Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

lilljonas posted:

MDF is still available at the DIY shops around here. My supply problem is that it's impossible to find XPS sheets that are thinner than 4 inches where I live.

I bought a bunch from http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/ - had that same problem before, could only seem to find it in sheets that were ridiculously thick but I wanted thin sheets of the stuff to work with. They do a range of widths from 5.5mm and up. Not sure on shipping to Sweden though? (if I'm remembering whereabouts you're from correctly!)

An alternative to use for hills, if you can find them in your local DIY place is polystyrene ceiling tiles, they're not as dense as the blue and pink foam but they do the job perfectly for hills.

Why aren't we having this discussion in the terrain megathread? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

enri posted:

Why aren't we having this discussion in the terrain megathread? :psyduck:

I was wondering the same thing....

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Because I am a dope and didn't realize there was a terrain megathread....I will fix that in a bit!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Arcturas posted:

Because I am a dope and didn't realize there was a terrain megathread....I will fix that in a bit!

:D

Come on over - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570772

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anybody have any ideas for replacement Chimera treads? I've got the version 1.0 rubber treads, which I've heard were a real bear to put on. I've got seven Chimeras, so I don't want to create any more frustration than I need to.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does anyone have a clever way of making sword hilts? I need to make about 10 force swords without hands holding them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
For the grip itself you could probably use a piece of guitar wire by snipping the ends, pulling out the core, and inserting a brass rod.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Great idea, solves the issue of attatching it as well :)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just make sure you have the right tools for this (needle-nose pliers, wire cutters). You also want to take out the core of the guitar wire very slowly.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, I'm looking to start painting some miniatures. I've gotten into SW Armada and I'm looking to paint the teeny tiny fighters, probably using this dude's tutorial. I've also got the bajillion miniatures from Dungeon Saga coming Soon™ and I'll be painting all of those. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this paint set by army painter. It looks like it has a nice variety to start and comes with some brushes. Is there a better deal out there for a starting painter who will probably be using a bunch of different colors (for Dungeon Saga)? Are there any foibles with Army Painter paints I should be aware of?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Decided to work on some Pathfinders that have been sitting on my shelf for some time. For some reason the image makes them look a lot more blue than they actually are. Got some detials to still do but I liked how these guys came out as they were some first attempts at using my airbrush to glaze. Comment and criticism welcome.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FishFood posted:

So, I'm looking to start painting some miniatures. I've gotten into SW Armada and I'm looking to paint the teeny tiny fighters, probably using this dude's tutorial. I've also got the bajillion miniatures from Dungeon Saga coming Soon™ and I'll be painting all of those. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this paint set by army painter. It looks like it has a nice variety to start and comes with some brushes. Is there a better deal out there for a starting painter who will probably be using a bunch of different colors (for Dungeon Saga)? Are there any foibles with Army Painter paints I should be aware of?

That it comes with their washes makes it a pretty good deal IMO. I like their washes a lot, since they more closely match GW's old washes (which I kinda prefer). Their paints are pretty solid from what I understand--it's made more for their method of 'quickshading,' which is putting solid even colors over a models and then dipping them in a woodstain or using a wash over the entire model, but you can definitely use them like any other paint. I have not personally tried any of their colors beyond the washes and a couple of their rattlecans, but I was impressed with their dragon red spray and its ability to give a nice, even, smooth coat. So for starter sets, you can certainly do worse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The Sisko posted:

Decided to work on some Pathfinders that have been sitting on my shelf for some time. For some reason the image makes them look a lot more blue than they actually are. Got some detials to still do but I liked how these guys came out as they were some first attempts at using my airbrush to glaze. Comment and criticism welcome.

I like purple and green , they look good!!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone got a lead on where I can buy a vallejo game air suitcase? Like, actually buy instead of preorder for an unannounced date?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I was stumped on how to break up the large monotone areas on this Titan, (I like painting small details, not big things like vehicles, and this is one of the biggest vehicles) I was asking before for advice on what to do. I went ahead and did the checker patterns on the large surfaces, I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Much more work to do and I'll probably use decals on the coat of arms and other red areas, we'll see.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Sisko posted:

Paint job is good but I can't get over the impression that the one in the middle is about to perform a crotch chop.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Anyone got a lead on where I can buy a vallejo game air suitcase? Like, actually buy instead of preorder for an unannounced date?

I would also like to know this all the places I looked at were like " ITS COMING".

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vallejo+game+air+paint&_sop=16

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pretty sure at those prices they're getting the cases, filling them from a retailer, and reselling.

gently caress it though, bought the case by itself and I'll fill it BESPOKE

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
Has anyone had any luck stripping X-Wing minis?

Simple Green and oven cleaner have both failed to have even the slightest effect for me.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Aristocrat posted:

Simple Green and oven cleaner have both failed to have even the slightest effect for me.

I didn't have much luck with stripping, only certain parts of the paint would come off. I don't think X-Wing minis come out of the box with acrylic paint jobs

I still had success by putting a light base coat over the existing paint

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Aristocrat posted:

It is unnecessary. Just prime over the factory paint job. They are notoriously difficult to strip and the results are underwhelming when it does work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I should actually pay attention more to where I buy my paints, but who knows of the cheapest place to buy Alclad 2 and other paints from.

