Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
We just use a $5 glass "butter dish" and while I don't make my own artisinal bread it seems to keep butter room temperature just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

xie posted:

We just use a $5 glass "butter dish" and while I don't make my own artisinal bread it seems to keep butter room temperature just fine.

How does it feel to live a life of abject poverty :smug:?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Honestly butter bells are pretty decent, and if you've never spread room temperature butter, you've missed out on life. It's also a durable good, so it should last a long time. I have a $25 one I got for xmas, and I love the thing. You don't know the meaning of describing something to be "like butter," unless you've spread it out of a bell.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31qwph/buying_a_home_recovering_from_old_debts

reddit posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster...I'm actually nervous to post this based on responses I've seen. But here we go!

I appreciate anyone who reads this, I'll try to be succinct as possible while providing all necessary details.

My wife and I have never been truly "out of debt". Be it paying for an unnecessarily large wedding, having kids immediately, buying a townhouse soon thereafter. You name it. We make good salaries and aren't extravagant spenders but are still paying for mistakes of the past.

We're pregnant with our 3rd child, due soon, and are looking to purchase our final single family home (selling current townhouse). Here are some of our financial stats to be followed by a specific question...

• Only source of income is jobs - 200k a year.

• Her 401k is essentially gone after we pulled it to pay for this house as a loan (changed jobs after that and had to deal with early withdrawal).

• My 401k is okay but currently repaying loans on it. 5 separate loans at 1000 (total) per month. They all end separately over the next 3 years.

• 2238 a month, mortgage + escrow + home warranty

• 1200 a month, daycare

• 401k Loans

• All loans are 3.25% interest rate paid back into my account

• Loan 1 - 257 a month, 8100 left, Payoff 10/17

• Loan 2 - 235 a month, 9700 left, Payoff 09/18

• Loan 3 - 99 a month, 2200 left, Payoff 12/16

• Loan 4 - 183 a month, 4600 left, Payoff 03/17

• Loan 5 - 218 a month, 7500 left, Payoff 01/18

• 500 a month, Discover Loan, Payoff 5/16

• 500 a month, loan to parents who provided us down payment (no interest), Payoff 12/22 (10 years but planned to increase after 4-5 years to pay down sooner)

• 260 a month, school for eldest daughter

• 125 a month, gym fees

• 400 a month, cable/phone bill

• 300 a month, utilities

• 77 a month, HOA

• 90 a month, life insurance

• 180 a month, car payment, 4000 left on loan, 4% interest

• 40 a month, car insurance

• Credit Card

• CC1 - 8000 total, 250 min, 27% interest

• CC2 - 4500 total, 150 min, 24% interest

• CC3 - 4500 total, 150 min, 19% interest

• CC4 - 800 total, 60 min, 4% interest

• ** Student Loans**

• Loan 1 - 75 a month, 5% interest, 3500 left

• Loan 2 - 163 a month, 6% interest, 13000 left

• Loan 3 - 181 a month, 6% interest, 10000 left

• 2600 a month (budgeted), living expenses. Gas, groceries, everything else. Based on averages since 2009, we average 1700 a month in these categories

The long and short of it is we pull in about 10400 after taxes and shell out about 9600 in expenses. In a perfect world we'd stay in this house until all CC debt is cleared and we've removed some of the 401k loans to clear up some of our monthly income. But this isn't a perfect world and we all answer to someone right?

We went to a mortgage lender to talk options yesterday which was great because it showed us how much our payment would go up and we know that we cannot make that happen in our current state. But it led to questions on how we can reduce our monthly expenses to make that payment affordable.

Option 1 - Based on a lot of posts here this may be a dumb question...Should we take the rest of the 401k loans I have as an early withdrawal and pay the penalty? That would immediately free up 1000 a month. That could be turned around and used to clear CC debt.

Option 2 - Wait a year and get a few more CCs paid off to free up some monthly income? We are currently (for the first time ever) at a place where income exceeds debts and are starting to crawl out of our perpetual hole.

I appreciate any advice that may come. Perfect is truly the enemy of good in our situation, but we're really trying to make it right.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where's the 4000 pixel :stare:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Loving the empty platitudes to assuage his fear/guilt/whatever. "This isn't a perfect world and we all answer to someone right?" "Perfect is truly the enemy of good in our situation." These are problems that people without debt do not have!

Hopefully they don't dig themselves halfway out and use their newfound leverage to buy that new house...

