Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

This works too:

Text: I'll miss the whole corral of you Yoshis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kaishek posted:

Sadly, they do not use "Zulu".

Aw.

quote:

They do use the phrase "battle rhythm" with a straight face. We just had a 6 hour meeting about it, in fact.

I just... what? In what context? To what situation that occurs in the business world are they applying this term?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Battle rhythm method

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Che Delilas posted:

Aw.

I just... what? In what context? To what situation that occurs in the business world are they applying this term?

I guess it could apply to software development: sit on your rear end for 99% of the development cycle and then spend the last 1% running around in sheer terror and panic.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Great start to the day: Late for all my meetings because some fucker decided to slash all four of my tires overnight. Happy day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

Great start to the day: Late for all my meetings because some fucker decided to slash all four of my tires overnight. Happy day.

The universe is trying to keep you away.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Sundae posted:

Wow, J&J is really committed to making GBS threads on their employees. :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Devil slashed your tires because he thinks you need a break.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Che Delilas posted:

A real email from my boss, subject line: "Afternoon battle rhythm"

my insane boss posted:

More to follow on today’s OPD. For missions this afternoon, I am tracking the following:

1. ...
2. I will update the [...] now and send around for feedback IOT publish today.
3. [...] I will review when complete IOT provide to [president] for approval.
4. [...]

I will be leaving the office at 2:15 to get on a train, and I will be on comms and working until 6:00 on the above missions. I will be in [...], which means I am similarly out of the office and mostly on comms on Monday-Tuesday. I will be working the following content over the weekend.

I get emails like this literally every day, tracking their available time down to the minute for "ALCON"

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sundae posted:

Don't do it, Sundae.

Are you sure it wasn't you during your sleep?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kaishek posted:

I get emails like this literally every day, tracking their available time down to the minute for "ALCON"

Do you work in government? My favorite was the civilians who'd never sniffed a uniform sending poo poo like this to our colonels office and then him having a battle rhythm orgasm all over the office.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Sundae posted:

Least they did all four so insurance will cover it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

Least they did all four so insurance will cover it.

Nah, I have a $1000 deductible and it's a 1995 boatmobile with a failing transmission. We're donating the damned thing and calling it a day. One car is plenty for us.

All four basically look the same.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 7, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I came in this morning and saw 120 posts and thought Sundae had gotten laid off finally.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I have a company meeting today that for the first time management is doing as a internet broadcast to every site. My theory is they don't want the plebs to be able to stone or lunch them. My bosses theory is they don't want to field hard questions like when are we getting raises so we stop loosing talent.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I came in this morning and saw 120 posts and thought Sundae had gotten laid off finally.

No, that'd be a good start to the morning. :haw:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Every Tuesday my company has a standing meeting where we "share our goals for the week" (never mind that this happens on a Tuesday, instead of a Monday). We also have a standing meeting every Friday at 4:00pm that is supposed to last 4 minutes but usually lasts 40, so that we can do "core value shout-outs" and review these whiteboard goals, which directly impacts many people's ability to accomplish the other work they're supposed to be doing. This week, we also have a 2-hour company meeting, wherein we're sure to share our stellar(ly bad) internal NPS.

Every department head usually just says something random and it's put on a whiteboard on Tuesday and briefly mumbled about on Friday.

So my manager has decided to crowdsource this process, instead of defining these goals himself:

quote:

Team, each week please add something notable for the meeting that we plan to show reportable progress on by the Friday meeting. Please include your initials and share any suggestions for changing this format.

This isn't the first instance of this, either. Almost all of the emails coming from him contain some variation on this "please give me suggestions" theme.

We're also asked to "come up with our own rocks" and "think about ways we can Scale It".

My annual review (worked here 7 years) is also 3 months overdue.

This department head is also the brother of the (former) CEO, now "President of the Division".

:cripes:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 7, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Do you work in government? My favorite was the civilians who'd never sniffed a uniform sending poo poo like this to our colonels office and then him having a battle rhythm orgasm all over the office.
What other kind of place would even use the term ALCON besides DoD / government?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

a shameful boehner posted:

We're also asked to "come up with our own rocks" and "think about ways we can Scale It".

