Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

My computer's stats are in between the minimum and recommended system reqs, but I wonder if my PS4 would be the better experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lyer posted:

My computer's stats are in between the minimum and recommended system reqs, but I wonder if my PS4 would be the better experience.

Just turn shadows and SSAO off, and you can run the game at a higher resolution than the PS4.

I only say it because it'll be cheaper to buy on PC than a console. Greenman's preorder prices and coupons take off 12 or more dollars. But do what you want, man. Who knows?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
^^Also what he said.

Lyer posted:

I don't think anyone is going to be able to speak definitively on this until the game is released.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

release your game before you announce expansions.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

iCe-CuBe. posted:

release your game before you announce expansions

Doesn't bother me.

Nearly every dev that has released an expansion planned it from the start. It's not like you decide to allocate a fuckton of labor and money on a whim. What's the point in keeping it a secret?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Archimago posted:

^^Also what he said.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to speak definitively on this until the game is released.

Yeah and that's the kicker. I have a 760 gtx and a i5 4570 and while I'll be able to play with better graphics, I wonder what the FPS will look like. Part of the reason why I like the PS4 version is because of the known quantity, we've seen ps4 gameplay and its 1080p at 30 fps.

If I wasn't a responsible adult, I'd just say gently caress it and buy a 970.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

iCe-CuBe. posted:

release your game before you announce expansions

Alternatively, don't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lyer posted:

Yeah and that's the kicker. I have a 760 gtx and a i5 4570 and while I'll be able to play with better graphics, I wonder what the FPS will look like. Part of the reason why I like the PS4 version is because of the known quantity, we've seen ps4 gameplay and its 1080p at 30 fps.

If I wasn't a responsible adult, I'd just say gently caress it and buy a 970.

You could get it cheaper already on PC purely off of the discount for owning the previous games, but if you're worried you could just get it on PS4 now and then buy it again for $2 on Steam in a year or so (which is apparently the length of the game anyway). The Witcher series gets fantastic deals.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get why people don't suggest turning down the resolution. You can turn on all the fancy effects and high res textures you want and still have a pretty steady FPS when you drop it down to 720p.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't get why people don't suggest turning down the resolution. You can turn on all the fancy effects and high res textures you want and still have a pretty steady FPS when you drop it down to 720p.

this post is extremely hosed up

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What? :psyduck:

Why would anyone do that?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

720p? What are we? Console proles?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Given the choice, I'd take 1080 over fancy effects. I barely notice the fancy effects, honestly, but I definitely notice lower resolution.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Also, not running on your monitors native resolution is a sin. Pretty sure people burn in hell for that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Guess it's just me.

Got my GTX 960 in today.

Probably gonna play Witcher 3 with shadows on high, textures on ultra high, max lights, SSAO enabled, at 1024×576.

Beautiful.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

PureRok posted:

Also, not running on your monitors native resolution is a sin. Pretty sure people burn in hell for that.

Witcher 2 ran at a stable frame rate for me at 4K/UHD, but there was definitely input lag - running at 1080p though removed the input lag even though the framerate itself was fine. I'm doubtful I'll be able to run at 4K (GTX970) but a man can dream.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
GTX 960 is kinda doubtful, but it should do I suppose. Were you in the intended crowd of 600-series card like me?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This is the game that's probably going to kill my 460GTX.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought there was a breakdown of which video cards from which retailers come with a copy of TW3 a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it. Help?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

I thought there was a breakdown of which video cards from which retailers come with a copy of TW3 a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it. Help?

Typing Witcher 3 and nvidia into google comes up with this:
http://www.geforce.com/GetWitcher3

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iCe-CuBe. posted:

release your game before you announce expansions.
Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

He's not saying before you MAKE expansions, but before you RELEASE the main game.

But, this is no different than Marvel putting out a superhero movie timeline until 2023. It gives people another chance at awareness as well as something ELSE to look forward to in the future.

This announcement won't make me preorder it, but now I know there's something else to look for if I choose to regarding this game. It's basic marketing and it hurts no one.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 8, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

He's not saying before you MAKE expansions, but before you RELEASE the main game.

But, this is no different than Marvel putting out a superhero movie timeline until 2023. It gives people another chance at awareness as well as something ELSE to look forward to in the future.

This announcement won't make me preorder it, but now I know there's something else to look for if I choose to regarding this game. It's basic marketing and it hurts no one.

