Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wonder if Spruance really thought that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

I don't know much about Cambodian history or Angkor Thom, but is it possible that they supplemented the structure with wood or other decomposable material that would've been lost? If that's the case then the city might seem a lot less defensible now than it was when it was fully inhabited. The only thing I can recall about South East Asian history is a 100-level college class wherein the professor said not much was known because the jungle tended to reclaim the predominantly wooden cities. That was a long time ago so I might just be misremembering things, but it would make sense that the city doesn't seem well defended if you look at only the parts that are made of stone.

Yeah, the actual footprint of Angkor is pretty huge.

http://www.livescience.com/1781-urban-sprawl-doomed-angkor-wat.html

I think it was one of those places way to big to properly enclose and fortify (particularly since any army commanding the field could gently caress with their irrigation and agriculture something fierce if they really wanted to) but didn't worry so much about that since it was the biggest shitkickingest city in the local. And, so long as that was the case, they were the ones going around delivering sieges. Angkor Thom is less a fort and more a palace. A really nice palace, and probably not bad as a place to go when it all goes pear shaped, but it's not like you were ever going to get the whole city of 'just' a few hundred thousand people and food to feed them in there.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

the JJ posted:

Yeah, the actual footprint of Angkor is pretty huge.

http://www.livescience.com/1781-urban-sprawl-doomed-angkor-wat.html

I think it was one of those places way to big to properly enclose and fortify (particularly since any army commanding the field could gently caress with their irrigation and agriculture something fierce if they really wanted to) but didn't worry so much about that since it was the biggest shitkickingest city in the local. And, so long as that was the case, they were the ones going around delivering sieges. Angkor Thom is less a fort and more a palace. A really nice palace, and probably not bad as a place to go when it all goes pear shaped, but it's not like you were ever going to get the whole city of 'just' a few hundred thousand people and food to feed them in there.

Yeah, see what you mean. When you're over a million people in one city fortification isn't a going concern. I was just commenting on the lack of towers and things like that, stuff that may have been deemed too expensive to build and maintain if it were stone, but could be knocked together from wood and then lost over time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nenonen posted:

This is also true of many European fortresses of the modern era. Their walls may not seem hard to climb, but all types of obstacles made it difficult for an attacking force to approach in a good order while under fire.

What's with the trees?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's with the trees?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abatis

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can anyone tell me about KMT 29th Corps and their use of swords during the Defense of the Great Wall? I heard that they become somewhat famous/infamous for fighting the Japanese with Chinese swords.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

cheerfullydrab posted:

I wonder if Spruance really thought that was a good idea.

The USN didn't know all that much about the Yamato class until after the war. Even so, 6 on 1 is pretty good odds. In terms of main guns it's 24x 16" and 36x 14" against 9x 18.1"

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pages back, but figured I'd mention, the Ask Historians subreddit has been overwhelmingly good, most of the time.

The main history one though, jesus christ it's terrible.

Please, all the real history happens on /r/polandball.

Regarding future military history, what have recent city defenses looked like? Where do you deploy troops in a city under threat, how do you supply the city, what do you do with all of the people in it?

Where do the defenses actually take place? I know that, for example, in NYC while there are several military facilities within the city, all of the fortifications therein are aimed at protecting from terrorists and vandals; things like bronze-plated dragon's teeth in Wall Street, the reinforced base of NWTC. But any actual defence of the city from some threat would have to be almost entirely naval (as Washington's failure to defend the city from the British demonstrates). Is the same true for most of our coastal cities? What about landlocked cities which have been at risk? What sort of defensive structures do Israeli city planners build?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Keldoclock posted:

Where do the defenses actually take place?
In the case of the United States: A thousand or more miles out to sea and if that doesn't work the primary ground fighting will be conducted with pointy sticks and shards of melted glass in the post-nuclear hellworld.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd imagine that invading troops on our soil would mean a nuclear response aimed at their homeland.

Comedy answer: The entire Russian fleet in NY Harbor ala CoD:MW3.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arrath posted:

I'd imagine that invading troops on our soil would mean a nuclear response aimed at their homeland.

Comedy answer: The entire Russian fleet in NY Harbor ala CoD:MW3.

Or Tanya blowing up their battleships.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The Friendly Feldwebel is ordered out of the trenches. However, the German Sapper is actually in action, and his brutal, detailed account of fighting hand-to-hand at Vauquois is where we're at. Hold onto your lunch. He doesn't hold back much.

You wouldn't happen to be able to point me to where I can read that German Sapper bit in German, would you?