Chromespar? Flintite?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

necrobobsledder posted:

What other kind of place would even use the term ALCON besides DoD / government?

An extremely insane non-profit.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

I saw it at the company I just left that did no dod work.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

necrobobsledder posted:

A place run by crazy people. But then again given our military makeup people that leave drop all pretensions of still being in the military in Canada.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

On Friday afternoon, my boss sent out an "all hands on deck" email stating that we had increased sales goals for April and May and everyone needed to add extra hours to their schedule and in particular, they needed people to work over the weekend. My dept. is mostly part-timers and even some full-timers (like me) have Friday off because we work hours over the weekend. I didn't see the email at all until I signed on to work on Sat. morning.

Two hours after she sent the first email, she sent a huffy followup that since only two people had responded to her email, she was assigning us all extra hours on Tuesday, when had a big promotion running.

As if it was somehow our fault that we aren't checking our work email obsessively and responding to it immediately when we're not actually working.

They're also doing this annoying new thing where they want to call attention to "creativity in action." We have this one feature that allows people to bookmark items on the site but for some reason doesn't confirm that they've bookmarked it. So we always get people writing in asking if it went through or not and myself and multiple other people have asked the dev department if we could get a confirmation pop-up or email and the suggestion has always been ignored. Then one of our promotions director noticed this same issue (a year after the process is implemented) and is like "hey why don't we add a confirmation for this?" And the goddamn CEO of the company sends out this suggestion as an amazing example of "Creativity in Action!" and a brilliant and original idea that is going to do so much to improve our customer service.

gently caress me. He's probably going to get a bump in his raise because of his amazing and creative ideas, too.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kaishek posted:

Oh, a status report. From a crazy person. I guess I shouldn't have latched onto that term as something to apply logic to, not after reading that she wanted to maintain "convoy integrity" or whatever it was.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I absolutely do not get the idea that, unless you're in a 24/7 service industry, that anyone would need to check their emails after hours. I am in a 24/7 business and when the weekend/holidays come, I tell my guys and gals to turn off their work cellular phones unless they are on call (we rotate weekends) and put on their out of office replies on their email. The operations manager and I act as the back up when and where necessary. During the week, the only thing I ask is that they flip through emails quickly on their phones at some point before they go to bed. And for the crew on call over the weekend, even if we don't have anything going on, I tell them to submit 4 hrs O/T per day for when they check email.

When you're off work, you're off work.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

This isn't the first instance of this, either. Almost all of the emails coming from him contain some variation on this "please give me suggestions" theme.

:cripes:

What the hell does "come up with our own rocks" even mean?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tide posted:

I absolutely do not get the idea that, unless you're in a 24/7 service industry, that anyone would need to check their emails after hours. I am in a 24/7 business and when the weekend/holidays come, I tell my guys and gals to turn off their work cellular phones unless they are on call (we rotate weekends) and put on their out of office replies on their email. The operations manager and I act as the back up when and where necessary. During the week, the only thing I ask is that they flip through emails quickly on their phones at some point before they go to bed. And for the crew on call over the weekend, even if we don't have anything going on, I tell them to submit 4 hrs O/T per day for when they check email.

poo poo, I work in a 24/7 environment and even we don't expect anyone to watch your e-mail the entire time. If it's important, we'll call your cell phone. If it's not important, it can wait until you get back.

e: important being "Is it customer affecting?"

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 7, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Probably :awesome:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

This works too:

Thank you for this.

Also: Just turned in my two weeks last Friday after a particularly terrible Monday that I took ungodly amounts of poo poo for on Tuesday. Apparently it was unreasonable for me to leave at 8:30pm when there was work to be done. The correct course of action was to stay until ten and then STILL come in at 6:30AM the next day.

Yeah no thanks. $12/hour isn't worth that kind of aggravation even with double time.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I see you haven't been introduced to the book "Traction" yet and "Rocks" by EOS Worldwide.

It lays out that companies (and of course, by extension, their employees) should define their "big goals" (rocks) and then all the normal day-to-day tasks fill in around them. These should all be "SMART" (S.pecific, M.easurable, A.ttainable, R.elevant and T.imebound), which are then supposed to be reviewed by one's manager/department head and agreed upon.

