Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realize that the holodeck can't make money that can leave the holodeck, but the holodeck can certainly make you some money if you know what I'm saying

And it doesn't have to be in the backyard. The backyard is in IT. Why have a house? Have a sectioned-off private area in the holodeck. Rent out the other half for $1000/hour

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the transporter always kills you. It literally takes you apart atom by atom, turns you (and whoever else is on the pad) into goop, and reuses said goop to make a copy of you at the destination. You die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kUVmDJ1zB0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Holodecks would lead to the downfall of civilization, because if you had a holodeck and a replicator, you wouldn't do anything else. You know those people who do nothing but play MMOs all day? Give them a holodeck and see what happens.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cat Hatter posted:

The holographic chef argument managed to sway me towards the holodeck, but the thing is so big that I'm wondering where I'd put it. Even if you put it in the backyard you would have a bunch of trouble when it came time to move and you have to figure out how to transport a 2 story tall (lets say) 500 square foot box, to say nothing of pouring a proper foundation for it in the first place.

Holodeck wouldn't be an addition to your house, it would BE your house. If you needed to move you'd sell your holodeck and buy a new one at the new location and resync your data from Google drive/ Dropbox/ iTunes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In order to use the holodeck, you either need to keep your job or rent it out to people. You still have to go buy food. It's really tough between holodeck and replicator. Is there any catch to the replicator? Or is the power source powerful enough to create matter from energy?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

Holodecks would lead to the downfall of civilization, because if you had a holodeck and a replicator, you wouldn't do anything else. You know those people who do nothing but play MMOs all day? Give them a holodeck and see what happens.

Counterpoint, those MMOs didn't turn them into addicts. As we currently understand it these were addicts who found the thing they were addicted to. MMO addicts and people who spend a ton of money on free to play games are a very small minority, just like people who can't control their drinking or gambling. Some people would be addicted to holodecks for sure, but not everyone or even most people.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cojawfee posted:

In order to use the holodeck, you either need to keep your job or rent it out to people. You still have to go buy food. It's really tough between holodeck and replicator. Is there any catch to the replicator? Or is the power source powerful enough to create matter from energy?

Just like the in-universe replicator, the device creates matter from other forms of matter. So you could stick all your trash/wastepaper/hunk of dirt into the matter buffer and it would reorganize that matter into whatever you wanted. And if the replicator serves you food, you eat the food, then return the used dishes and utensils to be reclaimed by the replicator.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

greatn posted:

Holodeck wouldn't be an addition to your house, it would BE your house. If you needed to move you'd sell your holodeck and buy a new one at the new location and resync your data from Google drive/ Dropbox/ iTunes.

How many holodecks are floating around in this scenario?

Speaking of money though, I wonder if Warner Bros. would be willing to sign over half the gross revenue to put a video camera in there for a few hours. "Computer, create a Justice League movie that could defeat The Avengers (at the box office)" The only financial risk they'd be taking upfront would be the camera guy's salary. I know you could just ask for a 4K file to copy to a real hard drive, but where is the fun in that?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would, quite seriously, love to play Skyrim on a holodeck. Might make those barrows scary instead of grindy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Ah guys, the holodeck USES replicators for most of the poo poo you eat/touch remember. Holodeck gives you the best of both worlds.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

Ah guys, the holodeck USES replicators for most of the poo poo you eat/touch remember. Holodeck gives you the best of both worlds.

They are three loving interrelated technologies. The dilemma is bullshit, because it's an artificial constraint that you can't use the replicator to figure out how to build a holodeck or vice versa.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

greatn posted:

Counterpoint, those MMOs didn't turn them into addicts. As we currently understand it these were addicts who found the thing they were addicted to. MMO addicts and people who spend a ton of money on free to play games are a very small minority, just like people who can't control their drinking or gambling. Some people would be addicted to holodecks for sure, but not everyone or even most people.

Did you never see the episode of Futurama where they warned us about Marilyn Monrobots?

https://vimeo.com/12915013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

You still would sure as hell need a job if you had a replicator (even if it was just selling things you replicated.)

You would still need to pay to live somewhere. You would still have utilities. You would still have medical costs.

Replicator would be nice for food, but food isn't exactly a huge part of my budget. Neither are clothes or other tangible items. Mortgage and utilities make up the lions share. You can't just bow out of the economy because you can replicate the perfect lasagna or pair of pants.

Holodeck opens up so many doors. There's the entertainment aspects of it of course, but there's a bunch of things you could do besides that. There are a whole host of occupations out there that need hands on experience that's nearly impossible to come by unless you are rich already. Want to train to become a race car driver? You could do that poo poo ever evening until exhaustion because it would cost you nothing in resources. Pilot? You can learn on something that destroys any other type of simulator. Want to learn 10 languages? You have your own holographic private tutor. Need to fix your car? You have a full garage of state of the art tools (as well as tools that couldn't possibly exist in the real world.)

There are just so many possibilities with the Holodeck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

How many holodecks are floating around in this scenario?

