Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty much every successful empire ever rose to power because it learned how to appropriate cultures. Still haven't seen any concrete solution in this thread on how to stop that, or discourage people from doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Actually I don't think anybody was hand-wringing about first nations groups selling their own poo poo, the only person who complained about that was arguing that CA doesn't exist.

So it's okay if someone buys a headdress from First Nations, and wears it to a football game?

Also, dude/duda/dudot, you shouldn't call goods produced by First Nations (also, you should Capitalize) 'poo poo.' Like, racism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bro Dad posted:

I volunteer and help organize local Native American groups and most of them get a lot of their income from making traditional handicrafts and clothes, so its hilarious there's so much hand-wringing about this by white people so desperate to be seen as one of the good ones. Nobody cares who is wearing headdresses and dream catchers because it turns out they need income more than some outsider's romanticized idea of their own culture.

as someone who volunteers with impoverished shitpostless urban youths who never knew their fathers or good posting, i deeply resent the quoted post

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

hakimashou posted:

This is just writing "I like food, so we aren't going to count food" using different words.

Oh well? Really, I could care less until a signifigant portion of whatever culture in question has a problem with it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gantolandon posted:

Who are you to decide what a decent reason is, you goddamn reactionary!? :argh: :ussr:

I'm not, is up to the offender and offendee to come to terms about why they may find the usage of things difficult. I was trying to avoid anything too contentious but I didn't want to basically throw "piss christ" under a buss for the sake of an overarching idea. Basically being "offended" by something is not necessarily invalidating of the thing that made you angry BUT it is up to both sides to make their cases and try and understand each other and not act like dicks.

That's the idea anyway, I am none too sure about putting it all together.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

Actually I don't think anybody was hand-wringing about first nations groups selling their own poo poo, the only person who complained about that was arguing that CA doesn't exist.

Except you actually go to these reservations and see that most of the customers are those hipsters you hate and the occasional wholesaler. So how do you know those things weren't produced by an "authentic" native? You don't. So in that sense yeah they were completely correct in that cultural appropriation doesn't exist because how the gently caress do you tell something is authentic to that culture just because of who is wearing it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

TheImmigrant posted:

So it's okay if someone buys a headdress from First Nations, and wears it to a football game?

Also, dude/duda/dudot, you shouldn't call goods produced by First Nations (also, you should Capitalize) 'poo poo.' Like, racism.

No the person buying that poo poo is appropriating probably, and so are companies making knockoffs

I dunno if guy getting drunk and complain that people want to change the redskins name is celebrating the rich history and culture of the people he picked up the headdress from, though

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

No the person buying that poo poo is appropriating probably, and so are companies making knockoffs

I'm glad you decided are the ultimate arbiter of what is and is not offensive to cultural groups you aren't a member of.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bro Dad posted:

Except you actually go to these reservations and see that most of the customers are those hipsters you hate and the occasional wholesaler. So how do you know those things weren't produced by an "authentic" native? You don't. So in that sense yeah they were completely correct in that cultural appropriation doesn't exist because how the gently caress do you tell something is authentic to that culture just because of who is wearing it.

Yes hipsters buying native apparel disproves appropriation.

:psyduck:

Bro Dad posted:

I'm glad you decided are the ultimate arbiter of what is and is not offensive to cultural groups you aren't a member of.

I'm not though. I never told anybody what was offensive, nor am I even the ultimate arbiter of appropriation.

I dunno, maybe try to have a conversation rather than try and score points? :shrug:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Doesn't prove it either unless you're in the room with an e-meter to measure how racist people are.

Also you realize that nobody is being forced to make and sell jewelry right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bro Dad posted:

haha you're angry that someone has opinions

simmer down bro dad

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Pretty much every successful empire ever rose to power because it learned how to appropriate cultures. Still haven't seen any concrete solution in this thread on how to stop that, or discourage people from doing it.

It's not that they even had to especially try. One of the perks of being an empire is that your culture spreads faster and reaches more people. It's more inevitable than capitalism, because non-capitalist economic systems actually existed. Yet people still think it's an easier target and you can fight it by shaming enough people for wearing war bonnets.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cultures suffering from appropriation should just build more culture buildings like monuments

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

haha you're angry that someone has opinions

simmer down bro dad

No, we're doing that thing where we try and prove that people discussiong racism poo poo are the real racists, because that people who get real mad about "SJWs" think that's some sort of trump card if they can rig up the correct gotcha.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Cultures suffering from appropriation should just build more culture buildings like monuments

Don't forget Great Works they're gonna boost your Tourism score

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

No, we're doing that thing where we try and prove that people discussiong racism poo poo are the real racists, because that people who get real mad about "SJWs" think that's some sort of trump card if they can rig up the correct gotcha.

