Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

It would be Reagan/Mondal '84 except with the roles swapped.

It really wouldn't. There's at least 150 EVs that will go to the Republican candidate no matter who it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gyges posted:

If Bush flames out, Romney is the only hope for the donors. In he will come, riding a White Horse.

This'd only be worth it to see him try to bring Benghazi up against Hillary herself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slate Action posted:

So the non-joke GOP candidates are basically:

Jeb
Walker (maybe)
Rubio (maybe)
???

As Cruz's staff predicted, the primary will be a fight between an establishment candidate (Jeb, Walker, or Rubio), and candidates to represent the tea party (Cruz or Carson), social conservative (Santorum or Carson), and libertarian (Rand Paul or Paul Ryan) Republicans. The establishment candidates are the ones that don't seem like jokes, but they will have to fight challenges from those other wings.

I'm not listing Perry, Fiorina, Jindal, Romney, or Christie because they're all over and any of their runs will be embarrassments.

Edit: The Tea Party hates Rubio now, so he'll run as an establishment candidate with conservative cred. But he's not likely to do better than Jeb Bush or Scott Walker.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Atoramos posted:

Has Monmouth University always done national polling?

I don't know about always but my sister worked on doing it for the 2012 campaign while going to Monmouth.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I think the real question is - did Clinton learn the right lessons from 2008?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

Clinton's failings in 2008 came from not having any infrastructure in place for an actual fight in the primaries and getting smacked by a much more competent campaign team, also failing in the cult of personality challenge. Considering she will likely have the majority of that campaign team and no serious internal challenge I doubt the same lessons would even be relevant. Also shes whip smart and politically savvy, she knows where she hosed up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd say that one lesson she should have learned was not getting caught off guard by a charismatic underdog candidate, but this is her opponent for 2016:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Slate Action posted:

It really wouldn't. There's at least 150 EVs that will go to the Republican candidate no matter who it is.

I wonder just how legitimately insane a candidate would have to be to make that not happen. Literal Hitler vs Clinton?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I think "don't listen to Mark Penn" is still pretty relevant.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I think "don't listen to Mark Penn" is still pretty relevant.

Fortunately Penn is too busy making weird advertisements for Microsoft to work on the Clinton campaign.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I imagine a Penn ad campaign involving calling press conferences and blurting out that Tim Cook will kill your dog.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
well after reviewing craigslist i have determined that Rand's announcement has not made anyone less horny. Maybe more horny.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

I'd say that one lesson she should have learned was not getting caught off guard by a charismatic underdog candidate, but this is her opponent for 2016:

Im glad the elf demographic is fairly represented

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I imagine a Penn ad campaign involving calling press conferences and blurting out that Tim Cook will kill your dog.

The 3:00 am phone call was such a stupid political push. "Hmm who would I want making decisions in the middle of the night, this young energetic dude ready to work at a seconds notice or someone who strikes you of having the agility of old Yoda after 6pm."

Also, she did not unleash the Clintons soon enough. Bill owns any room he is in and Chelsea apparently has snake charmer magic on crowds, they should have been out in a much more public way.

mooyashi posted:

well after reviewing craigslist i have determined that Rand's announcement has not made anyone less horny. Maybe more horny.

Keep us posted.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kKDWtdUHP4 :lol:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

"Defeat the Washington Machine." -a man trying to be a career politician while also the son of a career politician.

Pinterest Mom posted:

0-5%. He's not a serious contender, too many of his views are anathema to too many people in the party. He's a joke candidate, just like Cruz.

(Non-joke candidates: Bush/Walker/Perry/Rubio/Kasich/Jindal, maybe Pence or Snyder if they run.)

You think Rubio isn't a joke candidate? :lol::lol::lol:

Krispy Kreme Christie is still going to run isn't he? Or is all the rampant corruption coming out in to the light actually going to sink him? If Walker runs and actually wins I'm selling everything and fleeing the country before he burns it down like he's doing to Wisconsin.

Gyges posted:

If Bush flames out, Romney is the only hope for the donors. In he will come, riding a White Horse.

A dancing White Horse. :eng101:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Question: Where does this put Rand regarding his senate seat? Does this mean for sure he is abandoning it, or will does he have up until the filing deadline to decide if he's going to run for one or the other? Or is he planning on trying some sort of slight of hand to try and make Kentucky think he's not running for Senate but still wind up on the ballot some how?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Walker runs and actually wins I'm selling everything and fleeing the country before he burns it down like he's doing to Wisconsin.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Question: Where does this put Rand regarding his senate seat? Does this mean for sure he is abandoning it, or will does he have up until the filing deadline to decide if he's going to run for one or the other? Or is he planning on trying some sort of slight of hand to try and make Kentucky think he's not running for Senate but still wind up on the ballot some how?