Speaking of money though, I wonder if Warner Bros. would be willing to sign over half the gross revenue to put a video camera in there for a few hours. "Computer, create a Justice League movie that could defeat The Avengers (at the box office)" The only financial risk they'd be taking upfront would be the camera guy's salary. I know you could just ask for a 4K file to copy to a real hard drive, but where is the fun in that?

"Computer, create the blueprints for a replicator built out of common earth elements along with a cheap long-lasting power source"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bull3964 posted:

You still would sure as hell need a job if you had a replicator (even if it was just selling things you replicated.)

You would still need to pay to live somewhere. You would still have utilities. You would still have medical costs.

Replicator would be nice for food, but food isn't exactly a huge part of my budget. Neither are clothes or other tangible items. Mortgage and utilities make up the lions share. You can't just bow out of the economy because you can replicate the perfect lasagna or pair of pants.

Holodeck opens up so many doors. There's the entertainment aspects of it of course, but there's a bunch of things you could do besides that. There are a whole host of occupations out there that need hands on experience that's nearly impossible to come by unless you are rich already. Want to train to become a race car driver? You could do that poo poo ever evening until exhaustion because it would cost you nothing in resources. Pilot? You can learn on something that destroys any other type of simulator. Want to learn 10 languages? You have your own holographic private tutor. Need to fix your car? You have a full garage of state of the art tools (as well as tools that couldn't possibly exist in the real world.)

There are just so many possibilities with the Holodeck.

As far as the replicator supporting you forever on its own, I assume that you could replicate enough gold to live on and as long as you didn't go crazy you wouldn't collapse the market or anything like that. Or failing that, I'm sure you could work out some way to sell the products of your replicator. Taxes might be a hassle, and it wouldn't allow you to totally dip out of the economy since you still have to sell stuff, but I think someone with the only replicator in the world could support themselves and live comfortably off of it with little work, provided nobody steals it.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 7, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The replicator doesn't make matter out of nothing, if you want gold, then by god you'd better have elemental gold in your replicator's goop supplies. The Federation isn't post-scarcity, they're just absurdly efficient at recycling. When they're done with something, they don't throw it in a landfill and bulldoze over it, they dematerialize the poo poo into the replicator goop supplies for future use.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pakled posted:

As far as the replicator supporting you forever on its own, I assume that you could replicate enough gold to live on and as long as you didn't go crazy you wouldn't collapse the market or anything like that. Or failing that, I'm sure you could work out some way to sell the products of your replicator. Taxes might be a hassle, and it wouldn't allow you to totally dip out of the economy since you still have to sell stuff, but I think someone with the only replicator in the world could support themselves and live comfortably off of it with little work, provided nobody steals it.

What can you buy with gold that you couldn't simulate with a Holodeck?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lowen SoDium posted:

What can you buy with gold that you couldn't simulate with a Holodeck?

Bitcoin.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Not true! I bet I could simulate any manner of masochism.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Holodeck can replicate a Bitcoin, but not the paranoia and delusion required to own one.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
The only thing I keep thinking is how, though it's the least broadly useful thing in the list, having to deal with dallas traffic every day gives the transporter a certain attraction to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gammatron 64 posted:

And I bet Gammatron 6 said the same thing about the horse collar!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The transporter could give you gold easily, you could even just mine it straight out of the ground. You wouldn't need to pay to live anywhere if you could just beam yourself into empty houses, and you could use it to go to most of the places for real a holodeck could only simulate, from swimming on a deserted beach to visiting the moon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was mostly just making an allusion to to Futurama, holodecks won't literally cause the downfall of civilization.

That said, give me a holodeck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The transporter is also the cure for any disease, since you can just use the information from your last non-infected transport, and the cure for aging since you can apparently program it to reconstruct you as any age you want.

You could make a fortune charging people for those two features alone. Just make them sign a waiver that you're not liable if it splits them into good and evil versions of themselves or accidentally sends them to the Mirror Lesbian Universe.

Hmm, now I'm not sure replicator is the right choice after all.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

I wonder if you could tell the replicator that you want to have something incredibly unhealthy, but with the nutritional properties of something else? Like, can it replicate me a piece of cake with the nutritional properties of a salad?

I don't know if it could go quite that far, but I would imagine that replicators would make left-handed sugar pretty trivial to accomplish.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the transporter always kills you. It literally takes you apart atom by atom, turns you (and whoever else is on the pad) into goop, and reuses said goop to make a copy of you at the destination. You die.

Also everyone in Star Trek is literally insane because FTL is physically impossible :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also everyone in Star Trek is literally insane because FTL is physically impossible :v:
Spock is obviously delusional, as no copper-blooded intelligent life form could possibly reproduce with a red-blooded mammal.

For that matter, what the hell are these guys trying to pull, pretending they aren't humans? They are all clearly humans wearing funny makeup.

