Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Rule #1 of the Marvel Universe: There is always a non-zero chance that it's Doom.

Chances increases if you drop an incursion on Latveria early on. No way Doom was just going to sit on that piece of mapmaker planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gaz-L posted:

Rule #1 of the Marvel Universe: There is always a non-zero chance that it's Doom.

Someone should tell Odinson to add him to his list. Right after "Check Loki again".

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Chances increases if you drop an incursion on Latveria early on. No way Doom was just going to sit on that piece of mapmaker planet.

Hell Doom would become irrationally angry at the mere suggestion he would.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Decius posted:

Someone should tell Odinson to add him to his list. Right after "Check Loki again".

Doom inexplicably being female-Thor would also make sense. Double points if they copy the RA reveal.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I was reading a non-Avengers book today and it tied very heavily into our stuff. Even the name of the book is kind of a spoiler.

Miles Morales ends with everyone going "why is there a second Earth in the sky?"

I guess it's the first incursion to hit 1610 and the Bendis series covers how they go from this one to the very last incursion.

I might be reading it wrong and it might be the very last one though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

I was reading a non-Avengers book today and it tied very heavily into our stuff. Even the name of the book is kind of a spoiler.

Miles Morales ends with everyone going "why is there a second Earth in the sky?"

I guess it's the first incursion to hit 1610 and the Bendis series covers how they go from this one to the very last incursion.

I would bet it's the last one--UltReed has probably kept the other ones successfully hidden from public knowledge. But there's not enough info at this point, it would seem.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

redbackground posted:

I would bet it's the last one--UltReed has probably kept the other ones successfully hidden from public knowledge. But there's not enough info at this point, it would seem.
It's happening over Manhattan so it might very well be the last one.

There's a lot of good stuff in there:
- Deodato on New Avengers #33 is great news.
- He spoils that last issue a bit : "The last issue of "New Avengers" is basically [Strange] and Doom figuring stuff out and paying the price for it."
- There's also an obvious spoiler for Avengers #44 Cap and Tony meet a final time and we apparently get to know exactly how much Tony hosed up.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Ooh, what's Strikeforce: Morituri? Any good?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Strikeforce: Morituri was ahead of it's time.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Mimir posted:

Ooh, what's Strikeforce: Morituri? Any good?

Basic premise is that aliens invade and conquer Earth. To fight back, humans develop a method to give people super powers, but the catch is that in one year they'll die. It's good! Check it out.

TNG fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 9, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also, it works best with young people, so they're all barely eighteen.

It would fit in perfectly between The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know people have been knocking the art in Avengers and New Avengers but the guy drawing Avengers World is great. I loved today's issue. I can't say I'm familiar with any of his work prior to this book, but I'm loving what he's doing here.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

PelvicNerve posted:

Hickman also cameos:

Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 9, 2015

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Deadpool posted:

I know people have been knocking the art in Avengers and New Avengers but the guy drawing Avengers World is great. I loved today's issue. I can't say I'm familiar with any of his work prior to this book, but I'm loving what he's doing here.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. As one of the people grumbling about the art in the main titles, I'd rather this guy was there.

That said, as much I like complaining about the art in the other titles, it's mostly serviceable. My frustration with the art stems from how inconsistent it is compared to Hickman's writing. I see this run as this huge classic that I'll still be reading years from now and it frustrates me to know the end won't look as good as the first half (which is stellar).

Speaking of the art, in part 2 of yesterday's interview, Hickman confirms it's been a complete mess behind the scenes, which explains all these artist swaps:

quote:

The guys there at the end -- Leinil [Yu], Deo [Mike Deodato], Kev Walker, Stefano Caselli, and Valerio Schiti -- really saved my rear end in a lot of ways. We were working out of order and under the gun and they just did a great job.

People read these books and are interested in the stories and the characters, but a lot of the stuff we do to makes these books involves working with other people. You come to depend on them. That becomes appreciation and respect, and often times that's the best part. It's certainly true here.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That interview's really illuminating. It also confirms my theory that some of the plot threads introduced later into the New Avengers (like all the Illumanti's failed survival plans, the meeting with the cosmic beings, Ultimate Reed Richards role) were ideas that would have been better if they had been introduced earlier on in the series.

I can't fault Hickman for saying that, the guy is a perfectionist. I do have to hand it to him that even his last minute ideas seem so polished as to have been planned months in advance.

I also found it funny that the subtext seems to be "Jason Aaron had all these cool ideas for Thor that really complimented what I'm doing and working with it made my run better.
Rick Remender had this stupid idea for aging Cap that I've pretty much had to ignore as it really screws up my story."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jonny Hicks posted:

If I had my druthers we would have never even announced this stuff. The books would just show up the next month and would have replaced all the normal books. You've got to concede that would have been the coolest thing ever. It would have been confusing and it would have been total chaos, but we would've had fun.
That would have been fan-fuckin-tastic. :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

redbackground posted:

That would have been fan-fuckin-tastic. :allears:

Unfortunately there would have been such a backlash to that. People are already freaking out over reading lists and poo poo. Can you imagine the uproar if every comic suddenly came out without warning as a "Secret Wars" tie-in. There'd be boycotts and all kinds of stuff. Just here in this thread you have people complaining that their favorite comic is getting derailed because of this crossover; there'd be a riot if that happened to those people without warning.