Also :stare:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The defense of the United States currently takes place in the bombed out ruins of their cities, about a week after they dare say anything terribly mean about America, and maybe 20-50 years before their military approaches anything like parity with the US armed forces.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The Friendly Feldwebel is ordered out of the trenches. However, the German Sapper is actually in action, and his brutal, detailed account of fighting hand-to-hand at Vauquois is where we're at. Hold onto your lunch. He doesn't hold back much.

quote:

In a moment my dagger was in his stomach, more than up to the hilt. He went down with a horrible cry, rolling in his blood in maddening pain. I put the dagger back in my boot, and took hold of the spade.

Jesus loving Christ :black101:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

EDIT: Wow, that is one goony looking French soldier.
The chick annoys me, she didn't do the first little thing about her hair and eyebrows and it makes me feel bad by association.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A WW1 reenactment without trenches is like a party without beer.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

JaucheCharly posted:

A WW1 reenactment without trenches is like a party without beer.

Not if it's a Summer 1914 or Russia/Austria-Hungary theater reenactment, right?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Davin Valkri posted:

Not if it's a Summer 1914 or Russia/Austria-Hungary theater reenactment, right?

Wasn't Austro-Hungary vs Russia just a bunch of dicking about in a forest?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK so say two Caribbean (or in general) pirate ships are in combat and there's a boarding action. Once there's a melee fight, how are the pirates able to distinguish who is on their side versus the other ship? I know little about pirates, but would they have worn some sort of uniform or distinguishing colors, etc?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kanine posted:

OK so say two Caribbean (or in general) pirate ships are in combat and there's a boarding action. Once there's a melee fight, how are the pirates able to distinguish who is on their side versus the other ship? I know little about pirates, but would they have worn some sort of uniform or distinguishing colors, etc?

Well, most of the time two pirates don't have a lot of incentive to board each other. :v:

That said, most navies of the time didn't really use much in the way of uniforms so the problem applies no matter who's involved. I can't say definitively, but from what I understand a ship is a pretty tight-knit community, as one would expect from cramming that many people into a relatively small space. When you live together, eat together, work together, sleep together, and fight together with approximately a village's worth of people, you grow to know and recognize pretty much all of them even if you don't necessarily know much about them. So what it'd come down to, essentially, is that if you don't recognize someone he's probably a bad guy.

It's also worth noting that a ship is a pretty small space to be fighting on, in any event, so often you end up with less individual duels everywhere and more of a front line of sailors pushing backwards and forwards, which again simplifies things.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Crossposting from the Roman history thread:

Tomn posted:

Well, judging by the Defenestration of Prague, at least SOME civilians were perfectly happy to get their hands dirty (even if it didn't turn out quite the way they planned).

Actually, now that the subject has been bought up, I'm kinda curious - HEY GAL, what WAS the popular perception of the 30 Years War by the civilians on the ground? Was there much in the way of popular support for the war, and what sort of folks tended to be more enthusiastic about it than others?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The German Sapper comes out of the line, and trips over some cavalrymen. The Friendly Feldwebel goes in, but possibly fortunately, his account is rather less detailed. Les Eparges is about to fall, but the French also need to re-evaluate their tactics because that's about all they've achieved.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You wouldn't happen to be able to point me to where I can read that German Sapper bit in German, would you?

Also :stare:

The account was originally written for the New Yorker Volkszeitung and was serialised there in 1917. (It's hard to find out if it was ever published in book form because the author remains entirely anonymous and I don't know what the German title would have been.)

Endman posted:

Wasn't Austro-Hungary vs Russia just a bunch of dicking about in a forest?

More like "a bunch of freezing to death up a mountain". The next priority after "write about July and August properly" is to write up the months of brutal, bitter fighting in the Carpathians that I've been completely ignoring for having too much else to do.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tomn posted:

IANHG but I know for a while the historiographical narrative of the late TYW phase was that the armies are basically fighting local insurgencies more than they are each other and the local peasants are, for their part, fighting whoever's in their turf regardless of what 'side' they're on because they've long since learned that soldiers are bad news regardless of what flags they're flying.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Keldoclock posted:

Regarding future military history, what have recent city defenses looked like? Where do you deploy troops in a city under threat, how do you supply the city, what do you do with all of the people in it?

This is kind of an interesting question. Basically, the answer is "the city is the defense": cities have a ton of inherent advantages for defenders. In the US at least we're assuming that a large portion of any future operation is going to take place in cities and that poo poo is going to be ug-ly.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

Squalid posted:

Well there's actually a lot to be said, but the question needs to be a little more specific, warfare varied a lot during the ancient era over time and around the world. Archaeology has a lot to say about sieges just because fortifications are rather enduring structures, so there's a lot of evidence. However the answer to the question will be very different if you focus on say, classical antiquity in the Mediterranean world, Iron Age Britain, or proto-Khmer rice farmers on the Khorat plateau.

On that subject I recently had the luck to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the most famous temple of the Khmer civilization, but I found the walls and defense of neighboring Angkor Thom, the ancient capital of the Khmers, more interesting than that better known temple's spires.