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 7, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wow I wish my "only source of income" was 200k a year.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ALWAYS

WITH

THE

HOUSES

Multiple houses in this case, no less.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
It turns out that Reddit guy had a budget for over 5 years and probably knew they were hosed, but a total lack of communication skills and dialog between he and his wife probably made fixing this impossible and will continue to do so. I think someone pointing out that if he was fired, he would need to find $32k in 60 days really shook him, though.

I've seen a few friends who have low social and emotional IQs eventually get tied to someone in marriage who runs them and their paycheck over. I don't think these SOs are completely malicious, but in many cases the reason they're with those friends of mine is because my friends can provide stability and a specific lifestyle. Should those pursestrings be cut, the SOs are going to continue spending.

The Reddit poster's problem isn't money, clearly. The family is fine at making money-- it's their addiction problems and being complete emotional turds that are the real problem and won't ever let them fix this spending problem. If a person can't stop themselves from buying a $50 butter holder or expensive gym membership when they can't afford it, they have an addiction problem.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 7, 2015

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly butter bells are pretty decent, and if you've never spread room temperature butter, you've missed out on life.

What is it supposed to do? My butter stays room temperature and spreadable without a special container, all I do is not put it in the fridge. Maybe I just don't have a sophisticated taste for butter, because it doesn't seem to go bad.

Bad with Butter: Torn toast and Butter Bell debt slavery

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zool posted:

What is it supposed to do? My butter stays room temperature and spreadable without a special container, all I do is not put it in the fridge. Maybe I just don't have a sophisticated taste for butter, because it doesn't seem to go bad.

Bad with Butter: Torn toast and Butter Bell debt slavery
It's supposed to keep all of the air away from the butter, which helps it stay fresh longer.

I keep mine in a plastic dish along the lines of this and never have it out long enough to notice spoilage, so vOv. I guess it might matter more if you buy unsalted butter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ALL those products are for unsalted butter. I leave my salted butter out uncovered for maybe 1-2 weeks at a time in the Texas summer and it's never gone bad.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
At least with the high income he has the potential to make severe cuts and pay off all that debt in no time but then again I said the same thing about Slowmo.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Goddamn. I started hyperventilating a little as I continued scrolling, scrolling, and scrolling through that list of monthly debts.

I love how many categories there are. E.g. 300/mo for "utilities" but that doesn't count a "tv/phone" bill of $400/mo.

On top of all of that, 2600/mo in "living expenses: Gas, groceries, everything else..."

He's itemized so much already, I don't see how $2,600 can encompass much more than just food/gas/shopping. They must buy so much poo poo.

I net less than $2,000/month and somehow I manage to support a family of three and save a little. He's paying FIVE TIMES that just servicing his immense array of debts.

Nobody has even mentioned that they have a third kid on the way, which looks like it will probably bankrupt them immediately given their other child related expenses. I assume his wife will have to take time off from work, and when she goes back to work, she'll need to put the infant in daycare for a couple grand more a month.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Eh, the numbers are big but they could be debt free in 4-5 years and really not wind up paying all that much interest. Someone in the comments has it - they mortgaged their future over the past 10 years or so and now it's coming due. As long as they're wise and don't continue trying to borrow from their futures they can get back to solid footing without losing anything further.

They make good money so if they can stick to it as they pay down the debts they'll have large amounts of income to try to catch up their retirement at least. Their income is high enough that they're in better shape than some people with a lot less debt.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Wow I wish my "only source of income" was 200k a year.

You see how poor they are on $200k per year. They truly are the working poor, life must be so hard for them with $2600 per month in misc living expenses.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Look at all of you, humble-bragging your more modest incomes.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Krispy Kareem posted:

Look at all of you, humble-bragging your balls to the walls, no holds barred, cut down to the bone savings rates.

Yes. 50%+ or GTFO.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Seamonster posted:

Yes. 50%+ or GTFO.

What kind of complainypants needs to spend 50% of their income?!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Thesaurus posted:

Goddamn. I started hyperventilating a little as I continued scrolling, scrolling, and scrolling through that list of monthly debts.

Yeah, I could actually feel myself getting anxious reading all those debts, all with payoff dates years in the future.

Even if they can magically immediately stop whatever their unlisted spending is that is driving them into debt (lol), they don't even start completing the first of those loans for like 15 months, most are more like 24-36 months. Considering he has everything listed with the minimum payment next to it, you gotta figure those credit cards will be accumulating plenty of interest.

