Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One day I might go back and beat Dream Team but that Bowser fight at the end is bullshit, I have so many healing items but then the game goes "lol can't use them as giant Luigi." I've tried so many times and I'm just not dexterous enough to avoid Bowser's attacks.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star are both really bad, in their ways.

I want to like Super Paper Mario because it has so many neat/cool parts in it but it really isn't very good as a whole and it's very disappointing. I will defend Sticker Star as good though, it's very different from the other games but I don't feel it's bad. Probably the most annoying part is that if you don't have the correct sticker for the bosses then they're practically impossible to beat. Well, that and how frustratingly limited your inventory is at the start. But ultimately TTYD is definitely the pinnacle of the Paper Mario series, yeah, and the original is the second best for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

super mario rpg is the only good mario rpg, all the paper mario and & luigi games are boring slogs

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

epitasis posted:

super mario rpg is the only good mario rpg, all the paper mario and & luigi games are boring slogs

Well if we're gonna give out our bad opinions ITT then I don't consider 3D land and 3D World to much better than the NSMB games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah and Bayonetta is a good game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well if we're gonna give out our bad opinions ITT then I don't consider 3D land and 3D World to much better than the NSMB games.

I enjoyed New Mario U more than 3D World and I enjoyed the new Shantae more than Shovel Knight. And I will not defend these opinions.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Donkey Kong 64 was enjoyable for what it was and I look forward to being able to replay it on my Wii U

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah and Bayonetta is a good game

This is a good opinion.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Not a Children posted:

Donkey Kong 64 was enjoyable for what it was and I look forward to being able to replay it on my Wii U

This is true though? DK64 was the best collectathon on the N64.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

elf help book posted:

I enjoyed New Mario U more than 3D World and I enjoyed the new Shantae more than Shovel Knight. And I will not defend these opinions.

Shantae is better than Shovel Knight but what the gently caress about 3d world

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh dear

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, about that...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm sorry, what? Are you getting DK64 confused with Banjo-Kazooie? It's an easy mistake to make, I know. DK64 played more like Banjo-Kazooie than any Donkey Kong game I ever played.

(I did not like DK64.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Super Mario 64 aged a lot better than the other N64 collectathons I think

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm sorry, what? Are you getting DK64 confused with Banjo-Kazooie? It's an easy mistake to make, I know. DK64 played more like Banjo-Kazooie than any Donkey Kong game I ever played.

(I did not like DK64.)

If you dislike DK64, then I'm sorry friend, but you have no style, you have no grace.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

If you dislike DK64, then I'm sorry friend, but you have no style, you have no grace.

Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie also have better music

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mario 64 doesn't even have you collecting much stuff. Sure there's stars and the occasional coin stuff, but its all pretty limited. Then you get to Sunshine and not only do you have blue coins but every other star is a "Go collect stuff, peasant" mission.

Also, the Banjo Kazooie remake for the 360 is great solely because it keeps track of what notes you've collected even after you exit a world. Really should give that a go.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Best way I can describe why I didn't like it is because it felt like playing a Banjo and Kazooie game. Now, I love me some Banjo/Kazooie, but if I wanted to play one of those games, I would just boot up Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie. What I wanted was Donkey Kong Country, and that's not what I got.

That, and you had to beat the retro Rare games in order to unlock the final boss and I was loving hopeless at the Donkey Kong one. I got literally EVERYTHING else in that game except for the MacGuffin you get for beating Donkey Kong. I felt cheated.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
During the Wayforward sale on the eShop a few weeks ago I bought both Mighty Switch Force Games. The Wii U version of MSF2 was supposed to be $1.49 but I ended up paying $2.49 for it because the price was mismarked. I just figured the advertisement was wrong and bought it without concern.

A couple days ago Nintendo customer service emails me to let me know that the pricing error was caught on their end and that they automatically refunded the difference to my eShop account.

Even though it was only a dollar that I had already put out of mind, I really appreciated that little bit of customer service.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looper posted:

I'm warning you

If I shoot ya

It's gonna hurt.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

13/f/cali posted:

During the Wayforward sale on the eShop a few weeks ago I bought both Mighty Switch Force Games. The Wii U version of MSF2 was supposed to be $1.49 but I ended up paying $2.49 for it because the price was mismarked. I just figured the advertisement was wrong and bought it without concern.

A couple days ago Nintendo customer service emails me to let me know that the pricing error was caught on their end and that they automatically refunded the difference to my eShop account.

Even though it was only a dollar that I had already put out of mind, I really appreciated that little bit of customer service.

Nice now you can buy some DLC.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

elf help book posted:

I enjoyed New Mario U more than 3D World ... [a]nd I will not defend these opinions.

