Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tide posted:

I gotta disagree with that. Much like cigarette smoke, weed is so pungent that I don't think you can ever escape that smell, no matter how much you try.

Not really. I mean yeah if youre leaving buds all over your desk and you just let the bowl burn after taking a hit the odor might sneak out. But if you keep your weed in a container, and cover the bowl with something metal immediately after taking a hit, and then exhale towards the window* there is nothing left to linger.

*The important part is the fan inside the window frame, though. If its just an open window you're hosed.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tide posted:

I gotta disagree with that. Much like cigarette smoke, weed is so pungent that I don't think you can ever escape that smell, no matter how much you try.

Haha. Seriously? If you have good ventilation (or smoke outside), and regularly clean your self/home, it's a non issue.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guess who's got tickets to see Electric loving Wizard on Monday :getin:

http://youtu.be/fBdkbqgAmto

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CommieGIR posted:

My kid puts himself to bet at 10:00-10:30, I never go to bed prior to 11:30, generally because I'm doing something and my brain doesn't want to settle. We tried early bed times, and he just rolled around his room, never bothered us, but he consistently fell asleep around ~10PM

That is fine with me, because I remember not wanting to sleep as a kid prior to roughly that same time, I'd lay in bed for hours unable to really settle.
When I was a kid I'd get banished to my bedroom and lights off at 9.
My official solution was to play Legos or read right in the doorway with light from the hallway until I got tired.
Usually sometime around 1-2AM.

25 years later and I'm not much better at getting to sleep. :/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tide posted:

Yeah. I'm a smoker of both and can smell it on other people or in the air from a long way away. Only way not to have that smell is have really short head hair and no facial hair, and smoke standing outside shirtless in a decent breeze, and even then you'll need brushed teeth, gargle, cologne and not let your hands near anyone afterwards...
e: Non smokers will pick it up easier than me, eg your dr will know you smoke cigs, the cops will know you smoke pot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Vroom vroom me car go fast.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ozmiander posted:

Haha. Seriously? If you have good ventilation (or smoke outside), and regularly clean your self/home, it's a non issue.

Cage posted:

Not really. I mean yeah if youre leaving buds all over your desk and you just let the bowl burn after taking a hit the odor might sneak out. But if you keep your weed in a container, and cover the bowl with something metal immediately after taking a hit, and then exhale towards the window* there is nothing left to linger.

*The important part is the fan inside the window frame, though. If its just an open window you're hosed.

The fancy words to describe it is "sensory adaptation". Basically, your brain adapts to it, recognizes the constant smell, and essentially discards it so that it can pick up on other smells - mostly in terms of identifying possible threats. You're used to the weed smell (like I am a cigarette smell, for example). Remove that smell for a week, and the next time you're around it, you'll be able to smell it full force.

I've been around enough pot smokers in my life that even though they try the tricks as described above, I can still smell it when I walk in their house.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tide posted:

The fancy words to describe it is "sensory adaptation". Basically, your brain adapts to it, recognizes the constant smell, and essentially discards it so that it can pick up on other smells - mostly in terms of identifying possible threats. You're used to the weed smell (like I am a cigarette smell, for example). Remove that smell for a week, and the next time you're around it, you'll be able to smell it full force.

I've been around enough pot smokers in my life that even though they try the tricks as described above, I can still smell it when I walk in their house.
No, the only time I smell weed is when I open my container or exhale the smoke and that's only for a couple seconds afterward. There is no lingering scent. Im sorry your pothead friends smell because that's no fun but if you're careful you can easily leave no noticeable scent.

e: I smoked daily at home for over 4 years, if my parents would have smelled even the slightest whiff I would've heard about it right away because of my brothers drug problems. The only time it was brought up was when I hurt my back and my mom went through my room to clean it and found my pipe and chewed me out. You can be drat sure she would've done the same thing if she smelled it while walking by my room.

You can tell if you have it properly set up by taking a piece of paper and putting it along the openings of your door. If its blowing inward no one will smell a thing.