He repeated himself so I repeated myself :shrug:. I'm saying that the game got delayed not because the game was not developed, but because it is so long/big/deep/whatever that the QA/bug fixing process needed more time; the people who designed the quests were probably sitting on their hands, so CDPR had them work on something. There is nothing wrong with having your paid employees do their jobs. If the game had been released on time this wouldnt even be a question.

edit: I understand people are frustrated the game is not out yet and was delayed twice, which does suck, but I am sick and tired of games being shittastic on release and am happy that CDPR did the right thing and delayed twice. If they have DLC in mind that their level builders are working on and they want to tell us about them, that doesnt make a drat difference. I'm happy to see they are working on additional content for the game....I got a new computer in large part to play W3, so if there is going to be extra content for it that excites me.

edit2: \/\/\/\/\/ Thank you Icy Fisty :hfive:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 8, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

"FYI Witcher fans: We finished most of the main game so we moved some people over to make this kick rear end expansion that will add tons of content. It'll be released later in the year."

I can't come up with a way to be mad about this without sounding ridiculous.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

The opinions of people who play videogames have never been trammeled by the thought of ridicule, or really any other thoughts when you get right down to it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I heard the janitor was cleaning things instead of prepping the game for release. Pre-order cancelled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bort Bortles posted:

You don't think they're fixing bugs in quests and environments, tweaking dialogue, and so forth? That sounds like exactly the stuff you want to be doing at the end, rather than core engine fixes. (Or whatever "do bug fixing" means, I'm not actually sure how you mean that to be different from "do programming".)

I think it's fine to announce expansions, and there's almost certainly surplus bandwidth versus peak development, but if they've washed their hands of quest and environment changes I'd be pretty surprised.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming they've just kept a few devs working any bugs raised by QA, with the rest of the team working on the expansions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They really should've fuckin' said that they've moved the Witcher team over to the Cyberpunk team to get that game out faster.

:argh:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Huh. Guess it's just me.

Got my GTX 960 in today.

Probably gonna play Witcher 3 with shadows on high, textures on ultra high, max lights, SSAO enabled, at 1024×576.

Beautiful.

You need to run at 1280x1024 on your 4k monitor, noob.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

"FYI Witcher fans: We finished most of the main game so we moved some people over to make this kick rear end expansion that will add tons of content. It'll be released later in the year."

Sounding ridiculous has never stopped me from being upset

in fact, it is an active encouragement

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

You don't think they're fixing bugs in quests and environments, tweaking dialogue, and so forth? That sounds like exactly the stuff you want to be doing at the end, rather than core engine fixes. (Or whatever "do bug fixing" means, I'm not actually sure how you mean that to be different from "do programming".)

I think it's fine to announce expansions, and there's almost certainly surplus bandwidth versus peak development, but if they've washed their hands of quest and environment changes I'd be pretty surprised.
I'm not going to get into semantics about the development process of a company I dont work for, so, this:

NaDy posted:

I'm assuming they've just kept a few devs working any bugs raised by QA, with the rest of the team working on the expansions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

After watching the recent 15 minute gameplay video, I will be purchasing a new video card today...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

8-bit Miniboss posted:

After watching the recent 15 minute gameplay video, I will be purchasing a new video card today...

What do you currently have?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

They really should've fuckin' said that they've moved the Witcher team over to the Cyberpunk team to get that game out faster.

:argh:

QFT.

Now where are our Cyberpunk teasers dammit?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im inferring from the talk in this thread that my radeon 4850 won't be adequate for this game. hmm..

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Drifter posted:

What do you currently have?

Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 4GB.

Though it's too late to stop me. It's done. :shepicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Verviticus posted:

im inferring from the talk in this thread that my radeon 4850 won't be adequate for this game. hmm..

most people talking about GARPHICS and poo poo insist on running games at 2160x1920 or whatever. Turn down shadows and SSAO off and have a decent resolution and many should be fine.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I have a Radeon 6870 but I'm gonna hold off on upgrading and see how it runs first. Minimum specs tend to pretty hefty. It's not like ordering and recieving a new card takes a long time.

Also gonna hold off on the expansion packs. I have faith in CDProjekt but I'm not willing to spend that much before getting my hands on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I meet - barely - the minimum reqs with an i5-2500k, 8GB RAM and a GTX 560 ti (which I figure should be roughly comparable to a 660) but, then again, I also have a PS4. I'm still not sure which version I'll go for.

Excited for this either way.

• Locked thread