I know I know I should support my local store and I usually do it's just Alclad 2 is a bit high.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gutrot Spume incoming:

Good to do something a bit different, made a nice change from power armour

Came together surprisingly quickly too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

I love this scheme, Tau aren't in fun colors often enough.

Skarsnik posted:

Gutrot Spume incoming:

Nice to do something a bit different, made a nice change from power armour

The blends on those tentacles are seriously great. That's an excellent looking mini.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Gutrot Spume incoming:

I read that as Gutcake Supreme. RIP Oderus Urungus. "Unconventional" color pallets sometimes stick in my craw, the paint being just too whacky that it's distracting. The colors on this are subdued yet still vibrant, very unique and pleasing to the eye.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Skarsnik that's just gorgeous. I love the vibrancy and, as mentioned, the blending on the tentacles is ace.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

First time doing a proper colour fade/blend and it turned out good. Learning with a 3 colour blend on 7 different tentacles with lots of really inaccessible bits was probably not the best call though

Got better at it as I went along though and I can see how I can improve it next time which is always useful

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What is Lexan Plastic, I mean I've read the wiki and understand it's a type of plastic but this manufacturer of paints is not forthcoming on what the hell " Specially formulated for Lexon Plastics" means.

This is the product:

http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/spazpaintmirror-chrome-s/1700.htm

If anyone has ever used Spaz Stix paint , please let me know. It seems it's a alternative to Alclad 2.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Gutrot Spume incoming:

That's absolutely amazing work. Love the blends on the tentacles.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hollismason posted:

What is Lexan Plastic, I mean I've read the wiki and understand it's a type of plastic but this manufacturer of paints is not forthcoming on what the hell " Specially formulated for Lexon Plastics" means.

This is the product:

http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/spazpaintmirror-chrome-s/1700.htm

If anyone has ever used Spaz Stix paint , please let me know. It seems it's a alternative to Alclad 2.

Lexan is a tougher, harder version of plexiglass.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone have any tips about testing color schemes on vehicles without actually painting the vehicle? I'm going to do the Steel Legion that I've had sitting in a box for over a decade, and I want to test out a color scheme for the vehicles. While I like the standard SL scheme of Rotting Flesh/Black striping, I've never thought it fit the aesthetic of the SL Khaki trenchcoats. I think I want to do a color more traditionally associated with Tallarn.

Problem is, I've only got six Chimeras and none to spare in a color test. They aren't small, and I really don't want to use one and try to go back and strip it later (I don't have anything large enough to soak it in.) In addition, I want to do some hairspray chipping, so I'm afraid if I do that and don't like the color, I'll have uneven spots when I overpaint.

What do I do? :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just try to find isometric schematic drawings and fill them in on mspaint.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I test my color schemes on cheapo aircraft and model kits you get in the bargain bins and such. I mean you can still get a cheapo tank kit for like less than 10 bucks some places and they can be fun to assemble if you like building tanks.

You can sometimes find cheap kits at Dollar Stores or just cheap military vehicles there and paint them how you like.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Lexan is a tougher, harder version of plexiglass.

Yeah but does it mean the paints are not for regular miniature plastics?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does anyone have any tips about testing color schemes on vehicles without actually painting the vehicle? I'm going to do the Steel Legion that I've had sitting in a box for over a decade, and I want to test out a color scheme for the vehicles. While I like the standard SL scheme of Rotting Flesh/Black striping, I've never thought it fit the aesthetic of the SL Khaki trenchcoats. I think I want to do a color more traditionally associated with Tallarn.

Problem is, I've only got six Chimeras and none to spare in a color test. They aren't small, and I really don't want to use one and try to go back and strip it later (I don't have anything large enough to soak it in.) In addition, I want to do some hairspray chipping, so I'm afraid if I do that and don't like the color, I'll have uneven spots when I overpaint.

What do I do? :ohdear:

Get a cereal box corner, glue some squares of cereal cardboard on it to simulate armour panels and glue some thinly cut rod strips for rivets and then practice.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

Get a cereal box corner, glue some squares of cereal cardboard on it to simulate armour panels and glue some thinly cut rod strips for rivets and then practice.

Interesting. But I'd have to start eating cereal. I'm sure I can find some card though. Also, I just thought of painting the interior of one of the Chimeras - I don't plan on having the hatches open anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Gutrot Spume incoming:

loving fantastic. Brilliant colour choice for the tentacles to contrast the armour without dominating the model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just paint one of those green army men tanks (from Goodwill or yard sales) whenever I want to try out something new or weird.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

loving fantastic. Brilliant colour choice for the tentacles to contrast the armour without dominating the model.

cheers dude :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

Interesting. But I'd have to start eating cereal. I'm sure I can find some card though. Also, I just thought of painting the interior of one of the Chimeras - I don't plan on having the hatches open anyway.

Listen, man. You buy GW products. Is throwing money away on cereal you're not going to eat really that big a deal?

Think of it as basing material. Get one of the fibery ones. I'm pretty sure they're not biodegradable.

But don't get a sugary brand. Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0GYSA1POs