Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

icantfindaname posted:

I'm not actually sure the caricature of a white antebellum plantation owner would register as negative for many southern conservatives

ofc it doesnt. Why do you think so many white people get married at plantations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

ofc it doesnt. Why do you think so many white people get married at plantations?

Too cheap for a destination wedding?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Too cheap for a destination wedding?

It's more that the destination they've chosen is the past.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Are we talking consensual weddings between people with different shapes of junk here, or are we talking poor terrified Christians being forced to marry gays against their will, because I have heard that the gaystapo is going to force their marriage agenda on us all!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Chantilly Say posted:

It's more that the destination they've chosen is the past.

The past is a foreign country.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stultus Maximus posted:

Salmon fishermen are probably communists anyway.

lmao no

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ErIog posted:

Gee, I wonder which part of the campaign you're responsible for. You're one of the guys that goes door-to-door, right? You should have more faith in the worth of your job.

He's from the north shore, his daddy got him a job.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

god I love my state.

Moronic ultraconservative Hal Heiner currently leading GoP primary polling for KY governorship.

I applaud this, as he is the candidate least equipped to upset the eventual Democratic nominee.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

god I love my state.

Moronic ultraconservative Hal Heiner currently leading GoP primary polling for KY governorship.

I applaud this, as he is the candidate least equipped to upset the eventual Democratic nominee.

Careful what you wish for, lest you end up with Joe Walsh: southern edition.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Careful what you wish for, lest you end up with Joe Walsh: southern edition.

I don't mean heiner can't win because he is too extreme, I mean he can't win because he is, through some cosmic happenstance, uniquely poorly-placed among the GoP field to attack Democratic weaknesses.

Dems' presumptive nominee, attorney general Jack Conway, is a slick biglaw type from Louisville. State GoP has been banking on overcoming democratic institutional momentum and fiscal advantage by exploiting cultural resentments. Their establishment candidate, agriculture comissioner jim comer, is ideal for this, being a big corn-fed farm dude from the rural hinterlands.

Heiner, though, is a fatcat Louisville financier.
How can you attack your opponent for being a Louisville fatcat if you are yourself a Louisville fatcat?

He's Joe Walsh only if Joe Walsh were a texan cowboy who would ride up and spit sunflower seeds at collar county suburbanites' dogs.

Heiner is also more effete than Conway, meaning that he will have a harder time taking advantage should people discover (or start to suspect) that Conway is a secret gay, as the commonwealth law-office rumor mill suggests.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

PupsOfWar posted:

How can you attack your opponent for being a Louisville fatcat if you are yourself a Louisville fatcat?

It's pretty easy when you have no morals and your opponent lacks enough of a spine to call you out on it.

Even if you do get called out on it, your rabid conservative base has to care enough to sit home and ignore the drum-beating the most conservative person will do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

Because Conway is the Louville Fatcat, and brother, Louisville only got room for one fatcat. Besides, a vote for Conway is a vote for the Obama-Clinton agenda.

You overestimate the impact of hypocracy upon voting. Far more important is party identification and money.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PupsOfWar posted:

Say they voted for Obama.

EDIT: In actual news, Kansas effectively banned all abortions after 12-14 weeks today.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 8, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

You overestimate the impact of hypocracy upon voting. Far more important is party identification and money.

You underestimate the importance of civility/respectability politics in the midsouth.

you can win a statewide with a couple hundred grand and maybe a third of voters are registered with the party they will reliably vote for. Turnout's pretty stagnant (low), no real electioneering machinery. "Candidate who spends the most wins the most" is not nearly as reliable an axiom as it is in bigger, wealthier states. Still a trend, sure, but not by the same margins.

