Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ika posted:

All I heard about the entire thing before was a comment somewhere saying that books should be nominated base on the quality of the book, and not just because the author fulfills some criteria. Sendng pictures of guns to people seems like there was quite a bit of information missing.

Personally I would prefer the award going to a lesser known author, I think jim butcher has sold enough books to not need the extra attention. (To paraphrase what pterry said about never winning one)

Hmm, I think jim got voted for "Best Novel". I mean I certainly agree that Skin Games should be up there for Best Novel since I think its the best novel in the dresden files (With changes being 2nd best). Is there a Huge "Best new writer" award?

Anias posted:

The Hugo no longer reflects a majority of the SFF readership, which has grown beyond the worldcon demographic. It should move to a non-convention ballot, establish a different funding source, and a better nomination path. Without those changes it's going to continue to be manipulated. That the particular people manipulating it this year are shitbags isn't nearly as important as the scope and vulnerability to vote attack issues which will be abused going forward.

Hold up only people who go to a convention can vote on the Hugos? Hah, wow! Yeah SFF has certainly grown beyond a single convention. That would be like having GENCON decide the RPG of the year or something.

Exmond fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Exmond posted:

Hmm, I think jim got voted for "Best Novel". I mean I certainly agree that Skin Games should be up there for Best Novel since I think its the best novel in the dresden files (With changes being 2nd best). Is there a Huge "Best new writer" award?
eh, Skin Game doesn't stand that well compared to a lot of other stuff that got released last year. Like in the sense that Pachino didn't deserve the Oscar for Scent of a Woman, but for his whole body of work and Scent was just a convenient way to award him there, maybe give it to Butcher. He's probably the biggest urban fantasy writer to pull the sub-genre out past its "glorified sex book" roots, and he has defiantly influenced a bunch of other writers in the genre. But last year saw a ton of good books out that got pushed off the ballot by this, which is a lesser reason people are pissed.

quote:

Hold up only people who go to a convention can vote on the Hugos? Hah, wow! Yeah SFF has certainly grown beyond a single convention. That would be like having GENCON decide the RPG of the year or something.
you don't have to be in attendance, you just buy a membership and then get to vote. That's how the attack works, in the past they bought voting memberships for a bunch of people (it's like $40). This time I think they got the gamergaters to pony up on their own, but the result use same.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

you don't have to be in attendance, you just buy a membership and then get to vote. That's how the attack works, in the past they bought voting memberships for a bunch of people (it's like $40). This time I think they got the gamergaters to pony up on their own, but the result use same.

This never happened and is part of the hashtag conspiracy theories that both sides of stupid thing think of each other. Most of GG had no idea what the gently caress the Hugo's were and were trolling people like crazy when they thought they were somehow involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

This never happened and is part of the hashtag conspiracy theories that both sides of stupid thing think of each other. Most of GG had no idea what the gently caress the Hugo's were and were trolling people like crazy when they thought they were somehow involved.

Before anyone bites this bait, this poster has done the exact same thing in other threads. Popped in despite never posting in it before to talk about a terrifying conspiracy involving SJWs. They are not posting in good faith.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Before anyone bites this bait, this poster has done the exact same thing in other threads. Popped in despite never posting in it before to talk about a terrifying conspiracy involving SJWs. They are not posting in good faith.

I've done in this two threads I'm semi active in you loving weirdo and it was to make fun of you for treating Twitter drama like a personal assault on you.

GamerGate was behind an organization that had done this for over two years, had never mentioned the Hugo or sci fi/fantasy books before, and paid for thousand of dollars to do it.

I came to this thread to loving ask about whether Skin Changer was any good, since I dropped out around the time all the Red Vampires went blamo. Instead I find unironic GamerGate discussion for no reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

GG is way larger than the Hugos (since videogames are way larger than genre SFF lit), so 'the puppy campaigns got some help from GG types this year' and 'most people involved in GG have no idea what the Hugos even are, and of the remainder most don't care' don't actually contradict.

It's still just a theory as to why there's so many more nomination votes this year than last, in any case. Insufficient evidence.

Exmond posted:

Well, that's what the award is for. It's the award for the best thing in [category] in the view of attendees and supporters of WorldCon. It has the most prestige of the SFF awards (even though it was a bit of a mess well before this started up) but it's not really obligated to radically change its identity because people have chosen to give it such prestige, and it'll lose it if it can't resolve this problem effectively.

It's not like there aren't plenty of other general awards. SFF is rife with the things.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

I came to this thread to loving ask about whether Skin Changer was any good, since I dropped out around the time all the Red Vampires went blamo. Instead I find unironic GamerGate discussion for no reason.
really? when did you ask that? perhaps it was in the charmingly named "i hate women in a major way" thread? next you'll be telling us how GG is about ethics or somesuch.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

It seems to be doing a pretty good job of retiring itself. I honestly doubt anyone is going to take it seriously after all the controversy this year.

