Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Wow, different perspectives are indeed interesting. Dack never showed up, but he was barely on my radar as an important card - he's okay and does stuff, but stealing one artifact and dying to a manland or looting a couple of times didn't strike me as game-endingly incredible. Going into the match, I was most concerned about getting under the tax effects and land destruction and trying to get Tinker for Blightsteel ASAP, hoping to deal with Metamorphs by discard, counters, a planeswalker, or opponent just not having them. Vault/Key is a safer win, but also much harder to set up, especially postboard when I'm facing multiple Null Rods. If it seemed possible, sure, but I doubted I'd ever have time to go for that.

Game 1 my first hand was Force, miscellaneous blue spells, and Strip Mine as the only mana source. (I think this is on the video? Haven't watched it yet.) Two avenues of disruption, but it didn't seem like it could win the game, even if it drew 1-2 blue lands immediately, and I expected shops to be faster off the ground than me so... toss it back. Second hand I believe had land, Lotus, Tinker, and could have gotten Blightsteel against one tax effect with a mox off the top. Unfortunately, no mox was forthcoming, and I would need to use Lotus to cast a single Repeal or draw spell. I kept waiting trying to hit more lands, but such was not to be - really nothing I could have drawn after turn 2ish, I think.

Boarding out: 3x Mental Misstep, 1x Misdirection, 2x Repeal, 2x Pyroblast
Coming in: 4x Ingot Chewer, 2x Viashino Heretic, 1x Mountain, 1x Pyroclasm.
Seems pretty clear cut, except perhaps I should have kept a Repeal instead of Pyroclasm. My justification at the time was killing Revokers instead of doing nothing, mostly disappointed due to both Repeals showing up and rotting in my hand game 1. Both cards seem not incredibly useful, though. Hurkyl's would be an awesome card for this matchup, but such is the peril of never playing Vintage before and copying an LSV list.

Game 2... well, refer to the first paragraph of this post, that's about how it went down. I was holding on to Force + Ingot Chewer + Tinker + Yawgmoth's Will all game, and thinking about where to use them. Null Rod and Chalice on 1 both seemed fine to leave in play, as they didn't shut off any of what I had actually drawn or was planning to do. And, more to the point, running them out in that order signaled that my opponent didn't actually have any tax effects. "If those are his best plays, I'm not getting locked out or Strip-Crucibled, so I should be okay! I can just let these go, and counter/destroy any real threats after that!" I thought.

Well, then came Revoker and scared me into using my Force on it. Arguably this was a mistake. From my point of view it was *definitely* a mistake, because I had confused Revoker and Pithing Needle again, and thought that a resolved Revoker would shut off one of the fetches I had in play. It turns out Revoker is the one that cannot name lands at all, so it would have hit a walker instead. Then again, I wasn't considering my walkers as much as I should have been, but they would have been excellent draws and Revoker shutting them off would have been very sad as well if the game had gone that way.

Then a Golem hit, then I Tinkered for Blightsteel and he had the Metamorph and followup threats. Ow. As it turns out, Lodestone Golem decided the match. I indeed would not have had the mana to Force the Metamorph, even if I had held it up, and with the threat on the board I think I had to just go for the Blightsteel and pray. I could have taken a much slower line and tried to draw more counters, or destroyed (or countered) Null Rod and tried to get Vault/Key, but all of those strategies were multiple cards away from working out... whereas I'd be taking sure damage every turn from manlands, and still living in constant fear of Crucible + Strip or Wasteland. The land destruction lock seemed to be GG on the spot if it ever happened, and the fear of it definitely made me think I had to either be fast or play around it. I did see cards being held in the opponent's hand, and guessed at least one of them was Crucible.

