Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

bagual posted:

Doesn't count, they are a subjugated peoples under the anglo empire of tyranny :canada:

Seriously though, portuguese is also an iberian language. Brazilians (who live away from the borders) generally feel kinda distanced from general hispanic american culture, but no one would question we're a part of latin america.

I was asking because I know a few Brazilians who bristle at being called Latin American or Hispanic.

quote:

This remembers me of a funny linguistic quirk in brazilian-hispanic mutual understanding, apparently it's way harder for spanish-speakers to learn portuguese than the other way around because while all spanish syllables and sounds exist within the portuguese language there are a lot of intonations and language structures specific to portuguese (and brazilian portuguese). This results in a lot of brazilian tourists who never formally learned spanish to go around latin america speaking a weird portuñol and getting by just fine, while brazilian hotels and businesses in touristic cities generally keep spanish-fluent staff.

That's been my experience, both in South America and Iberia. Brazilians and Portuguese have a much easier time with Spanish than vice versa. As a non-native speaker of both Spanish and Portuguese, I can say that Portuguese is much more difficult and irregular, in terms of both spelling and grammar, than Spanish. Before learning Portuguese, I got by without problems speaking Spanish and then Portunhol in Brazil (even though some Brazilians seemed to resent being addressed in Spanish).

(On a tangent, I've heard a gaucho from Porto Alegre tell me that Rioplatense voseo is due to the influence of Brazilian Portuguese.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I met a guy on Lisbon that argued that portuguese was a dialect of Galician whose name was changed to give credibility to the newly founded Kingdom of Portugal but then he started rambling about merging portuguese with spanish and make it a global language called Ecolingua and how Lula stole his idea for the University of the Lusophone Nations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

I was asking because I know a few Brazilians who bristle at being called Latin American or Hispanic.

"Latin American" and "Hispanic" mean different things.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

"Latin American" and "Hispanic" mean different things.

Thank you for your Valuable Contribution.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

TheImmigrant posted:

Well, I guess "hispanic" would really ruffle some feathers as most people are generally disgruntled of Brazil being portrayed as spanish-speaking. The problem is that the "Latino" stereotype is already incredibly generalizing when applied to hispanic american culture, and including brazilians just turns it absurd. That said, saying "Brazil is a Latin American country" probably won't be controversial, we're latin americans by language and history, it's just that the term doesn't imply cultural homogenity or that much similarity to hispanic-american culture as US pop culture reads into it.

quote:

(On a tangent, I've heard a gaucho from Porto Alegre tell me that Rioplatense voseo is due to the influence of Brazilian Portuguese.)

Thats the occult influence of Free Matesonry, a secret pampa brotherhood forged around feeling miserable and cold in the winter drinking mate, sheltering it and eachother from the frickin horrible antarctic winds.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Brazilians (the middle-class-and-above variety, at least) also have a weird reluctance to be associated with the rest of Latin America in general, seeing them as either annoying rivals (Argentina), lovely backwaters (mostly everywhere else) or the USA's crappy back yard (Mexico). I was always interest in diplomacy (tried for the Itamaraty diplomat corps, even), and whenever I brought any ongoing trade deal/initiative to foster ties with other local countries everyone would just groan, while any bits about dealing with even smaller European countries would be enthusiastically approved. "You mean we may get a favored status with Monaco to sell them banana jam? Hell yeah, it's all coming up Bazil now!"

It feels to me like a national version of the petit-burgoise syndrome. You don't want to identify with your neighbors, you want the landlord to give you big wet smile and call you by your first name when he comes to collect rent!

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
That happens everywhere. Argentinians are all the time comparing themselves with Europe (we are all just temporarily embarrassed Europeans, you see), and making GBS threads on "the browns" around them. Maybe those movements that try to talk about a LA unity aren't all that mistaken.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Reminder that the Brazilian elite thinks Miami, of all places, is paradise on Earth.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Could be that Brazil thanks to the Mato Groso and Amazonas is somewhat isolated from the rest of the continent save from the southern border with Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay. So they don't share a lot of common history and cultural ties like you could encounter with gaúchos and their neighbours.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Reminder that the Brazilian elite thinks Miami, of all places, is paradise on Earth.

Compared to Sampa, it is.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Brazilians (the middle-class-and-above variety, at least) also have a weird reluctance to be associated with the rest of Latin America in general, seeing them as either annoying rivals (Argentina), lovely backwaters (mostly everywhere else) or the USA's crappy back yard (Mexico). I was always interest in diplomacy (tried for the Itamaraty diplomat corps, even), and whenever I brought any ongoing trade deal/initiative to foster ties with other local countries everyone would just groan, while any bits about dealing with even smaller European countries would be enthusiastically approved. "You mean we may get a favored status with Monaco to sell them banana jam? Hell yeah, it's all coming up Bazil now!"

It feels to me like a national version of the petit-burgoise syndrome. You don't want to identify with your neighbors, you want the landlord to give you big wet smile and call you by your first name when he comes to collect rent!