Here's one of the four huge gates, large enough for an elephant and rider to easily pass beneath. The wall is eight meters tall, and forms a square three by three kilometers wide. The city also has an absurd moat surrounding it on all sides, here's view of the causeway approaching the gate:

For reference, each of those little pyramid shapes along the top of the causeway is a man sized statue of a deva or assura, or gods and demons. There's 54 on either side, the scale is MASSIVE. The causeway is 100 meters long. Anybody besieging the city would struggle just to get a bow-shot off at a defender, let alone assault the walls, which are made of earth faced with sandstone. However despite their grandeur many aspects of the wall seem simple, even naive. They just aren't very defensible, there are no towers, not even above the gates. Their are no crenelations that I could see along the top. The causeway and its statues make for an awe inspiring approach, but there's no draw bridge, or anyway to close the approach. There is an impression that the defenses are designed as as much to awe as to defend the city.

Still defense must have been on the architect's mind. The Chams had sacked Angkor Thom only a few years before construction of the gates. In 1178 they sailed a fleet up the Mekong and surprised the Khmers. They had several relief depicting the invasion at one of the temples inside.

The men in flower shaped hats/helmets wielding spears are the Chams. Those guys swimming with the fishes? Dead Khmers. The Cham victory would be short lived however. Jayavarman VII, who would go on to rebuild much of the city including the gates, drove them off in 1181, and went on the conquer all of Champa. This relief is quite unusual. The vast majority of reliefs at Angkor Wat and on the surrounding temples is religious, and where the Khmer army does appear elsewhere, as at Angkor Wat, it is depicted as triumphant. Here though they memorialized what their greatest defeat, their Cannae, in all its horror, perhaps to emphasize their ultimate triumph. I'm struck by the umbrellas, is that really necessary on a military voyage? Or is there some defensive function? Not that I blame them for wanting a little sun protection, I came away with a nasty burn across my neck and nose.

Great bit of reading here. This place is now on my bucket list of places to check out!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Polikarpov posted:

However if Yamato had broken through, it would have faced 6 other battleships and Morton Deyo would have gone down in history as the last Admiral to form a battle-line in combat.

Who actually was this? Jellicoe & Scheer?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

Who actually was this? Jellicoe & Scheer?

Admiral Jesse Oldendorf at the Surigao Strait on Oct 25 1944, with the battleships West Virginia, Maryland, Mississippi, Tennessee, California, and Pennsylvania

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

More people are literate in Western Europe than ever before, so there are definitely people who follow politics (the first newspapers date from around this time) and have opinions about what should be done with the Bohemian Diet / etc. I don't know about any other countries because I haven't read about them yet, but I do know that heads of state in Spain and England had to think about public opinion, if only in the big cities.

One abbess knew enough about warfare to critique battles.

But an appreciation of the Glorious Success In Arms of insert cause here does not translate into friendly feeling for the people who did it, though. Soldiers are a scourge. Most of the time this is completely understandable, sometimes it's hypocrisy--cities hate being forced to contribute money to their own defense, for instance, then get extremely shocked that their defenders are hungry and dissatisfied.

One interesting thing about this war in particular is that a lot of the civilians who left written records believe they're in the middle of something really important. A lot of the time they wrote because they decided to keep a historical record.

Edit: These people are all relatively educated city or town dwellers. Peasants don't appear to have any political opinions, unless not wanting to get robbed/their poo poo set on fire is a political opinion.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 8, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Admiral Jesse Oldendorf at the Surigao Strait on Oct 25 1944, with the battleships West Virginia, Maryland, Mississippi, Tennessee, California, and Pennsylvania

World War Clue.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

bewbies posted:

This is kind of an interesting question. Basically, the answer is "the city is the defense": cities have a ton of inherent advantages for defenders. In the US at least we're assuming that a large portion of any future operation is going to take place in cities and that poo poo is going to be ug-ly.

I was quite fascinated with Wikipedia's account of the New York/ New Jersey campaign of the American Revolutionary War. Even 300 years apart, with the city almost unrecognizable, the fact that people fought over the future of a nation in the same places I had lived, was just striking and increased the confidence of some of my guesses; especially that, even in the late 1700s it was impossible to defend New York City without at least naval parity.

Let's get away from the United States for the moment though; it's difficult to discuss, unless someone has documents of say, plans to defend San Francisco or similar from invasion (and surely they were drawn up).

Are there any excellent (English or Russian preferred) resources on the Siege of Sarajevo? Or perhaps the period of twenty years before and after Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah? Surely with the ongoing military operations therein someone has translated some of Saddam Hussein's plans and assessments for defense into English.

