Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hell, he had a whole arc dedicated to how TFS was dominating the entire scene.

Wait, which episodes were these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Bee posted:

Wait, which episodes were these?

The one based on the weird filler arc from the anime when they were stuck dueling in virtual reality land against Team 4-StarKids.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's funny, as I remember it, Naruto abridged was one of the first who tried to copy LittleKuriboh's formula, but they had really terrible jokes in it, so LittleKuriboh made his own Naruto series that was a lot funnier and eventually that Naruto Abridged evolved into TFS.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It kind of shocks me to remember how much abridged series were a thing. Forgot that I was into those things. Watched episode 50 of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged to see if that had the Team 4starkids plot and couldn't help, but wonder how I used to like this series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

It kind of shocks me to remember how much abridged series were a thing. Forgot that I was into those things. Watched episode 50 of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged to see if that had the Team 4starkids plot and couldn't help, but wonder how I used to like this series.

Well, they cropped up while YouTube was still a relatively new thing, our expectations of entertainment for free online were severely limited. Just remember how big Newgrounds used to be.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

tbp posted:

you raise some good points, and hell, i can never begrudge a fan their favorite character. also i am actually wondering if the androids can train now, or if they have a hard limit on their power levels. i bet they can train.
Why would I train if I could just ask a Briefs if they had any upgrades for me instead?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mentioned it last page but how is the Funimation streaming service? I'm willing to pay the $8 to watch Buu Saga and movies, but have no clue if they are uncut or in the right aspect ratio.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just felt this should be linked here after I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhO-ciBO0Y

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Covok posted:

Honestly Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged has the opposite issue from DBZ Abridged where it actually was funnier early on. Then Battle City ended and things just got weird.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember when that originally aired. I thought I was hearing things because there was no loving way Dende just said that on Cartoon Network at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged has the opposite issue from DBZ Abridged where it actually was funnier early on. Then Battle City ended and things just got weird.

Considering like 1/2 of that episode I watched had jokes from the Duelist Kingdom stuff, I guess he got caught up his own joke hole and got stuck in a sea of in-jokes and callbacks?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

Considering like 1/2 of that episode I watched had jokes from the Duelist Kingdom stuff, I guess he got caught up his own joke hole and got stuck in a sea of in-jokes and callbacks?

"A hole of in-jokes and callbacks" is basically the subtitle to YGO Abridged.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
None Piece was the only monkeycheese abridged series I liked and I completely forgot about it after episode 4.

I just caught up with it and wow, it's not monkeycheese anymore. And bad.

I guess good writing isn't for everyone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freakazoid_ posted:

None Piece was the only monkeycheese abridged series I liked and I completely forgot about it after episode 4.

I just caught up with it and wow, it's not monkeycheese anymore. And bad.

I guess good writing isn't for everyone.

Episode 8 got really weird.

And really word-over-black-background-y.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Covok posted:

Yup. Just a bunch of bad references and cutaway gags. TFS got it right when they decided to make the humor based around the situation the characters were in rather than rapid fire jokes based on references they used to do in Season One

Don't bother watching it at this point, it's total crap, not that you'll ever see much content from LK anyway. I'll remember the early episodes fondly but it's shocking just how bad it got later on.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't loving get the US dub... shouldn't it be all "darn it to heck" etc? Now they can say "piss" and "god" all of a sudden, but just for this one line? And "where balls are born"? Seriously? How can you mangle simple, straightforward dialogue like that? Why? :psyduck:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You guys react to "piss off", but I'm wondering why he refers to Poranga as the "God of Love".

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bell_ posted:

Why would I train if I could just ask a Briefs if they had any upgrades for me instead?

The power of hard work, and personal effort overcomes the science upgrades 100% of the time, except when the science is an old super god sitting near you with his palms turned towards you for like 20 hours, then that actually does make you the strongest character

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Raxivace posted:

DBM Chat: Is the most recent page the first time that Mr. Satan has appeared in this whole comic?

That made me think, a neat idea for an alternate universe is one where Mr. Satan actually WAS the strongest. He can do kaioken times infinity and Dynamite Kick the sun.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mordaedil posted:

You guys react to "piss off", but I'm wondering why he refers to Poranga as the "God of Love".

He never quite got over the 60's ending.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
DBZ Abridged gets a lot of mileage from character interactions and a genuine fondness for the original plot. YGO Abridged has a pretty limited supply of both those things so it's not surprising it ran out of steam a lot faster and had to start working from original material once Battle City ended.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Rand Brittain posted:

DBZ Abridged gets a lot of mileage from character interactions and a genuine fondness for the original plot. YGO Abridged has a pretty limited supply of both those things so it's not surprising it ran out of steam a lot faster and had to start working from original material once Battle City ended.