Its essentially a way of a company piling on additional tasks to an employee's day-to-day work that are, supposedly, much easier to hold them accountable for.

It's not mentioned what happens when your manager fails to either approve or review your rocks for the last three quarters, however. :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tide posted:

HIlariously, our HR manager sent an email at 9:30 PM last night for all employees to bring their "hiking gear" for a hike that would take place following the company's quarterly meeting between the hours of 5 and 7 PM.

I came into work this morning wearing new loafers that are giving me a blister on my heel. Our office admin also told me "there's no way in gently caress that I'm going".

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

I see you haven't been introduced to the book "Traction" yet and "Rocks" by EOS Worldwide.

It lays out that companies (and of course, by extension, their employees) should define their "big goals" (rocks) and then all the normal day-to-day tasks fill in around them. These should all be "SMART" (S.pecific, M.easurable, A.ttainable, R.elevant and T.imebound), which are then supposed to be reviewed by one's manager/department head and agreed upon.

Its essentially a way of a company piling on additional tasks to an employee's day-to-day work that are, supposedly, much easier to hold them accountable for.

It's not mentioned what happens when your manager fails to either approve or review your rocks for the last three quarters, however. :v:

Whoever came up with that should be hit in the head with a rock, repeatedly. :wtc:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Are you me? :v:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lowly posted:

They're also doing this annoying new thing where they want to call attention to "creativity in action." We have this one feature that allows people to bookmark items on the site but for some reason doesn't confirm that they've bookmarked it. So we always get people writing in asking if it went through or not and myself and multiple other people have asked the dev department if we could get a confirmation pop-up or email and the suggestion has always been ignored. Then one of our promotions director noticed this same issue (a year after the process is implemented) and is like "hey why don't we add a confirmation for this?" And the goddamn CEO of the company sends out this suggestion as an amazing example of "Creativity in Action!" and a brilliant and original idea that is going to do so much to improve our customer service.

gently caress me. He's probably going to get a bump in his raise because of his amazing and creative ideas, too.

Why would you need to bookmark something right on your site, is it 1994?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

poo poo, I work in a 24/7 environment and even we don't expect anyone to watch your e-mail the entire time. If it's important, we'll call your cell phone. If it's not important, it can wait until you get back.

e: important being "Is it customer affecting?"

The problem some have is that everything is important; that they are the special snowflake.

Our overseas staff thinks everything for our 'very valued customer' must be answered right now and I have slowly trained them over the years that it isn't and that my office will get to it as expeditiously as possible the following business day.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Quarterly meeting update: scheduled to start at 1:00 PM PST, now 2:37 PST, meeting has not started. Employees wandering aimlessly around office, bathrooms, supply closets, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Spent an hour loving around with VBA and google, automated a daily fifteen minutes process.

Have resolved to learn VBA.

I'm becoming that guy.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

FrozenVent posted:

Spent an hour loving around with VBA and google, automated a daily fifteen minutes process.

Have resolved to learn VBA.

I'm becoming that guy.

Never let them find out. That way you have lots more loving around time. I made the mistake of automating a lot of poo poo and then showing off my innovations to my boss. Never again in a job where my role doesn't officially include automation.

Now my job includes automation by definition but at least my current boss doesn't think it's amazing wizard magic (and then demand the impossible) since he is better at automation scripts than I am.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Going back to the talk of companies asking people to do health exams for money, I just got a letter in the mail from Anthem asking me to see some random person so that they can help my doctor fix my poo poo. Previously, I was adamantly opposed to this process. Now, I'm kind of curious what would happen if I went in to talk about my high cholesterol and tell them that the only reason it is high is because they don't cover the only medication that is both effective and doesn't cause me to fire fluids out of my holes. On the other hand, I see 3 or 4 different doctors a total of perhaps 24 times a year to manage a couple of chronic conditions and the usual life poo poo, what could this person possibly tell me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Our HR had a health push not to long ago for everyone to join teams and have a contest to lose 20% of our body weight in something like a month. I don't think they realized that could be dangerous and a good many couldn't drop that much weight without looking like a skeleton.

Yeah, that changed about 39 minutes after the email and out to everyone in North and South America