VVV Read my edit. :)

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well the only way to prove that is not your own opinion, but that of someone else who can say they can smell it on you or not. That being impossible here, no point continuing discussion about it.

e; for your edit:
It's not about your room, I always had a pedestal fan between me and the window too. No smell got into the house, it lingered around the room for a bit though, but we're talking about the smell on you. Absorbent things like skin, hair, clothing carry and hold it around more than the hard surfaces of a room does.
Like I said before, short head hair, no facial hair, no shirt helps, but to people that are non smokers and professionals at spotting it, they can still be able to tell if even I can tell while I'm used to it/blocked some out, may have diminished senses.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 7, 2015

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I dunno, I know smoke makes you stink but I thought I only stunk of cigs, this might be a good sign to clean my apartment up and wash everything.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
*Paging Some Texas Redneck*

New AI mouse-over: The IRL cool dudes forum *flicks joint at u* (*cries about lost joint*)

Sir Pukesalot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 7, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Fuuuck. Glad I cleared out space on my harddrive for this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh poo poo, you got me excited thinking it was coming out today.

My SSD is only 128, I dont think even after moving GTA:IV and BF4 that Ill have enough space.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I literally (1 hour ago) finished building my new gaming PC. But I can't buy that game for a third time.

OR CAN I?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cage posted:

Oh poo poo, you got me excited thinking it was coming out today.

My SSD is only 128, I dont think even after moving GTA:IV and BF4 that Ill have enough space.

Nah, still a week to go. Pre-loading starts today though, so now it can sit on my drive for another week taunting me :negative:

Comrade Flynn posted:

I literally (1 hour ago) finished building my new gaming PC. But I can't buy that game for a third time.

OR CAN I?

http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/video/11267

60 FPS at 1080p. Yes, you definitely need to buy it a third time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

OR CAN I?
Haha I did that for IV.

I bought an entire 360 and the game when GTA:IV came out.

Then it came out for PC, but not on steam so I bought it on DVD.

Then it came out on steam, so I bought it again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thinking you don't stank of weed is like thinking your parents didn't know when you masturbated.

Trust me, the only reason people (/your parents) didn't call you out on it is because it would have been awkward.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even if you cannot smell it does not mean the smell is not there. People smell my cat boxes despite the fact that I cannot smell it. I got used to it, so my brain blocked it out.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I need a good suggestion for a game to test out my new PC rig that's not crysis.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

I need a good suggestion for a game to test out my new PC rig that's not crysis.

Battlefield 4? Actually, go with Battlefield Hardline. Hardline is way, way cooler.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Look up the latest benchmarks for graphics cards and I'm sure they'll have a few games. I think the latest metro 2033 is still used for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Wolfenstein: New Order

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geirskogul posted:

Thinking you don't stank of weed is like thinking your parents didn't know when you masturbated.

Trust me, the only reason people (/your parents) didn't call you out on it is because it would have been awkward.
My parents are not the awkward type, they absolutely would've given me plenty of poo poo if they smelled any at all. They never have in four years. I dont know how this is so hard to comprehend for you, you can absolutely smoke without leaving a scent if you're careful. Your friends obviously had different smoking habits than I did.

edit: Though I'm arguing with someone that wants to shoot people for vandalizing a 2nd gen explorer. Rational!

Comrade Flynn posted:

BF or Hardline is good. GTA:IV can look pretty amazing with the graphical mods you can download. You can even probably find your exact lambo model to download and play around in.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 7, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is it raining? I assume it's raining because your posting and wanting to play video games rather than rev match and row through a sweet gated shifter.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

iwentdoodie posted:

So nervous. My wife is going to the Paul Mitchell school, and today is her test day for male cuts. Which means I'm the guinea pig.

Hopefully I don't end up having to bic my head. I trust her, but drat it I like my barber. I'll have to go in and buy some razor blades just so he doesn't think I died.

If you want to win some love points, get a cut at your barber then act all disappointed at home and ask your wife to "fix" it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

treizebee posted:

If you want to win some love points, get a cut at your barber then act all disappointed at home and ask your wife to "fix" it.

That is goddamn genius.

Haircut went okay, not butchered so I'm happy.

That said the mower still won't run. Pulled the carb back apart, except the float bowl (because it won't loving come off) and ran wire through all the jets, sprayed cleaner through them, etc. Spray starter fluid, it turns over, goes through maybe four revolutions, then dies again.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Weed smoke only lingers around for a short time. We smoke 2+ blunts a day in the living room and it never smells in the morning.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Weed smoke only lingers around for a short time. We smoke 2+ blunts a day in the living room and it never smells in the morning.
Sorry dude but nope you're rank as all hell. Fuckin impossible. Your room smells like a skunk now.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

YEAH BECAUSE YOUR NOSE IS ALREADY FULL OF THE DEVILS LETTUCE

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Is it raining? I assume it's raining because your posting and wanting to play video games rather than rev match and row through a sweet gated shifter.