Never mind that, any prize that includes Kevin J. Anderson in the nominees is worthless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Never mind that, any prize that includes Kevin J. Anderson in the nominees is worthless.

This is the biggest truth of them all.

MasterFugu posted:

really? when did you ask that? perhaps it was in the charmingly named "i hate women in a major way" thread? next you'll be telling us how GG is about ethics or somesuch.

Seriously. Just ignore it. He did the exact same poo poo before. You're not going to actually get anything out of it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 8, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...Skin Game was pretty good, yeah.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

MasterFugu posted:

EDIT: Wait, the thread they moved to e/n because it was about the Rolling Stone thing and the D&D mods got angry about this one case being wrong? Ah yes, like most posters here I am sexist because I laughed at the biggest news gently caress up this decade and said the person behind it should be fired.

You can also see my racist posts in the Ferguson thread where I made fun of people for posting weird conservative conspiracy theories and then saying the cops covered their murder. Caught again.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 8, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

docbeard posted:

...Skin Game was pretty good, yeah.

Yeah, I messed that up, but I came here and saw people talking about Sad Puppies/GamerGate I got mad. That is what the HellThread is supposedly for and why I didn't bother posting in the bigger Sci-Fi/Fantasy thread where this conversation is actually relevant.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ika posted:

Personally I would prefer the award going to a lesser known author, I think jim butcher has sold enough books to not need the extra attention. (To paraphrase what pterry said about never winning one)

According to Stross's blog Pterry bowed out of accepting Hugo nominations after his first one because he had Angina and found the waiting for the announcment at the ceremony so stressful he couldn't face going through it again.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/04/the-biggest-little-sf-publishe.html post 228.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Grandia 1 had a quirky magic system, huh? :haw:

1 and 2 :haw:

So, now I've read up on all Dresden books again and took up the thread-suggestions of Daniel Faust and Felix Castor for some variation. Also I learned Amazon.com is kind of passive-aggressive if you're living in the wrong country. Even my trick of giving a US-residency stopped working and I had to search for another shop to buy the ebook-versions. But well, less money for Amazon then.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Deptfordx posted:

According to Stross's blog Pterry bowed out of accepting Hugo nominations after his first one because he had Angina and found the waiting for the announcment at the ceremony so stressful he couldn't face going through it again.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/04/the-biggest-little-sf-publishe.html post 228.

I didn't know that. I just read what Stross had written earlier, and interpreted it that way.

quote:

Terry had not won a Hugo. He didn't need to. (As he said, "I was in the audience at some literary awards ceremony or other with J. K. Rowling one time, and she was lamenting how they'd never give her one, so I turned to her and I said, Jo, me neither: we'll just have to cry ourselves to sleep on top of our mattresses stuffed with £20 notes."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't heard about this Hugo Awards business; I looked up some of the people involved and, well... All I can say is, I hope Vox Day and John C. Wright are good authors, because they sure don't seem like good people.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hadn't heard about this Hugo Awards business; I looked up some of the people involved and, well... All I can say is, I hope Vox Day and John C. Wright are good authors, because they sure don't seem like good people.

I read up on Vox Day and he was deplorable.

Then I googled John C. Wright and...

With that many fedoras in the preview images I don't think I need to read on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How do you feel about Terry Pratchett?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dienes posted:

John C. Wright experiences literal visions. He's either literally delusional OR the Virgin Mary has spoken to him in person.

http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/09/a-question-i-never-tire-of-answering/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

darth cookie posted:

SIR Terry Pratchett gets a pass because he is a goddamn knight.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dienes posted:

He wrote this astoundingly dumb piece.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dienes posted:

SIR Terry Pratchett gets a pass because he is a goddamn knight.

Aristocracy are eccentric, eh? :v:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 9, 2015

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

darth cookie posted:

That's a bowler hat, not a fedora.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's a bowler hat, not a fedora.

Arguing about whether a hat is technically a fedora only increases its fedora score.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

...are bowler hats the british fedora? (I don't think so.)

In actual Dresden-related news, it sounds like that potential YA series featuring Maggie Dresden at school might be a real thing that's happening now, according to the AMA on Jim's Euro-tour. There was also mention of a second spin off but not what it was.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He also lost his poo poo over two women holding hands in a children's cartoon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dienes posted:

What an utter shitstain of a human being.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dienes posted:

That rant is so dumb on every level. The whole show from the original series was about tolerance and accepting other people for who they are.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dienes posted:

I like how he's upset about liberalism in a show which began with a pacifist vegetarian monk whose ultimate victory was finding non-lethal ways to stop his enemies and whose sequel features a cast comprised almost entirely of women whose overall story involves finding tolerance instead of punching your problems.