Another question for the professional historians in this thread, how long are things like said plans and assessments (both ones made by the spied upon and the spying party) usually kept secret for? Ten years? Thirty? Forever? How often are these documents lost, what happens to the regular reports (AARs etc ) that soldiers and officers write during operations? Are they usually destroyed immediately, kept in a bureaucratic organization (when is it military and when is it civic?) for a time and then destroyed, or kept and then released?

I know we have access to documents like that from WWII, but I have had a very hard time finding them in any language I can read with regards to stuff that happened in the last thirty years. There's plenty of memoirs but I would prefer the original reports, emails, powerpoints, recordings of radio communications (encrypted or clear), dossiers that were given to people with some kind of task to do in such military actions, or accounts that those people gave after. There's plenty of "human story" information but I am more interested in the way modern military forces turn individual experiences into doctrine.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Going by The Fluff's stories, something is classified until someone asks for it to be declassified and gets the request approved. But I guess the rule of thumb is "until it stops being relevant/embarrassing for the government", which I would wager is significantly over thirty years.

There is also accessibility in archives to consider. A lot of stuff is kept on hand in whatever organization created it for a long time before being handed of to the archive, which will have to file and register it. That takes time and manpower, and you have three guesses what most archives are chronically short on. When I interned at my university's archive, one of my tasks was to file the student records of people who finished their degrees before my parents got theirs.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm skipping ahead about 400 pages so if this has been asked and covered my apologies.

What do we know about Minoan Warfare? I remember hearing about a theory that the story of Theseus and the Minotaur was a mythological accounting of Crete's dominance of the Aegean and mainland Greece. Surely they couldn't have done that without some kind of effective military?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fun fact: the British government is still sitting on some documents to do with the Lusitania, particularly regarding the end of her final voyage and what she may or may not have been carrying in her hold.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If the truth becomes known then the British will have to pay reparations for both World War 1 and World War 2.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Fun fact: the British government is still sitting on some documents to do with the Lusitania, particularly regarding the end of her final voyage and what she may or may not have been carrying in her hold.
I think Austria only released documents dealing with Wallenstein's death some time in the mid-1800s because after tempers had cooled it turns out calling out a hit on your commander-in-chief when you can't actually prove he's a traitor (he probably wasn't) is actually hugely embarrassing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

If the truth becomes known then the British will have to pay reparations for both World War 1 and World War 2.

Turns out Belgium and Poland invited the Germans in.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Phobophilia posted:

Albion perfide! :argh: :france:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

When did slings fall out of common use in warfare?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Keldoclock posted:

Another question for the professional historians in this thread, how long are things like said plans and assessments (both ones made by the spied upon and the spying party) usually kept secret for? Ten years? Thirty? Forever? How often are these documents lost, what happens to the regular reports (AARs etc ) that soldiers and officers write during operations? Are they usually destroyed immediately, kept in a bureaucratic organization (when is it military and when is it civic?) for a time and then destroyed, or kept and then released?

I know we have access to documents like that from WWII, but I have had a very hard time finding them in any language I can read with regards to stuff that happened in the last thirty years. There's plenty of memoirs but I would prefer the original reports, emails, powerpoints, recordings of radio communications (encrypted or clear), dossiers that were given to people with some kind of task to do in such military actions, or accounts that those people gave after. There's plenty of "human story" information but I am more interested in the way modern military forces turn individual experiences into doctrine.

The short answer is It Depends (tm). Here's how it works in Russia.

There are various levels of secrecy, more or less the same as in the West. The level of secrecy is retained permanently since nobody has the time to got through every conscript's personal file and make sure it has no damning state secrets in it. When you make a request for a certain document, a commission is gathered to determine if the document still contains sensitive information (past a certain date, I can't remember which, the request is granted automatically). The table of contents for any folder acts the same way.

Now there is an exception, and this is the Special Folder. This is some seriously secret poo poo that is so secret, you're not allowed to even know about it. Only a handful of special folders are known to exist, associated with prominent Soviet leaders. Every so often a commission meets to determine whether or not the existence of these folders and their contents should be revealed to the world. To nobody's surprise, they don't tend to vote "yes".

There are also various government/government funded initiatives to post scans of award orders, death records, and various other documents, but despite all the "new! just unclassified!" buzz around them, it's all information that someone could just go down to an archive and ask for. These are all for WWII and prior though, post-war information is largely still classified.

Americans have similar initiatives that have more post-war stuff, like DTIC, GAO, and the CIA FOIA reading room. You could probably send a FOIA request and get something back, even if it's covered in black bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Taerkar posted:

When did slings fall out of common use in warfare?

Depends. (TM)

Time, place, context etc. The most recent use I can think of is molotov's launched by sling, though I can't remember from where. Syria? Balkan conflict? Something like that.

e: Wiki says Finns in the Winter War, that might be what I'm thinking up.

• Locked thread