Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The playerbase is so drat toxic. Most of the fun missions are group only and it's way too easy to get in a bad group or a group with leet min-maxers who are admitted by your playstyle.

It's fun as all get out though. I was one of the active ones in Goonlimited awhile back but it winds up being nearly worthless to team with players who are a lower CR than you. Not to mention, I was hoping they'd have a blue light or other new power since rage (I logged on last weekend for a bit to see the changes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mastajake posted:

The playerbase is so drat toxic.

This is the main problem with the game. Not even so much the tier grinding to 'catch up', that's bad enough but you have to actually play with random shitheads to do it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I had found a cool villain league to play with that was chill and really good about helping people gear up. They were called the Mad Villains. Not sure if my toons are still in it, but I could look into getting you guys in if you want more people to play with. They were good people.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mastajake posted:

The playerbase is so drat toxic. Most of the fun missions are group only and it's way too easy to get in a bad group or a group with leet min-maxers who are admitted by your playstyle.

It's fun as all get out though. I was one of the active ones in Goonlimited awhile back but it winds up being nearly worthless to team with players who are a lower CR than you. Not to mention, I was hoping they'd have a blue light or other new power since rage (I logged on last weekend for a bit to see the changes).

Munitions is being released today, I believe. I've only seen it for a few minutes pre-release but the devs said they are going for a 80s-90s over-the-top action movie aesthetics for it. I have unused PS4 Smedbucks so I'll probably pick it up to fool around with. it's a Controller spec.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Meh. Worth a shot, thanks. I'll be on villainside as Fembot 5000 for awhile to check out munitions and the travel variant.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jabro posted:

Munitions is being released today, I believe.

Don't tempt me to reinstall this game.

Still pissed off at what they did to 'controllers' right at the end of the beta.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mastajake posted:

Meh. Worth a shot, thanks. I'll be on villainside as Fembot 5000 for awhile to check out munitions and the travel variant.

Wait, there's a new travel variant?!?!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

New to me: Skimming.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

New to me: Skimming.

Jesus, only took them 4 years to add a fourth travel power?

Nevermind, it's literally Flight with different animations :fuckoff:

Oh wow the 'flying' combat animations are incredibly lazy, they just reused non-travel ground animations :riker:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 8, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Well hey now. TOTALLY NOT SILVER SURFER travel power is fun.........yeah, I miss my super speed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mastajake posted:

Well hey now. TOTALLY NOT SILVER SURFER travel power is fun.........yeah, I miss my super speed.

Yeah, what a ripoff. Super Speed is still the most fun, by far.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Munitions is apparently a bunch of random machine guns and rocket launchers, and it's damage buff makes a glowing red bandanna appear on your head. :downsgun:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Whenever I tried anything that wasn't flight I had less fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Whenever I tried anything that wasn't flight I had less fun.

In the little I played, the fact Acrobatics also made you loving spiderman was amazingly cool. But I know from a practicality standpoint flight is always better when there is so much overworld travel with so many trash mobs at ground level. The only way for flight not to be "The best" travel power is if it's not a bitch to use the other travel powers for the nth hour across an MMO landscape.

Super leap was still my favorite thing in City of heroes, but that was "leap city blocks in a single bound with perfect air control" and most of the content was instance based anyways, and could hold down the jump button. It was also much faster than Flight cap. Super speed gave you a large degree PvE stealth, and there was an easy to get enhancement you could slot into it that gave you perfect PvE stealth except for things that specifically ignored it (I also liked to use Comabt Jump+Super speed, let me run up shallow walls like the flash). So again you had a useful, not ballbusting alretnative to flight. Cheap and plentiful jetpacks with 30 minutes worth of on time were also available to the masses.

Champion's super leaping was a good way to get yourself killed by fall damage when a ranged attack plinks you and at the apex of your jump, downgrading your travel buff to minimum, therefore downgrading your fall distance protection. Plus you had to push the button for every single jump. Teleport was cool but having to push the teleport button once every 5 seconds forever was :suicide: See also, swinging.

DCUO Acrobatics is incredibly cool, and I would adore it in a straight up Super Hero game. But this is an MMO so it's comparative convenience/efficiency to flight is :effort:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Saints Row IV had the best implementation of super jumping IMO. The way you had to 'charge up' leaps let you both fine-tune how you got around and FELT really super.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Section Z posted:

DCUO Acrobatics is incredibly cool, and I would adore it in a straight up Super Hero game. But this is an MMO so it's comparative convenience/efficiency to flight is :effort:

Just get the Jet Pack travel ability and you can zoom over the city just like the flyers/skimmers. And the grappling hook can zoom you forward pretty quickly too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
started playing this and I'm already thinking of shelling out for a sub to make some loving Lanterns

locking all that behind DLC was genius

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did it, I bit the bullet

is making a blatant batfamily style character bad taste cause I kind of want to do that if I can ever think of a name

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I did it, I bit the bullet

is making a blatant batfamily style character bad taste cause I kind of want to do that if I can ever think of a name

I made an Australian knockoff, Wombat Man.