More like "I know what is appropriation better than these people" but thanks for playing. Sorry you assume that everyone who disagrees with is some kind of bigot :shobon:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gantolandon posted:

It's not that they even had to especially try. One of the perks of being an empire is that your culture spreads faster and reaches more people. It's more inevitable than capitalism, because non-capitalist economic systems actually existed. Yet people still think it's an easier target and you can fight it by shaming enough people for wearing war bonnets.

People don't like being ruled by different looking/acting people. All the successful empires realized this and that to stay in power they needed to appropriate the local customs and ideas, this would naturally lead to things like food and dress being appropriated as well. The greatest form of cultural appropriation is the co-opting of culture for an agenda which is what you want to do to motivate people or make them like your ideas and goals more.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bro Dad posted:

More like "I know what is appropriation better than these people" but thanks for playing. Sorry you assume that everyone who disagrees with is some kind of bigot :shobon:

You're projecting all sorts of poo poo on me that I'm not saying, kinda feels like you came in here with a chip on your sholder and an idea about posters that isn't based on their actual responses.

:allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
"Guys I went into the CA thread and Zeitgueist was literally saying he was an expert on native culture and then he punched a granny on reservation soil!"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

You're projecting all sorts of poo poo on me that I'm not saying, kinda feels like you came in here with a chip on your sholder and an idea about posters that isn't based on their actual responses.

:allears:

You straight up said that someone buying native jewelry is appropriation even if sold by the group that makes it. Please stop arguing with the strawman only you can see.

Zeitgueist posted:

"Guys I went into the CA thread and Zeitgueist was literally saying he was an expert on native culture and then he punched a granny on reservation soil!"

....and there we go.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah oh deary me we shouldn't talk about academic language in a thread asking for an explanation of academic language

that's just going too far

I am for talking about academic language. In this case, the academic language is worthless outside of the anthropological study of consumerism. That is what I am saying about it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bro Dad posted:

You straight up said that someone buying native jewelry is appropriation even if sold by the group that makes it. Please stop arguing with the strawman only you can see.

:ironicat:

I said it can be appropriation. I didn't say anything about appropriation having to be inauthentically sourced.

Like I said if you want to actually have a conversation maybe things will go anywhere but if you want to be really mad at the things you want me to say wouldn't it be easier to write both sides yourself?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
This just in: Bro Dad says "I have Native Friends and they are 100% OK with white people doing whatever they want with their culture no matter what."

Man that is some poo poo right there, bro dad.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Zeitgueist posted:

I said it can be appropriation. I didn't say anything about appropriation having to be inauthentically sourced.

You said it was probably appropriation. Could you give an example of how it would and wouldn't be appropriation?

e: assume that the headdress is made and sold by natives, and that natives will receive 100% of the profits.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zeitgueist posted:

Like I said if you want to actually have a conversation maybe things will go anywhere but if you want to be really mad at the things you want me to say wouldn't it be easier to write both sides yourself?

What does inauthentically mean?

Did you forget to type the word "exotic" in "inauthentically exotic?"

Or did you deliberately leave it out?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Miltank posted:

You said it was probably appropriation. Could you give an example of what would and wouldn't be appropriation?

Appropriation = when they do it.
Not appropriation = when I do it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

So you admit you have no idea what the hell cultural appropriation is. Good to know.

quote:

uhh

Zeitgueist posted:

Zeitgueist posted:

Zeitgueist posted:

This just in: Bro Dad says "I have Native Friends and they are 100% OK with white people doing whatever they want with their culture no matter what."

Man that is some poo poo right there, bro dad.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Bro Dad posted:

So you admit you have no idea what the hell cultural appropriation is. Good to know.

uhh

you're literally arguing about the way you are arguing. you are doing nothing but making the thread worse.

thanks that is my take on it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bro Dad posted:

Nah I think you don't, I've posted the wiki definition like 2 times in this thread

quote:

uhh

Yeah when you started doing that poo poo I decided to do it to you in the hopes that you'd understand the turnaround rather than whine about it but I guess I overestimated you :shobon:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cole posted:

you are doing nothing but making the thread worse.
Yeah Bro Dad stop appropriating Cole culture.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah when you started doing that poo poo I decided to do it to you in the hopes that you'd understand the turnaround rather than whine about it but I guess I overestimated you :shobon:

The noble shitpost, a classic maneuver

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

I was just pointing out that you can't accuse someone of not arguing in good faith while also posting flailing histrionics about SJWs and punching grandmothers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bro Dad posted:

I was just pointing out that you can't accuse someone of not arguing in good faith while also posting flailing histrionics about SJWs and punching grandmothers.

