "an rpg." son, dark souls is a Tactical Sword+Board Sim. Bloodborne is Tactical Survival Horror Adventure. if these are rpgs then you might as well throw in every game with an HP bar

Yeah maybe you're right, I mean they have Smash brothers under "fighting" of all things!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah maybe you're right, I mean they have Smash brothers under "fighting" of all things!

smash bros is, and I quote, a "mascot sim" which is why genre curation on GameFAQs is a sham. It isn't a "fighting" game

Kingdom Hearts also falls into the genre of Mascot Sim, letting you live out your wildest fantasies as Jack Skelleton, Owl, Cloud, and The Ace of Spades card from "Alice In Wonderland"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MinibarMatchman posted:

smash bros is, and I quote, a "mascot sim" which is why genre curation on GameFAQs is a sham. It isn't a "fighting" game

Kingdom Hearts also falls into the genre of Mascot Sim, letting you live out your wildest fantasies as Jack Skelleton, Owl, Cloud, and The Ace of Spades card from "Alice In Wonderland"

But it's not as good of a Mascot sim as Super Mario RPG. :v:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Just came dangerously close to getting taint reaped.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nickoten posted:

But it's not as good of a Mascot sim as Super Mario RPG. :v:

mario rpg is not only an RPG but also a sign language aid. you can see the influence the school for the deaf and dumb had on this game in mario's "narrative" exploits. of course, once the funding went dry, nintendo said gently caress it and hired Charles Martinet in cold vengeance, ensuring Mario had the biggest, fruitiest italian accent he could muster.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You reap what you sow

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The first taint he reaped was his mother's. He was born breach, and as a member of the church of Christian Science she didn't believe in surgery and refused a C section and anaesthesia.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Adam Bowen posted:

Fair enough, TTYD is so close to being a good game that it's probably worth playing if you like Mario and RPGs.
don't get bowel bowened?

Anyway, I was wondering why this discussion came up to begin with.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is Super Paper Mario the "bad" one? I remember one of the paper marios is basically a giant weird story wherein two of the villains accept Christ at the end and live in heaven forever.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star are both really bad, in their ways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

is Super Paper Mario the "bad" one? I remember one of the paper marios is basically a giant weird story wherein two of the villains accept Christ at the end and live in heaven forever.

Uhh what

SPM isn't super great gameplay wise but it has as good a story as the first two.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star are both really bad, in their ways.

The only way they could be worse was if they were like Breath of Fire 6.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

SPM has pretty different gameplay and it manages to be pretty relentlessly boring despite its charming characters.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The only way they could be worse was if they were like Breath of Fire 6.

impressive

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

don't get bowel bowened?

Anyway, I was wondering why this discussion came up to begin with.

I get triggered by implications that TTYD isn't the one true game.

For real though it's TTYD>BIS>M&LSS>PM64>Dream Team>SMRPG>SPM>PIT. I never played Sticker Star.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super Paper Mario is really weird. There are entire chapters that are basically parodies of games. There's a dating sim parody chapter, and an MMORPG parody where you're literally running on an experience treadmill to earn enough gold to go up a level, and then a grinding chapter where you face slowly growing in difficulty enemies in increasingly identical arenas. It's not particularly fun but it's super interesting. More fun to watch than play.

The "normal" chapters where you platform around and use the world flipping mechanic are pretty fun though. Overall I enjoyed it but it's a huge departure from everything else in the series.

Also I found it weird that one indie game with the world flipping mechanic made by that weirdo in the documentary that came out a few years later was treated like a revolutionary original idea no one ever thought of before.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silver Falcon posted:

Really? Maybe in the second phase, then. In her first phase the Super Missiles would just bounce off her same as the normal ones.

Are you talking about the second or third fight?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Junpei Hyde posted:

I get triggered by implications that TTYD isn't the one true game.

For real though it's TTYD>BIS>M&LSS>PM64>Dream Team>SMRPG>SPM>PIT. I never played Sticker Star.

I'm glad I like Mario platformers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Dream Team>SMRPG

ok

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Actually yeah those should be switched around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

One of these days I should go finish TTYD. Every time I play it I keep petering out around Chapter 5 or so and I really wanna know why people love this game so much.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChaosArgate posted:

One of these days I should go finish TTYD. Every time I play it I keep petering out around Chapter 5 or so and I really wanna know why people love this game so much.

It's okay, not everyone is born with a soul.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you talking about the second or third fight?

The last one. I swear I tried to Super Missile her and it just bounced off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silver Falcon posted:

The last one. I swear I tried to Super Missile her and it just bounced off.

Multiple sources say that Dark Samus is still vulnerable to super missiles in her final fight. If my memory recalls, the only time she's immune to super missiles in that fight is when she surrounds herself in a phazon sphere and you have to absorb her phazon shots with your charge beam to knock her out of it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Multiple sources say that Dark Samus is still vulnerable to super missiles in her final fight. If my memory recalls, the only time she's immune to super missiles in that fight is when she surrounds herself in a phazon sphere and you have to absorb her phazon shots with your charge beam to knock her out of it.

I believe you. I wonder what I was doing wrong then. I can't go back and check easily, either, because I already saved my clear data. :(

Oh well, nothing to do but forge ahead in Prime 3! Next time I have trouble with a boss I'll complain about it here instead of trawling for terrible advice on GameFAQS!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

Stop quoting him and put him on ignore. When you quote him it means I still have to read his crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
What we all need is a Body Harvest reboot, finally letting it be the RPG Nintendo wanted. :allears:

• Locked thread