I think the difference is TFS are genuine fans of the source material whereas even early on LittleKuriboh seemed far more mocking of Yu Gi Oh and seemed to harbour disdain for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

I think the difference is TFS are genuine fans of the source material whereas even early on LittleKuriboh seemed far more mocking of Yu Gi Oh and seemed to harbour disdain for it.

I don't think that was it.

Little Kuriboh seems to have a legitimate fondness for the early arcs of the show and just likes the later stuff less and less which is why it starts going downhill and into original material so hard.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Mordaedil posted:

When I was a kid this line threw me so hard. Mind you this was before the days of YouTube so if my friends missed this episode they only had my word to go on that this bit of dialogue transpired at all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In terms of the Abridged series, I think the first line that had me in utter hysterics with TFS was Nappa's "I can fly." To this day, anyone I've introduced to the show just breaks down there. Like, I feel the overall quality of the early episodes is worse and I'm more engaged by their later work, but there a still a few absolute belters early on.

In terms of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, Lil' Kuriboh is entirely aware that it's just a pit of in jokes that really aren't that funny, I think it's episode 47 (or something), "Ishizu explains it all" literally out and out states that. But I get all the in jokes so I still enjoy it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still remember losing it at vegeta's "Christopher reeves" joke. Tasteless but hilarious.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

In terms of the Abridged series, I think the first line that had me in utter hysterics with TFS was Nappa's "I can fly." To this day, anyone I've introduced to the show just breaks down there. Like, I feel the overall quality of the early episodes is worse and I'm more engaged by their later work, but there a still a few absolute belters early on.

In terms of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, Lil' Kuriboh is entirely aware that it's just a pit of in jokes that really aren't that funny, I think it's episode 47 (or something), "Ishizu explains it all" literally out and out states that. But I get all the in jokes so I still enjoy it.

I still think episode 1 or so has some great stuff. The "We get it, you're from space!" exchange cracks me up every time.

"I was bitchslapped through a house!"

After that it's kinda eh until the saiyans arrive.

I'mtakingGohanbye

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm actually even pretty fond of the DBZA Saiyan arc, even it's not as good as Frieza/Androids I always loved how Goku was worried about Raditz hurting Krillin because "he'll break Kame House". It's also rather startling how close their King Kai voice is to the dub King Kai.

Though I do not like Mr. Popo except how he averts the Garlic Jr. arc.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

balls are born

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Monaghan posted:

I still remember losing it at vegeta's "Christopher reeves" joke. Tasteless but hilarious.

It's all in the delivery. Telling a tasteless joke everyone's heard before is one thing, but telling a joke about a crippled person while crippling a person? Genius.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My opinion on the early stuff is it's absolutely fantastic the first time through, way funnier than their current material, but it would hold up a lot less well on a subsequent watch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, the major difference between LK and TFS is that LK is a one-man engine. He does the writing, voicing 90% of the cast, and editing. Editing especially really loving sucks, not including try to do fancy stuff like Kaiser does. There's no filter going "No, that's bad. Cut it out of the script" for LK.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LK is a really good VA, he and Takahata should be in actual stuff.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
how strong is mr popo. i dont think its ever like fully established, and imo itd be sick if he was ret conned to have god ki because he sort of is always "just strong enough", i.e. when he manages to contain super sayain goten and trunks in the buu arc

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

tbp posted:

how strong is mr popo. i dont think its ever like fully established, and imo itd be sick if he was ret conned to have god ki because he sort of is always "just strong enough", i.e. when he manages to contain super sayain goten and trunks in the buu arc

I think a manga page puts it at 1030

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait, really? If that's official, then Mr. Popo could have beaten Demon King Piccolo, Ma Junior, and, possibly, Radditz.

There is no way that's real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Wait, really? If that's official, then Mr. Popo could have beaten Demon King Piccolo, Ma Junior, and, possibly, Radditz.

Mr. Popo was able to nosell the attack Goku used to kill King Piccolo so that might be right

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Covok posted:

"The movie pamphlet for Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might states that Mr. Popo has a power level of 300. According to a 1989 issue of the Weekly Shōnen Jump, Mr. Popo's power level during the Saiyan Saga is 1,030. Later, in the Majin Buu Saga, Mr. Popo is shown blocking and dodging nearly all of Super Saiyan Goten and Super Saiyan Trunks' attacks, and upon being kicked by Goten, he appears to have been completely unscathed by the attack, showing that he is far more powerful than originally thought."

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

He was able to defeat garlic jr, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popo and Buu are both supplied to be genies, right?

Clearly Popo is on Buu's level.

• Locked thread