Pan out to a snow globe containing a starship clutched in the hands of Bill Shatner in a mental hospital, currently in the process of closing due to Reagan; after the credits roll, his frozen body lays in the gutter, hand crooked into the 'live long and prosper' salute. In the background, Ben Sisko is shot by a policeman.

the policeman is Q

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

apophenium posted:

gently caress my desire to watch Enterprise just dropped to zero

Enterprise is a lot better than Voyager, it just never reached the heights of DS9 or the iconic status of TOS and TNG where you can easily take the good with the bij. In standard Trek tradition the first 2 seasons are rough and drop some pretty big stinkers, but there are some good episodes in there too. Season 3 goes into a season-long story arc and largely succeeds where Voyager failed with the "one ship far from home" thing. Season 4 starts off by going balls to the wall with crazy Trek stuff, then into a few multi episode story arcs, and has a pretty satisfying ending and then another episode after that which is universally panned.

It sucks Ent only got 4 seasons while we got a full 7 of Voyager.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

armoredgorilla posted:

The replicator doesn't make matter out of nothing, if you want gold, then by god you'd better have elemental gold in your replicator's goop supplies. The Federation isn't post-scarcity, they're just absurdly efficient at recycling. When they're done with something, they don't throw it in a landfill and bulldoze over it, they dematerialize the poo poo into the replicator goop supplies for future use.

Throw in some charcoal, "computer make a precise diamond sphere one foot in diameter", buy the planet.

e; also I am pretty sure you are wrong and they can transmute matter, otherwise there is no reason latinum has value but gold does not.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 8, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Throw in some charcoal, "computer make a precise diamond sphere one foot in diameter", buy the planet.

e; also I am pretty sure you are wrong and they can transmute matter, otherwise there is no reason latinum has value but gold does not.
Gold is trivially available from asteroids with the technology from even Enterprise. I mean there'd be some work but it's not uniquely precious. It'd be like in Star Control II, probably.

Also, a diamond that size would be a useless artificial novelty and would get de Beers attempting to kill you. Use that carbon to make carbon nanotubes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nessus posted:

Gold is trivially available from asteroids with the technology from even Enterprise. I mean there'd be some work but it's not uniquely precious. It'd be like in Star Control II, probably.

Also, a diamond that size would be a useless artificial novelty and would get de Beers attempting to kill you. Use that carbon to make carbon nanotubes.

I imagine with Trek tech wizardry it would be pretty easy to do some sort of directed decay of a heavier nuclide, lead into gold for example. Synthesizing fatty atoms like that from H or He or whatever would require comical amounts of energy and intense neutron radiation, in nature that's a process that occurs in dying/exploding stars.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

I imagine with Trek tech wizardry it would be pretty easy to do some sort of directed decay of a heavier nuclide, lead into gold for example. Synthesizing fatty atoms like that from H or He or whatever would require comical amounts of energy and intense neutron radiation, in nature that's a process that occurs in dying/exploding stars.
They got big ol' solar factories orbiting around stars which pump out antimatter for gassing up Starfleet. I imagine they could handle nucleosynthesis, but it might be cheaper to just phaser open some asteroids.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nessus posted:

They got big ol' solar factories orbiting around stars which pump out antimatter for gassing up Starfleet. I imagine they could handle nucleosynthesis, but it might be cheaper to just phaser open some asteroids.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's "doable," just probably a hell of a lot more efficient to mine it.

This topic made me pull out my astrochemistry notes, I'd forgotten how cool nucleosynthesis is.

Anything heavier than iron was created by a dying star/supernova :science:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Which means our solar system is the ruins of at least one previous exploded star. Which is kind of mind-boggling. What was here before this? Was there life?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Which means our solar system is the ruins of at least one previous exploded star. Which is kind of mind-boggling. What was here before this? Was there life?

Yep, the "we are all star dust" line is quite literally true. The universe is ~14 billion years old, the solar system 4.6, so there were probably several generations of stars that blew up and contributed to the dust cloud that would eventually form the current Solar System.

It's pretty loving :aaa:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the one where Reed gets pinned to the hull, why did they not even suggest beaming him out? Even if they dismissed it because the transporter is buggy, they should have at least mentioned it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought it was specifically stated that gold can be replicated, which is why Ferengi considered it worthless, and that's why latinum became the standard material of wealth (since it can't be replicated).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

In the one where Reed gets pinned to the hull, why did they not even suggest beaming him out? Even if they dismissed it because the transporter is buggy, they should have at least mentioned it.

Given the level of medicine they should have, the should have been able to just amputate his leg/arm whatever and then fix it later. But medicine in Trek, with the exception of when it's a medical episode, is always hilariously backwards.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

Their pattern-matching wasn't good enough to sort out what's Reed and what's hull at that point, presumably.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

As I recall, damaging the mine's struts would have set it off, so they probably couldn't have removed Reed via transporter without detonating the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kesper North posted:

Their pattern-matching wasn't good enough to sort out what's Reed and what's hull at that point, presumably.

Or what's Reed and what's part of the mine stuck in his leg, so maybe trying to beam him out might trip the detonator. I can't really remember.

e: f;b

• Locked thread