Markovnikov posted:

That happens everywhere. Argentinians are all the time comparing themselves with Europe (we are all just temporarily embarrassed Europeans, you see), and making GBS threads on "the browns" around them. Maybe those movements that try to talk about a LA unity aren't all that mistaken.

It is a fairly common phenomenon in Latin America, especially Chile, Brazil and Argentina. The old dependency folks used to call it the "comprador bourgeoisie." Highly unequal, poor countries will have an elite that is outward looking. In Brazil, in particular, that translates to an obsession in being cosmopolitan in consumption, but not ideology.

There are a number of great examples of this. When Bossa Nova was first released in Brazil in the late 1950s, it was mostly ignored in Brazil. Then in 1962 Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd discover it, it becomes popular in the US, and suddenly people in Brazil love it. Nowadays it is a common strategy to release records aimed at the upper middle classes first in the US so they can be sold as "international successes" in Brazil (e.g., Bebel Gilberto).

It is the same reason Outback and TGI Friday's are huge hits in Brazil, why people in Brazil actually dress up to go to mcdonald's. If you are upper middle class, you have to throw superbowl parties now (and pay through the nose for Patriots' jerseys), have a St. Patrick's day party, a halloween party (and complain about the June Saints parties). Back when Lula was about to be elected, I heard many people unironically complain about how embarrassing it would be to go from Cardoso, who would do speeches at the UN in French, to Lula, who not only did not speak other languages, but certainly wouldn't have the manners to behave at foreign dinner parties.

Back in the mid 2000s, this obsession with looking cosmopolitan reached its peak ridiculousness with the Nike Shox. Whenever I would travel to Brazil, I knew I had arrived at the right gate when I saw everybody wearing nike shox.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2015

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

TheImmigrant posted:

This is from personal experience, of course, but hispanic is not a term commonly used here and would imply ethnicity, while latin american is pretty well estabilished.

joepinetree posted:

I had arrived at the right gate when I saw everybody wearing nike shox.

The nike shox was a blight, every boy in school dreamed of having one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The bourgeoisie and foreigners buying havaianas for absurd prizes when until 15 years ago they were a staple of 1,99 stores and associated with poor people is amazing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The bourgeoisie and foreigners buying havaianas for absurd prizes when until 15 years ago they were a staple of 1,99 stores and associated with poor people is amazing.

Probably one of the best rebranding campaigns of all time, really.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Something very horrible happened in Brazil this week, a poor 10 years old boy was shot dead by the police, while just sitting in front of his house, in the favelas of Complexo do Alemão, Rio de Janeiro

It caused quite an uproar nationwide, and once again the RJ so-called "pacification" program (the UPPs) are being questioned and criticized for militarizing the favelas and terrorizing its residents.

Very strong images

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I visited RJ last year for the world cup, and I can tell that even if Brazil is seen sometimes as a distant cousin than a brother in our grand latin american brotherhood, they are very similar cultural wise.

Also most people in brazil love mexicans from what I could tell, thanks Chavez (chavo), RBD and Thalia, you guys have been the true diplomatic figures for us mexicans in all of Latin America.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article17053712.html

Haitian president Michel Martelly's approval rating is 57 percent. While 70 percent of Haitians think the country is heading in the wrong direction and 80 percent are unemployed.

:iiam:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Let me provide some of the Olavo de Carvalho highlights to the uninitiated:

- Because of the gay rights movements, there are now books teaching kids how to perform oral sex on elephants
- Marxism and darwinism were both born out of satanism
- Humans don't need brains to live
- Scientists can't tell human and chimpanzee fetuses apart.
- Fossil fuels don't exist, as scientists have found hydrocarbons in a galaxy "na puta que pariu," where they never had dinosaurs.
- And my absolute favorite: the law of inertia is fake and Isaac Newton was stupid.

As a friend once said, these MBL and Olavete folks aren't libertarian. They are feudal plutocrats. They rail against quotas in the public universities, but not the provision of free public universities themselves. They rail against the income tax (which is the only part of the Brazilian tax code that is moderately progressive, but that only makes about 1/4 of all tax receipts), but not consumption tax. They, like most of the upper classes, rail against bolsa familia, but not against the salaries of the judiciary branch (since most of them are trying to get work there).
Haha holy poo poo I thought republicans were bad.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I met a guy on Lisbon that argued that portuguese was a dialect of Galician whose name was changed to give credibility to the newly founded Kingdom of Portugal but then he started rambling about merging portuguese with spanish and make it a global language called Ecolingua and how Lula stole his idea for the University of the Lusophone Nations.

Did he also mention how Portugal was once pluricontinental and how Sebastian will one day return to restore Portugal's empire and glory?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Omi-Polari posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article17053712.html

Haitian president Michel Martelly's approval rating is 57 percent. While 70 percent of Haitians think the country is heading in the wrong direction and 80 percent are unemployed.

:iiam:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Martelly is literally the second or third head of state in the Americas with the highest approval rate.