It even fits because he throws boomerangs :haw:

e: Oh, nwm, I thought this was the Champions thread. You can probably do it in DCUO too though.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I remember I played this game on PS3 and dug it up today. Turns out I bought the Light power pack back in the day :toot:

Anyone got some words on Rage/Cele/Mut/Quan, they all play about the same?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqeMPdFnnCc
http://tyger-wdr.tumblr.com/post/115966855118/how-i-got-banned-from-dcuo-the-mepps-incident
so...yeah, I don't think I'm going to keep this game around, even for casual play every once in a while.

nehezir fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That Mepps guy sounds like a real jerk but this guy also sounds like a huge loving weenie.

Every single person in that story on both sides sounds like an idiot, that owns

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jesus Christ who cares

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

That Mepps guy sounds like a real jerk but this guy also sounds like a huge loving weenie.

Every single person in that story on both sides sounds like an idiot, that owns

I dunno. it seems pretty simple to me. if you customer says he doesn't like you coming in and spawning mobs to disrupt his livestream show, you just stop and apologize for the interruption. it's a matter of imposing services no one asked for. this sort of thing is fine when you do it to large groups of people in the WT, I've participated in it. but having a group of mobs designed for 8 players spawned on top of me while I have other objectives to accomplish is largely disruptive and I wouldn't stand for it either. also, banning forum users for criticizing the direction you take your gameplay is literally a case of suppressing dissent, which I can't say I approve of.

seems like a clear case of mepps is a dickbag. what's the issue with vocalizing an injustice? it's highly unprofessional for a community manager to get swept up in such a personal grudge.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Jesus Christ who cares
I care because I don't enjoy supporting a company that behaves in this way. as for why I'm posting about it here, I was going to get some small degree of the word out then talk about it for a few hours and step aside so the topic doesn't linger too long.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I personally find "Banned for insulting (yourself)" the best part for some reason :downs:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

it does come off as pretty desperate to find a reason.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This game is owned by a giant Russian criminal organization that uses armed mercenaries and bribery to take over rival businesses and seize oil fields.

EDIT: What I am saying is that compared to that, who cares about Twitch nerd slapfights.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 16, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

drat, that corporate culture would explain why the player culture is so toxic.

That dude handled things pretty well, but good loving luck getting Mepps or anyone at corporate to back down.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I honestly don't know what to pin the playerbase's attitude on, honestly.

well, other than that the majority of them cannot complete content via random pugging unless they outgear it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

WarLocke posted:

drat, that corporate culture would explain why the player culture is so toxic.

That dude handled things pretty well, but good loving luck getting Mepps or anyone at corporate to back down.

He's going to be murdered in the night by a powerful Russian agent, so who cares.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
So a dev decided to mess with a streamer personally because it would be funny, the streamer had a giant crybaby bitchfit, and has spent a year crying about it. Then they got permabanned for being lovely. Am I getting that right?

Because I think that owns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

So a dev decided to mess with a streamer personally because it would be funny, the streamer had a giant crybaby bitchfit, and has spent a year crying about it. Then they got permabanned for being lovely. Am I getting that right?

Yeah, when compared to CCP, that's nothing. Didn't some pub guild spend millions of ISK on a Titan and then it was destroyed because of server lag and bullshit, and when people complained about it right up to one of the EVEfests, the devs' literal response was, "too bad, get hosed."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

NeurosisHead posted:

No, you don't have it right.

Dev messed with stream because he thought streamer would jump on his dick like other streamers he's done it to, apparently took personal offence when streamer asked him to stop and apologize for breaking SOE's own TOS. Streamer contacts SOE over dev's behavior, eventually gives up because he just gets the runaround. Year later, said dev finds completely bullshit excuse to permaban streamer over a completely separate thing (permaban for calling YOURSELF a "stupid casual"?).

The dev is the one who threw a crybaby bitchfest because the streamer didn't faun all over him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're both right.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, when compared to CCP, that's nothing. Didn't some pub guild spend millions of ISK on a Titan and then it was destroyed because of server lag and bullshit, and when people complained about it right up to one of the EVEfests, the devs' literal response was, "too bad, get hosed."
EVE literally strives on that sort of culture, DCUO doesn't.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is this game still alive?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just started playing again but doesn't seem like they've added much in the year and a half since I've been gone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

I just started playing again but doesn't seem like they've added much in the year and a half since I've been gone.

SOE shut down and turned into Daybreak. It's delayed a lot of devside poo poo in all their IPs, though apparently Planetside 2 is starting to get back on the train.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

has anyone partied with an earth tank recently? I wanna know if they've ruined my class yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you played Earth Tank you had no class to begin with

• Locked thread