Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

I legitimately fail to see the issue with any of this. Yes, you could, in theory, use Wi-Fi access point data broadcast to track someone. I don't understand why that's an issue though. Anyone who wanted to get the kind of data that it's leaking about specifically you could easily get it without going through all of that.

Worrying about what unconnected Wi-Fi tells about you is just ridiculous. Keeping it enabled has real location accuracy and battery usage benefits whereas the opposite is complete :tinfoil: bullshit.

As for the apps and their permissions, come on. It's not difficult to find good apps and I'm sure everyone here (in a nerd phone thread for weirdos) can easily tell a good app from a bad one. I'm not saying grandmothers who can't tell spam from email couldn't do it (which is a legitimate complaint about Android) but is anyone here seriously unable to distinguish malware from useful apps on Google Play?

That's cool, but obviously there are plenty of people, myself included, that would prefer not to broadcast to the whole world the fact that they were just at the Bunny Ranch or whatever while exposing themselves to MITM attacks.

As for permissions, well, there's no reason not just let users deny them individually like most phone systems manange, including CM. This would solve the issue for the :spergin: crowd and everyone else can just keep installing their flappy bird clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Dirk Funk posted:

I would like to know if it's possible to do this without needing to root the phone. If you're phone is rooted I think there are ways to do it, but I don't want to do that.

Prior to Lollipop, I used Mr. Number to just automatically hang up on any numbers that I put in a block list. Once Lollipop came out, this feature no longer works and I haven't found anything that will work with Lollipop that doesn't require root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en

That's what I use, I get a ton of sales calls every day for work poo poo so I finally had to get something to block it. Also one of my former employees I guess listed me as her work number so I would have to deal with her collection calls. Works pretty great on kitkat and lollipop. Aint' cheap as far as Apps go though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's what I use, I get a ton of sales calls every day for work poo poo so I finally had to get something to block it. Also one of my former employees I guess listed me as her work number so I would have to deal with her collection calls. Works pretty great on kitkat and lollipop. Aint' cheap as far as Apps go though.

This looks like it works well, but holy lol at that UI.

Also, I guess more call blocker app discussion should go to the app thread!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I didn't want to be a dick and tell him to go to the App thread. Yeah the UI if god loving awful but it works.

Any word on a new moto phone or is the Nexus 6 it?

Exitlights
Dec 25, 2006
Calmly and clearly announce that the building must be evacuated.
I'm torn on the S6 vs. S6 Edge. To any owners of either: do you wish you had gone for the other version, don't care, or are you glad for the one you picked?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

As for the apps and their permissions, come on. It's not difficult to find good apps and I'm sure everyone here (in a nerd phone thread for weirdos) can easily tell a good app from a bad one. I'm not saying grandmothers who can't tell spam from email couldn't do it (which is a legitimate complaint about Android) but is anyone here seriously unable to distinguish malware from useful apps on Google Play?

Google is actively trying to disarm users, app publishers are getting more predatory as people resign themselves to the level of exposure derelict governments expect of them, and if we confirm that an app is valid it's through independent research, not relying on what Google Play tells us.

It's at least less bad on iOS but both platforms have massive artificial barriers to checking a publisher's work (with one ironic set of exceptions).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Exitlights posted:

I'm torn on the S6 vs. S6 Edge. To any owners of either: do you wish you had gone for the other version, don't care, or are you glad for the one you picked?

I haven't thought twice about the Edge since I got my s6 regular. For me it was mostly as simple as not wanting to pay any extra for what I perceived to be a gimmicky difference. S6 Regular is dang nice looking too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Exitlights posted:

Regular S6 is just fine and while I admit the Edge is cool I'm glad I stuck with the regular.

Aside from that just go to a Best Buy and try them out.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Thermopyle posted:

This looks like it works well, but holy lol at that UI.

Also, I guess more call blocker app discussion should go to the app thread!

Thanks for the recommendation. $7 is more than I would expect, but worth it for something that actually works.

If I have any more questions about apps, I'll check out the app thread.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Birb Katter posted:

I'm just playing through the app now and it also wants to farm you FB contacts. You can earn different badges and one is "brand ambassador". This can't bode well.

All I want to do is block private numbers that used to be a stock feature in Android. Why they gotta make it so hard. Might be time to roll back a version.

The thread is going to have this but...

TouchWiz does this :). I've been blocking numbers on my Note 4 left and right as the political calls have started to ramp up this season.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Exitlights posted:

Do you care about looks or not? That's all it is, so if you're the type that would buy a flashy car, then buy the Edge. If you prefer a Corolla, buy a regular.:caranalogy:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yesterday I accidentally removed my home wlan connection, and immediately added it back. Weird thing is, now the signal is always grey, and not blue. But everything seems to work, so I don't know what's up. I'm using 4.2

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The thread is going to have this but...

TouchWiz does this :). I've been blocking numbers on my Note 4 left and right as the political calls have started to ramp up this season.