The key here is not to fill the airwaves with messaging and plausibly-deniable attack ads, but to generate vaguely adequate name-recognition without bothering anybody or seeming like you really want to win. Push too hard, people figure you're hifalutin' and you lose. Conway hopefully learned this lesson from the severe backfiring of his anti-Rand campaign in '10.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

How long until this is ruled unconstitutional? There's no way any court would uphold this, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

I'm not actually sure the caricature of a white antebellum plantation owner would register as negative for many southern conservatives
You would be correct.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Old James posted:

White SC cop video taped shooting a fleeing suspect in the back. Claims self-defense, being charged with murder.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/07/3644139/sc-cop-charged-with-murder/

Is there any thread talking about this? Because, Jesus, this is hosed up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastervj posted:

Criminal Justice thread here

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Hello USPol, I have a question that might seem a bit odd, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it, as goons basically know everything.

How does a foreign national (In this case me, a Brit) send a letter to an ex-President? I mean literally, where do I send it? Also how do you address them? Mr ex-President? Mr Surname? I don't want to get droned y'know.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

You address them as Mr. Surname. For the address on the envelope, you would use The Honorable <full name>.

There's a list of mailing addresses here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't mean heiner can't win because he is too extreme, I mean he can't win because he is, through some cosmic happenstance, uniquely poorly-placed among the GoP field to attack Democratic weaknesses.

Dems' presumptive nominee, attorney general Jack Conway, is a slick biglaw type from Louisville. State GoP has been banking on overcoming democratic institutional momentum and fiscal advantage by exploiting cultural resentments. Their establishment candidate, agriculture comissioner jim comer, is ideal for this, being a big corn-fed farm dude from the rural hinterlands.

He's Joe Walsh only if Joe Walsh were a texan cowboy who would ride up and spit sunflower seeds at collar county suburbanites' dogs.

Heiner is also more effete than Conway, meaning that he will have a harder time taking advantage should people discover (or start to suspect) that Conway is a secret gay, as the commonwealth law-office rumor mill suggests.

Doesn't help that the typical democratic response to Jack Conway is "ugh". At least he's not Lunsford.

Maybe Democrats should head off the gay thing by running Jim Gray.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Theris posted:

You address them as Mr. Surname. For the address on the envelope, you would use The Honorable <full name>.

There's a list of mailing addresses here.

That's brilliant, thank you very much.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Photos from the East Egg Roll

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

This sounds like it only focuses on Republican primary elections.

Not a whole lot happened in the Dem primary in 2012.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

Not a whole lot happened in the Dem primary in 2012.

Even some General Election stuff would be interesting though.

"Generic Republican wins out over Tea Partier" could be the Thad Cochran effect as much as anything else.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Hello USPol, I have a question that might seem a bit odd, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it, as goons basically know everything.

How does a foreign national (In this case me, a Brit) send a letter to an ex-President? I mean literally, where do I send it? Also how do you address them? Mr ex-President? Mr Surname? I don't want to get droned y'know.

Who are you writing to and what about, might I ask?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “It would be something more along the lines of what President Clinton did in December 1998 during Operation Desert Fox. Several days air and naval bombing against Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction facilities for exactly the same kind of behavior. For interfering with weapons inspectors and for disobeying Security Council resolutions. All we’re asking is that the president simply be as tough as in the protection of America’s national security interest as Bill Clinton was.” ~ Tom Cotton

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Chamale posted:

Who are you writing to and what about, might I ask?

Sure, I saw today that Bush Jnr. and I share a birthday, and while we're so far apart on the political spectrum you probably can't even measure it, I saw a documentary on the BBC about him on the campaign trail a few years ago and he seemed a really charming, nice guy, in his own way. Now he's not in charge anymore and just doing his paintings I thought I'd send him a birthday card and :20bux: so he could get some beers on me for his birthday.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “It would be something more along the lines of what President Clinton did in December 1998 during Operation Desert Fox. Several days air and naval bombing against Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction facilities for exactly the same kind of behavior. For interfering with weapons inspectors and for disobeying Security Council resolutions. All we’re asking is that the president simply be as tough as in the protection of America’s national security interest as Bill Clinton was.” ~ Tom Cotton

So...Tom Cotton wants us to bomb Iraq again? Is that what I'm supposed to take away from this? Because if he's talking about us carpet-bombing Iran, this is even more laughably stupid than that idiotic letter he and the rest of those assholes wrote to their leaders.