It's hard enough to keep some secrets under wraps; also the company certainly can't not advertise upcoming books. I think the Hydra reveal in Winter Soldier that led to the shake up of the Agents of Shield tv series is as close as we get, and that pissed people off too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Unfortunately there would have been such a backlash to that. People are already freaking out over reading lists and poo poo. Can you imagine the uproar if every comic suddenly came out without warning as a "Secret Wars" tie-in. There'd be boycotts and all kinds of stuff. Just here in this thread you have people complaining that their favorite comic is getting derailed because of this crossover; there'd be a riot if that happened to those people without warning.
Oh, absolutely, the butthurt would be off the charts. (again: :allears:)

I wasn't reading comics when the AoA re-titling hit--were in-store buyers aware of what was going to happen then?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

redbackground posted:

Oh, absolutely, the butthurt would be off the charts. (again: :allears:)

I wasn't reading comics when the AoA re-titling hit--were in-store buyers aware of what was going to happen then?

There may have been some previewing in Comic Shop News or something, but anecdotally, I remember being utterly shocked and surprised by it.

That said, the people buying X-books had basically been trained over the last few years to buy everything with an X on it thanks to crossovers like X-Tinction Agenda or what have you; it was actually pretty rare for a reader to be buying only X-Men and not, say, New Mutants/X-Force. So it's not entirely a comparable context, since the retitling hit only a particular circle of books, and people were consuming that circle of books as a whole to begin with. But yeah, I remember it as being a surprise.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I was reminiscing about that last week: I was a teenager when AoA hit and I was getting my stuff from a local import store, so I had no idea what was coming as the owner didn't share the Previews solicitations with customers.
Seeing every X book replaced by something completely different totally blew my mind and with no knowledge of what was going to be published, my 15 year old self assumed it would last.
That's a close experience to what Hickman is describing and I was reminiscing about AoA precisely because I was thinking how awesome and messed up it would have been to have the world ending and SW come out of left field.

In retrospect, the most amazing thing in my AoA experience is how terribly run my LCS was as they did no preorders, pull lists or subscriptions. No poo poo they closed very quickly.

Edit: and yeah, identifying books was way easier with AoA as the new books were mostly obvious 1:1 with previous titles.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Previews and other advance solicitations existed in 1995, fan press existed in 1995, even the Internet (in its nascent form) existed in 1995. People knew about Age of Apocalypse/the renumbering and retitling of the comics at least three months ahead of time.

Here's a thread from September 1994 about "a friend with scoops" (in other words probably someone who went to a convention) which later has corroboration of this happening through a Fabian Nicieza AOL post.

A couple of months later information seems to be filtering out, and a nerd rage thread is started about all the stupid bullshit problems they CLEARLY haven't thought of in these comics that have not yet been published.

These things were also published as promotional items to be given out at shops and (if I recall correctly) packaged with issues of Wizard/Overstreet/etc. several months before the issues came out.

Obviously twenty years ago all of this was much easier to miss than it is in a post-Google world, but it was pretty much the same situation as with Secret Wars in that as a reader you could be aware it was coming long before it was, and Marvel never really even tried to pretend it was permanent.

Also the backlash would have been less "oh no I am surprised by a story, my butt is so butthurt, oh my butt butt butt" butthurt little hurtbutts being whiny butthurt whiners and more "sweet, we have deceived pretty much everyone in our business chain and all our remaining retailers and all of their subscription based customers and probably a significant portion of our digital customers have been sold a false bill of goods, SUCK IT BUTTHURTS"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know it's already been all but explicitly said but I'm pretty sure deadpool 250 jumped the gun on showing how this all turns out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

Previews and other advance solicitations existed in 1995, fan press existed in 1995, even the Internet (in its nascent form) existed in 1995. People knew about Age of Apocalypse/the renumbering and retitling of the comics at least three months ahead of time.

Here's a thread from September 1994 about "a friend with scoops" (in other words probably someone who went to a convention) which later has corroboration of this happening through a Fabian Nicieza AOL post.

A couple of months later information seems to be filtering out, and a nerd rage thread is started about all the stupid bullshit problems they CLEARLY haven't thought of in these comics that have not yet been published.

These things were also published as promotional items to be given out at shops and (if I recall correctly) packaged with issues of Wizard/Overstreet/etc. several months before the issues came out.

Obviously twenty years ago all of this was much easier to miss than it is in a post-Google world, but it was pretty much the same situation as with Secret Wars in that as a reader you could be aware it was coming long before it was, and Marvel never really even tried to pretend it was permanent.