It does? I just got a Galaxy S6. I want to just be able to block the numbers and not just send them voicemail.

How do I do this?

edit: Nevermind. I think I found it under Auto Reject List. It looks like this sends them to Voicemail, but if I never get bothered by the phone ringing and they don't leave a message (they never do) that will work for me.

Dirk Funk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 7, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

midnightclimax posted:

Yesterday I accidentally removed my home wlan connection, and immediately added it back. Weird thing is, now the signal is always grey, and not blue. But everything seems to work, so I don't know what's up. I'm using 4.2

That typically means that Google Services isn't connected and/or syncing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Reverse Centaur posted:

Do you care about looks or not? That's all it is, so if you're the type that would buy a flashy car, then buy the Edge. If you prefer a Corolla, buy a regular.:caranalogy:

There is also the supposed screen issues popping up with the Edge, at least with Tmobile pre-orders. People are seeing dead pixels, scratches on the 'edges' and cracks as well where it curves or something. I think they're the only ones that shipped it really early so it's too soon to tell how wide spread it is.

That said, I am still torn on which to get when it drops at the store later this week, hopefully they still have both in stock when I make my way there Saturday morning.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s6-edge-users-report-screen-defects-598322/

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 7, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Well, I've officially Samsung'd myself. It was between the Z3, Z3c, Note 4, and Zenfone 2. Ultimately decided on the N4 because I want the larger screen for playing Hearthstone and watching movies. The camera is also best in class, and while the battery isn't as good as the Sony phones, it's at least a vast improvement on my Moto X. Also didn't want to wait for the ZF2 because I was seeing reports that only a Spring US release was promised and it got bad battery life. $470 for a Note 4 was too good to pass up: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/07/deal-alert-unlocked-samsung-galaxy-note-4-on-sale-for-469-99-through-ebay-daily-deals/

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 7, 2015

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

El Grillo posted:

So I've got free upgrade now and am getting an m8 to replace my m7 - because gently caress paying £49 a month for a decent data plan, especially since the phone seems like a mess from first reviews.
Only problem is for some lovely reason you can't get the 32GB m8 in the UK, only the 16GB. Can anyone tell me if it's true you can't move apps to the SD card on current Android? Because if so then this seems like a bad choice.

Android has allowed for apps to be stored to expandable memory since 2.2, so you should be good to go.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

GopherFlats posted:

Android has allowed for apps to be stored to expandable memory since 2.2, so you should be good to go.

But they run like poo poo and no one should do it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

mobby_6kl posted:

That's cool, but obviously there are plenty of people, myself included, that would prefer not to broadcast to the whole world the fact that they were just at the Bunny Ranch or whatever while exposing themselves to MITM attacks.

As for permissions, well, there's no reason not just let users deny them individually like most phone systems manange, including CM. This would solve the issue for the :spergin: crowd and everyone else can just keep installing their flappy bird clones.
There's some poo poo xposed module that can disable app permissions if you want to keep using poo poo apps.

Also good luck getting MITM'd with a wifi you've never ever connected to earlier.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Zom Aur posted:

There's some poo poo xposed module that can disable app permissions if you want to keep using poo poo apps.

Also good luck getting MITM'd with a wifi you've never ever connected to earlier.

These are about $100 and will certainly do what you seem to think is challenging.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see the new page.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I saw the M8 on At&t is finally rolling out Lollipop today, then I was pissed it said nothing about the M7. Come home from work and see a software update required and think YES maybe, just maybe. It downloads a 2mb file that doesn't look like it did anything. Pissed off I went to the gym and upon my return another software update, this time 840MB! Here's hoping it's not just a Sense update!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

These are about $100 and will certainly do what you seem to think is challenging.

Feel free to explain in detail, if you have the time. Or do they assume the attacker knows about what ESSID/BSSID the phone usually connects to?

I'm not much of a phone janitor, but this sounds interesting.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Zom Aur posted:

Feel free to explain in detail, if you have the time. Or do they assume the attacker knows about what ESSID/BSSID the phone usually connects to?

I'm not much of a phone janitor, but this sounds interesting.

As your wifi device reaches out to connect to a network the Pineapple basically goes "yes, this is that wap and your password is correct"

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

As your wifi device reaches out to connect to a network the Pineapple basically goes "yes, this is that wap and your password is correct"
This assumes the attacker knows what networks I usually connect to, and unless I'm wrong (quite a possibility, I don't know much about how android does its poo poo) what BSSID I goes with what network.

Not that it's in any way impossible to get that information, but in that case you could just set it up in close proximity where I'd usually connect to that network either way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounds like devices are sending out probes with SSIDs they've used in the past, and the Pineapple intercepts these and says "oh hey yah I'm that network."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

It sounds like devices are sending out probes with SSIDs they've used in the past, and the Pineapple intercepts these and says "oh hey yah I'm that network."

