Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I hate going to the store because it's always crowded (London and San Francisco). Also makes the device feel less ~special~. I just stick to home deliveries nowadays. I shouldn't go out of my way to get a gadget in (or on) my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Karki posted:

Are they just facing reality that an uncrowded retail store may be better than the online experience, but they don't have uncrowded stores?

In addition to the already-mentioned fact that they've dramatically increased the number of product variations since the Apple retail concept took off, I think the crowding is definitely a thing.

When I went in to buy my iPad a couple months ago, I had to wait about 20-25 minutes for a salesperson to get to me. That's totally understandable, the Apple Store is perpetually slammed, let alone on a Saturday afternoon like when I came. I would've just ordered online for store pickup, except my company gets a discount and I have to actually show my business card to someone in a blue shirt.

Thing is, the door greeter will get you checked in and ask you to wait for them to get to you, but there's not really anywhere "good" to stand around and chill in an Apple Store while you wait. You're either in the way of employees running to and from the back of house, or you're standing within a mob of other customers and preteens taking selfies on the demo models. It's just not the "premium retail experience" that they originally pushed so hard with the store concept.

I wish I could either make an appointment to buy something, or if the wait will be longer than 5 minutes or so, send me a text message callback so that I can just go to Starbucks or something and come back to the store when they're ready for me. Either way seems more customer-centric.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder why they bothered with the black/black Sport. That seems like a lot of SKU complication for not much gain. They even have to have separate black/black bands and black/silver bands.

Sretsah
Oct 3, 2013

by Ralp

Karki posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/angela-ahrendts-says-a-significant-change-in-mindset-to-launching-apple-watch-online-2015-4

I'm really surprised Apple would tell customers to leave and use the online store instead. They've been saying the retail store is the best experience for buying their products for years, even when it's had hours long waits on product launches. They've offered pre-orders, but only when they were essentially forced after insane lines for the 3G and 3GS. They clearly wanted everyone possible to use the store.

Are they just facing reality that an uncrowded retail store may be better than the online experience, but they don't have uncrowded stores?

I think this is bang on. They realize the store experience has become a mess for many people and this is a way to get those who don't need to be in the store, out of it. With all the day one purchasers not lining up and no walk in sales the store will be reserved for those who are still on the fence or just want to see it's functionality in person.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zen death robot posted:

If you just want a new iPad fast you can just go pop into a place like Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Target where you won't be dragged down by people getting good customer service from the people at the actual Apple Store.

The waiting is not the problem, it's that the inside of an Apple Store is a suboptimal place to wait. And I don't get a 10% discount on an iPad at a big box store, or if I buy it from Apple online or over the phone.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The best place to hang out and wait at the Apple Store is at the table with the old people learning how to use MacBooks. Just stand there and act very very interested, ask lots of questions.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
What is this one per costumer bull crap?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gohmak posted:

Apple limiting purchase quantities at launch of a supply-constrained product? Why I never

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just hate going to the mall or other hard to park crowded places Apple stores are typically located. My mall is completely hosed all the time. It seems like they have plenty of parking but I have to fight like it's Black Friday for spots in the boonies. I don't mind walking but it takes probably 15-20 minutes to get to the store then about the same back. Including time finding a spot, going to and from the store, doing what I need to do in the store, I'm pushing 2 hours wasted.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple limiting purchase quantities at launch of a supply-constrained product? Why I never

It has always been limited to two. Now I won't be able to surprise my wife if I have to preorder with her account.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gohmak posted:

Is that for online orders or in-store purchases?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gohmak posted:

It has always been limited to two. Now I won't be able to surprise my wife if I have to preorder with her account.

Surprise her with an Apple Watch and then get yours later? :shrug:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Does anyone know if you can preorder online for in store pick up? I have had some bad luck with couriers.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that for online orders or in-store purchases?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/07/apple-watch-reservations-one-per-customer/

Both

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

smoobles posted:

Surprise her with an Apple Watch and then get yours later? :shrug:

You're joking right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

If you're ordering online for home delivery that limit doesn't apply (according to that page). That's what I'm doing so it should be ok.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

gohmak posted:

You're joking right?

I love my wife... But not that much! :laugh:

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I am glad that they are limiting everyone to one per purchase. Should help decrease re-sellers which were a big problem in the past.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gohmak posted:

You're joking right?