Maybe some of the above is wrong! Haha, who am I kidding, some of the above is definitely absolutely wrong. Overall I still think that just going for the Blightsteel there was best, and suicidesteve's draws were obviously nuts and almost certainly beat any line I take. Viashino Heretic showed up on the very last turn of the match, when I was already drawing dead, but would've been good before that. Hurkyl's would be killer to have as well and I wish I'd put one in instead of "uuuhhhh what's a good card... Gifts Ungiven? That's okay right?" suicidesteve is correct that I would never actively kill a Grafdigger's Cage, and with everything else he said, especially Wastelanding me G1 instead of whatever else someone wanted him to do(?!) Random thoughts from anyone are very much appreciated, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My match rundown: I somehow managed to outlast my opponent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MySwan posted:

Are you around after 530 today? ill be on irc.

Can we do it earlier because I have to drive for 3 hours today

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Your sideboarding is exactly what I'd have done. I pretty much had an unbeatable hand game 1 if I drew a land and drew really well both games. I definitely like Pyroclasm over Repeal. You don't want to spend X+1 mana to bounce 1 of my permanents, never mind the X+2 or X+3 it's likely to cost you. Mana inefficiency is not a winning plan against Shops. For how little I actually let you play, you were one card away from winning twice.

Revoker actually would have named Heretic. This was the first match where I did my homework (every other match of these leagues I've just gone in blind,) and that card scared me. I'm pretty sure if you untap with it I lose. I wouldn't call Forcing it a mistake, exactly. You definitely did it for the wrong reasons - even if I could/would have named a land you could have fetched while it was on the stack - but Forcing it leaves you with a lot more live draws. The game ended up working out where you couldn't have Forced anything else relevant anyway. Also, Dack is your best card against me. It lets you hit lands much more reliably and If you steal a Golem I'm probably not winning that game.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
last call poste u know the deal

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Lonely Bridge posted:

Jonked we should play magic
Soooooo my bad! I wouldn't mind playing you but I also don't mind taking the 0-4 drop if I'm holding up the tournament.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I won 2-0 against Starving Autist thanks to my incredibly skillful line of naturally drawing into the Vault/Key combo with force backup

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

He didn't know about your golems, so i think forcing the revoker made sense at the time. In hindsight it was really bad and he should have forced the golem.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
2-0 against MySwans

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
polls are closed, Jonked and L0cke17 dropped

Jabor [2-1] v instantrunoffvote [2-1] (1-2)
FEATURE MATCH: eSporks [2-1] v Fingers McLongDong [2-1] (0-2)
Ranpire [2-1] v gang sines [2-1] (2-1)
kizudarake [1-1-1] v Irony Be My Shield [2-1] (1-2)
Chamale [1-2] v The March Hare [1-2] (march concedes)
LordSaturn [1-2] v MySwan [1-2] (LS dropped)
Starving Autist [0-2-1] v Lonely Bridge [1-2] (Autist drop)
Viscardus [3-0] v TheKingOfSprings [3-0] (2-1)
TheLawinator [3-0] v suicidesteve [3-0] (0-2)

featuring the 2-1s to avoid shops for a week :3

black potus fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 15, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

black potus posted:

FEATURE MATCH: eSporks [2-1] v Fingers McLongDong [2-1]
Oh god, I am just imagining mind censor in response to doomsday.
I'm free most days after 5pm PST, and usually in IRC.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

Oh god, I am just imagining mind censor in response to doomsday.
I'm free most days after 5pm PST, and usually in IRC.

I'll be available after 5 this week as well. Tuesday and Thursday are probably best for me but I'm flexible. I have some early mornings this week so I can't play too late though. EST also. Interested to see if you can go off before I hate you out :)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

TheLawinator [3-0] v suicidesteve [3-0]

featuring the 2-1s to avoid shops for a week :3

Rigged! Nobody wants to see people play Magic! We want misery and suffering!

Anyway, what's the deal? Are we having a top 8? I'll help collaborate with people to get it done in a timely manner. I just want to Vintage more people.