Also the backlash would have been less "oh no I am surprised by a story, my butt is so butthurt, oh my butt butt butt" butthurt little hurtbutts being whiny butthurt whiners and more "sweet, we have deceived pretty much everyone in our business chain and all our remaining retailers and all of their subscription based customers and probably a significant portion of our digital customers have been sold a false bill of goods, SUCK IT BUTTHURTS"

Saying "the Internet was a thing in '95" is a lot less impressive when you're talking about a time when something like 14% of Americans used the Internet in the first place. AOL, too, was a subscription service at the time, meaning not every Internet user even had access to Nicieza's posts. The information was there, but wasn't as widely or readily available. I do have a vague recollection of the stuff packaged with Wizard and Overstreet at the time, but as I never really bought either publication I can't speak to them; I got most of my upcoming news from CSN because it was free. Money spent on magazines about comics was money I wasn't spending on comics, after all!

At any rate, while a reader could be aware that AoA was coming, I don't think it's fair to say that the situations are comparable, because that knowledge was both trickier to find and had less lead time and market saturation. To know AoA was on the way required one to actively seek out that information; it takes active effort to avoid Secret Wars news these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wizard was definitely reporting on AoA before it hit and I feel like everyone either read Wizard or knew someone who did if they were into comics. I'm also fairly sure the comics themselves started talking about it at least a month or so beforehand. Generation X #4 definitely has a bit with Jubilee reading the "next month" blurb (which would be fore Generation Next #1) and commenting on how it sounds bad.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know it's already been all but explicitly said but I'm pretty sure deadpool 250 jumped the gun on showing how this all turns out.

I'm pretty sure Brevoort has explicitly said what will happen already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure Brevoort has explicitly said what will happen already.

Yeah but it's crazy seeing it already.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Saying "the Internet was a thing in '95" is a lot less impressive when you're talking about a time when something like 14% of Americans used the Internet in the first place. AOL, too, was a subscription service at the time, meaning not every Internet user even had access to Nicieza's posts. The information was there, but wasn't as widely or readily available. I do have a vague recollection of the stuff packaged with Wizard and Overstreet at the time, but as I never really bought either publication I can't speak to them; I got most of my upcoming news from CSN because it was free. Money spent on magazines about comics was money I wasn't spending on comics, after all!

At any rate, while a reader could be aware that AoA was coming, I don't think it's fair to say that the situations are comparable, because that knowledge was both trickier to find and had less lead time and market saturation. To know AoA was on the way required one to actively seek out that information; it takes active effort to avoid Secret Wars news these days.
That's an effect of the media landscape today, not Marvel's marketing efforts. Marvel did pretty much everything they could (comics media, conventions, house ads, in-store giveaways, proto-Internet) to get the word about Age of Apocalypse out there prior to the books. They're doing the same thing in twenty years later with Secret Wars, and you're correct that it's harder to ignore. But it's not like Marvel was trying to shroud it in more secrecy than Secret Wars.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

Wizard was definitely reporting on AoA before it hit and I feel like everyone either read Wizard or knew someone who did if they were into comics. I'm also fairly sure the comics themselves started talking about it at least a month or so beforehand. Generation X #4 definitely has a bit with Jubilee reading the "next month" blurb (which would be fore Generation Next #1) and commenting on how it sounds bad.

Even more than that, the storyline before Age of Apocalypse was the one where Legion goes back in time to try and kill Magneto, and ends up killing Xavier instead.
And I know that before the final issue of that was out, they were advertising a fan organized funeral/ceremony for Charles Xavier. So they had pretty much spoiled the ending to the story before it had come out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't mean to derail but I'm waiting on a whole collection of Duggan/Poseihn's Deadpool run. Would you mind elaborating?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Jiro posted:

Don't mean to derail but I'm waiting on a whole collection of Duggan/Poseihn's Deadpool run. Would you mind elaborating?

The incursions aren't stopped and the universe/multiverse dies.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Well....duh?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I knew AoA was coming from Wizard. Reading now that people were caught off guard or by surprise is news to me. Just like everyone knew Superman was dying 3 months in advance.

The only comic that has ever surprised me with a status quo change is and will probably only ever be Exiles #4 and I'm certain that's only because they solicited #5 and said nothing in the solicits.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Oh I thought he implied of the new status AFTER Secret Wars/Battleworld was over.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Wasn't Captain America dying a total surprise?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edit: Wrong thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah just springing this on people without a word of warning is the dumbest thing you could do ever from a business standpoint.

It is beyond idiotic and I can't see him being serous when he suggested that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PelvicNerve posted:

Yeah, I noticed this as well. As one of the people grumbling about the art in the main titles, I'd rather this guy was there.

The pages where Sunspot battles the Scientist Supreme were great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deadpool posted:

The pages where Sunspot battles the Scientist Supreme were great.

Really great issue. I gotta go back and catch up with World.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Really great issue. I gotta go back and catch up with World.

You really don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

You really don't.

I liked the first 12 issues or so then I dropped an issue and lost track of it. I thought it wasn't awful, what I read of it.

• Locked thread