I don't think Apple will change their policy because of your something awful post, so yes, I was giving a serious idea to help you out.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

gohmak posted:

Well that just doubled or tripled the "buy day of release with cash" line that'll be outside my Apple Store, many of whom will have a hard time with English.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gohmak posted:

You're joking right?

:lol:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Axim posted:

I am glad that they are limiting everyone to one per purchase. Should help decrease re-sellers which were a big problem in the past.
On the other hand look at the moral conundrum gohmak is going through cause of it.

Or perhaps this is a situation of "I want this but my wife doesn't approve, but if I surprise her with one too maybe it'll be cool" :iiam:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Haggins posted:

I just hate going to the mall or other hard to park crowded places Apple stores are typically located. My mall is completely hosed all the time. It seems like they have plenty of parking but I have to fight like it's Black Friday for spots in the boonies. I don't mind walking but it takes probably 15-20 minutes to get to the store then about the same back. Including time finding a spot, going to and from the store, doing what I need to do in the store, I'm pushing 2 hours wasted.

I was in Portland on easter weekend and the city block-long Apple Store still was packed with people when everyone should've been home with their families talking about Jesus's sacrifice and stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Axim posted:

No it won't. They just bring their families and pay with cash/gift cards.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

No it won't. They just bring their families and pay with cash/gift cards.

I think it's still safe to say though that these limiting measures will help with supply a LITTLE bit by default.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Review embargo has clearly been lifted.

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/technology/personaltech/apple-watch-bliss-but-only-after-a-steep-learning-curve.html
https://recode.net/2015/04/08/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-apple-watch-review/
http://www.wsj.com/video/apple-watch-what-living-with-it-is-really-like/13DDE53D-4DF3-4EDD-A519-4B2E3CA4F11B.html

I'd summarize them as, "positive, but still a 1.0 Apple product."

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 8, 2015

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Are you guys seriously complaining about the experience at Apple Stores? How spoiled are you? I bought my MacBook Pro at the 5th avenue 24h store in NYC three years ago amidst a tidal wave of people running around. The CSR who helped me with the order was pleasant and informative and there's no way on earth my experience would have been better if I ordered it online.

Apple Stores are consistently the best retail experiences I've ever had, even when I pop into one just to dick around and charge my phone. If you're just afraid/nervous of being around other literal human beings then I don't know what to tell you, guy.

As a disclaimer, there's an Apple Store at a mall in Long Island that is definitely less optimal than going to a store in the city. Maybe my perception is skewed because I have a plethora of choices of Apple Store so any particular one I choose isn't as mobbed as, say, a location in a Midwest city or something where there isn't another store for miles and miles.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The stores at Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman are basically war zones.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Wait for gen 2 or if you really want one get the cheapest one.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

So many words trying to justify this thing. Yikes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I can't pinpoint it but there's always something about the Verge's video reviews that enrage me. Maybe it's smugness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So many words trying to justify this thing. Yikes.

Yeah I know right? I like my reviews as short as possible.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zen death robot posted:

Seems reasonable to me, it's what I'd do if my wife wanted one (she doesn't).

Oh that's why she's only getting the sport :colbert:

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 8, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I know right? I like my reviews as short as possible.

I just scroll to the bottom of every review and read the single number. If it's an 8 or higher, I buy immediately, no matter what it is.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Joanna Stern is the best. Watch that video!

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

gret posted:

Joanna Stern is the best. Watch that video!

Yeah she did a really nice job with that. I still kinda want one, but meh... feel ok waiting for the next version.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The lag is unacceptable but I've got a lot faith this will be worked out.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Secht posted:

Yeah she did a really nice job with that. I still kinda want one, but meh... feel ok waiting for the next version.

Yea that's where I am at now. Interested but holding out for gen 2.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rocco posted:

I think it's still safe to say though that these limiting measures will help with supply a LITTLE bit by default.

Unless you're actually trying to get one that day without a pre-order. Then your line is now 2-3x longer and the family members who never really learned to speak English are ahead of you and can't cope with the one specific model they were told to ask to buy not being available and taking forever.

At least, that's what I've seen doing day-of lines in Center City Philadelphia and Christiana Mall in Delaware (home of tax-free shopping and so is the Apple Store that sells the most phones). If you're hitting the Apple Store in Iowa or well out in the suburbs your experience may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noZAqbn92gM

The Fashion editors comments were basically "eww nerd stuff."

For you lefties, do you plan to have the crown facing your hand or elbow? He kept switching in the video.

• Locked thread