Somehow paying $5k/yr on phone/cable alone which is bananas.

I think my favorite line item is the $60k loan from his parents that he casually slips in there at the end. "Here's all our debts and expenses in some random order oh and p.s. i am paying my parents $6k/yr for the next decade on top of that".

He measures their debts in in monthly minimums and even then barely break even on paper.

What tells me this problem is only going to get worse is that he has not actually identified the source of their debts.

He offers no explanation for the credit card debt other than "haha we sure are always in debt, you guys know how it goes"

He mumbles something about the costs of their townhouse being to blame for his wife draining her ENTIRE 401k(!) plus a bunch of his own, and this does NOT factor in the aforementioned $60k home loan from his parents as part of the cost of their current home. but in the next breath asks if they should buy a new bigger house now or wait a year and buy the new bigger house then. Jesus Christ.

Maybe he likes the feeling of pure risk, knowing that his whole life is built on a house of cards and could collapse at any minute.

E: I see xie's point, but that's much too optimistic I think. Large income means this COULD be manageable, but they don't seem to even have a grasp on their situation. Their budget such as it is seems like a mix of fixed monthly costs they can plan for, minimum debt payments, and random guesswork. What is their mysterious other expenses category? Why do they allocate $900/mo more to it than they actually spend? Between that $900 and the $800 surplus built into their budget, why are they allocating $0 to debt payments beyond the minimums while plotting to increase the size of their mortgage and racking up more 401k loans and cc debt?

It's not that someone in their situation can't get out of it in a reasonable timeframe, it's that these people in particular seem poised to continue hemorrhaging money.

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Someone called into Dave Ramsey yesterday and described a scenario in which a person's elderly parents gifted $30k each to their 4 adult children.

This happened 12 years ago. But one of the 4 kids never cashed the check. The parents died recently and now the bonehead has tried and failed to raise a claim against the estate for the $30k. This lead to a relationship meltdown in which the person is trying to pressure the other 3 siblings to pay $10k each of their own money to reimburse.

:psyduck:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I look forward to his next appearance, featured in the Wall St. Journal in their second segment about how 200K annually isn't actually that well off.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BossRighteous posted:

Someone called into Dave Ramsey yesterday and described a scenario in which a person's elderly parents gifted $30k each to their 4 adult children.

This happened 12 years ago. But one of the 4 kids never cashed the check. The parents died recently and now the bonehead has tried and failed to raise a claim against the estate for the $30k. This lead to a relationship meltdown in which the person is trying to pressure the other 3 siblings to pay $10k each of their own money to reimburse.

Failing to cash the cheque sounds like something I'd be stupid enough to do but what I don't get is trying to make the siblings somehow responsible, 12 years down the line?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Squinky v2.0 posted:

He mumbles something about the costs of their townhouse being to blame for his wife draining her ENTIRE 401k(!) plus a bunch of his own, and this does NOT factor in the aforementioned $60k home loan from his parents as part of the cost of their current home. but in the next breath asks if they should buy a new bigger house now or wait a year and buy the new bigger house then. Jesus Christ.

Maybe he likes the feeling of pure risk, knowing that his whole life is built on a house of cards and could collapse at any minute.

It's not that someone in their situation can't get out of it in a reasonable timeframe, it's that these people in particular seem poised to continue hemorrhaging money.

Now imagine how many people are in this situation in the economy. Now it takes a few years to reach breaking point but imagine what happens when a lot of them collapse financially all at the same time. Probably resembles the "business cycle". It's good to know about people loving up their finances like this so you can see where a crash starts from.

He's not even fully aware of how bad his finances are.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You know it's bad when an institution designed to profit by slowly draining you of your incoming cash for the majority of your working years refuses your business, despite the fact that you pull in 5 figures every 4 weeks

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
Just in case anyone is curious but cant be bothered to add it up, that guy's total debt is about $146k. Not including his mortgage.

I just cant fathom how someone can think its a good time to buy a house when they have minus $146k.

jaymeekae fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

jaymeekae posted:

I just cant fathom how someone can think its a good time to buy a house when they have minus $146k.

About the same mentality that gets you to $146k in debt in the first place.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

"Just roll up my lease into the new lease," then add a zero or two to that number. "The gatekeeper for this purchase said I can do it, so I must be able to do it."