It never ceases to amuse me how the right thinks that we worship at the altar of Bill Clinton they way they do Ronald Reagan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I thought I'd send him a birthday card and :20bux: so he could get some beers on me for his birthday.

He's rather infamous for being sober for 28 years now, just FYI.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

Ah balls, I forgot that. Oh well, he can buy some cake or something.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

But according to Republicans that didn't work at all and Iraq was on the verge of creating nukes and synthesizing chemical and biological weapons. I know that the whole point is to just give war a chance, but don't you have to at least pretend you learned something from last time?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^^^Repiblicans would eventually claim that it didn't work, at the time they seriously criticized Clinton for doing it to distract from whatever scandals. Also Iran hasn't yet violated the terms of their agreement or kicked out inspectors.

Tom Cotton seems to have a particular talent for packing a whole lot of stupid into relatively few words.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 8, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ah balls, I forgot that. Oh well, he can buy some cake or something.

drat I was hoping you were aiming for a relapse. Mr. President, we all float down here :unsmigghh:.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

any word on Ward 2 out of Ferguson yet? I'm interested to see how that race shakes out

The I <3 Ferguson guy won.

Two black candidates won other races.

quote:

For the first time in Ferguson’s 120-year history, the City Council will have three African-American members, but even so, Tuesday’s election was less than a clear victory for the throngs of volunteers who poured into the city in a last-minute push to sway voters.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of the results for Ferguson City Council was that 30 percent of the city’s 12,738 registered voters cast ballots — more than double the typical turnout.

The high turnout did not favor two candidates supported by protesters: Bob Hudgins and Lee Smith.

Hudgins, a self-identified protester and independent journalist, who ran in the 2nd Ward, lost to former Mayor Brian Fletcher, founder of the “I love Ferguson” campaign.

“I was being portrayed by the media as an establishment candidate and the old guard,” Fletcher said. “I guess the signal was sent tonight that this old dog has a few tricks ... Experience isn’t a bad thing. It can be a good thing.”

Smith, a retiree, ran against Wesley Bell in the 3rd Ward. Bell is a municipal court judge in Velda City.

In the days leading up to the election, dozens of volunteers canvassed neighborhoods for Bell and Smith. The two were supported by a coalition of groups, including Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment, the Organization for Black Struggle, the Working Families Party and the Service Employees International Union.

Patricia Bynes, the outspoken Democratic committeewoman of Ferguson Township, managed the campaigns of both the men.

Ferguson’s population is 67 percent black, but as of Tuesday, just one of six council seats was held by an African-American: Dwayne James in the 2nd Ward.

In the 1st Ward, Ella Jones, the other soon-to-be African-American council member, garnered nearly 50 percent of the vote in a four-way race. Jones raised more money than all of her opponents combined, thanks in part to a $7,000 donation from the Communication Workers of America.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

drat I was hoping you were aiming for a relapse. Mr. President, we all float down here :unsmigghh:.

Oh I'm open to that outcome too. I need something eye-catching on my CV after all.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Someone needs to turn https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/2000/1*XV1z5KSl4Fauf--sAaj7PQ.jpeg into a :vince: to make it the official gif of Trollbama

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

I'm reminded of Krauthammer's "what harm would bombing do?" suggestion for handling Iran.

Joementum posted:

Well, public persona at least. I have a buddy who was a WH marine guard there, he had some stories about the stuff that goes on there, and I have no reason to doubt him. Among them was that Bush would from time to time come down to the station for them with beer to drink and bullshit, that in private he was a blast to be around.

Also Rumsfeld apparently has horrible breath. Like "just ate a plate of poo poo" horrible.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 8, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

mastervj posted:

Cop is being charged with murder. I don't see anything wrong with this picture - the justice system is working as designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Except for the part where he would have gotten away had there been no civilian video. Though I suppose that's a feature not a bug.

• Locked thread