But no, it's the gay that means they 'sold out.'

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Avatar also had important characters who were blind or in a wheelchair and, oh yeah, no white people. It's an insanely (awesomely) liberal series.

lol at calling a bowler hat a fedora. Are all hats fedoras now? Seems like an overreaction to one lovely, pathetic group of people thinking fedoras will make them as sexually attractive as Indiana Jones.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Terry Pratchet wore a bowler in a photo which is just like a fedora because anyway you have to hate him and everything he ever wrote now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wittgen posted:

Avatar also had important characters who were blind or in a wheelchair and, oh yeah, no white people. It's an insanely (awesomely) liberal series.

People got in a tizzy about The Legend of Aang as well, but it was because they thought it was promoting heathen Eastern spirituality and philosophy and was thus anti-Christian.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I finished "Broken Homes" earlier this week. Wow.

I read ahead so I knew Leslie's betrayal was comming. What I didn't see coming was the turning point. It's where she asks Peter if he's sleeping with Beverly. This of course is after Peter found her in bed with Zach. She didn't ask why he isn't sleeping with Beverly, she asked him why he isn't sleeping with her, why they aren't a couple. Peter is one of the few persons out there who's used to the fact that the lower part of her face literally fell off and cares about her despite that. She loves him. And the fact that they're essentially "playing house" by working undercover at Skygarden made those desires even stronger. Peter, unfortunetly, refuses to notice. It's nothing particuarly fustrating since it's in his character--he has a lot of unresolved guilt towards her because he did't realize that "Punch" posessed her until it was too late. He still feels directly responsible for her face falling off and because of that, he cannot in good conscience reciprocate her feelings or her obvious needs for love and intimacy. Just...wow. I have a bad feeling that Peter is going to end up killing Lesley in the end--all that heartbreak will fester to the point of outright hatred, I know it :smith:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2015

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
John C. Wright wrote a trilogy of novels set in the far future with a main character that believes literal Victorian morality is the pinnacle of human achievement, also all post scarcity societies will be inevitably anarcho-capitalist. He also wrote a "young adult" series featuring the joys of BDSM.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mayor Dave posted:

He also wrote a "young adult" series featuring the joys of BDSM.

I'm pretty sure the Orphans of chaos trilogy wasn't YA, but yeah, if you didn't know what human garbage Wright is, I'd say the books were actually pretty entertaining on the whole, but there's some "Butcher, but even less self-aware/more sexist" levels of Ugh in there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Benny the Snake posted:

I finished "Broken Homes" earlier this week. Wow.

I read ahead so I knew Leslie's betrayal was comming. What I didn't see coming was the turning point. It's where she asks Peter if he's sleeping with Beverly. This of course is after Peter found her in bed with Zach. She didn't ask why he isn't sleeping with Beverly, she asked him why he isn't sleeping with her, why they aren't a couple. Peter is one of the few persons out there who's used to the fact that the lower part of her face literally fell off and cares about her despite that. She loves him. And the fact that they're essentially "playing house" by working undercover at Skygarden made those desires even stronger. Peter, unfortunetly, refuses to notice. It's nothing particuarly fustrating since it's in his character--he has a lot of unresolved guilt towards her because he did't realize that "Punch" posessed her until it was too late. He still feels directly responsible for her face falling off and because of that, he cannot in good conscience reciprocate her feelings or her obvious needs for love and intimacy. Just...wow. I have a bad feeling that Peter is going to end up killing Lesley in the end--all that heartbreak will fester to the point of outright hatred, I know it :smith:

I started to have a tirade about how stupid it is to have Leslie interested in Peter like that, but she did try to get him to have sex with her while she was drunk that one time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On the topic of bad authors i'd like to introduce anyone who hasn't had a chance to read it to this Gem:

quote:

"He knew that at heart, he was a rapist. And that meant he hated rapists more than any "normal" human being. They purely pissed him off. He'd spent his entire sexually adult life fighting the urge to not use his inconsiderable strength to possess and take instead of woo and cajole."

-Ladies and gentlman, our Hero"

Oh John Ringo No

I actually got a friend to read the series if I agreed to read twilight, she ended up unironicly loving it.

In more sane terms i'm finally getting into the Malzan Books of the Fallen. Just took me two false starts.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Goddammit Ringo. :ughh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ringo thinks it's garbage too.

But it's too profitable to stop writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Ringo thinks it's garbage too.

But it's too profitable to stop writing.
Ringo's pretty self-aware about how awful that series is.

But then he writes a Zombie Apocalypse series where the very first scene with a female character (a Navy sailor) has her superior officer forcing her to set a schedule where she would sleep with a bunch of her male fellows so that they won't gang rape her.