It would just be a lot of 1 -> 2 gear changes seeing as he lives in seattle and its not the middle of the night. I have gotten used to sitting through at least 2 light cycles at any stop light in this city.

iwentdoodie posted:

That is goddamn genius.

I went through the same thing about a year ago. She managed to take a nice chunk out of the side of my head the first time, but managed to smooth it out so it was not noticeable. Still hated getting my haircut there, especially when the instructor would come over with a group of 10 students hovering waiting to ask a question.

*edit* staying out of the stupid smoke debate. The real solution is ez, get hash oil vape pen cartridges and never worry about the smell!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My back is killing me today.

Just found out in addition to 2 disc herniations, a fractured disc, and 3 bulging discs I have degenerative disc disease.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

*edit* staying out of the stupid smoke debate. The real solution is ez, get hash oil vape pen cartridges and never worry about the smell!

:getin:

too bad they're not getting cheaper faster, cause these things are the best

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Vroom vroom me car go fast.

Can you redo this with a giant poo poo-eating grin please? You look like a serious fellow in this.

ilkhan posted:

When I was a kid I'd get banished to my bedroom and lights off at 9.
My official solution was to play Legos or read right in the doorway with light from the hallway until I got tired.
Usually sometime around 1-2AM.

25 years later and I'm not much better at getting to sleep. :/

When younger I got a Lego set that included a 9v battery box and some police lights. Pull the coloured gels off the lights, lego torch!:v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sir Pukesalot posted:

*Paging Some Texas Redneck*

New AI mouse-over: The IRL cool dudes forum *flicks joint at u* (*cries about lost joint*)

:haw::hf::350:

Tide posted:

Pretty much why I can't smell pizza unless I haven't been to work in several days. People always say "wow that smells so good", and I don't smell a thing.

I actually gag a little when I walk back in after a few days, the smell is overwhelming.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Most of my friends smoke, and their places always reek, even if they haven't smoked in a day.

The only reason I can even notice the smell is I use a vaporizer 99% of the time. When I actually do smoke, I go outside, and usually go to bed afterwards. I can always smell it on my clothes and bedding the next day.

Cage posted:

Sorry dude but nope you're rank as all hell. Fuckin impossible. Your room smells like a skunk now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

That is goddamn genius.

That said the mower still won't run. Pulled the carb back apart, except the float bowl (because it won't loving come off) and ran wire through all the jets, sprayed cleaner through them, etc. Spray starter fluid, it turns over, goes through maybe four revolutions, then dies again.

Is the float bowl held on with a big fat bolt that screws into the tube that goes to the jet because that might also have holes in it that need to be cleaned out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Is the float bowl held on with a big fat bolt that screws into the tube that goes to the jet because that might also have holes in it that need to be cleaned out.

Yep, and it has a hole in the base and one on top. Cleaned those out and same. I'm really wondering if it's just not getting fuel into the bowl. I know the line flows, and I know the jets are clean. But the plug has nothing on it, and it never even tries to catch. Is there a trick to actually getting that bowl off without ruining it?

Edit: thinking about it, that almost has to be the issue. Removing that bolt never results in any fuel leaking out of it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I shipped a package at USPS after work the other day and they loving shipped it to my house instead of the person I shipped it to!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

:getin:

too bad they're not getting cheaper faster, cause these things are the best

eh $45 for one and that lasts me around 2 weeks. Cheaper if you go through a medical place, but I just go to the recreational stores since its easier.

Comrade Flynn posted:

My back is killing me today.

Just found out in addition to 2 disc herniations, a fractured disc, and 3 bulging discs I have degenerative disc disease.

Sorry to hear that, shits rough. My fiance has AS as well as one of our friends who has it much worse. Get a good doctor and stay on top of it and hopefully it won't get worse.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, and it has a hole in the base and one on top. Cleaned those out and same. I'm really wondering if it's just not getting fuel into the bowl. I know the line flows, and I know the jets are clean. But the plug has nothing on it, and it never even tries to catch. Is there a trick to actually getting that bowl off without ruining it?

Edit: thinking about it, that almost has to be the issue. Removing that bolt never results in any fuel leaking out of it.

Once you buy a 'just-in-case' spare part it'll come off no problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Negromancer posted:

Sorry to hear that, shits rough. My fiance has AS as well as one of our friends who has it much worse. Get a good doctor and stay on top of it and hopefully it won't get worse.

I have an awesome pain specialist who has helped a ton. At this point we are just trying to keep me in a holding pattern to delay surgery as long as possible.

• Locked thread