(the figures are two months old - Evo's numbers have dropped somewhat, Tabaré Vásquez is starting his mandate in the mid-50's, Bachelet's approval is currently plummeting, and Dilma's has probably sunk even lower)

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 8, 2015

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Martelly is literally the second or third head of state in the Americas with the highest approval rate.

(the figures are two months old - Evo's numbers have dropped somewhat, Tabaré Vásquez is starting his mandate in the mid-50's, Bachelet's approval is currently plummeting, and Dilma's has probably sunk even lower)

What the Christ, Ollanta... :psyduck:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ulvino posted:

What the Christ, Ollanta... :psyduck:

I think he changed his position on mining literally as soon as he got elected and now everyone hates him.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Would there be any interest in making a "proper" catch-all Latin America (South America maybe? Mexico has its own thread and I've not seen much about Central America being posted) thread? This thread shows that there are people who would engage, but the OP (really the first few pages) is awful and don't inform anyone about anything other than the fact that Pinochet is not particularly well regarded. There's quite a few things going on at the continental level this year that may solicit further attention. The OP could have small effortposts about each country or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'd definitely be interested. Just be sure to use the FUERA GRINGOS tag.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Would there be any interest in making a "proper" catch-all Latin America (South America maybe? Mexico has its own thread and I've not seen much about Central America being posted) thread? This thread shows that there are people who would engage, but the OP (really the first few pages) is awful and don't inform anyone about anything other than the fact that Pinochet is not particularly well regarded. There's quite a few things going on at the continental level this year that may solicit further attention. The OP could have small effortposts about each country or something.

Where is the Mexico thread?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can any of the Brazil posters explain to me what "terceirização" is, in terms of whatever this law the Congress wants to pass? I've read a couple articles about it and I'm still sort of confused.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Badger of Basra posted:

Can any of the Brazil posters explain to me what "terceirização" is, in terms of whatever this law the Congress wants to pass? I've read a couple articles about it and I'm still sort of confused.

"terceirização" is like when a big company hires a specialized company to take care of their security or cleaning or IT, instead of hiring the staff for this functions directly. This is already legal.

What changes is basically that if this new law passes, a car factory would be able to hire another company to actually work building cars on their factories, which is not legal now (you can only "tercerize" auxiliary functions like security etc).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

"terceirização" is like when a big company hires a specialized company to take care of their security or cleaning or IT, instead of hiring the staff for this functions directly. This is already legal.

What changes is basically that if this new law passes, a car factory would be able to hire another company to actually work building cars on their factories, which is not legal now (you can only "tercerize" auxiliary functions like security etc).

So is this a way to undermine unions?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Outsourcing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Badger of Basra posted:

Pretty much. Specially, the union of "metalworkers" (people who work at car factories, I dont know if that is the right word in english) is very strong

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Not only unions, but, more importantly, labor rights. This is essentially a way to bypass labor rights. In the example Elias_Maluco gave, if the car company actually hires the workers, they have to follow all labor laws with regards to that employee. If the car company hires another company to provide the workers, this other company is responsible for complying with the labor laws. So it adds that extra layer in there that protects the bigger companies from having to deal with workers' rights. If that other company fails, goes bankrupt because of labor violations, etc, the initial company is off the hook.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

SexyBlindfold posted:

Latin American approval figures are pointless. People tend to support anyone who actually does anything in office be the effects positive or negative for the nation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

Latin American approval figures are pointless. People tend to support anyone who actually does anything in office be the effects positive or negative for the nation.

Then why are Maduro and Fernández so low? :v:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It didn't start as a megathread. Feel free to make your own thread if you don't like this one.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Badger of Basra posted:

Then why are Maduro and Fernández so low? :v:

Cristina's approval rate is about 50% of positive image right now but she has 50% of negative, no middle ground.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

PerpetualSelf posted:

That's not true, Mujica did absolutely nothing and look at him.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Polidoro posted:

That's not true, Mujica did absolutely nothing and look at him.

he legalized it

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

No, it's been legal for at least 40 years. He passed a law that changed absolutely nothing and he did it right on time to distract attention from one of he biggest corruption scandals in history. I voted for him, but he was the worst president I can remember (I'm 29).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Polidoro posted:

No, it's been legal for at least 40 years. He passed a law that changed absolutely nothing and he did it right on time to distract attention from one of he biggest corruption scandals in history

Wait, what? Can you elaborate this a bit? I never heard of this.

Here in Brazil everybody loves him, lots of friends want to move to Uruguay because he is so awesome and legalized marijuana and abortion and lives like a poor oldman.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Consuming weed has been legal, like, forever here. I'm not really sure on dates on this. It was only illegal to buy and it still is because the law passed just to get headlines and then it wasn't actually enforced. You can't buy weed on pharmacies and probably never will because Tabaré Vazquez is against it. And it all happened right when a scandal involving our national airline getting sold was uncovered and the government lost over a hundred million dollars and made the Economy Minister resign. Then international press caught on it and started reporting non stop because people are obsessed with weed and dear Pepe liked being on the covers of papers so much that he spent the rest of his term trying to remain there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I would love a new general thread.