I don't know how many kids/teens have it drilled in them that banks are actually pretty evil and will loan you way more money than is appropriate or financially responsible.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blinkman987 posted:

"Just roll up my lease into the new lease," then add a zero or two to that number. "The gatekeeper for this purchase said I can do it, so I must be able to do it."

I don't know how many kids/teens have it drilled in them that banks are actually pretty evil and will loan you way more money than is appropriate or financially responsible.

I also enjoy how he's planning to pay down early the only zero-interest loan that he has. I mean, his parents probably aren't relying on that $60k in the next 5 years or whatever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

ALWAYS

WITH

THE

HOUSES

Multiple houses in this case, no less.

Let me tell you about wanting a house with no income and no job. All he needs is <$250k for a house.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31t2g3/want_to_buy_a_house_need_to_know_if_its/

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

bartlebyshop posted:

Failing to cash the cheque sounds like something I'd be stupid enough to do but what I don't get is trying to make the siblings somehow responsible, 12 years down the line?

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that the logic is: "It's not my fault, because I'm blameless of all sins no matter what, so it has to be someone else's."

Quite how this logic is plausible for a grown man, I haven't a clue.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/contractor-s-repeated-delays-frustrate-mount-pearl-woman-1.3023645 posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/contractor-s-repeated-delays-frustrate-mount-pearl-woman-1.3023645

Ivany hired contractor Mike Shea in 2012 to build a basement apartment and to renovate the upstairs of the Mount Pearl home.

However, after spending $250,000 and going nearly $130,000 over budget, Ivany for the longest time could not even get an occupancy permit to move into the apartment.

Spending $250k seems a little on the steep side as it is, letting the contractor go $130k over budget is BWM.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31tbw5/feeling_a_bit_overwhelmed_25_working_and_going_to/

Poor Bastard posted:

"Main reason the car payment is so high is that the dealership took the car I had (which i owed quite a bit of money on) and basically poured that negative equity i had into the lease. At least that how it was explained to me. The residual on the car is ~10,350. I'm not sure what that all means tho."

This one is kind of depressing.

Zool fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 8, 2015

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

BossRighteous posted:

Supposedly, and I have no way of actually validating this, one of the small businesses my company works with has like 30-50k in checks, payable to them, that they just haven't gotten around to cashing. Like all they have to do is go to the bank and deposit them. Think about that when you hear x% of small businesses fail in the first 3 years.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SpecialK2 posted:

Supposedly, and I have no way of actually validating this, one of the small businesses my company works with has like 30-50k in checks, payable to them, that they just haven't gotten around to cashing. Like all they have to do is go to the bank and deposit them. Think about that when you hear x% of small businesses fail in the first 3 years.

This whole thing has me thinking of that one episode of Seinfeld.

Your grandmother's on a very fixed income!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

BossRighteous posted:

If it's a large enough estate where that money is still floating around (not like we sold the house and have money) there might be some reasonable path to resolution. That might imply that the money not cashed made its way down to the other 3 siblings since it never left the parents bank account. The difference though is the stupid tax in this case would be that 30k is lower since it had to pass through estate taxes.

Obviously it's a retarded situation but workable to some degree. I'm assuming it was a smaller estate though and cash wasn't really pouring out in any degree making that 30k hurt even more.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Seamonster posted:

Yes. 50%+ or GTFO.

pfft

I saved 70% when I lived in my parent's basement.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

If it's a large enough estate where that money is still floating around (not like we sold the house and have money) there might be some reasonable path to resolution. That might imply that the money not cashed made its way down to the other 3 siblings since it never left the parents bank account. The difference though is the stupid tax in this case would be that 30k is lower since it had to pass through estate taxes.

Obviously it's a retarded situation but workable to some degree. I'm assuming it was a smaller estate though and cash wasn't really pouring out in any degree making that 30k hurt even more.

Any family that cares about US estate taxes is probably not squabbling over $30k

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Devian666 posted:

Let me tell you about wanting a house with no income and no job. All he needs is <$250k for a house.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31t2g3/want_to_buy_a_house_need_to_know_if_its/

uh, 250k for a house on a 30 year mortage is 250000 / (30*12) = $694.44/month in mortgages that seems perfectly reasonable to me and I don't see what the problem is.

*sticks fingers in ears*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Blue_monday posted:

Spending $250k seems a little on the steep side as it is, letting the contractor go $130k over budget is BWM.

The 250 includes the 130

• Locked thread