Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Finally got a good one going, and got stuck in a ladder? Happened last night jumping off of a roof onto a porch.. just got stuck on nothing. Tried hacking a fence apart that I was standing on last night, and hacking the ladder this morning.. didn't help. Then I crouched. Last night that broke my leg, this time it killed me.

That -10 wellness for nothing really blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What's the best way to boost your wellness up quickly? I've got a bunch of bacon & eggs, about to start making venison stew, and I only drink goldenrod tea. Only problem is I don't get hungry or thirsty enough.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

On the upside, the air drops are way nicer about giving good medical supplies now. I've basically been constantly on anti-biotics to keep my wellness ticking back up. I need to hunt me some pig though so I can finally use all my eggs on bacon and eggs since that is a wellness a pop.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I guess producing antibiotics may actually be my best bet, I just need to find a beaker. I've got plenty of moldy bread and I'm sure I can find some potassium nitrate in the cave I've been mining.
E: Coffee takes your wellness down by .1, and also makes you thirsty. Goldenrod Tea quenches thirst and increases your wellness by .2. Would it be stupid to brew a shitload of coffee and a shitload of goldenrod tea and just go to town on myself?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 7, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Yes it would be stupid.

Also, did they take out gun-part molds? Is it only found guns now? I don't have those mold recipes, even for the guns I've found books for.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

glug posted:

Yes it would be stupid.

Also, did they take out gun-part molds? Is it only found guns now? I don't have those mold recipes, even for the guns I've found books for.

YA its all about parts now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

glug posted:

Yes it would be stupid.

Basically whenever you get a gun you have a book for you should just strip it down, replace any parts in your current gun with new parts that are better. Then for storage sake probably just reassemble everything into guns.

Thanks to that I have a purple pistol.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are you able to dissasemble a gun into all its parts now, instead of just a single one? And the parts will retain their quality identity when you do that?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you able to dissasemble a gun into all its parts now, instead of just a single one? And the parts will retain their quality identity when you do that?

Yeah. You get all the related parts, each internal part has it's own quality independent of what gun it is in. And gun quality is strictly by average of parts, not your level.

And hooray for caves. Getting iron is super easy now. Though it did lead to a really buggy death. I found an underground lake with potassium nitrate along the one side. Somewhere along the way my last torch glitches into a wall and is unrecoverable. So I go to swim back out. Apparently the entrance is not actually climbable so I'm swim mining to try to get a ramp up in this very black room. Occasionally I would fly into the ceiling 10 feet above the water then fall back down a break my leg. Eventually I died from this because I wasn't really carrying much healing gear since I'm in a loving cave.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 7, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there lava in the caves? I went exploring into one and a nice tunnel opened into a huge cavern with a huge drop down to the bottom. It was quite a ways down, though I don't know if it was bottom of the map down or not. There was a red liquid at the bottom, but I don't know if it was red because it was lava or red because it was lit by my torch.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

holy JESUS are those new Feral zombies stout. 16 rounds to the face with a sawed off and a few smacks with a melee weapon to take it down.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK I really like the new gun system, as crafting your own guns seemed a bit outlandish and also taking apart a gun and losing 75% of the pieces bugged me as well. Now I feel much more confident about looting the gun store and actually using those parts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What's the difference in damage between bow & arrow and the crossbow? Like, should I bother making the crossbow a priority build, or just something I make when I happen to stumble into having some leather and iron that I don't immediately need? Playing SP, if it matters.

Also seriously considering turning zombies-running to never, because with how early night starts now, I spend about a third of my time playing Hiding In The Middle Of The Room Simulator.

FISHMANPET posted:

My night percent is 35% but zombies are still running around from 6-6, what's up with that?
Same. I suspect it's a pretty common bug.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 7, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My night percent is 35% but zombies are still running around from 6-6, what's up with that?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Gosh, I wish I knew how to use mumble. I assume you guys use one, but I need help getting there. :(

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

FISHMANPET posted:

Another known bug that's set to be fixed

I'm not sure I totally understand it, but it's something about the way the game reads the skybox that sets when night begins and ends, and the one they're using now triggers it too soon.

Sounds like they're also going to eventually dial back the fog at night/early morning. And also apparently 7th day hordes are not triggering/triggering too early and all sorts of other weirdness, so if you notice that's not working right either, they know about it.

Seriously, even though it's filled with the usual histrionic Internet userbase, the devs are pretty good about communicating on the forums about stuff. One of the devs also runs a blog that's worth checking out every once in a while as well, particularly between updates.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

FISHMANPET posted:

I thought that 35% meant that the clock ticked faster at night.. does for me. You should notice when you hit night time the minutes fly by, and stop again at 6:40am IIRC.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thanks for mumble help.

Also Goons. (tm) :rolleyes:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Drakenel posted:

Thanks for mumble help.

Also Goons. (tm) :rolleyes:

Please stop shooting shotguns and spawning hordes. This is goon-shaming and I won't stand for it.

This is about ethics in goon camaraderie.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there lava in the caves? I went exploring into one and a nice tunnel opened into a huge cavern with a huge drop down to the bottom. It was quite a ways down, though I don't know if it was bottom of the map down or not. There was a red liquid at the bottom, but I don't know if it was red because it was lava or red because it was lit by my torch.

If it was in a cave, it probably wasn't lava, because it's not low enough, but there is lava down in the lower 20-30 blocks. They made a kind of "labyrinth" zone where the zombies run 24/7.

Don't go down there without purple iron armor with the heat buff activated.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Molothecat posted:

Please stop shooting shotguns and spawning hordes. This is goon-shaming and I won't stand for it.

This is about ethics in goon camaraderie.
molo is a cool and helpful person and you all should tell him where your homes are so he can bring baked goods like a friendly neighbor should

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Goonfort Deluxe Needs You!