*flailing*

*knocked off balance by the incisive posting of Bro Dad*

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

This is idiotically childish. No wonder you constantly think no one ever is interested in having a Real Discussion.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Look at this scrub who doesn't reply in earnest to my willful misinterpretation of his argument. I guess the real problem is him. :smugdog:

Brannock posted:

This is idiotically childish. No wonder you constantly think no one ever is interested in having a Real Discussion.

Nobody in this thread was ever interested in a real discussion, we're literally arguing whether Cultural Appropriation is extant, of how awesome it is if it does exist. That's a pretty stupid thread and the moment it starts to go anywhere vaguely interesting somebody comes in to concern troll it back to basic concepts.

It was a thread started by a concern troll. I'm simply pointing out the disingenguous posts. Never said I was a better person than that.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 7, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bro Dad posted:

Could we please filter "histrionics" to "offending me" from now on?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

People don't like being ruled by different looking/acting people. All the successful empires realized this and that to stay in power they needed to appropriate the local customs and ideas, this would naturally lead to things like food and dress being appropriated as well. The greatest form of cultural appropriation is the co-opting of culture for an agenda which is what you want to do to motivate people or make them like your ideas and goals more.

Except that this presents it as more intentional and shrewd than it usually is. People just like to spread their cultures, no matter what. Cultures have to promote being spread, because without new people they are going to stagnate and die.

When two cultures intersect, the only way the ideas from one culture could enter the other is to make them more palatable. Or rather - the ideas that aren't palatable enough don't get an influx of new hosts who could spread them even further. This is how a lot of historical cultural appropriation used to be done - Roman adopting gods of the conquered people to their pantheons, or Christian missionaries adopting native legends to their religion. There were probably many Romans and Christians who didn't want to dilute their message, but it didn't matter because there were some who did and their ideas were the ones that got spread.

There is also the matter of cultures being closely connected with economic systems, which are in turn hard to separate from material world. Adopting the dominant culture is easier, because you can find its traces everywhere around you. It is also a no-brainer - it means more opportunities, more social contacts, better access to goods, etc. Everything else becomes a non-concern. Trying to preserve a culture without giving it their own resources and leaving it relatively isolated (so it could develop its own economy) is impossible. Without this, those cultures will inevitably dissolve, leaving at best some ideas without context that are going to be picked up by the dominant culture.

That's why fighting cultural appropriation is pointless. It's not what causes minority cultures to dissolve, it's just a symptom of their dissolution.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is drinking coffee cultural appropriation?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

Except that this presents it as more intentional and shrewd than it usually is. People just like to spread their cultures, no matter what. Cultures have to promote being spread, because without new people they are going to stagnate and die.

When two cultures intersect, the only way the ideas from one culture could enter the other is to make them more palatable. Or rather - the ideas that aren't palatable enough don't get an influx of new hosts who could spread them even further. This is how a lot of historical cultural appropriation used to be done - Roman adopting gods of the conquered people to their pantheons, or Christian missionaries adopting native legends to their religion. There were probably many Romans and Christians who didn't want to dilute their message, but it didn't matter because there were some who did and their ideas were the ones that got spread.

There is also the matter of cultures being closely connected with economic systems, which are in turn hard to separate from material world. Adopting the dominant culture is easier, because you can find its traces everywhere around you. It is also a no-brainer - it means more opportunities, more social contacts, better access to goods, etc. Everything else becomes a non-concern. Trying to preserve a culture without giving it their own resources and leaving it relatively isolated (so it could develop its own economy) is impossible. Without this, those cultures will inevitably dissolve, leaving at best some ideas without context that are going to be picked up by the dominant culture.

That's why fighting cultural appropriation is pointless. It's not what causes minority cultures to dissolve, it's just a symptom of their dissolution.

This is why the Holocaust never happened- Jews and Roma are a fiction, a fable, having been assimilated centuries beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Guys is posting appropriation.

• Locked thread