Which is true. Your device will occasionally probe out with saved networks to auto-connect to. So, if someone had an updated and properly configured one of these devices, they could trick your phone into connecting to it. That's only one part of a MITM attack though. You still have to glean something from the data you are now intercepting. Pretty much everything that is using background sync on your phone should be using SSL so it would take a very sophisticated attack to actually get any useful info from the traffic. Now, the phone itself may have vulnerabilities that could be actively attacked, but again the sophistication jumps a bit.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Oh! Okay.

Then yeah, that'd be a problem.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Updated my Galaxy S5 to 4.4.4 this weekend and now my home button always acts like a long press: it brings up s-voice instead of taking me to the home screen. Ideas anyone? I actually like touchwiz and don't want to have to use another launcher.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I got word today that Android Central is sending me a Zenfone 2 (apparently the 4GB/64GB model, holy poo poo) from a contest they were holding for reviewers. Looking forward to checking it out and reporting back here.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443769663"]
Well, I've officially Samsung'd myself. It was between the Z3, Z3c, Note 4, and Zenfone 2. Ultimately decided on the N4 because I want the larger screen for playing Hearthstone and watching movies. The camera is also best in class, and while the battery isn't as good as the Sony phones, it's at least a vast improvement on my Moto X. Also didn't want to wait for the ZF2 because I was seeing reports that only a Spring US release was promised and it got bad battery life. $470 for a Note 4 was too good to pass up: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/07/deal-alert-unlocked-samsung-galaxy-note-4-on-sale-for-469-99-through-ebay-daily-deals/

Yea, I've been disappointed by Asus's lack of schedule for the ZF2 in the US. "March" became April and now it looks like maybe not until May. That battery issue is weird because it's apparently only effecting the 4GB versions and it looks like some software issue keeping the phone awake. Hopefully they fix it. The one guy on XDA with a 2GB version gets well over a day of battery life with heavy use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Faustian Bargain posted:

Updated my Galaxy S5 to 4.4.4 this weekend and now my home button always acts like a long press: it brings up s-voice instead of taking me to the home screen. Ideas anyone? I actually like touchwiz and don't want to have to use another launcher.
Yep that's an AT&T/Samsung thing, enjoy. I found a friend an app that intercepts longpresses and maps them to regular presses to mitigate the issue but until Samsung gets better at software you'll just live with it and like it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are we going to be able to get green S6's that work on AT&T at all? I mean, I'm pretty sure AT&T won't be selling it, but will we be able to buy one outright from somewhere?

I can't believe I'm considering a phone with TouchWiz on it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yep that's an AT&T/Samsung thing, enjoy. I found a friend an app that intercepts longpresses and maps them to regular presses to mitigate the issue but until Samsung gets better at software you'll just live with it and like it.
The post is saying that the button acts like it is being long pressed even when it isn't. That isn't normal, even for a Samsung garbage phone.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Are we going to be able to get green S6's that work on AT&T at all? I mean, I'm pretty sure AT&T won't be selling it, but will we be able to buy one outright from somewhere?

Remember, it's not just touchwiz. Samsung has a history of being one disappointment after another. I'd seriously be wary about getting one until I know for sure that this device won't be a drat mess in 3-6 months.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I got word today that Android Central is sending me a Zenfone 2 (apparently the 4GB/64GB model, holy poo poo) from a contest they were holding for reviewers. Looking forward to checking it out and reporting back here.

Yea, I've been disappointed by Asus's lack of schedule for the ZF2 in the US. "March" became April and now it looks like maybe not until May. That battery issue is weird because it's apparently only effecting the 4GB versions and it looks like some software issue keeping the phone awake. Hopefully they fix it. The one guy on XDA with a 2GB version gets well over a day of battery life with heavy use.

That's awesome, congrats. I was thinking of doing that contest, but when I found out it wasn't just randomly chosen people, I decided it wasn't worth the :effort:.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

The post is saying that the button acts like it is being long pressed even when it isn't. That isn't normal, even for a Samsung garbage phone.
The AT&T KitKat updates do this, at least from the four or five people at work who've had them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

From what I've been told, the green S6 isn't even coming out in the States.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
Just got a wireless charging pad for my S6 for my desk at work and every time I put the phone on the pad I hear a high pitched beep which sounds like it's coming from the phone.

Is there any way to disable this sound (assuming it's coming from the phone)? I don't want that sound happening at work.if I can help it. I've never had one of these charging pads before so I'm new to this.

Dirk Funk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 8, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

Sounds to me like you have S-voice set to launch via a double press of the home key and something either in software or hardware is making your presses register double. If that's the case disabling the shortcut should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Desk Lamp posted:

Sounds to me like you have S-voice set to launch via a double press of the home key and something either in software or hardware is making your presses register double. If that's the case disabling the shortcut should fix it.

But but but then how will he use S Voice?!