Build forts. Hunt the enemy. Survive. Thrive!

The Goon-on-Goon Violence Ban has been lifted. Sign up today. Chaos reigns! Trust Omar and Molo!

Bring us proof of E-tank's death at your hands and be richly rewarded! Screenshots accepted! His tears fuel our war machines!

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Has anyone found a way to disable dogs or make it so that melee swings are not fully absorbed by blades of dense desert grass? I died to a dumb dog drat. I tried to google but only found a forum archive describing xml editing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My friends and I restarted our server in random gen and immediately came upon a two-story cabin with a forge. Got corn and potato seeds, a pond in the back, and are starting to build a crenelated wall around the perimeter.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
With the way you can tweak biome and town generation, I'd love it if we could somehow just generate a really large city as a server. No wilderness, just a giant city with radzone on every edge. Maybe throw in some custom pre-fab fortified houses that are in varying states of decay that you can repair and settle in.

I think it would make for a great server, in light of the complaints that large wildernesses lead to boring/rare interactions.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Mr Scumbag posted:

With the way you can tweak biome and town generation, I'd love it if we could somehow just generate a really large city as a server. No wilderness, just a giant city with radzone on every edge. Maybe throw in some custom pre-fab fortified houses that are in varying states of decay that you can repair and settle in.

I think it would make for a great server, in light of the complaints that large wildernesses lead to boring/rare interactions.

That actually sounds like it would be really cool.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kizurue posted:

That actually sounds like it would be really cool.

When they unfuck random gen, I'll see about setting up something like this. I can probably generate one huge biome with a 20 block megacity.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dogs can dig now :(

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Dogs can dig now :(

I now want the devs to add in dynamic bone burying for all dogs.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

PowerBeard posted:

I now want the devs to add in dynamic bone burying for all dogs.

When they kill you, they carry your backpack off and bury it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Then, to add insult to injury, the map would no longer show your dropped backpack, it would show the dog that buried the backpack.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

When they unfuck random gen, I'll see about setting up something like this. I can probably generate one huge biome with a 20 block megacity.

This sounds really interesting but apparently the Goonfort Deluxe server is in Alaska, which is pretty much on the other side of the globe from where I live. Which is a shame, because 272 ping kinda makes it hard to play.

Anyway I decided to play around with some building concepts. The new lighting effects work really well with indoorsy spaces.

Here's sunlight filtering through barred windows:

Here's some sunlight reflecting off an iron wall (looks cool but I had to turn reflections off since they tank my framerate)

Oh, and you can make traversible airducts now that you can crouch into 1-block spaces.

I kinda want to build stuff but I can't really commit to bigger projects since the patches seem to break prefabs and save files, so I could probably make some prefabs for that server. I'd prefer to build dungeonesque areas. Or maybe like a sky castle. Or an underwater base, if there's an ocean somewhere on the map (maybe the map could be a huge city on an island???)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 8, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Minorkos posted:

Or an underwater base, if there's an ocean somewhere on the map (maybe the map could be a huge city on an island???)

Escape from LA.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Day 1 in pure city sounds terrifying.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Minorkos posted:

This sounds really interesting but apparently the Goonfort Deluxe server is in Alaska, which is pretty much on the other side of the globe from where I live. Which is a shame, because 272 ping kinda makes it hard to play.

Anyway I decided to play around with some building concepts. The new lighting effects work really well with indoorsy spaces.

Here's sunlight filtering through barred windows:

Here's some sunlight reflecting off an iron wall (looks cool but I had to turn reflections off since they tank my framerate)

Oh, and you can make traversible airducts now that you can crouch into 1-block spaces.

I kinda want to build stuff but I can't really commit to bigger projects since the patches seem to break prefabs and save files, so I could probably make some prefabs for that server. I'd prefer to build dungeonesque areas. Or maybe like a sky castle. Or an underwater base, if there's an ocean somewhere on the map (maybe the map could be a huge city on an island???)

This looks really cool actually. Almost like secret labratory ambience Or maybe crashed spaceship. You're decent at building that I'd probably just sign on to help you make something cool now that the game looks significantly less lovely. (Anyone still around from the days where it was blocky terrain? I remember that poo poo. :( )

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Drakenel posted:

This looks really cool actually. Almost like secret labratory ambience Or maybe crashed spaceship. You're decent at building that I'd probably just sign on to help you make something cool now that the game looks significantly less lovely. (Anyone still around from the days where it was blocky terrain? I remember that poo poo. :( )

I was, it worked better for some stuff, like putting ladders in the ground without having to build a 3x3 shaft.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Zombies running from 6 to 6 is going to be fixed, but setting your night to 35% doesn't mean it changes the amount of daytime that is considered night. It makes the night part of the clock actually move faster. So they will always run from whatever time is considered the start of night to the start of morning no matter what you set your night % to be, the time will just move at different speeds.

Weird, I know, but that is how it works.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I did that max city size fix and changed wilderness poi's from like .5 to 3.5. I stil get 5-way empty crossings, which I thought were due to the town problem. At least I found a barn in the desert already. Really hoping the next patch fixes this problem.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hooray for more boredom-induced hallway designs

Pretty spooky at night, too

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Hooray for more boredom-induced hallway designs

Pretty spooky at night, too

I'm getting some Doom 3 flashbacks here. Which brings up the questions, will Fun Pimps bring in a way of combining the flashlight with a pistol / mp5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

PowerBeard posted:

I'm getting some Doom 3 flashbacks here. Which brings up the questions, will Fun Pimps bring in a way of combining the flashlight with a pistol / mp5?

Yep. Per Alpha 11 patch notes:

"Changed players can use the f key to toggle on one at a time mining helmet or equipped flashlights. Note: This will work with upcoming weapon flashlight attachments in A12"