Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah... that poo poo existed in simcity2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Subyng posted:

Baronjutter, since you love European style so much, there are currently a bunch of growable "Belgian" style buildings on the workshop that might suit you, although I personally haven't tried any.

http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/

Just sayin'.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

I really wish I could assign a hotkey to grid snap for just this reason. I want grid snap because it forces the dotted line to come straight out of the road (which is what you want), but then after clicking to place the dotted line target, I have to go back down and turn off grid snapping for most of the things I use curved roads for.

This mod sets a hotkey which toggles road snapping while you hold it down, which is useful for exactly that.

Baronjutter posted:

Get the growth stage limiting mod, set your district to any max stage you want. I like making large areas of level 1 or level 2 residential, looks the most "realistic" I found. Not quite wall to wall 5-6 story buildings but as close as you can currently get.

Which mod is this?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wallet posted:

This mod sets a hotkey which toggles road snapping while you hold it down, which is useful for exactly that.

Argh, doesn't work with Fine Road Heights, but I can probably work around that, I don't use the intermediate heights outside of the intersection builder.

Wallet posted:

Which mod is this?

Control Building Level Up

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bitcoin bastard posted:

Argh, doesn't work with Fine Road Heights, but I can probably work around that, I don't use the intermediate heights outside of the intersection builder.

The fine height control is a gigantic help in making roads look nice on uneven terrain. I don't want to play without it now, and I'm okay with giving up the snap-toggle key for fine height control.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Subyng posted:

Yeah there really needs to be a medium density zone. And mixed residential-commercial would be awesome.

Yes yes yes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I guess a couple people don't understand what the word innocuous means.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also for people having issues with slope too steep or whatever having to do with terrain...

:siren:GET THE TERRAFORM MOD:siren:

It's also really helpful for making sure your cars aren't parked 45 degrees vertically.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does fine road height work with ped paths?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yep.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That mod that lets you zone on pedestrian paths...does it magically let cars park at these places or do they appear on the streets nearby like normal?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cims just park their cars in their pockets when they leave the road and enter the pedwalk.

And they deploy them from their pockets when they leave the pedwalk to drive somewhere else.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any mod to allows low density buildings to get upgraded to high density if I rezone it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It would be so awesome if people actually needed parking and wouldn't drive if there was nowhere to park. That's how most good cities get everyone onto transit/walking, there's just no where to park. It would also be educational to show the true cost of parking and how you either need like 50k a piece underground parking or destroy your city with fast fields of cheap surface parking, which depends on cheap land.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there any mod to allows low density buildings to get upgraded to high density if I rezone it?

This would be pretty neat and would result in a more natural city expansion.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Subyng posted:

Yeah there really needs to be a medium density zone. And mixed residential-commercial would be awesome.

I think there should just be a menu that allows you to create your own zone types with a big list of all the buildings and you can choose which ones will spawn in it. Then LR/HR/LC/HC/LI/HI just exist as presets.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It would be so awesome if people actually needed parking and wouldn't drive if there was nowhere to park. That's how most good cities get everyone onto transit/walking, there's just no where to park. It would also be educational to show the true cost of parking and how you either need like 50k a piece underground parking or destroy your city with fast fields of cheap surface parking, which depends on cheap land.

But the game has /tons/ of parking so I don't know if its possible to even test the theory - even if you do everything you can to avoid making any roads that have it. People park in ploppables that have it, people park in buildings that have it, people even park in high rises that have it then walk home.. so. Yeah.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

This would be pretty neat and would result in a more natural city expansion.

Not really, when they're building a skyscaper they don't plop it on top of a two story building. They bulldoze the entire block and start from scratch.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Baronjutter posted:

Except that it wouldn't work with the way the AI does its pathing, sadly. At best you'd end up with people driving to a place, circling looking for a spot, and then giving up/despawning. The problem is pretty similar to getting the AI to take traffic congestion into account for its pathing (right now it doesn't) so it's not infeasible, just not immediately doable. I'm actually not sure what makes people decide to use mass transit except "it's the actual shortest path to my destination" (with maybe some weighting in favor of busses, for example).

With the fact that they HAVE parking lots modeled and roads with varying amounts of on-street parking, it actually seems like they may have intended to include a parking element but maybe couldn't get it to work well enough?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hubis posted:

Except that it wouldn't work with the way the AI does its pathing, sadly. At best you'd end up with people driving to a place, circling looking for a spot, and then giving up/despawning. The problem is pretty similar to getting the AI to take traffic congestion into account for its pathing (right now it doesn't) so it's not infeasible, just not immediately doable. I'm actually not sure what makes people decide to use mass transit except "it's the actual shortest path to my destination" (with maybe some weighting in favor of busses, for example).

With the fact that they HAVE parking lots modeled and roads with varying amounts of on-street parking, it actually seems like they may have intended to include a parking element but maybe couldn't get it to work well enough?

If cims can dependably travel from A to B, can't they get from A to B and from B to C where C is their destination and B is the closest available parking spot?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

circ dick soleil posted:

If cims can dependably travel from A to B, can't they get from A to B and from B to C where C is their destination and B is the closest available parking spot?

Right, but a lack of available parking wouldn't cause Cims to use more transit, it would just end up with Cims de-spawning when they time out (like they do now when they get stuck in traffic rather than looking for alternate routes). You'd need a way to estimate parking in the target area before pathing, which is a harder problem.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hubis posted:

Right, but a lack of available parking wouldn't cause Cims to use more transit, it would just end up with Cims de-spawning when they time out (like they do now when they get stuck in traffic rather than looking for alternate routes). You'd need a way to estimate parking in the target area before pathing, which is a harder problem.