He's openly running for both.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I'm sure this is what you were already laughing about but:

quote:

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's openly running for both.

Can he do that? I thought Kentucky had a "no name on two ballots" law? I would assume he has to inform Kentucky at some point whether he intends to drop the presidential run or not run for reelection?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

I'm sure this is what you were already laughing about but:

I live in the United States, so I am curious what music they used for the American ad that can't be played in America.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Xarthor posted:

Can he do that? I thought Kentucky had a "no name on two ballots" law? I would assume he has to inform Kentucky at some point whether he intends to drop the presidential run or not run for reelection?

1. The Kentucky GOP has a plan to switch to a caucus from a primary to get around that.
2. The Kentucky primary is very late in the cycle (May!) and Paul will have dropped out by then.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I want the echo chamber to be more airtight than its ever been. I want Fox News/Alex Jones/Grudge Report turned on in every campaign office.

Too many of the joke candidates/serious-but-lets-face-it-lol candidates with the exception of JEB! are locked in a room full of yes men. They are running what they really believe is a serious campaign, and it will get more serious (and thus more hilarious to everyone else) the more positive feedback they get.

The problem is that none of them have a loving chance of actually winning the nomination, because the establishment has a way of shutting the whole thing down. But the longer they last, the more debates they run, and the more serious they seem, they'll drag down JEB! and any other possible candidates. After all, we will be treated to excellent photos of Jeb, Cruz, Walker, Paul, and the rest of the clown express on stage at the debate. And Jeb will look like he's an adult talking to a bunch of children to an audience of children and it will be glorious.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Where's that drat fisher price phone.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mdemone posted:

Well, I was reverse-image-searching that girl with the bookshelf wallpaper, and serendipitously I discovered this…

The Internet is a magical place.

I can't unsee this horror show, thanks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

I want the echo chamber to be more airtight than its ever been. I want Fox News/Alex Jones/Grudge Report turned on in every campaign office.

Too many of the joke candidates/serious-but-lets-face-it-lol candidates with the exception of JEB! are locked in a room full of yes men. They are running what they really believe is a serious campaign, and it will get more serious (and thus more hilarious to everyone else) the more positive feedback they get.

The problem is that none of them have a loving chance of actually winning the nomination, because the establishment has a way of shutting the whole thing down. But the longer they last, the more debates they run, and the more serious they seem, they'll drag down JEB! and any other possible candidates. After all, we will be treated to excellent photos of Jeb, Cruz, Walker, Paul, and the rest of the clown express on stage at the debate. And Jeb will look like he's an adult talking to a bunch of children to an audience of children and it will be glorious.

GOP focused high price political consultancies seem to be a hell of a cottage industry these days. How many millions did they bilk out of Romney alone? It just seems so profitable to lock down a candidate, put them in a soundproof box, take them on Mr Frogs Wild Ride while getting points on ad buys and monthly fees and skims upon skims until the candidate is tapped dry and washed out.

In fact, who wants in lets do this, I bet we could take Rick Scott for a ride.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Just the one.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

No Muslim for Rand

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

No Muslim for Rand

Correct.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Kincannon's Forehand

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

No Muslim for Rand

Since when do Native Americans hyphenate it to 'Native-American'?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Oh god, if he starts showing even the slightest momentum his mugshot is going to get plastered everywhere. He's boned.

I dunno, his mug shot makes him look like someone I want to have a beer with.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo

"We need to spread our message of liberty far and wide. One of the best ways to do this is by supporting me using social media. Use the profile pics, cover photos, and widgets to show your support to your friends across the country." —Rand Paul

What other groups is he missing?

Also..widgets?

http://randpaul.com/show-your-support

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
His site claims "As I travel across the country and speak to my constituents, I have found that their top concern is our national debt." I have a very hard time believing that.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Why can't I be Gay for Rand? :smith:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

I dunno, his mug shot makes him look like someone I want to have a beer with.

Really? The only thought I've had about Perry regarding drinks is that he looks like a dude who would invite you out to party, then he'd roofie you, and frame you for the murder of one of his enemies.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

It's already been changed from 'Jew for Rand' to 'Jewish for Rand'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Atheists for Rand

• Locked thread