Me too, and I will. Taken as a whole NSMBU/LU is a huge game that's easily the best 2D Mario since the SNES. It's one of the more challenging Marios on offer and has a ton of secret exits, which I love. 3D World has character variety and graphical fidelity but it's incredibly boring to actually play since it doesn't take off the training wheels until well after the end of the game. Mario has less mobility and fewer moves than any other 3D Mario game. It has all the problems of 3D Mario (platforming in 3D space on a 2D screen) but none of the grandeur of the Galaxy games or the free-roaming exploration of 64 and Sunshine. I love being able to play as Peach and Toad again but Super Mario 3D World kind of sucks.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh man, this is my favorite thing to do. especially when I state my opinions as fact. Ocarina of Time is the worst 3D Zelda game and Yoshi's Story is better than Yoshi's Island.

Looper posted:

I actually think that DK64, despite how horribly flawed its gameplay premise may be, had a very good soundtrack that often struck an excellent balance between lively and relaxing, or another, similar pair of emotions, depending on the setting. I'd argue it's not only some of Grant Kirkhope's best work, but also some of his most unique. BK and SM64 certainly have iconic soundtracks, but they lack the powerful atmosphere of DK64's soundtrack, in my opinion.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Francis posted:

Me too, and I will. Taken as a whole NSMBU/LU is a huge game that's easily the best 2D Mario since the SNES. It's one of the more challenging Marios on offer and has a ton of secret exits, which I love. 3D World has character variety and graphical fidelity but it's incredibly boring to actually play since it doesn't take off the training wheels until well after the end of the game. Mario has less mobility and fewer moves than any other 3D Mario game. It has all the problems of 3D Mario (platforming in 3D space on a 2D screen) but none of the grandeur of the Galaxy games or the free-roaming exploration of 64 and Sunshine. I love being able to play as Peach and Toad again but Super Mario 3D World kind of sucks.

You had me until you mentioned Sunshine positively. I've spent the last few months replaying every mainstream mario entry, and Sunshine is the only one that is truly a "bad" game.

I liked 3d World, but its nowhere near as memorable as either Galaxies.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I think Super Mario Sunshine is enjoyable in the same sense as a brownie with walnuts. That is to say, I avoid the tedious stuff I don't like, tough as it can be to do so. You can certainly beat Sunshine without playing too many of the lame missions, though anyone interested in 100% is probably going to get tired of the game at least a few times.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of NSMB, NOA has the refurbished NSMBU/Luigi U compilation disc for $33:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10002

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That manual is worth the extra $27.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is it supposed to have a manual at all?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Unlike the retail version of New Super Mario Bros. U, this compilation does not include an instruction booklet or a Club Nintendo code, because in this case, New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U have separated code."

Thank you, Super Mario Wiki

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Speaking of NSMB, NOA has the refurbished NSMBU/Luigi U compilation disc for $33:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10002

In case anyone here doesn't have a Wii U yet (what is wrong with you!) Nintendo has the refurbished Wii U back in stock for $200 and the shipping is about $20. Use the above link and navigate until you find it. The Wii U is the best console so far this generation; it has fun games. Also, they tend to go out of stock so you might want to act fast and buy it!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ultigonio posted:

Yoshi's Story is better than Yoshi's Island

you WHAT

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bought DK64 and I don't know why. I guess I used to like collectathon platformers, and I never played this one.

I always feel phantom embarassment by proxy when watching the intro. Like I'm imagining being like 12 years old and showing it to my parents because I thought it was so cool and it makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Are you talking about the DK Rap or the story intro because the DK Rap owns bones

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should be proud to share the DK Rap with all members of your family.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The weirdest part of DK64 for me is the cutscenes where the Kongs have dialogue. I don't even think it's voiced, just the idea that they speak at all is strange

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

You should be proud to share the DK Rap with all members of your family.

The DK Rap makes my coconut gun fire in spurts.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mario 64 doesn't even have you collecting much stuff. Sure there's stars and the occasional coin stuff, but its all pretty limited. Then you get to Sunshine and not only do you have blue coins but every other star is a "Go collect stuff, peasant" mission.

Also, the Banjo Kazooie remake for the 360 is great solely because it keeps track of what notes you've collected even after you exit a world. Really should give that a go.

They all rock gently caress y'all

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The soundtrack is definitely a high point of DK64. I can't imagine playing that game now but it was the poo poo if you're in middle school and get one new game every few months and "spend tons of time doing boring menial poo poo" is actually a positive trait for a game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Junpei Hyde posted:

Are we doing this? OK. Majora's Mask is unfun, tedious, depressing, and frustrating and is easily the worst 3D Zelda game out there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Lobster posted:

Majora's Mask is frustrating

This part of your statement actually seems kinda true. I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing other than going south to the swamp where I am still a bit confused. I guess I'll just wander around for another 3 day cycle and see what else pops up. I know I'm supposed to do dungeons in the cardinal directions, starting south, but I haven't figured out how to get from A to B and am getting a little frustrated at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

oddium posted:

The weirdest part of DK64 for me is the cutscenes where the Kongs have dialogue. I don't even think it's voiced, just the idea that they speak at all is strange
Cranky/Candy/Funky/Wrinkly have plenty of dialogue in the DKC games though

• Locked thread