What if parking spaces get reserved for cims once they set a path, so it's available when they arrive?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

xzzy posted:

Not really, when they're building a skyscaper they don't plop it on top of a two story building. They bulldoze the entire block and start from scratch.

That's an issue with plot size, though. It would be a more fluid upgrade, because rather than forcing out low density and then filling with high density, low density would be replaced as demanded without having to micromanage your zoning.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Did the patch do something to Color Corrections?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

circ dick soleil posted:

What if parking spaces get reserved for cims once they set a path, so it's available when they arrive?

So the logic would go:

1) Pick a Destination
2) Find the nearest available parking to the destination
3) Reserve the spot
4) Plot driving path to parking + Walking to Destination
5) Compare to other paths (transit)

That might work. Step 2 would add a second pathfinding search which be expensive, but not too bad (basically make each path estimation 2x as expensive). The only concern would be
1) You have to serialize all the searching for steps 2 and 3 (otherwise two card could reserve the same spot) which might hurt performance depending on how they thread the AI
2) You might end up with worse-than-ideal/unacceptable results because you'd need a spot available before the car even left, instead of heading there and then grabbing a spot that becomes available along the way. Your overall potential throughput would be a lot less, and you'd end up with a bunch of unused parking by necessity of the algorithm.

Problem (1) could be solved by just letting multiple cars grab the same spot, and then if it's taken when they arrive they do a second search locally to try and find the next best one (realistic at least). Problem (2) you could maybe deal with if you knew when the car in every spot was LEAVING and could target spots that would be available by the time you got there, but that's going to yet more expensive.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

What do offices mean when they say this? There's more than enough educated dudes to work at this place, and it's the same for all the others.

Also, do cims take line length into consideration when they decide whether to use the metro or do the stops just need to be connected?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Hubis posted:

That might work. Step 2 would add a second pathfinding search which be expensive, but not too bad (basically make each path estimation 2x as expensive).

You wouldn't be adding a second pathfinding search because I'm pretty sure Cims already do have to find places to park in their pathing calculations (otherwise, how do they park at all in the game now?)

I'm pretty sure the whole "Cims can put cars in their pockets" thing is the exact same mechanism as parking. The only difference is the car becomes invisible. Roads that supposedly don't allow parking in actuality do, the parking is just invisible. I think this might be tied to zoning, since cars cannot park on highways and highway ramps.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 8, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GrossMurpel posted:

What do offices mean when they say this?
Usually it just means "wait".

There's an Extended Building Info (or something like that) mod out there that seems to show that buildings do two things to level up:

1) They have to wait for education (called wealth for commercial) to build up -- an education/wealth progress bar starts at zero when a building levels up, and it has to fill (which takes time) before going to step 2 and leveling up again.

2) Once the education/wealth value is met, then it looks at land value. If enough points are provided by nearby services, the building levels up.

That's what it looks like, anyway.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A lot of the exits along I70 are like that, I'm actually surprised that the west Lawrence exit isn't connected to a roundabout as well, although there's one on Clinton, two or three by the Legends, and about a billion between Clinton and 6th. Weest Lawrence is pretty much roundabout central though, I think I drive through at least two every time I leave town. Even some of the rural highways are starting to get roundabouts, I think that 50 has at least two right now. I have no idea what is going on in this state.

I took 50 from 135 to lawrence last week because idk why, fuel is cheap and it seemed like a good idea (took the turnpike home because gently caress trying to overtake semis in a 300SD with those short rear end passing areas) and yep, more loving roundabouts than I have ever seen in my life. They're starting to build them south of wichita too

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Usually it just means "wait".

There's an Extended Building Info (or something like that) mod out there that seems to show that buildings do two things to level up:

1) They have to wait for education (called wealth for commercial) to build up -- an education/wealth progress bar starts at zero when a building levels up, and it has to fill (which takes time) before going to step 2 and leveling up again.

2) Once the education/wealth value is met, then it looks at land value. If enough points are provided by nearby services, the building levels up.

That's what it looks like, anyway.

Interestingly, the bar was almost filled but dropped to 0 again when I built the last-tier building of all the services for the first time.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys, I had to pull some road-fu to get my lumber industry from killing my city with traffic, this look alright?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Venom Snake posted:

Hey guys, I had to pull some road-fu to get my lumber industry from killing my city with traffic, this look alright?

Your city's being taken over by road-spiders and you're worried about traffic flow.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Probably would have been easier to build a highway extension going south but I like it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't even read that hitting page up or page down could create highways. It just opened an entire new door of terrible ideas on how to fix the traffic problem where you first began.

I believe one idea that Colossal Order should do is have the option to start in other plots of land that has a highway, rather than the same plot of land to start with.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
With progression on, you can irrevocably screw yourself by bulldozing highways. I suppose you could replace them with two lane one ways but I believe that's the reason why.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Yeah, if you bulldoze a highway and don't or can't afford to replace it, you're hosed because no one can get in or out of the city.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

Pause the game and get an interstate connection going south there!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cant bulldoze beyond the edge of your tile though, so you can always patch it up with temporary roads until you unlock them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate when my attempts to deal with a disaster of downtown traffic congestion only result in making the problem worse.

I mean it's the oldest part of town and I wasn't really thinking super long term when I started the city, but adding routes, roundabouts and wider roads should help more than hinder, right? :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
The great garbage plague of 2044 killed thousands and wiped out entire districts. When asked for comment, the mayor said "Yeah but check out this new mall."