Either way I should be around tonight and Wednesday after dinnerish, Friday sometime after midnight, and Saturday whenever probably. I'm not sure about Sunday yet. All times are EST.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah we'll top 8 for that sweet sweet jihad

oh wait it's army of allah

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also for the feature let's do thursday so we don't fight through VSL again

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ranpire gets me 2-1

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

black potus posted:

also for the feature let's do thursday so we don't fight through VSL again
Works for me. Thursday at 5ish PST.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

yeah we'll top 8 for that sweet sweet jihad

oh wait it's army of allah

In that case, do we have standings?

I want Army of Allah significantly less. But I still want it!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
standings are zoness's job :I

e: my tool does breakers weird so the standings are off

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What are we doing, irony be my shield?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty open for any evening at the moment.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm pretty open for any evening at the moment.

Tomorrow, around 6 pm central time?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sure, I can play just after 6.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
LordSaturn, whats good. Do you hang out on irc?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MySwan posted:

LordSaturn, whats good. Do you hang out on irc?

Not habitually. What nights are good?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sure, I can play just after 6.
I'll be on IRC, Cockatrice is preferred.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

LordSaturn posted:

Not habitually. What nights are good?

tonight, free whenever, preferably late night
Wednesday (tomorrow) the 8th, after 8
Thursday the 9th, late night, say 11ish
Friday, 10th, after 7
Saturday, like 11pm at the earliest
Sunday the 12th, don't have my work schedule yet, probably free all day, could be busy till 4

MySwan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 8, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I'll be on IRC, Cockatrice is preferred.

I'm in irc #mtgoon

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Starving Autist Hello, let's lose at each other sometime

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I beat kizudarake 2-1. Interesting things I learnt from the game I lost: Tolarian Academy does not tap for mana on its own and also seeing a bunch of power cards blinds me with greed

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I beat kizudarake 2-1. Interesting things I learnt from the game I lost: Tolarian Academy does not tap for mana on its own and also seeing a bunch of power cards blinds me with greed

Yeah, this cool mahfucka right here beat me 2-1.

Interesting notes: cockatrice apparently has me on the good draw games 2 and three blacklist, because I saw basically poo poo those games. (Nah, I just suck at hand evaluation, and tried to get out a turn 1 Jace the mind sculptor)

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
qhote's note dit

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
wtf i'm terrible at forums

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, this cool mahfucka right here beat me 2-1.

Interesting notes: cockatrice apparently has me on the good draw games 2 and three blacklist, because I saw basically poo poo those games. (Nah, I just suck at hand evaluation, and tried to get out a turn 1 Jace the mind sculptor)
I don't think you were wrong to keep the hands you had in games 2 and 3, they were pretty good considering they were mulligans to 6 and 4 respectively. I just happened to have an answer ready in both cases.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I don't think you were wrong to keep the hands you had in games 2 and 3, they were pretty good considering they were mulligans to 6 and 4 respectively. I just happened to have an answer ready in both cases.

I know, I'm not really salty. Man, though, turn 1 jace would have been fun as poo poo, though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hey eSporks any chance we can reschedule? I have family coming up and suddenly deciding they want to stay with us instead of the original plan. Are you available sunday evening or maybe even tonight?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tonight might be tough, I agreed to work to overtime, but if I am around in IRC and gansines is ready we can do it. If not I should be open pretty much all day Sunday.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MySwan posted:

tonight, free whenever, preferably late night
Wednesday (tomorrow) the 8th, after 8
Thursday the 9th, late night, say 11ish
Friday, 10th, after 7
Saturday, like 11pm at the earliest
Sunday the 12th, don't have my work schedule yet, probably free all day, could be busy till 4

I'm being loving impoossibly lazy and stupid about this. I'll be staying in tomorrow so maybe then.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

LordSaturn posted:

I'm being loving impoossibly lazy and stupid about this. I'll be staying in tomorrow so maybe then.

it all good, what time tomorrow? like 7, or late night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
instantrunoffvote I'll be in IRC a bit over the weekend, or post here if you want to set a time or something.

• Locked thread